• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 | Preview Thread

Topher

Gold Member
Famitsu didn't give it their Game of the Year; it went to Monster Hunter World and Smash Ultimate. A poll of Japanese developers, conducted by Famitsu, put Spider-Man at the top. Not the same thing.

I will concede that Spider-Man won Game of the Year awards from Wired, ShackNews, and The Verge (although I wouldn't consider any of them to be major gaming publications/sites, e.g., IGN, GameSpot, The Game Awards, etc).

So... with Marvel's Spider-Man having won three Game of the Year awards, out of dozens, do you feel Spider-Man 2, based on what we've seen so far, has a strong chance at winning enough awards to be considered the Game of the Year (a la Red Dead Redemption II/God of War 2018, Elden Ring, etc)?

Wrong. Spider-man won....

Famitsu “Super Popular Game Award 2018”​

D3LcVMY.png

How they derived the winner is irrelevant. Spider-man was their winner.

But now you want the awards to be major when previously you falsely claimed Spider-man had won none at all. And then when asked what you considered major you said...

AAUAxcs.png

Now you are moving the goalposts yet again?

Stop It Roe V Wade GIF by GIPHY News

Cashon

Banned
You went from none to most?

Which one is it?
When someone here says, "This will be Game of the Year," they are not generally saying, "This will be my Game of the Year," or "This will be the Game of the Year for at least one publication somewhere out there in the world." If that were the case, the phrase would be meaningless because almost every game even considered generally good would be Game of the Year, (because most of these games have at least a single person who calls it their favorite). Would you agree with this?

setoman

Y'all can't call these bullshots anymore. This is really how the game looks. Deal with it.

jTiBLKw.jpg
7nqLfvJ.jpg
vSCA2Nc.jpg

And this was how Miles Morale looked...oh wait
Let me show you how bullshots are made below and yeah those are classic bullshots.

spiderman-miles-morales-screenshot-01-disclaimer-en-01oct20

wfkyghdk8xs51.jpg

lipvvcdk8xs51.jpg

oczmulqq8xs51.jpg

tn2domdk8xs51.jpg

Here is a bullshot compared to the real gameplay all provided by insomniac:
look at all the added extra lighting, shadows, lens flare, glow, water fx, etc they photoshopped in.

F1yWnwG.jpg

PFn4T11.jpg

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Let me show you how bullshots are made below and yeah those are classic bullshots.

wfkyghdk8xs51.jpg

lipvvcdk8xs51.jpg

oczmulqq8xs51.jpg

tn2domdk8xs51.jpg

look at all the added extra lighting, shadows, lens flare, glow, water fx, etc they photoshopped in.

F1yWnwG.jpg

PFn4T11.jpg
There is video of that Venom shot you call bullshot. It was in the gameplay reveal a few months ago. It had all the rain and lighting. So maybe they altered the scene or possibly it's now dynamic.

midnightAI

There is video of that Venom shot you call bullshot. It was in the gameplay reveal a few months ago. It had all the rain and lighting. So maybe they altered the scene or possibly it's now dynamic.
I think it's just different frames of the same video (I'm on my phone so can't check 100%), looks like an explosion in the background of one but not there in the other because it's different frames?

Last edited:
When someone here says, "This will be Game of the Year," they are not generally saying, "This will be my Game of the Year," or "This will be the Game of the Year for at least one publication somewhere out there in the world." If that were the case, the phrase would be meaningless because almost every game even considered generally good would be Game of the Year, (because most of these games have at least a single person who calls it their favorite). Would you agree with this?

Then why even bring it up if you believe it's meaningless?

You need to stop flopping around.

Either it wins GOTY awards or it doesn't. That's what you were arguing initially.

Elysium44

Banned
Dropped 2018 spiderman after couple of hours. I doubt this much of an improvement over first

I've never even tried it, have zero interest in any sort of super hero stuff whether games or movies. I can see the games are very impressive technically and artistically so I do wonder if I might like it in spite of that. But I doubt it, they look dull to play. I'm ready to be sold on it though.

setoman

They are bullshots, its right there, clear as crystal.

None of the shots i posted above can be achieved in-game in Miles morale and neigther will they in SM2. None of them. That's because the character has hero lighting and the shots are taken with improved GI and shadow from the directional light (and even added vfx sometimes), with touch-ups from photoshop.

Then its sent out to the media to market the game.

midnightAI

None of the shots i posted above can be achieved in-game in Miles morale and neigther will they in SM2. None of them. That's because the character has hero lighting and the shots are taken with improved GI and shadow from the directional light (and even added vfx sometimes), with touch-ups from photoshop.

Err, photo mode

I mean, I can't see any extra puddles

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've never even tried it, have zero interest in any sort of super hero stuff whether games or movies. I can see the games are very impressive technically and artistically so I do wonder if I might like it in spite of that. But I doubt it, they look dull to play. I'm ready to be sold on it though.

The Spider-Man games are not perfect, but they certainly aren't "dull". They have some of the most fun traversal in any open world game, and really solid combat.

setoman

Err, photo mode
Even in photomode you can't reproduce any of these shots. But go ahead reproduce shot 1 & 2.
Go to the same location for Pic #2 and try to reproduce and make it look as good as that picture with all the extra lighting and GI. You literally can't. Its impossible because it doesn't exist in the game.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Even in photomode you can't reproduce any of these shots. But go ahead reproduce shot 1 & 2.
Go to the same location for Pic #2 and try to reproduce and make it look as good as that picture. You literally can't. Its impossible

Wouldn't that require someone to actually have the game?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Lying Love And Hip Hop GIF by VH1

Audiophile

One thing I always wanted in the og game was the ability to come to an immediate stop by shooting a webs out directly from the left and right; and then just hanging there, having the ability to fork from that and lower yourself down on another web, or even join the two webs and use it to walk/shimmy back and forth on. Might not be of much use but would be super-cool.

Another one would be coming up to a skybridge on a building and looping over it, then under it and so on until the web gets shorter pulling you in. Again, useless, but hella-cool.

Finally, narrow buildings with open windows on both sides that pass through apartments or hallways; that you can shoot yourself through really fast (with a variety of contextual animations ranging from barrelling through like you do on water tower legs; or just parkouring through).

So many potential areas of interactivity.

Last edited:

Kindela

Banned
Why do people get so passive aggressive and defensive when someone calls out those screenshots as bullshots?
Gun to my head, I'd say that game will not look as good as those screenshots. It will look as good as the gifs and the videos we've seen (which is still very good), but I don't think we'll be able to replicate the screenshots.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why do people get so passive aggressive and defensive when someone calls out those screenshots as bullshots?
Gun to my head, I'd say that game will not look as good as those screenshots. It will look as good as the gifs and the videos we've seen (which is still very good), but I don't think we'll be able to replicate the screenshots.
Those M Musilla gifs look better than those screenshots.

StereoVsn

Impossible to say if the game is "GOTY material" or not at this point. We haven't played the game yet. I think that's a fundamental requirement for any such statement like GOTY.
What is this crazy talk about playing games? I thought we judge the GoY by Hype and quality of Puddles?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I mean... it's the same as people who watched literally any gameplay of Starfield and thought it would be a gamechanger. It looked and sounded like Fallout in Space, yet people were trying to call it a Game of the Year. That was clearly a case of fanboys hoping that Xbox could pull out a massive win. This is the same as that, with Sony (especially because Sony hasn't had that strong of a year).

In other words, to look at footage of the gameplay, other Game of the Year contenders, and how Game of the Year awards are usually handled... the educatedguess is that it will not be a contender. I'd love to see a compelling argument for why it seems otherwise.

I'm just leaving this here for the sake of posterity:

Personally, I think Game of the Year should be based on, contrary to what critics like to say, the sum of its parts and how well those parts will hold up over time. In that respect, Starfield should come out on top due to having more to do and see, in addition to having an actual story.

Life comes at you fast.

ProtoByte

Right, but does the system allow for the same physics based web swinging we saw in the PS3 gen? Or are these just animations with very canned effects in gameplay?

I kinda hope this game gets a mid 80s on metacritic. It's not good enough to AssCreed the Spider-Man series.

ByWatterson

wfkyghdk8xs51.jpg

lipvvcdk8xs51.jpg

oczmulqq8xs51.jpg

tn2domdk8xs51.jpg

F1yWnwG.jpg

PFn4T11.jpg

The puddles don't even look right shit

Last edited:
Top Bottom