• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiegel: Trump Is A Menace To The World

so1337

d24e9df5bf2512525ef811e669b71486a966a858_hq.gif

Shit, I thought Spike Spiegel said this.

Alright, settle down nerds. "Spiegel" is the German word for mirror.

This is completely wrong. Why else would the constitution provide mechanisms to remove the president, if not to use them in cases like this?

Because said mechanisms are indeed needed in any democracy, but because of actions not just "He is not qualified, despite people wanting him". The Russiagate may qualify as an act that should question his continuity, but I think only time will tell.

There are multiple reasons why people chose him. Ignorance is one of them, but the thing is that impeaching Trump won't make them smarter. US need to realize how much the aristocracy and lazyness of the "illustrated" have fucked up entire generations, and I hope Trumps continues just to make people get up from their couches and do stuff to change and reshape the US.

You know, I agree with everything, but I don't think he should be kicked from the WH. Despite everything, he is the democraticly elected President, and it is against democracy to remove it, unless it is by popular vote. I think this for any country. The exception is when it start to law against democracy itself.

The US constitution has mechanisms in it to remove any federal official before their term expires. The Framers wrote copiously about how those mechanisms were designed for situations just like this.

To claim that those mechanisms are undemocratic is not a good argument. The people democratically elected their President, their Congressmen, and their Senators. If the democratically elected Congressmen impeach the President, and the Senate convicts him and removes him from office -- the democratically elected representatives of the people followed their constituents democratic will.

Other countries have mechanisms for votes of no confidence, or snap elections -- are those also somehow undemocratic?

Pretty brutal. But unfortunately, Pence is just as scary, if not more. The entire Trump administration needs to be brought down. Hell, the international community should just sanction the Republican Party at this point. Nothing but a bunch of evil pricks.

Hes not, remotely.

Just waiting for Trump to pull an Erdogan on this.

Couldn't realistically happen unless he got all of the GOP behind such a move. Not out of a moral standing, but Congress just openly giving their power away to Trump isn't something I can see happening.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Pretty much covers everything except the single biggest problem with Trump: How people are now constantly tweeting/posting in his unique style.

If you are just joking: It stopped being funny months ago
If you are seriously emulating him: You are an idiot and beyond help.

jelly

The weird thing about the US is how Trump could be/is 100% guilty of many things but that alone doesn't get him out. The Republicans have turned a blind eye and could continue for his whole term.

The US constitution has mechanisms in it to remove any federal official before their term expires. The Framers wrote copiously about how those mechanisms were designed for situations just like this.

To claim that those mechanisms are undemocratic is not a good argument. The people democratically elected their President, their Congressmen, and their Senators. If the democratically elected Congressmen impeach the President, and the Senate convicts him and removes him from office -- the democratically elected representatives of the people followed their constituents democratic will.

Other countries have mechanisms for votes of no confidence, or snap elections -- are those also somehow undemocratic?

As I said, of course the mechanisms are needed. But I think there is a huge disconnection between the traditional politics of the US, the more illustrated people, and the people that did elect Trump. One of ignorance, and social discrepancies that are a product of the same democratically elected Congressmen and Senate, among others, that would impeach Trump.

It's like they fed the people to get themselves into this position, but they are only now witnessing what they have done to the US.

Because said mechanisms are indeed needed in any democracy, but because of actions not just "He is not qualified, despite people wanting him". The Russiagate may qualify as an act that should question his continuity, but I think only time will tell.

"A well-constituted court for the trial of impeachments is an object not more to be desired than difficult to be obtained in a government wholly elective. The subjects of its jurisdiction are those offenses which proceed from the misconduct of public men, or, in other words, from the abuse or violation of some public trust."

I think it's reasonable to consider the president not being qualified or being bad at his job a violation of the public trust. You're not going to stick with a shoddy plumber who's routing sewage pipes into electrical conduit just because he's the guy you picked out of the phone book 'fairly'.

As I said, of course the mechanisms are needed. But I think there is a huge disconnection between the traditional politics of the US, the more illustrated people, and the people that did elect Trump. One of ignorance, and social discrepancies that are a product of the same democratically elected Congressmen and Senate, among others, that would impeach Trump.

It's like they fed the people to get themselves into this position, but they are only now witnessing what they have done to the US.

I don't think allowing a incompetent reality TV star to wreck the world's sole remaining superpower is a worthwhile trade-off for teaching people to make better choices at the ballot box.

There are probably better times and ways to get that message across that does not cost decades of American progress on the world stage.

commedieu

Banned
Hes not, remotely.

Couldn't realistically happen unless he got all of the GOP behind such a move. Not out of a moral standing, but Congress just openly giving their power away to Trump isn't something I can see happening.

Agreed. We know what pence wants to do, it's all illegal and would never pass. Trump is a moron who has no idea what he's doing and can cause a ton of damage because he simply doesn't care to know what the situation is.

Pence would read intelligence reports. I'm sure.

I don't think allowing a incompetent reality TV star to wreck the world's sole remaining superpower is a worthwhile trade-off for teaching people to make better choices at the ballot box.

There are probably better times and ways to get that message across that does not cost decades of American progress on the world stage.

Well that is the problem. Trump is one of the outcome and not truly the cause of what is happening. This is years of the US turning into a country that distrust, well, progress.

This is not just about teaching people to vote more carefully, but putting a mirror in front of everyone. Trump's America is the America many of us that don't live in the US have seen for a long long time.

For the record though, I don't think Trump should have been the President in the first place, but well, they did chose him, and there are many reasons. You know what they say about harvesting what you seed?

Well that is the problem. Trump is one of the outcome and not truly the cause of what is happening. This is years of the US turning into a country that distrust, well, progress.

This is not just about teaching people to vote more carefully, but putting a mirror in front of everyone. Trump's America is the America many of us that don't live in the US have seen for a long long time.

Again, it's a real dumb idea to waste time lecturing someone who slit their wrists in stead of stabilizing their wounds.

If the goal is to retain/recoup America's progress and stature -- why are you arguing we should let it slide further downhill before doing something about it?

Donald Trump is not fit to be president of the United States. He does not possess the requisite intellect and does not understand the significance of the office he holds nor the tasks associated with it. He doesn't read. He doesn't bother to peruse important files and intelligence reports and knows little about the issues that he has identified as his priorities. His decisions are capricious and they are delivered in the form of tyrannical decrees.

He is a man free of morals. As has been demonstrated hundreds of times, he is a liar, a racist and a cheat. I feel ashamed to use these words, as sharp and loud as they are. But if they apply to anyone, they apply to Trump. And one of the media's tasks is to continue telling things as they are: Trump has to be removed from the White House. Quickly. He is a danger to the world.

Trump is a miserable politician. He fired the FBI director simply because he could. James Comey had gotten under his skin with his investigation into Trump's confidants. Comey had also refused to swear loyalty and fealty to Trump and to abandon the investigation. He had to go.
giphy.gif

Again, it's a real dumb idea to waste time lecturing someone who slit their wrists in stead of stabilizing their wounds.

If the goal is to retain/recoup America's progress and stature -- why are you arguing we should let it slide further downhill before doing something about it?

I do agree with you, ideally it should be done, but right now I think that it won't change things. I think that It will increase the disconnection between a large portion of the country and the other, and I don't really think that the social politics of the US will improve to stop this from happening again.

FStubbs

I feel that this tactic has only worked so far because there has not really been a direct effect on Trump's voters/supporters yet. It's rather easy to get away with this all when, day-to-day, people can lead their lives the same as they did on January 19th.

When the economy slumps, or when dropped-coverage notices go out (if AHCA becomes law) it will be nearly impossible to not notice the real effects of Trump's presidency.

These people don't care as long as Trump and the GOP keep delivering the hatred they want out of their politicians. That's why in these special elections, the GOP keeps winning anyway.

It's not a Trump problem, it's a conservative problem and it has always been that way. Trump is just a symptom.

FStubbs

The weird thing about the US is how Trump could be/is 100% guilty of many things but that alone doesn't get him out. The Republicans have turned a blind eye and could continue for his whole term.

Well look at the Republican who body slammed a reporter in Montana and Paul Ryan suggested he simply give an apology. Really? That's what we call state sanctioned violence against dissent anywhere else.

The Republicans don't care about his treason as long as they get tax cuts for the rich, dismantling of all government regulations, and oppression of minorities.

Altazor

1) No shit, Sherlock.
2) His base don't and won't care. If anyting, they'll like him even more because "who cares what some fucking krauts think? AMERICA FIRST! #MAGA" and "HE JUST TELLS LIKE IT LIKE IT IS, HE AIN'T SOME TWO FACED POLITICIAN, HE'S HONEST AND DIRECT!"

Nydius

This part hits me the hardest:

In some sense, I can make peace with the terrible domestic policy -- we can fight back against it. But it's the awful foreign policy that stings the most. The near complete abdication of America's role in the world, the willful surrender of our international stature -- is disgusting.

Unfortunately that's what a lot of his base voters want. They actually believe there's such a thing as isolationism and being completely "America First" and they're actively pushing an agenda that destroys America's standing within the world. They do this with a multitude of rhetoric about jobs and conspiracy theories about new world order and other such nonsense while being completely and utterly oblivious to the fact that the two periods of US isolationism in the 20th century (pre WW1 and post WW1, pre WW2) were unsustainable even before the rise of economic globalism.

Those idiots think we can just flip a switch and instantly be fully self-sustainable again, a la 1940-1960, as they ignore the five decade long dismantling of our manufacturing infrastructure. They're also the same idiots who flood Wal-Marts expecting cheap prices on goods and expect to have seasonal produce all year round but can't connect the dots between Wal-Mart's pricing and supply chain and imports/exports.

Hey Mr. Shpeegul, ever heard of Mike Pence?

If Trump is the frying pan, Pence is the fire.
Standard Republican fuckery would be a massive upgrade for people worried about NATO crumbling or people worried about isolationists wrecking the world economy because globalism hurts their feelings.

Hey Mr. Shpeegul, ever heard of Mike Pence?

If Trump is the frying pan, Pence is the fire.

I know this is a recent talking point, but how did this come about? In what ways has Mike Pence shown himself to be less competent of a politician than Donald Trump? Yes he's vehemently anti-abortion and probably pro-conversion therapy, but then there's...everything else.

Trump has not been a friend to feminism or the LGBT community.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
We Germans don't fuck around when you insult us like this.

I hope when Trump comes here in July we play some Schlager in the background, the ultimate torture
I just wish all the other country leaders would stop treating him with kidgloves as soon as he visits. Tell him to his face how much you despise him and if you have to refuse to cooperate with the US until he's gone. It'll totally piss him off, the Twitter meltdown would be amazing. Eventually he'd crack. Trump wants stuff made in the US again, well wait until the US has to rely on stuff made here because we can no longer get our imports.

Except cars. Keep sending cars in. It'll piss him off even more after what he said yesterday.

I just wish all the other country leaders would stop treating him with kidgloves as soon as he visits. Tell him to his face how much you despise him and if you have to refuse to cooperate with the US until he's gone. It'll totally piss him off, the Twitter meltdown would be amazing. Eventually he'd crack. Trump wants stuff made in the US again, well wait until the US has to rely on stuff made here because we can no longer get our imports.

Except cars. Keep sending cars in. It'll piss him off even more after what he said yesterday.

World leaders do actually want things from us, because we are still an overwhelmingly influential economic and military power. No "good" politician is going to tell the brand new president to kick rocks the first time they meet.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
No lies detected

Top Bottom