• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike Chunsoft Announces the Return With Fire Pro Wrestling World

One thing I do wonder is if steam workshop would allow logos and wrestlers who are property other organizations. I can see that becoming a big issue for them.

Foffy

Banned
One thing I do wonder is if steam workshop would allow logos and wrestlers who are property other organizations. I can see that becoming a big issue for them.

Wouldn't it go under fair use? I mean, WWE games get NJPW wrestlers on their CAW service.

Or look at ArmA or XCOM. They straight up have assets from other IPs in mods posted for those games.

Hasney

Wouldn't it go under fair use? I mean, WWE games get NJPW wrestlers on their CAW service.

Or look at ArmA or XCOM. They straight up have assets from other IPs in mods posted for those games.

It just depends if they're reported or not and I can see WWE being very active.

Foffy

Banned
It just depends if they're reported or not and I can see WWE being very active.

Maybe we'll get fake names or direct files people upload online.

If we won't have a WWE collection on the Workshop, I can see someone creating a compilation and just putting that on Mediafire. Problem solved.

If we won't have a WWE collection on the Workshop, I can see someone creating a compilation and just putting that on Mediafire. Problem solved.
Yeah hopefully there is an easy way aside from workshop to do these things.

Hasney

Oh yeah, totally. Steam workshop just usually downloads files anyway, so it should be fine to go external. I'm just saying that people can flag stuff on Steam workshop like all the Mega Drive ROMs that got uploaded.

Foffy

Banned
Oh yeah, totally. Steam workshop just usually downloads files anyway, so it should be fine to go external. I'm just saying that people can flag stuff on Steam workshop like all the Mega Drive ROMs that got uploaded.

But those are ROMs, no? That's like, actual copyrighted stuff as in official Sega games and hacks made to their ROMs. Nobody is going after XCOM 2 for actual Star Wars content modders have for the game.

I find it very hard to imagine Spike putting the hammer down. If this was the case, there shouldn't be ROH arenas, or IWGP championships in 2K17 made by the community. ;)

But if they do, I imagine people will work around this. WWE didn't go after Fire Pro Returns, which has a more current roster of their product by the community than their most recently released game does. I don't see why they'd ever go after such a niche game: we're talking about a game with visuals linked back to the fukken' Dreamcast.

C-Drive

Just going to link the ole' fpwarena here - we're all freaking out about this news of course.

We've got a Steam group going as well since we can finally tear ourselves away from our PS2s, PS3s, and emulators for once.

The NeoGAF community thread should be glorious with this release and especially workshop support. Anybody planning on doing it or taking on the OT duties?

Yeah, WWE or 2K (or THQ before them) going after Spike/Fire Pro on Workshop uploads could be disastrous for their own product seeing as they've largely ignored what people have uploaded barring vulgar language or Chris Benoit.

Just going to link the ole' fpwarena here - we're all freaking out about this news of course.

We've got a Steam group going as well since we can finally tear ourselves away from our PS2s, PS3s, and emulators for once.

The NeoGAF community thread should be glorious with this release and especially workshop support. Anybody planning on doing it or taking on the OT duties?

I think I use to be a member of that site/forum... Joined the Steam Group.

That suggestion/wish list on the FPWA forum covers a lot of things I'd like to see, would also be nice if we could fully utilize all four turnbuckles.

Hasney

There's currently a GAF sim league in 2K17 run by Sephzilla. As long as we aren't stepping on his toes I don't see why not.

Yeah, it's a different thing. The 2k17 one is just silly due to using 2k. With the AI building and sliders, a sim league could actually be competitive instead.

Hasney

There's tons of ripped models from both PC and console games on Workshop for stuff like Garry's Mod, Torchlight 2, etc

Valve will take no action if companies don't flag them. It's why Premier League mods for Football Manager don't last more than a couple of days, but it's like the wild west on some other games.

If WWE want to pay someone to sit there and flag things, they can.

Valve will take no action if companies don't flag them. It's why Premier League mods for Football Manager don't last more than a couple of days, but it's like the wild west on some other games.

If WWE want to pay someone to sit there and flag things, they can.

And UFC if they will feature MMA

Foffy

Banned
Here's a translation of the earlier interview from before. Thanks to DakotaK on the Fire Pro Arena for translating it.

Interviewer: I think it’s a courageous decision to maintain 2D graphics in this current time. When bringing back a series, one certainly tends to make it 3D.
Matsumoto: Well, Fire Pro that isn’t 2D is not Fire Pro. That "Fire Pro feeling" doesn’t come out. We did develop a 3D model at a development company in Shibuya, but as expected, it was useless. It had to be 2D. The fans probably also want 2D, so it was decided to go with 2D from the start.

Interviewer: By the way, is the title "WORLD" a tribute to NJPW World?
Matsumoto: No (laughs). It’s because we want people in the whole world to play. Of course Japan is also included. When playing online matches we want people from around the world to play, so it is “World”.

Matsumoto: Of course you can also play online matches. And not only by yourself (players), but also with AI. I want to take everyone's needs into account.

Matsumoto: There are no default wrestlers like "Hikawa" and "Saya". There are about 30 fictitious wrestlers that you can play with, but the base will be made by editing.

Interviewer: How about exporting and loading the edited wrestlers?
Matsumoto: The PC version is compatible with Steam Workshop and you can share your own wrestlers there.

Interviewer: How about sharing in the PS4 version?
Matsumoto: I'm thinking of what to do there. I was thinking about outputting data with character strings, but that was about 3 pages long. I am thinking about an exchange method that can be done a bit easier.

Right now it is possible to overlap up to nine layers (depending on the parts, 9 or less) on base parts.

Matsumoto: I think that there will be about 80 new moves in the early stages. I am considering adding more after the release as well. On the other hand, on terms of wrestling styles and the likes, I don’t think everything has to necessarily keep up with reality.
I am "Pro wrestling love" (Mutoh’s catchphrase), but before that I’m "Fire Pro Love". Anyway, I want to revive Fire Pro. So, if there are various requests afterwards, I think that it is my job to respond to them.

Interviewer: Will the release date in Japan and overseas be different?
Matsumoto: It will be a simultaneous release of the Japanese version and the English version.

Interviewer: What’s the timing of the release including the PS4 version?
Matsumoto: Early access will change along the way. I can’t say it now, but I think that the PS4 version will be released a bit later, after the PC version is really completed.

Interviewer: How about a spectator mode? As when person A and person B fight like in an eSports online tournament and person C watches on as a spectator.
Matsumoto: That sounds interesting.

Foffy

Banned
Has there been any word on match types?

Based on the trailer and Steam page, I assume the following.

- Singles
- Cage
- Deathmatch (both electric wire and landmine variant)
- MMA matches, which I believe are called S-1 in previous games. They allow K-1/PRIDE rulesets.
- Octagon fights (this is called Gruesome Fighting; UFC caused them to change this mode in later games)
- Tournaments
- Leagues (think G1 Climax)

I'm sure tag teams will be in. All of these are match types from previous games. No idea if they're adding anything, but we've heard nothing of being removed.

Steam early access first, then PS4 when it's finished

Steam is the way to go I think. Wonder how it will look at 4k on my monitor?

Based on the trailer and Steam page, I assume the following.

- Singles
- Cage
- Deathmatch (both electric wire and landmine variant)
- MMA matches, which I believe are called S-1 in previous games. They allow K-1/PRIDE rulesets.
- Octagon fights (this is called Gruesome Fighting; UFC caused them to change this mode in later games)
- Tournaments
- Leagues (think G1 Climax)

I'm sure tag teams will be in. All of these are match types from previous games. No idea if they're adding anything, but we've heard nothing of being removed.

Nice. Wonder if they can do something like money in the bank or elimination chamber style matches and just call them something else?

Foffy

Banned
Steam is the way to go I think. Wonder how it will look at 4k on my monitor?

Nice. Wonder if they can do something like money in the bank or elimination chamber style matches and just call them something else?

Having a ladder match of any type would be a surprise. The series is not known for handling weapons reasonably well. :p

Interviewer: How about sharing in the PS4 version?
Matsumoto: I'm thinking of what to do there. I was thinking about outputting data with character strings, but that was about 3 pages long. I am thinking about an exchange method that can be done a bit easier.

I can get the PC version and play it with my XBox 360 pad but I will keep an eye on PS4 version. That is the one I'm looking forward to

C-Drive

More info via various users at the fpwarena translating the new famitsu article:

• Regular pinfalls have a dedicated button now -- L2.
  • Wrestlers will inch their way towards the ropes for a rope break while in a submission. EDIT: Using R1 button to move towards the ropes
  • All of the special skills from Returns are back.
  • Matsumoto says that this is a complete rehaul of the game's code
  • they'll be adding a sliding ring-in animation when you run down the entrance ram
  • They remark on the ringside table, and that steel chairs can still be used (and they will eventually break, so keep an eye on its condition).
  • There's a Mission Mode that is apparently going to be a sort of mode that requires you to finish matches under certain conditions, and that of course there will be trophies related to it.
  • The last part... I think might be talking about a versus mode where players match up their own creations and see who has the best CPU Logic?
  • According to the bottom of the article, they say current developmental status is 50%.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've been diving back into FPWR on PS2 since this announcement. These games are so good, can't wait.

More info via various users at the fpwarena translating the new famitsu article:

• Wrestlers will inch their way towards the ropes for a rope break while in a submission. EDIT: Using R1 button to move towards the ropes
  • they'll be adding a sliding ring-in animation when you run down the entrance ram
  • They remark on the ringside table, and that steel chairs can still be used (and they will eventually break, so keep an eye on its condition).
  • There's a Mission Mode that is apparently going to be a sort of mode that requires you to finish matches under certain conditions, and that of course there will be trophies related to it.
  • The last part... I think might be talking about a versus mode where players match up their own creations and see who has the best CPU Logic?
  • According to the bottom of the article, they say current developmental status is 50%.

Sounds good so far. Hope I can keep picking my opponent up after criticaling them and destroying them for as long as I want before having the ref call it 😁

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Didn't L2 used to be the "breathe" button? Is that mechanic gone now or?

WeskerXXI

I kinda like having a dedicated button for pinning, having to use a move slot for a normal pin never sitted quite right with me. But I hope you can still customize which pinning animations to use, it's important for CAWs

Hasney

It confused me at first, but that's just running and sliding to the ring that was previously confirmed. I thought it meant interference run-ins!

I love me some Fire pro don't get me wrong but damn if they added tables and ladders with the proper physics to the mix..I wouldn't need to buy another wrestling game ever ahhh gain...regardless I'm still excited as fuck for this.

Top Bottom