• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike Chunsoft Announces the Return With Fire Pro Wrestling World

Foffy

Banned
Ahh ok, sounds like the community is strong with the series though so should see a lot of CAW-like formulas

Hoping for a Switch release now

It speaks more to the depth of Fire Pro's options.

Consider for a moment that FPR came out in 2005, and the community can make a wrestler like Dragon Lee, who debuted only three years ago.

We may not even need formulas if you're on the right platform. It seems the diehards are going to Steam, and we know for a fact the game allows people to download logos, wrestlers, refs, and belts. I believe there may even be an arena editor..

I'm not a wrestling fan by any means, but I played the hell out of Returns on the PS2 and then downloaded it on PS3 when it was rereleased there.

Really happy this is coming to PC as I've since migrated to the PC for gaming. Going to put in a lot of time on this one too I think.

Jamie OD

It speaks more to the depth of Fire Pro's options.

Consider for a moment that FPR came out in 2005, and the community can make a wrestler like Dragon Lee, who debuted only three years ago.

We may not even need formulas if you're on the right platform. It seems the diehards are going to Steam, and we know for a fact the game allows people to download logos, wrestlers, refs, and belts. I believe there may even be an arena editor..

I don't know how quick everything will be established from launch but I'd say a month or two in there will definitely be packs ready by the community for the big promotions.

Recall

I just hope the AI and logic works better in Worlds than if did in Returns.

You could have long competitive simulated matches in Fire Pro D but the default logic in Fire Pro R makes the matches super short. Yeah you could tinker with it when using matches with just edits but the base game logic was/is a mess.

Having not played the Super Famicom or PS1 releases but throughly loving Fire Pro A, D and R I have super high expectations for World.

You could have long competitive simulated matches in Fire Pro D but the default logic in Fire Pro R makes the matches super short. Yeah you could tinker with it when using matches with just edits but the base game logic was/is a mess.

Having not played the Super Famicom or PS1 releases but throughly loving Fire Pro A, D and R I have super high expectations for World.

I played X Premium a ton in college. Really fun game well ahead of its time.

LionPride

Banned

Who uses base rosters for FPWR

Foffy

Banned
I don't know how quick everything will be established from launch but I'd say a month or two in there will definitely be packs ready by the community for the big promotions.

I hope so. I was going to start simming current cards, but I think I'll wait to do so with World. Having a current roster is a big deal in that sense for me ;)

While I'm not the biggest FirePro fan (though still played the series since SFPXP and bought the GBA game and Returns) I'm still in day one for Early Access because fuck 2K.

Hopefully there's Steam Workshop access with a very mod friendly game and files/saves are done in a way to make it easy to import/export everything we can create.

Ryce

I know customization is the bread and butter of Fire Pro, but the 30 character base roster is still really disappointing to me.

I know customization is the bread and butter of Fire Pro, but the 30 character base roster is still really disappointing to me.

I'd rather they spend time elsewhere also apparently laws might've changed over there so them putting blatant knock offs might be an issue. Does it really matter though? There will be hundreds if not thousands of wrestlers made in a matter of weeks, maybe days after its release depending on if FPR can be converted and transferred. Hoping there's either no limit on the number of creations or that limit is extremely high.

MYeager

The Early Access appears to be for the community to build it up before release. Knowing the FPW community roster isn't going to be much of a problem, and since they're encouraging the community to build it up I imagine there will be easy tools to share. Roster isn't going to be a problem.

Foffy

Banned

After a while, a good deal of people in the FPR community just hid the default roster in the "Retired" section.

We can only hope the removal of a large default roster means we will see, at minimum, a focus on greater Edit slots.

Edits now get 4 attires, too. I hope that doesn't play a role in making a "limit" though...

Ryce

I was an active poster on Fire Pro Club back in the day, and I'm a big fan of making my own edits, but I still like having a few hundred premade wrestlers to play around with. Part of the charm for me is seeing new wrestlers make their "official" Fire Pro debut with ridiculous names.

Also, just out of curiosity, where did you guys hear about Japan changing its copyright laws?

Hasney

The Early Access appears to be for the community to build it up before release. Knowing the FPW community roster isn't going to be much of a problem, and since they're encouraging the community to build it up I imagine there will be easy tools to share. Roster isn't going to be a problem.

We can dream that instead of Steam Workshop, it uses its own server and PX and PS4 creations can be shared with each other.

MYeager

We can dream that instead of Steam Workshop, it uses its own server and PX and PS4 creations can be shared with each other.

I truly hope so. If not it was way easier on the PS3 to transfer edit files than the PS2 options. While we should be able to do something slicker than a USB stick transfer I'll take that if nothing else.

That would cost money for Spike Chunsoft to maintain though, I imagine it'll end up being easy enough to convert/transfer.

Oh nice. A new Fire Pro is always a good thing. As long as it retains all the CAW parts from D or Returns then the community will take care of the roster issue fairly fast.

shaowebb

Cmooooooooooooon steam workshop. I wanna see how many times folks download something I make and I'd like to check its stats to see if it holds any titles in someone else's "e-fed". Hell I like the idea of Workshop because with the leagues and such you could make "e-territories" and be able to actually see how your dude was doing out there amidst the feds.

Dizzy

Banned
Amazing.

I really wanted this on PS2 but they pulled the UK version at the last minute and I couldn't be bothered chasing down the Italian version.

Was just considering doing it earlier tonight so this is great timing lol

Hasney

That would cost money for Spike Chunsoft to maintain though, I imagine it'll end up being easy enough to convert/transfer.

True. Other way I was thinking was that file transfer works on PS4 from a USB as PES does it. Maybe CAW files could be shared or something. Guess we'll find out soon with the early access.

Ryce

I'm hoping Spike regularly releases new moves as free DLC like they did with Fire Pro D. I believe they even let players vote on which moves they wanted to see added.

While I'm hyped they are doing a new one, I'm kind of disappointed after seeing the graphics. I thought they would've freshened up the look of the game. This still looks like the same game I played on Saturn back in the day.

tim1138

I'm hoping Spike regularly releases new moves as free DLC like they did with Fire Pro D. I believe they even let players vote on which moves they wanted to see added.

They did. I still remember tracking down the site that hosted them for US players since we didn't have access to them otherwise. Returns and the GBA games were good, but D remains the gold standard for me. I dumped so many hours into that game, after a well or so I didn't even need the translation FAQ I printed up, I had all the menu locations memorized.

Foffy

Banned
While I'm hyped they are doing a new one, I'm kind of disappointed after seeing the graphics. I thought they would've freshened up the look of the game. This still looks like the same game I played on Saturn back in the day.

Considering that wrestling, not just in the world but in Japan, has largely declined in popularity since the 1990s, I doubt they'd be given a crazy budget. It probably would have been expensive to redo the entire engine, underlying kinks and all, for 3D gameplay.

If they went 3D, we'd get something like King of Colosseum, but that is far more clunky than any Fire Pro.

Anything mentioned on PS4/Steam connectivity? Maybe not so much playing against each other but getting mods and wrestlers and such from the PC community on PS4?

Anything mentioned on PS4/Steam connectivity? Maybe not so much playing against each other but getting mods and wrestlers and such from the PC community on PS4?
No, I mean it was just announced yesterday lol

I really hope that's the case because then the Early Access period is literally just filling out rosters. I'd much rather play on PS4 but otherwise PC will probably be the best/easiest to fill out CAWs

Considering that wrestling, not just in the world but in Japan, has largely declined in popularity since the 1990s, I doubt they'd be given a crazy budget. It probably would have been expensive to redo the entire engine, underlying kinks and all, for 3D gameplay.

If they went 3D, we'd get something like King of Colosseum, but that is far more clunky than any Fire Pro.

True. I was just hoping for some higher quality sprites and animations. I actually prefer it stays 2D. With PC modding some people will probably do some cool stuff.

Foffy

Banned
According to a Famistu interview, we have the following situation

- Fire Pro Wrestling World will support Steam Workshop (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

- At launch there will be over 80 new moves at launch; more moves will be released post-launch as DLC, presumably like Fire Pro Wrestling D did. I assume this means free moves, again, like FPD.

- There can be online simming with AI-only matches. Each AI player can be spectated by an actual player, as well as there being a dedicated spectator system planned for the title.

- Once again they confirm the game will launch with around 30 wrestlers.

- At launch there will be over 80 new moves at launch; more moves will be released post-launch as DLC, presumably like Fire Pro Wrestling D did. I assume this means free moves, again, like FPD.

- There can be online simming with AI-only matches. Each AI player can be spectated by an actual player, as well as there being a dedicated spectator system planned for the title.

I came back to see if this was posted and yup... Hope that leads to the game potentially being almost fully moddable, especially with people being able to add new match types, I was thinking about players being able to add new moves and such but that could lead to some serious bullshit, even though I don't see myself playing online (watching matches and such, sure) I don't have faith in people to not cheat.

randymarshjizz.jpg

Nzyme32

Well well well. Almost certainly going to get a purchase with Workshop in there

Could Workshop support lead to custom face types? :O

Top Bottom