• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiegel: Trump Is A Menace To The World

That's some real damn ether from a mainstream outlet, wow.

Kind of interesting how the world in general can see through everyone else's politicians but their own. It only took Trump one trip to Europe to reveal himself as an unelectable buffoon. It will take us at least 6 more months before we turn the corner.

Well to be fair, a sizeable portion of America does realize he's an unelectable buffoon, and the group who are still in his corner I don't really think there's any convincing them at this point.

He'd have to personally make a statement about how he hates Trump supporters and wants to pass legislation to kill them.

If required, 3.6 more years of the right people putting in the time and money to insure it stays at 4 years for the next election. Can't give up now, or ever.

Well, a not small group of his vote base will die within the next three years as result of his health care plans.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Straight bodied that motherfucker.

Keep them coming. The world agrees.

To think people FELL for this guy's line. As stupid as he is, his supporters are even stupider.

America needs to feel the pain for selecting this dumbass president. 4 years of being the laughing stock in world politics is the right punishment. Better put some rules in place this never happens again.

That's some real damn ether from a mainstream outlet, wow.

Kind of interesting how the world in general can see through everyone else's politicians but their own. It only took Trump one trip to Europe to reveal himself as an unelectable buffoon. It will take us at least 6 more months before we turn the corner.

So much truth here.

Here in Chile our leading candidate has been in numerous political and financial scandals, with him being investigated over said things like fiscal fraud.

And the guy keeps gaining popularity in polls every time.

1000x-1.jpg

Hey Trump, whatcha thinking about?
homer-simpson-o.gif

jelly

Trump just walks around thinking he is the big man at a big event, look at me, he cares about nothing else. I'm sure he was wondering what was for lunch at the round table rather than political discussion with the others.

marzlapin

Well that is the problem. Trump is one of the outcome and not truly the cause of what is happening. This is years of the US turning into a country that distrust, well, progress.

This is not just about teaching people to vote more carefully, but putting a mirror in front of everyone. Trump's America is the America many of us that don't live in the US have seen for a long long time.

For the record though, I don't think Trump should have been the President in the first place, but well, they did chose him, and there are many reasons. You know what they say about harvesting what you seed?

"America" isn't distrusting of progress, the issue is America is basically Jekyll and Hyde. Hyde is regressive, and unfortunately he tends to lead America every 8 years or so. We never recovered from the American Civil War, really. You could make a strong claim that we're in a kind of cold civil war right now. Shit's complicated, but before you go writing off the entire country, remember that Trump won because he won the most geographical area, not the most voters, and that's partially because of underhanded tactics like voter suppression and gerrymandering. There's a very ugly side to America embodied by what you call "Trump's America", yes, but the rest of us are still here too.

Oni Jazar

Hey Mr. Shpeegul, ever heard of Mike Pence?

If Trump is the frying pan, Pence is the fire.

I don't worry that Pence would start a global nuclear war because of a temper tantrum.

I don't worry that Pence would completely alienate us from global intelligence because of mindlessly sharing top secret information to unclassified individuals.

I don't worry that Pence would be kowtow to Russian influence because of a pee pee tape.

Pence is a deplorable, despicable heartless republican, but he's not completely batshit insane or childish.

Nordicus

I just wish all the other country leaders would stop treating him with kidgloves as soon as he visits. Tell him to his face how much you despise him and if you have to refuse to cooperate with the US until he's gone. It'll totally piss him off, the Twitter meltdown would be amazing. Eventually he'd crack. Trump wants stuff made in the US again, well wait until the US has to rely on stuff made here because we can no longer get our imports.
Sorry, Plan A of "Milk Trump's ignorance and gullibility for your own country's profit" has not run its course yet.

One would think that someone would tell him that USA running a trading deficit is crucial as owner of the most important reserve currency. It basically gives them $100 billion worth of free money every year.

Josh7289

The first is Trump's resignation, which won't happen. The second is that Republicans in the House and Senate support impeachment, which would be justified by the president's proven obstruction of justice, but won't happen because of the Republicans' thirst for power, which they won't willingly give up. The third possible solution is the invocation of the 25th Amendment, which would require the cabinet to declare Trump unfit to discharge the powers of the presidency. That isn't particularly likely either. Fourth: The Democrats get ready to fight and win back majorities in the House and Senate in midterm elections, which are 18 months away, before they then pursue option two, impeachment. Fifth: the international community wakes up and finds a way to circumvent the White House and free itself of its dependence on the U.S. Unlike the preceding four options, the fifth doesn't directly solve the Trump problem, but it is nevertheless necessary - and possible.

This, to me, is the most interesting part of the piece. We know Trump is unfit to be president and a threat to the world, but what are we going to do about it? Options 1-3 here are, as the writer states, unlikely.

Regarding option 4, if the Democrats win back the House next year, then they can start impeachment proceedings, but a vote to actually remove Trump from office will require 2/3 of the Senate. It's unlikely right now that Democrats can even get a simple majority of the Senate next year, let alone convince enough Republicans to actually vote to remove Trump. I suppose it's possible, but option 5 is the most interesting possibility of all to me, on a geopolitical scale.

I have been wondering exactly what the world's relationship with the US will look like after Trump gets through with us. What is the reason that places like the EU should stick with the US anymore? What really are they getting out of that relationship that they can't provide for themselves with enough determination? Is a close relationship with the US more of a liability than an asset nowadays?

If the world does kick the US off its leadership position sooner rather than later, I wonder what that might mean for US domestic policy. My greatest hope is that it would allow us to focus more on solving the many, many internal problems that exist rather than be constantly focused on clinging to a global empire that neither the US nor the world necessarily even benefit from. We'll have to see, I suppose.

Top Bottom