• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park - Season 18 - Begins September 24th @ 10PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just that but popularity of this kind is very fleeting.

Generally, but I don't think the guy is anywhere near the peak of his popularity. Hell, the fact he got a South Park episode probably netted him a few more thousand (or tens of thousand) subscribers. It's a snowball that will take a while to slow down, at least I think so.

Can I just say, I'd subscribe to Cartman's channel in a heartbeat.

Two things that have stuck with me this season:

• They're really sticking to continuity of plotpoints this season, and keeping some gags running which is great.
  • I feel like there have been lots of nerd/videogame-centric episodes so far

I know these things have been done on the show before, but it feels like it's even more so this season.

Ah, a Kids These Days™ episode, plus more development on the Lorde subplot.

I've seen a few Let's Plays, starting with the first two Metal Gear Solids. The reason why I've watched them is to see games I don't have, usually on systems I don't have, with exception to the witty LPs on the Ouendan games. The biggest thing is that I prefer LPs without commentary, as I feel it gets in the way. I recently tried watching Rooster Teeth's LP of New Super Mario Bros. U, and I got annoyed quickly. Everyone is screaming into their mics, and Geoff is being a jerk by putting blocks in everyone's way.

Just watched the new episode.

Admittedly it's the weakest of the season, didn't really laugh out loud at anything.

Also I've always had a huge issue with comedies using cheating on your spouse as comedy.

Jado

Banned
Wasn't crazy about the episode, but I'll judge it after seeing the second part. I agree the LP stuff with Cartman wasn't meant to be funny. I also got a similar vibe as the person who mentioned Demolition Man, although I was thinking Terminator and Virtuosity.

A few episodes ago, they used a child getting raped as comedy. It's South Park.

Yeah true. I meant in general though. Doesn't happen too often though. To be fair, it was bad comedies I used to watch a lot of. Like Family Guy. Where the wife cheats on him with like 2-3 different guys and another episode she's calling him a dirty cheater.

CassSept

I also got a similar vibe as the person who mentioned Demolition Man, although I was thinking Terminator and Virtuosity.

I'm pretty sure an almost exact replica of Terminator theme played during that scene, I have no doubt it was meant to evoke the Terminator.

Just watched the last episode, kind of disappointed with how the MJ hologram subplot ended but obviously this is gonna be a two episode arc.

I'm guessing MJ is going to go after Cartman? There was some pretty old references MJ was making on the bus from seasons a few years ago when Cartman had that birthday party or whatever with MJ.

DeSo

Banned
"I would leave you my number but I'm just a hologram n' shit." And California Love is playing in the background. Lost my shit.

Linius

Never expected to see the most annoying gaming channel on Youtube in a South Park episode. But it was a solid episode. Mostly because they criticize the whole thing.

I do like LP's played by normal commentators by the way. It's practically my main source for deciding if a game is for me.

Ourobolus

Banned
Finally saw this one. Probably my least favorite this season so far. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't as funny. Although I did laugh my ass off when Stan's dad said to Sharon "Well if Stan hadn't given our savings to Canada, I wouldn't have to. If anyone was rubbing his clit, it was him!"

Did love all of the callbacks to the other episodes though.
I'm guessing MJ is going to go after Cartman? There was some pretty old references MJ was making on the bus from seasons a few years ago when Cartman had that birthday party or whatever with MJ.
He's definitely going after Ike.

Rich!

I love south park and have been a HUGE fan since 1998, but I'm not watching this episode.

I hate everything pewpiedick stands for. I have no idea why they actually gave him more of an audience than before. fucking hell.

Oh sweet they're making this two episodes. I was worried that this season won't have ones.
Very looking forward to see how it will end next week.

Kusagari

I love south park and have been a HUGE fan since 1998, but I'm not watching this episode.

I hate everything pewpiedick stands for. I have no idea why they actually gave him more of an audience than before. fucking hell.

He's the most subscribed channel on Youtube by an enormous margin. You had to know South Park would riff on him eventually.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

It's also a bit meta since I'm sure Matt and Trey realize that their show is over a decade old. The youth demo who watched their first episodes in the 90s is akin to the youth demo who watches crap like PDP now. Just as a lot of old people didn't really understand South Park at the time, many don't understand, or just don't like PDP now.

