• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, what a damn trip this was. I really enjoyed this anime, all the twists and turns, parodys and what have you. It was great.

I really hope they grab that 3rd season now, I feel like they were really hitting their stride in season 2.
I still love the Red Line parody ep best though.

They've been making google jokes since like episode two, Dr Gel used google maps to search for Dandy on a few occasions. Sorry, I mean gogol maps.

I thought it was pretty clear...

And it was called "Gogol Galaxy streetview". lol

Holy shit lol I usually get these connections/references really easily but I didn't connect two and two the whole show lol. Guess I pushed aside any major western references because it's anime.

DarkKyo

I got my preorder in for Boobies Wonderland. I'm really looking forward to it.

It's gon' be so good. Is there a preview of the rest of the tracks yet? Or at least a list? I want to know how long it is and if it has more than one song from any artist - for example OGRE YOU ASSHOLE had many songs in episode 21.

Edit: I just looked it up... 43 songs across 2 discs? Oh my science. I can't see myself listening to anything else for awhile once that comes out.

duckroll

It's gon' be so good. Is there a preview of the rest of the tracks yet? Or at least a list? I want to know how long it is and if it has more than one song from any artist - for example OGRE YOU ASSHOLE had many songs in episode 21.

Edit: I just looked it up... 43 songs across 2 discs? Oh my science. I can't see myself listening to anything else for awhile once that comes out.

There's a full track list on the official music site: http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/flyingdog/spacedandy/whatsnew/index.html

【Disc.1】
01.スペース☆ダンディ / ZEN-LA-ROCK feat.嫁入りランド
02.Hard Cocktail / ☆Taku Takahashi
03.Sci-Fi Palace / 菅野よう子
04.planet Voyage / TUCKER
05.Dandy's Fly / Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro
06.change the world / kensuke ushio(agraph)
07.何だか鬼気(笑)迫ってるじゃんよ! / 難波弘之
08.金色の玩具 / OGRE YOU ASSHOLE
09.Kogarashi / Latin Quarter
10.hawaiian ghost / TUCKER
11.roam in Osaka / 梅林太郎
12.lick tonight / LUVRAW&BTB
13.Dandy Beat / 向井秀徳
14.DANDY's Funky Night / 芳野藤丸
15.SPACE EXPRESS / 川辺ヒロシ
16.朝までKnightWriter / ☆Taku Takahashi
17.Napoleon & Bishop / ミト
18.バブル・オブ・バブル / OGRE YOU ASSHOLE
19.Gentle Moon / 永井聖一
20.Burning&Rising / 葛城ユキ
21.はいなっ / KenKen
22.Word Pack / Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro

【Disc.2】
01.かんちがいロンリーナイト / DROPKIX
02.Seaside Driving / 永井聖一
03.Boy on Space / TUCKER
04.classique d’amour〜愛のクラスィーク / 菅野よう子
05.bubbling sky / 笹沼位吉
06.Terra Beppin / ☆Taku Takahashi
07.Space Rendezvous / 芳野藤丸
08.ダンディに口づけ / 梅林太郎&ハヤシベトモノリ
09.FOCUS FRIDAY / 川辺ヒロシ
10.Dandy Guy / 向井秀徳
11.Seaman's Departure / Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro
12.弔う人 / OGRE YOU ASSHOLE
13.特攻野郎☆マイアミサンダー / ☆Taku Takahashi
14.宇宙船はマヒマヒの夢をみる / 菅野よう子
15.quiet city / TUCKER
16.Old Edition / ☆Taku Takahashi
17.何だか悲しくてやりきれないじゃんよ! / 難波弘之
18.I'm losing you / BTB(Pan Pacific Playa)
19.フェリー / OGRE YOU ASSHOLE
20.White House / OGRE YOU ASSHOLE
21.I should be … / ミト

DarkKyo

I saw the list on play-asia, thanks for posting it though! It looks amazing......

Edit: Kind of wish we got the English version of Lonely Nights.. it's so much better out of the two versions.

Articalys

I saw the list on play-asia, thanks for posting it though! It looks amazing......

Edit: Kind of wish we got the English version of Lonely Nights.. it's so much better out of the two versions.
Fun fact: Junichi Suwabe (Japanese voice of Dandy) was a guest at Anime Weekend Atlanta last weekend. He showed up for his Q&A panel dressed in full Dandy cosplay and even sang Lonely Nights live for the audience.

http://animediet.net/conventions/awa-2014-junichi-suwabe-fan-panel-digest

Cwarrior

So am catching up with Space dandy so far my opinon

Season 1 complete - what complete waste of time, S1 ranged from I wish I hadn't watched this unimagintive piece of shit to midly entertaining.

-phoned in scripts everywhere, most of the storys in S1 are devoid of any effort, creativty, complexity.Which is extremely dissapotining, dandy's premise of exploring the vast space in search of new alien life gives the writers the opportunity to write a story about almost anything.

+different animation directors with different styles every episode is the only reason as to why I bothered to watch this shit.

- No funny to be found

So am catching up with Space dandy so far my opinon

Season 1 complete - what complete waste of time, S1 ranged from I wish I hadn't watched this unimagintive peice of shit to midly entertaining.

-phoned scripts everywhere, most the storys in S1 are devoid of any effort, creativty, complexity.Which is extremely dissapotining, dandy premise of exploring the vast space in search of new alien life gives the writers the opportunity to write a story about almost anything.

+different animation directors with different styles every episode is the only reason as to why I bothered to watch this shit.

- No funny to be found
Joke post? C'mon you didn't even find the Zombie insurance episode to be creative?

DarkKyo

Fun fact: Junichi Suwabe (Japanese voice of Dandy) was a guest at Anime Weekend Atlanta last weekend. He showed up for his Q&A panel dressed in full Dandy cosplay and even sang Lonely Nights live for the audience.

http://animediet.net/conventions/awa-2014-junichi-suwabe-fan-panel-digest

That's pretty awesome! The Japanese version was cool too, I just felt like Ian Sinclair sold the rock star feeling much more effectively. That and I prefer the American VA for Dandy a tiny bit more than the Japanese one.

Joke post? C'mon you didn't even find the Zombie insurance episode to be creative?

Don't even entertain his opinion as he has abysmal taste, apparently. I don't think he understood the spirit of Space Dandy, or he just sounds like waaaayy too cynical a person to enjoy anything cool.

duckroll

Lol, I love Cwarrior posts. <3

The only disappointing omissions in OST2 so far appear to be the lack of the musical songs and the lute song in ep21. Otherwise it's a huge super-packed soundtrack, especially compared to the first one.

Loved that part :

mt8N8Ae.png
[/IMG]

Would love a gif

Cwarrior

Season 2

Space dandy- ep1

I was expecting a alternative dimensions version of the cast episode, I love these type of episode in cartoons(spiderman tos,tmnt 2003,batman brave & the bold,justice league).

shounen-mu-micheal jackson dandy cut by bahijd is the best thing I've seen from him so far.

The pulling strings part long overstayed it's welcome in the later half it got boring, but the creapy meow cat is best thing to come out of dandy love his freaky grin.

Space dandy ep2

The surfing scene in the later half of this episode is super awesome, this is what happens when great direaction,music and animation come together, this what the other surfing episode should of been like, truly a Dandy episode.

Skull kid reminds of majora mask and every Keiko writen episode feel a bit like cowboy bebop & thundercats 2012.

Space dandy ep3

visually interesting episode, really liked the hot blazing sun inferno scene, that fish voice reminds of kimmy from south park for some reason "Run away the sun is comeing"lol

He went he went out was cool.

Space dandy ep4

Meh Don't care for this episode, I appreciate they got the idea from something outside of anime but the singing wasn't catchy or really enjoyable to hear.

Montage was better part of the episode.

Space dandy ep5

The character design,art and animation in this episode is amazing, the sluge animation & the little girl reminds a lot of studio ghibli.

Space dandy ep6

Feels like a boring episode of cowboy bebop, I don't like how scarlet & honey where written in this episode at all,this episode completely runined what little character they had.

Honey as the fanservice young ditzz girl who's secertly smart aka perfect

Scarlet as the emotionally weak not 15 any more old christmas cake woman who can't find a man.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall so far season 2 has been a huge improvement over the lifeless season 1.

First half was okay but the part I enjoyed was the day in the life of being a zombie in the second half.

DarkKyo

Now that the show is over, what was everyone's favorite episode from each season? I think the ones I liked most were...

Season 1: Episode 10: There's Always Tomorrow, Baby
For season 1 Meow was my favorite character from the primary cast and so getting to see his home planet, family, and in a way his origin story was pretty amazing. His species was more or less exactly how you'd imagine them. They're not all super lazy and nonchalant like Meow is; they all clearly have their own cat-like quirks. Meow just seems to be the underachieving middle child who finds his home planet boring and impersonal. However the days spent there now seem even more droll and numb as the crew begins to notice they are reliving the same day(though nobody else does because their planet is so normally boring anyways that things seem normal). Meow gets to reconnect with his father and gain a whole new sense of respect for his father's work and life. For the kind of guy Meow is this was such a touching and humorous episode and it is definitely the episode where he is most fleshed out/developed as a character. Also the art in this episode was both adorable and super nice looking!

Runners-up: A Race in Space Is Dangerous, Baby | Plants Are Living Things, Too, Baby

Season 2: Episode 8: A World with No Sadness, Baby
In what I imagine is many fans' favorite episode from season 2 or maybe the entire series, this episode just shines on so many levels. To be honest it's tricky because season 2 was full of amazing and memorable episodes. I can only think of one episode that didn't really blow my mind production-wise and story-wise, and that's "Dandy's Day in Court, Baby"(even though it was still very enjoyable). "A World with No Sadness, Baby" explores a lot of existential concepts that past episodes never really touched upon. Questions like "if life ultimately leads to death, does anything we do truly matter?" or the idea that there can be times in our lives where we are unsure of our own reality or existence. Dandy is the antithesis of death. He represents living for the moment, chasing your dreams, and reveling in life's fruits. It is no surprise that when Dandy has died he does not realize it, does not understand it, and ultimately can not accept that his time has finally passed. This idea is pushed further by the fact that Dandy has lived multiple lives in different universes and has escaped death on so many occasions just by being the Pionium-enriched guy that he is. We finally see him die for real in this episode and as it turns out not even death can hold Dandy for very long as he is able to warp between dimensions into the safety of another universe once again. The planet Limbo was absolutely gorgeous thanks to the creative world building that went into its art direction. It's somber, sad, dreary, lonely, desolate, and transformative all while being beautiful and moving; a true world-scale metaphor for death. I particularly liked the colorful cast of denizens on Limbo in all of their odd forms. We can only imagine that some of the odd creatures on Limbo were once normal people who have long since transformed into freakish apparitions due to not being able to acknowledge their own deaths. The music in this one is also fantastic and the episode stands alone with a certain indescribable feeling thanks to it. I would argue that it is the most unique episode out of the whole series and that is saying a lot.

Runner-up: Rock 'n' Roll Dandy, Baby | An Other-Dimensional Tale, Baby | Slow and Steady Wins the Race, Baby
(gah.. too many good ones here, so hard to just pick a few)

Duckroll suggested in the regular anime thread that we do a top Dandy episodes list and explain why we like them. I'd love to also see a GAF Best Episode list if somebody is only interested in seeing the best of the best. Maybe top 10 or 12-13 so somebody can see a '1 cour' show of nothing but unmatched Dandy.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I really liked the references in the last episode. Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Gundam, Google, etc.

I have to say that overall, I didn't I like this show. It was much to unconventional for its own good. I am glad that it did move away from its fairly sexist overtones (that's what I just picked up on) in the first season, and that it tried to include the female cast a bit more here and there.

Its highs are nice, but they're so few that I can't force myself to care if there'll be a third season.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Didn't really care much for episode 25 at all but episode 26 was a pretty great way to finish off the series. That surfing scene was damn good.

Finalow

S2 is much better, I can only think of one bad episode and just a couple of episodes which were not outstanding. that being said, S1 is still good overall.
great show, based BONES etc. will rewatch the whole thing someday.

Does anybody know when the US Blu-Rays are supposed to hit? I only see the Japanese ones on Amazon.

Funi took a while to bring out Attack on Titan. To be fair that probably had to do with getting the dub out. I haven't heard anything but do we know of the timeframe of a show that was airing in Toonami that got a blu-ray later? If so we can use that to compare.

Seda

Funi took a while to bring out Attack on Titan. To be fair that probably had to do with getting the dub out. I haven't heard anything but do we know of the timeframe of a show that was airing in Toonami that got a blu-ray later? If so we can use that to compare.

The only Toonami shows that aired before a Blu Ray release were Sword Art Online (Aniplex) and Attack on Titan - which in both cases the disc release came out a handful of episodes into the airing. Somewhat similar with Gurren Lagann's current airing and upcoming Blu Ray re-release.

The only Toonami shows that aired before a Blu Ray release were Sword Art Online (Aniplex) and Attack on Titan - which in both cases the disc release came out a handful of episodes into the airing. Somewhat similar with Gurren Lagann's current airing and upcoming Blu Ray re-release.

True about AoT. I guess I was taking into account the sub only since the transition from sub air to dub air took a while.

I would think the Dandy US release would come either holiday 2014 or early 2015.

DarkKyo

ost... incredible.

nope...

it's ... wow.

yep...

jamming :O

Indeed it is amazing. So many good songs. I think my favorites are...
Old Edition, Word Pack, planet voyage, Dandy Beat(next time on space dandy...), OGRE YOU ASSHOLE's song used during Dandy's funeral procession(title is in Japanese so I'm not sure about the translated title... really all of OGRE's songs are fantastic), FOCUS FRIDAY(wonderfully weird)... though really all the songs are pretty perfect in their own way.

It's missing a couple tunes that would have been perfect though, like the show's rendition of Pavane for a Dead Princess. The lack of that track just hurts me...

blessedbrian

Neo Member
Oh my gog

http://clyp.it/ayoc2r5e

This song is literally all it takes to make me cry like a huge babby simply because this song reminds me of both glorious season finales
;n;

Running song appearances off the top of my head:

&#12304;Disc.1&#12305;
01.&#12473;&#12506;&#12540;&#12473;&#9734;&#12480;&#12531;&#12487;&#12451; / ZEN-LA-ROCK feat.&#23233;&#20837;&#12426;&#12521;&#12531;&#12489;
Pretty obvious one, I think used exclusively for Episode 22 ("We're All Fools, So Let's Dance, Baby") ED - though they basically treated it as the main theme throughout a lot of the PVs
02.Hard Cocktail / &#9734;Taku Takahashi
Feel-good bonding montage in Episode 23 ("Lovers Are Trendy, Baby").
03.Sci-Fi Palace / &#33733;&#37326;&#12424;&#12358;&#23376;
Episode 19 ("Gallant Space Gentleman, Baby") theme for the Cloudian fella - I don't recall them using it for anything else
04.planet Voyage / TUCKER
Absolutely forgot which one this was from
05.Dandy's Fly / Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro
Dandy's amazing "Dandy way to live" speech from Episode 1 ("Live with the Flow, Baby") and Scarlet opening up the can of whupass in the ramen diner in Episode 2 ( "The Search for the Phantom Space Ramen, Baby")
06.change the world / kensuke ushio(agraph)
River of Time sequence at the end of Episode 15 ("There's Music in Darkness, Baby")
07.&#20309;&#12384;&#12363;&#39740;&#27671;&#65288;&#31505;&#65289;&#36843;&#12387;&#12390;&#12427;&#12376;&#12419;&#12435;&#12424;&#65281; / &#38627;&#27874;&#24344;&#20043;
A bajillion different appearances, mostly involving Dr. Gel and Bea/Admiral Perry - Episode 3 ("Occasionally Even the Deceiver Is Deceived, Baby"), Episode 10 ("There's Always Tomorrow, Baby") intro, Episode 26
Episode 14 ("I Can't Be the Only One, Baby") multiverse Dandy exposition
War or gig? Gig, or war? Episode 20 ("Rock 'n' Roll Dandy, Baby")
08.&#37329;&#33394;&#12398;&#29609;&#20855; / OGRE YOU ASSHOLE
Live candies ew - Episode 21 ("A World with No Sadness, Baby")
09.Kogarashi / Latin Quarter
Planet Girlfriend gets wasted, Episode 16 (""Slow and Steady Wins the Race, Baby")
10.hawaiian ghost / TUCKER
Pretty obvious one - ukulele piece from Episode 15
11.roam in Osaka / &#26757;&#26519;&#22826;&#37070;
Adelie talks about her mother (;_;) - Episode 5 ("A Merry Companion Is a Wagon in Space, Baby")
12.lick tonight / LUVRAW&BTB
QT montages his way onto Dream Island - Episode 13 ("Even Vacuum Cleaners Fall in Love, Baby")
13.Dandy Beat / &#21521;&#20117;&#31168;&#24499;
post-ED episode previews - can't remember the episodes where they use it as incidental music but w/e
14.DANDY's Funky Night / &#33459;&#37326;&#34276;&#20024;
Skiing montage, Episode 23
15.SPACE EXPRESS / &#24029;&#36794;&#12498;&#12525;&#12471;
"Welcome to 2D!" - Episode 24 ("An Other-Dimensional Tale, Baby")
16.&#26397;&#12414;&#12391;KnightWriter / &#9734;Taku Takahashi
"Dancin'! We're dancin'! You're not the greatest 'cause I am the greatest! No we're both great, okay! Waaaaaaaooooooo! Oooooooooooh! Feeeevuhhh!" - Episode 22
17.Napoleon & Bishop / &#12511;&#12488;
Dandy and Meow goofing off in front of Mamitas in Episode 3
Has to be more in other episodes though.
18.&#12496;&#12502;&#12523;&#12539;&#12458;&#12502;&#12539;&#12496;&#12502;&#12523; / OGRE YOU ASSHOLE
Dandy rides the sentient moe scooter - Episode 21
19.Gentle Moon / &#27704;&#20117;&#32854;&#19968;
ScarletxDandy OTP ships set sail - Episode 23
20.Burning&#65286;Rising / &#33883;&#22478;&#12518;&#12461;
First ever athletics training montage in preparation for a prom date in anime history? - Episode 17 ("The Transfer Student is Dandy, Baby")
21.&#12399;&#12356;&#12394;&#12387; / KenKen
"Undokkosho! Dokkoisho! Undokkosho! Dokkoisho!" - Episode 18 ("The Big Fish is Huge, Baby")
22.Word Pack / Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro
Shortened US ED song, also the final chase sequence of Episode 5, short snippet of lava surfing in Episode 26 ("Never-ending Dandy, Baby")
Probably a few other appearances I forgot about

&#12304;Disc.2&#12305;
01.&#12363;&#12435;&#12385;&#12364;&#12356;&#12525;&#12531;&#12522;&#12540;&#12490;&#12452;&#12488; / DROPKIX
Pretty obvious - DROPKIX performance (special ED version) in Episode 20 ("Rock 'n' Roll Dandy, Baby").
Wonder if Funimation will include Ian Sinclair's rendition,
02.Seaside Driving / &#27704;&#20117;&#32854;&#19968;
Dat Scarlet in swimsuit doe - Episode 23
03.Boy on Space / TUCKER
This song is driving me nuts because it's so catchy but I can't remember which episode its from
04.classique d’amour&#12316;&#24859;&#12398;&#12463;&#12521;&#12473;&#12451;&#12540;&#12463; / &#33733;&#37326;&#12424;&#12358;&#23376;
"SHIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHH." - Space Dandy's interpretive dance, Episode 22
Oh! Also briefly plays in Episode 20 when Johnny eats "aspic consommé of Homard lobster from Bretagne" (which are apparently actual real words and objects)
05.bubbling sky / &#31545;&#27836;&#20301;&#21513;
Absolutely no recollection of having ever heard this one
06.Terra Beppin / &#9734;Taku Takahashi
Go-to incidental music used in a buttload of episodes - Episode 10 and Episode 13, Episode 23,
07.Space Rendezvous / &#33459;&#37326;&#34276;&#20024;
Can't remember which this was in
08.&#12480;&#12531;&#12487;&#12451;&#12395;&#21475;&#12389;&#12369; / &#26757;&#26519;&#22826;&#37070;&#65286;&#12495;&#12516;&#12471;&#12505;&#12488;&#12514;&#12494;&#12522;
CatherinexDandy - Episode 24
09.FOCUS FRIDAY / &#24029;&#36794;&#12498;&#12525;&#12471;
First thing that came to mind was Meow being a creeper in the very first Episode but theres probably a few other times this song pops up
10.Dandy Guy / &#21521;&#20117;&#31168;&#24499;
I only ever recall hearing the guitar riff of this piece so I can't figure out which this shows up in
11.Seaman's Departure / Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro
Can't remember this one either
12.&#24340;&#12358;&#20154; / OGRE YOU ASSHOLE
Funeral procession from Episode 21
13.&#29305;&#25915;&#37326;&#37070;&#9734;&#12510;&#12452;&#12450;&#12511;&#12469;&#12531;&#12480;&#12540; / &#9734;Taku Takahashi
ScarletxDandy OTP ships take flight - Episode 23
14.&#23431;&#23449;&#33337;&#12399;&#12510;&#12498;&#12510;&#12498;&#12398;&#22818;&#12434;&#12415;&#12427; / &#33733;&#37326;&#12424;&#12358;&#23376;
Most obvious appearance was in Episode 16 but I swear they used it for the endings for some other episodes
15.quiet city / TUCKER
... or I just mistook it for this piece which they used for Episode 2 and 19's outros
16.Old Edition / &#9734;Taku Takahashi
Dance-off in Episode 22
17.&#20309;&#12384;&#12363;&#24754;&#12375;&#12367;&#12390;&#12420;&#12426;&#12365;&#12428;&#12394;&#12356;&#12376;&#12419;&#12435;&#12424;&#65281; / &#38627;&#27874;&#24344;&#20043;
Episode 9 ("Plants Are Living Things, Too, Baby") ending with the strangest feels, brief snippet in Episode 26 with Dr. Gel
18.I'm losing you / BTB(Pan Pacific Playa)
ScarletxDandy OTP ships being crushed, burned and thrown to the wind - Episode 23
19.&#12501;&#12455;&#12522;&#12540;&#12288;/ OGRE YOU ASSHOLE
The curious case of the kawaii planet Limbo - Episode 21
20.White House / OGRE YOU ASSHOLE
Outro and Episode 21 ED (;_;)
21.I should be … / &#12511;&#12488;
LAIKA (;_;) - Episode 8
QT and the Power of Love! (;_;) - Episode 13
Dandy's assault on the Super Hulkider (;_;7) - Episode 26

There seems to be some super obvious tracks that aren't here in the album - off the top of my head the Episode 25 ED (&#12300;All "the thing"s i am… worried&#12301; by Mito, which they've used on multiple occasions) was a big one left out, as well as some smaller incidental music like the really Imahori-like track that plays when Dandy and Adelie are at the amusement park.

My only complaint with two discs is the difficulty of disc changing when I want to listen to a specific song while driving, and it's on the other disc.

My only complaint with two discs is the difficulty of disc changing when I want to listen to a specific song while driving, and it's on the other disc.

That's the reason I tend to buy digital now. Though I could always grab the discs I own and transform the songs into digital for my phone. But seems like an unnecessary middle man.

That's the reason I tend to buy digital now. Though I could always grab the discs I own and transform the songs into digital for my phone. But seems like an unnecessary middle man.
I want physical for things I really like, though. Digital is fine, but I really like Space Dandy and I want to enjoy the album art too, so even if digital was an option I'd still buy the disc.

I definitely see the benefit of digital in this case, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom