• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park' Season 21 Takes on White Nationalist Movement

Cranster

Banned
screen_shot_2017-09-11_at_9_0.jpg

"Protestors armed with tiki torches and confederate flags take to the streets of South Park. Randy comes to grips with what it means to be white in today's society," according to the episode's description.

White nationalists made recent headlines after a protester at one of their rallies in Charlottesville was killed and numerous others were injured.

South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone told The Hollywood Reporter they hoped to return to more traditional one-off storylines with the kids this season, rather than get too heavy with politics, which inadvertently happened last year after they decided to make Mr. Garrison a Donald Trump- like character, which as was done because it was assumed Hillary Clinton would the elected president.

Parker said he liked that Cartman got a girlfriend last season and that might stick, but it looks like Member Berries may be done.

South Park season 21 premieres Sept. 13.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-white-nationalist-movement-season-21-1037559

kirblar

Not surprising that they're going after them after seeing the preview footage of Fractured But Whole. (the scene after you talk to Mackey)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
:O at Heidi x Cartman might still be a thing. I hated the seeming end of their relationship due to the fucked up ending caused by the election.

I'm going to guess that Matt & Trey don't take kindly to these types around here.

People accusing them of being right-wing are completely misguided.

The thing that's missing in that above image I feel is that the big youth presence in these white nationalist/alt-right demos. It's not just deydurkerdurrs rednecks

Trojita

I'm going to guess that Matt & Trey don't take kindly to these types around here.

People accusing them of being right-wing are completely misguided.

Always surprised me when people did that to be honest.

The last two seasons had people talking out their ass here when it was obvious they hadn't even watched the latest seasons. All started because of the meme spamming of PC Principal and people ironically getting triggered(!) over it.

Slaythe

I've recently rewatched a lot of the seasons, and god damn was the last one really awful.

I have full faith in them, it was just a bump they hit. I'm sure they learned a lot from it.

Trojita

Trey and Matt are still dumb as fuck about Global Warming. At the very least their message about it is.

BriGuy

Dr. Frankenstein takes on his monster.

Yeah, I know that's super unfair to South Park and I'm not being entirely serious, but part of me feels like a lot of the 20-something alt right crowd are probably fans who aren't "in" on a lot of the show's jokes.

That said, what a turn around from the PC Principal angle last season. I think that world is effectively dead.

Xe4

Banned
The last two seasons were pretty bad to be honest (though it's been going steadily downhill since season 12 anyhow). Hopefully this is a return to form, but we'll see.

South Park is best when it's just a bunch of kids going around on crazy adventures. The less involved it is in politics, the better, though it's impossible to be totally non-political, especially in today's climate.

Dr. Frankenstein takes on his monster.

Yeah, I know that's super unfair to South Park and I'm not being entirely serious, but part of me feels like a lot of the 20-something alt right crowd are probably fans who aren't "in" on a lot of the show's jokes.

That said, what a turn around from the PC Principal angle last season. I think that world is effectively dead.

Agreed. They made stupid jokes you could laugh at but morons took them at face value and now you have people that will quote South Park when discussing politics.

Aleh

I liked the last two seasons to be honest. But still glad to see they'll be going back to the one off episodes style again!

DarkKyo

I've recently rewatched a lot of the seasons, and god damn was the last one really awful.

Which is sad because I quite enjoyed the season-long story about ads and gentrification in season 19. But yeah season 20 sucked major donkey balls.

Top Bottom