Regardless of whether you or the creators like PDP or not, it's a smart move to introduce themselves into the world of that youth demographic again by tapping into the star power of some European dude who does an outrageous parody of American bro culture and got a bajillion followers doing it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So did PDP actually film footage for this episode or did the creators just pay for the rights to show existing videos on the computer screens? Also this is the most PDP I've ever watched. He really is terrible. Wow. I will never understand kids today.

Can't wait for part 2.

Lol at rich thinking South Park could ever give him a bigger audience than he already has. The dude has millions of subscribers. If he were a Twitch streamer he'd be even more of a millionaire than he already is at $5 a pop per month.

Jado

Banned
So did PDP actually film footage for this episode or did the creators just pay for the rights to show existing videos on the computer screens? Also this is the most PDP I've ever watched. He really is terrible. Wow. I will never understand kids today.

Can't wait for part 2.

Lol at rich thinking South Park could ever give him a bigger audience than he already has. The dude has millions of subscribers. If he were a Twitch streamer he'd be even more of a millionaire than he already is at $5 a pop per month.

You don't think being on South Park would help bolster someone's popularity? The show airs in countries around the world and has a pretty huge audience.

I looked into the latter part of your post and Twitch streamers get $2.50 per sub. PDP's millions of young fans won't just uproot from Youtube, go over to Twitch (different demographic) and pay to subscribe -- and being younger on average, they likely wouldn't have much to donate either. A quick look seems to consistently show that top streamers make a few hundred thousand at most, far below the millions PDP is making now. I'm sure he (or swhoever handles his money) has done the math and realized it's not worth diverting time/resources away from Youtube and into Twitch.

And similarly, the top paid streamers wouldn't move to Youtube because they couldn't pull in the millions of subscribers needed there to make the equivalent amount they earn on Twitch.

this was actually rather ehm... silent for PDP usual fare with Amnesia and such. You know, casual use of the r-word and so on? If the bits in this episode is normal for him now, I would argue he's actually gotten a lot less insulting. Kind of grandpa actually.

I also feel that SP is kind of going full circle with this. Kids like loud things that are offensive to older people, like SP was when it started.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I wonder if Comedy Central / South Park paid to use PDP, if so it kinda undercuts the whole episode a bit.

If anything, I think the episode tried to cover too much ground.

Not sure how many here care but Trey Parker won the TGA 'best voice acting' award for Stick of Truth. His speech was amazing

"Only in video games can Trey Parker beat out Kevin Spacey for acting" and then he walked away. hahahahaha

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You don't think being on South Park would help bolster someone's popularity? The show airs in countries around the world and has a pretty huge audience.

I looked into the latter part of your post and Twitch streamers get $2.50 per sub. PDP's millions of young fans won't just uproot from Youtube, go over to Twitch (different demographic) and pay to subscribe -- and being younger on average, they likely wouldn't have much to donate either. A quick look seems to consistently show that top streamers make a few hundred thousand at most, far below the millions PDP is making now. I'm sure he (or swhoever handles his money) has done the math and realized it's not worth diverting time/resources away from Youtube and into Twitch.

And similarly, the top paid streamers wouldn't move to Youtube because they couldn't pull in the millions of subscribers needed there to make the equivalent amount they earn on Twitch.
I wasn't saying he should switch to Twitch. I was just saying that if subscribing via YouTube was like subscribing on Twitch there'd be a lot of money out there. Nothing more.

And PDP is already well known. The people who watch South Park who don't know he exists are the kinds of people who would never watch him anyway. Everyone who watches South Park who likes his kind of entertainment probably already knows he exists and already subscribes to him and his ilk. South Park won't give him even a small percentage of new viewers. Nor will it hurt his views either. It'd be silly to think otherwise.

B.K.

NhwyXR4.png

Just saw the promo during the Daily Show. Looks like it'll be a good finale.

Rembrandt

Banned
I'm very late, but this has been a great season, imo. I love the random continuity they have going on, I had no clue they were going to try their hand at that.

Hatchtag

Banned
10 episode season is not enough I need a 14-15 episode season

also ALLEGEDLY!!! XD

This season and the last season had a huge jump in quality. They're also the only ten episode seasons. There's a reason for this :p.
Anyways, I've now watched all of the season except for one episode. The Cissy and Grounded Vindaloop were my favorites. Vindaloop almost felt like a Futurama episode with how the plot was structured.

CassSept

This season and the last season had a huge jump in quality. They're also the only ten episode seasons. There's a reason for this :p.

Well, the second half of the last season. Until Black Friday trilogy season 17 was even worse than 16, tragically unfunny and badly plotted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom