• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunning Thread - RESETRESETRESET

LordAlu

One person has now donated a total of $10,000 to Cosmo in today's stream. He literally can't believe it, even been crying at it. o_O

B-Dex

Yeah his stream is weird tonight. But if it is real that pretty awesome. Otherwise that guy is a huge scumbag.

Okamid3n

Was the guy I heard with cosmo really the $10k donator?

I only catched the last 15 minutes of the stream, but that dude was really weird. He didn't even seem to know basic Wind Waker skips and glitches. Sounds sketchy...but I hope I'm wrong. And if I'm wrong, I'm sorry for saying that and the dude's awesome.

Either way, that donation sparked a ton of others, so there's that.

TUSR

Banned
Was the guy I heard with cosmo really the $10k donator?

I only catched the last 15 minutes of the stream, but that dude was really weird. He didn't even seem to know basic Wind Waker skips and glitches. Sounds sketchy...but I hope I'm wrong.

Either way, that donation sparked a ton of others, so there's that.

Cosmo I think knew the money was fake, he was talking to the weird dude on Skype. And you could see he wanted to end the call quickly. The guy donating the money knew nothing about WW, Twitch or anything.

In other news, I can't wait to see how much money Notch donates to SGDQ.

Velcro Fly

Yeah Cosmo seems to think the donations aren't real. Seems pretty cool about it too. Honestly think he's so laid back and nice that it would take a lot to genuinely bother him.

Here's hoping he has a much better time at SGDQ than the disaster that was AGDQ

TCKaos

DMDY9NS.gif

This is why I love you, Twitch chat.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Instead of just being a spectator, I'm an actual speedrunner. So here's a sample of three of my times two of which I've improved substancially for the WR since then.

And we'll see if there's any any skill and competition among the "GAF Speedrun crowd".

SMB 1-15x 6.50 secs (might still be improvable).
SMB 1-20x 10.65 secs (I've already massively improved this into 8 sec territory, but feel free to try and beat this strat:)
SMB 2-1x 6.81 secs (I hold the WR now so this is very improvable).

So anyway, let's stop watching others and get some competition in here! :p

TUSR

Banned
Instead of just being a spectator, I'm an actual speedrunner. So here's a sample of three of my times two of which I've improved substancially for the WR since then.

And we'll see if there's any any skill and competition among the "GAF Speedrun crowd".

SMB 1-15x 6.50 secs (might still be improvable).
SMB 1-20x 10.65 secs (I've already massively improved this into 8 sec territory, but feel free to try and beat this strat:)
SMB 2-1x 6.81 secs (I hold the WR now so this is very improvable).

So anyway, let's stop watching others and get some competition in here! :p

None of your times lineup with the in game timer. And where are these massively improved videos of 8 second territory? Also, where are the community records for each level held?

ArynCrinn

Banned
None of your times lineup with the in game timer. And where are these massively improved videos of 8 second territory? Also, where are the community records for each level held?

Your obviously don't know Super Meat Boy, the in-game replay timer NEVER lines up with the actual score. It's usually .10 off from the real score. The map screen (which you can see in all the vids, proves that). Take a look see, it's been a bug since release on 360 as well..

I'm actually saving all my offline scores for my 250 level compilation vid, after that I'll upload I'll to YT and I'll update my times. MHGenesis already has a 1-20x score ~8 secs, but I've beaten that slightly.

There's a outdated record on the SDA forum. But really it comes down to having all the best players on your friends list and competing against them. That's really how you know who's got the WR for each level with whatever character.

TUSR

Banned
Your obviously don't know Super Meat Boy, the in-game replay timer NEVER lines up with the actual score. It's usually .10 off from the real score. The map screen (which you can see in all the vids, proves that). Take a look see, it's been a bug since release on 360 as well..

I'm actually saving all my offline scores for my 250 level compilation vid, after I upload I'll to YT and I'll update my times. MHGenesis already has a 1-20x score ~8 secs, but I've beaten that slightly.

There's a outdated record on the SDA forum. But really it comes down to having all the best players on your friends list and competing against them. That's really how you know who's got the WR for each level with whatever character.

Obviously since im asking these questions.

Do you guys have like a Google Docs or anything that keeps track?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Obviously since im asking these questions.

Do you guys have like a Google Docs or anything that keeps track?

Not that I know of, since records are being set and broken all time time. Right now there's only about 30-50 truly elite SMB players, and some up and comers. So usually they'll upload a vid or post the new LB score on Steam's wall. So we all know who has what record with what character.

Problem is, the game needs character-based leaderboards for each level. That would make it a lot more competitive than Naija dominating the topspot on nearly every level. And it would also encourage speedrunning with lesser used characters like Viridian or Jill.

On top of that Super Meat World died competitively when it was known you couldn't save progress and there were no leaderboards unlike 360. Such a shame.

Revven

Pie got a PB in Paper Mario last night and started his casual playthrough of SMRPG (he's going to learn the game). He also plans to learn Super Castlevania 4.

Velcro Fly

werster may have outdone himself with this Blue 151 run.

Siglemic probably just lost 1:43 on a terrible 3rd Bowser fight and falling off the course during the second Koopa the Quick race. He was incredible for 119 stars and two bosses. Time is 1:46 flat but it's probably the best I've seen him play a full 120 star run in a while.

Burnburn

Does anyone know a good speed run of Pikmin (1 or 2) to watch?

RTA or segmented?

If segmented; just youtube "Pikmin 6 day challenge" for Pikmin 1 and "Pikmin 2 7 day challenge" for Pikmin 2.

If RTA; Pikmin 1 doesn't have much runners, the only one that I know of right now is twitch.tv/theonly0 (No pun intended). But he's currently doing Pikmin 3 instead of 1.

No one runs Pikmin 2, because of RNG.

RTA or segmented?

If segmented; just youtube "Pikmin 6 day challenge" for Pikmin 1 and "Pikmin 2 7 day challenge" for Pikmin 2.

If RTA; Pikmin 1 doesn't have much runners, the only one that I know of right now is twitch.tv/theonly0 (No pun intended). But he's currently doing Pikmin 3 instead of 1.

No one runs Pikmin 2, because of RNG.

what parts of pikmin 2 are randomly generated?

Thanks btw. I'll follow his pikmin 3 runs after i beat the game.

Velcro Fly

So HYassin27 just got like 1:43:37 in 120 star but it's on VC. He did less risky strats than Sig but the load times and less lag on VC means 2-3 minutes saved. So a 1:45 could become a 1:43 compared to cart version.

I still think Sig is much better but I guess this is the WR now? I feel like VC ruins it when you are competing against someone using a cart.

Also sig has been trying for quite a while on and off for 1:43 and this guy pretty much gets it with some safe strats as opposed to some stuff I've seen sig do. It shows through on RR when this guy goes all they way around the red coin maze as opposed to triple jumping off Lakitu right at the start.

It's a great run so don't confuse me being salty, but I think saying something is a WR when you are using something that is proven 2-3 minutes faster for 120 star is really dumb. I'd feel the same way if Cosmo got the OoT any% record because he was using iQue and it saves 13 seconds over Japanese VC. I liked when speedrunning was more about speed and less about buying advantages to get fast times.

Final edit I swear: Ennopp is about to break the MM 100% WR. Like 4 minutes or so ahead on Majora.

TUSR

Banned
Yeah I seriously have looked at the SM64 stuff and the VC record isn't the same as the 64. I'd love to see Hy run on a JN64.

Impressive as it is, 2-3 minutes is absurd for speed running

LordAlu

So HYassin27 just got like 1:43:37 in 120 star but it's on VC. He did less risky strats than Sig but the load times and less lag on VC means 2-3 minutes saved. So a 1:45 could become a 1:43 compared to cart version.

I still think Sig is much better but I guess this is the WR now? I feel like VC ruins it when you are competing against someone using a cart.

Also sig has been trying for quite a while on and off for 1:43 and this guy pretty much gets it with some safe strats as opposed to some stuff I've seen sig do. It shows through on RR when this guy goes all they way around the red coin maze as opposed to triple jumping off Lakitu right at the start.

It's a great run so don't confuse me being salty, but I think saying something is a WR when you are using something that is proven 2-3 minutes faster for 120 star is really dumb. I'd feel the same way if Cosmo got the OoT any% record because he was using iQue and it saves 13 seconds over Japanese VC. I liked when speedrunning was more about speed and less about buying advantages to get fast times.

Final edit I swear: Ennopp is about to break the MM 100% WR. Like 4 minutes or so ahead on Majora.
I remember reading somewhere that VC SM64 and cart SM64 are considered separate run wise because the VC version is faster? So there's a VC record and a cart record, in which case this guy has the VC record.

TUSR

Banned
Top Bottom