• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

number11

This is an unpopular opinion, but I've always found Giacchino's film scores forgettable.

His Lost soundtrack is incredible, but I can never recall a single one of his film tunes. What's funny is I know there are a few Giacchino tracks where I can remember thinking were catchy -- like his Star Trek theme or Doctor Strange theme -- after the movie ended, but with some distance I can't for the life of me actually remember what they sound like.

His Up and Ratatouille scores are also incredible.. but yea, Lost remains his best work to date.

Kyne

oddly enough there are only two themes that I can recall from a super hero movie.

Avenger's theme and Wonder Woman.

Everything else is pretty forgettable. The original Spider-Man's theme is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't quite remember it.

samar11

Just got back, I thought it was really good, a thousand times better then the amazing ones. In saying that I still prefer Sam Raimi's Spider-man.

Shaanyboi

Banned
oddly enough there are only two themes that I can recall from a super hero movie.

Everything else is pretty forgettable. The original Spider-Man's theme is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't quite remember it.

In terms of the last few years, Avengers, Wonder Woman, Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, and Cap 1 are the superhero themes that run through my head without me ever needing to think about them.

I pray Reeves doesn't bring his pal Giachinno on for Batman. I liked a few of his film scores but in the last few years its been pretty dull imo, not just talking about memorable after viewing but even during the films I don't like his work much right now.

in this movie's case I just could not recall any of the music propelling the action and excitement aside from The Ramones.

Snaku

Banned
The musical score felt like it never had the courage to really commit to a theme. Like it was weird.

Really should have just stuck with the 67 Spidey theme they used for the Marvel Studios logo. The main theme felt like it was just about to fade into it but then pulled back and tried to be its own thing, which ended up being completely forgettable.

This is an unpopular opinion, but I've always found Giacchino's film scores forgettable.

His Lost soundtrack is incredible, but I can never recall a single one of his film tunes. What's funny is I know there are a few Giacchino tracks where I can remember thinking were catchy -- like his Star Trek theme or Doctor Strange theme -- after the movie ended, but with some distance I can't for the life of me actually remember what they sound like.

I think his Incredibles soundtrack is still pretty good.

Prologue

Amazing Spiderman 2 was pretty tight. Winter soldier had some nice ones too.

Snaku

Banned
not really important but when it comes to sales/credit etc does Sony make all the money off the box office sales and Marvel studio gets.....?

Far as I recall, Marvel has all merchandising rights. They'll make more money in the end. Probably why Sony came to them to take over Spidey, as they solely rely on box office. If they kept churning out stinkers the audience would stop coming.

phanphare

Banned
🤔
Now I'm considering taking my daughter again. I thought GotG 2 and Wondy were fine for her. It seems Spider-Man will be ok.

Thanks for the input!

the worst word they say is bastard, I think

there's an implied f-bomb as well but it's not fully said

DEI0SRTWsAEp9Yk.jpg

I can't

vaderise

I came to cinema with my brother (he's 12) and the person who was in charge of the screenigs told me he can't get in because of the PG-13 rating. I managed to talk my way out and convinced the guy to let my brother in. I mean it's a fucking Spider-Man movie. Where were all the age restrictions when my theatre was full of 10 year old kids at Deadpool?
Whatever, one hour left for me to see this. I'm hyped beyond anything.

phanphare

Banned
Nah, there's at least one bullshit said by Toomes.

maybe it's just me but shit isn't really that big of a deal, I feel like bastard is worse. shit has become relatively accepted colloquially and it's more common than bastard taking away any punch that that curse word has.

TTBurger88

Neo Member
I came to cinema with my brother (he's 12) and the person who was in charge of the screenigs told me he can't get in because of the PG-13 rating. I managed to talk my way out and convinced the guy to let my brother in. I mean it's a fucking Spider-Man movie. Where were all the age restrictions when my theatre was full of 10 year old kids at Deadpool?
Whatever, one hour left for me to see this. I'm hyped beyond anything.

Thats kinda crazy. PG-13 is the new PG.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Armond White being a piece of shit? I am shocked!

Also the movie is back up to 93% on RT

I thought it was just okay not great. Can't help but feel disappointed by the movie. How do people think is the best spiderman movie is beyond me.

phanphare

Banned
I thought it was just okay not great. Can't help but feel disappointed by the movie. How do people think is the best spiderman movie is beyond me.

best depiction of peter parker and spider man by an extremely wide margin. there were quite a few moments in the movie that just hit so well in terms of actually getting the character and who he's supposed to be.

great villain

did the high school stuff well

humor was on point

supporting cast was great

it was grounded but the stakes were high

etc.

though I'm not a big fan of the previous 5 movies so being the best spider man movie wasn't a high bar to get over for me

damn. as someone who regards these as the best marvel films so far too, this is only making me more excited. monday can't come soon enough.
It's up there in that category for me too. Although a big part of that is because I grew up reading Ultimate Spiderman and this movie finally got the character right.

Juno_

Neo Member
Saw this last night. Not really a fan of superhero movies but Spiderman has a special place in my heart, as I used to read the comic as a kid. With that said, I really enjoyed this movie. Fun and energetic as Spiderman should. A couple of points about the movie:

- Tom Holland is great as Spiderman. Other people are very well cast as well.
- Thought that Tony Stark would be overused in the movie but he is there for the right amount of time
- Surprisingly funny! and I really enjoyed the end credits.
-
Was blindsided by the MJ reveal. Haven't been following the marketing so it could be obvious from that. I guess they showed her quite a lot in the movie, but I thought she was just a funny side character. I like that they are going with a little different personality for her, and can´t wait to see her more in the sequel.

Looking forward to the sequel and I guess there is a Venom movie coming out too?!

Top Bottom