• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

All this talk about the high tech suit is a bit disappointing to me even though I knew about it from the trailers and stuff. I guess I'll just keep in mind that there's a five movie arc so there's more of a chance he'll get rid of it later on. Still excited to see it this weekend though!
Well, from a story perspective, you may end up liking the theme of the movie insofar as it relates to the suit.

Mikef2000

All this talk about the high tech suit is a bit disappointing to me even though I knew about it from the trailers and stuff. I guess I'll just keep in mind that there's a five movie arc so there's more of a chance he'll get rid of it later on. Still excited to see it this weekend though!

Don't worry about the high tech suit.

Just saw it last night. Here's my thoughts while avoiding any spoilers. I went in completely blind after seeing the initial trailer(avoided every clip after that). And it far surpassed my expectations. It really did feel like a John Hughes( with a tiny hint of Cameron Crowe) inspired movie. Holland is Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Loved the story, characters, great humor, even the cinematography was top notch.

I went with a group of friends even some that are not fans of comic book movies, they all walked out the theater loving it. I will definitely watch it again.

Going to watch this today.

The impressions and reviews got me HYPED as fuck for it.
Always good to temper or lower your expectations when you know you're getting really hyped. This advice has worked for me for every Nintendo E3 press conference since the 2004 reveal of Twilight Princess. :)

Pachimari

I think that the suit comes down to not just taste but the background you have with Spider-Man coming into the movie. I can totally see why some people will very much dislike it or parts of it, and why somebody can also come to love it and what it brings. I'm kind of in the middle, where some of it I had much fun with but while other parts of it wasn't the Spidey I had come to know over the past decades.

Just don't worry about it before you go watch the movie.

Loris146

Saw it.

I loved guys, fucking loved it.

It's not perfect. There were too many jokes ( some of them were really good though) and the CGI was a bit off in some scenes.

So nobody that is still on the fence about Tom Holland? He's a good actor, sure, but man it's like he's a child in that Spider Man outfit. I don't know. And overall it just felt a bit too high schooley for my liking.

I love the Marvel movies but at times I wish they would slightly look at their Netflix shows and bring some of that to the movies. But then it immediately wouldn't be "Family friendly" anymore of course.

For fucking Spider-Man? lmao. No.

So nobody that is still on the fence about Tom Holland? He's a good actor, sure, but man it's like he's a child in that Spider Man outfit. I don't know. And overall it just felt a bit too high schooley for my liking.

I love the Marvel movies but at times I wish they would slightly look at their Netflix shows and bring some of that to the movies. But then it immediately wouldn't be "Family friendly" anymore of course.

15 year olds are children, yes.

SpaceWolf

Banned
For fucking Spider-Man? lmao. No.

What are you talking about? Kingpin is totally family friendly.

laQmN9D.gif

Nyx

Loved it!

Did feel old though because of all the high school stuff and how much things have changed since I was in high school.

Oh well, old it is. :)

Wag

Is Homecoming real 3D or post-processed? My real IMAX theater is finally showing movies in both 2D and 3D. I think a lot of people must have complained about 3D only showings.

Wag

Post-converted.

In 3D. Will also be available in regular 2D. Originally 2D, converted during post-production. The pre-show included a special version of the IMAX countdown. [299][271]**+

Yeah, I found it. I wish this current 3D fad would just die already. At least it's dead at home.

No reason to pay to see a post-converted 3D movie. Waste of money. Most of the time it gives me a headache.

2D it is.

kunonabi

I personally can't stand his take but that's more on the script's approach to him than anything else. Garfield is still the closest to the Spidey I read as a kid.

I also have would have preferred the more mature angle since I prefer classic Spidey to any of the high school/ultimate junk. Some of the Lizard and Green Goblin stuff got pretty heavy back in the day but the current MCU just isn't going to go in that direction. That's part of the reason I'm disappointed with the Vulture as the bad guy in homecoming despite him being my favorite Spider-Man villain.

That's the entire point and the cornerstone of the juxtaposition between Spidey and the rest of Marvel/MCU. Peter is just a kid who grew up in the alternate reality of MCU, not one of the soldiers and gods on the frontlines. If anything, he's a better representation of street level MCU than the Netflix shows

One should remember that teenage Peter has been the mainstream popular Spider-Man for almost 20 years. Ultimate Spider-Man started in 2000, and since then we've had the Raimi movies and Miles Morales and Spectacular Spider-Man and ASM. Teenage Spider-Man is the Spidey for like two or more generations of fans

Peter as an older person/adult removes the most interesting stuff about the character and the contrast between him and the older experienced heroes

kunonabi

One should remember that teenage Peter has been the mainstream popular Spider-Man for almost 20 years. Ultimate Spider-Man started in 2000, and since then we've had the Raimi movies and Miles Morales and Spectacular Spider-Man and ASM. Teenage Spider-Man is the Spidey for like two or more generations of fan

Peter as an older person/adult removes the most interesting stuff about the character and the contrast between him and the older experienced heroes

The contrast I'll give you and it made the most sense to go with it for the MCU but all the young peter stuff, especially Ultimate, is garbage and always has been.

Spider-Man just isn't for me anymore and that's fine. I moved on awhile back anyway. I just wanted MJ and Peter to be done right once on film but fate just wasn't interested in that.

HiiiLife

Got my tickets for tonight. Wish I didn't piss as much as I do while drunk (Alamo drafthouse) because well, a lot of things are even better when drinking. Maybe I should wear diapers to the theatre from now on.

rec0ded1

Someone fucked up and used my email address to buy their tickets in another state for tonight. Should I be a dick and cancel them?

The contrast I'll give you and it made the most sense to go with it for the MCU but all the young peter stuff, especially Ultimate, is garbage and always has been.

Spider-Man just isn't for me anymore and that's fine. I moved on awhile back anyway. I just wanted MJ and Peter to be done right once on film but fate just wasn't interested in that.
Depends on your interpretation of "right". I've been waiting years for the movies to do Peter right once on film and it looks like they finally did it.

Burbeting

Banned
It was a pretty good movie. The plot worked the best when it was being down-to-earth, so the moments where it did become more... super-hero-movie-cliched, it worked lot less.

Almost all of the main characters were really good. Tom Holland was a pretty good compromise between Maguire and Garfield Spider-men, and the villain was very good as well. The supporting cast worked well, I just wish there was more screen-time for them. Marisa Tomei and Zendaya in particular got robbed from any meaningful part in the film, even though their actresses did a wonderful job.

And I still think Tony Stark was an unnecessary addition, just because his existense kept reminding just how bloated MCU has become.

kiguel182

Just saw it and loved it. It nails Spider and Peter and that’s what mattered most to me. There are some nitpicks regarding some adaptation of the side characters but they are good characters by themselves and well, different adaptations will do different things. The villain is great and the action scenes are fun while at the same time being a movie with heart that nails the core Spidey issues and character.

Edit Volture was a great villain even if he didn’t resemble comic Volture all that much. It had a good story and the arc was well realized. No youth sucking powers but that would never happen.

Gowans

Seen this tonight with the whole family, everyone enjoyed it!

A different type of Spider-Man film and a different Spider-Man.

Loved it! Still love Spidey! And Micheal Keaton... so good!

Anth0ny

Just watched it. My friends first comment coming out of the theatre:

"What the fuck iron man was barely in it. That's dumb"

I told you GAF. I fucking told you.

Oh yeah the movie was good, detailed impressions later.

louiedog

Is Homecoming real 3D or post-processed? My real IMAX theater is finally showing movies in both 2D and 3D. I think a lot of people must have complained about 3D only showings.

I just checked mine and it's still 3D only. I went from seeing every new movie I could in IMAX to no IMAX viewings in years. It sucks.

Top Bottom