• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2: online Salmon Run only playable during timed events

Effect

Fucking hell i wanted to play this mode daily:/ my dream addition was a coop mode and that seems to be limited.

I can play ranked mode and turf war whenever i like why can't i play this whenever i like?

I can guess there might be several reasons. Keep in mind too that these times very likely could change. Every other day might be temporary.

There is gear that you can only get from Salmon Run. We don't know the drop rates for this yet. So they might be trying to address that .

They likely don't want people overloading it since it's a new mode.

They said the mode would be getting new content and changing. Maybe they're still looking at feedback early on and want time to look at it and readjust things. With it being offline every other day gives them that time I think.

Or they simply want to force variety. They don't want you playing any one mode exclusively outside of Turf War. It's why SplatZones, Rainmaker, and Towers are in a rotation.

-shadow-

Well this sucks, but I'm already happy Nintendo went with switching the maps every two hours instead of four. Can't have them changing stuff too much, we don't want to scare them!

gtj1092

Anti consumer.

Dudebro

Emergent gameplay

Generic

Kiddie

UE4

So tired of all these words.

Timed events are ok. But timed modes is a little shifty.

Sorry a little narrative isn't going to have me cut them some slack. Anyone can slap something like that on why something isn't available.
I prefer SP and Coop modes. Salmon Run is a large reason why I am interested in the sequel more than the Original. Since regular Vs isn't to my liking. So it sucks that my preferred mode which I thought would be a mainstay has to be played around nintendos schedule now, despite there being no mention of that prior to this.

I'm definitely not saying that the narrative explanation is an "excuse" for them, just that I'm bummed no one really talked about it. Personal preferences are personal preferences and I understand that.

SummitAve

Banned
That's garbage, people like what they like.

The whole online game is timer based that restricts options and the ability to do exactly what you want when you want. That's sort of the whole point. If you want a game where you have access to everything at any time to be able to do whatever you want when you want, this isn't it.

Or they simply want to force variety. They don't want you playing any one mode exclusively outside of Turf War. It's why SplatZones, Rainmaker, and Towers are in a rotation.

Those modes all fit under the umbrella of "PvP", though. There's a single PvE mode and it's unavailable every other day.

Grisby

I'm pretty bummed that the cute narrative explanation here of the in-game fishing company not needing help 24/7 is being lost on people. I'm ok with not being able to play it 24/7 the more I think about it. There certainly isn't a lack of content to play in the meantime.
Lol.

"Gears of War horde mode is currently unavaible due to the locust taking a mid day coffee break. The COG doesn't need help all the time soldier!"

People keep saying Overwatch, but Overwatch got shit for it so they started implementing them as normal modes, somewhat. And it's still not enough.

I can guess there might be several reasons. Keep in mind too that these times very likely could change. Every other day might be temporary.

There is gear that you can only get from Salmon Run. We don't know the drop rates for this yet. So they might be trying to address that .

They likely don't want people overloading it since it's a new mode.

They said the mode would be getting new content and changing. Maybe they're still looking at feedback early on and want time to look at it and readjust things. With it being offline every other day gives them that time I think.

Why can't they just be like a normal developer and address the drop rates before release? Or have their servers ready so they aren't being overloaded? Or change it on the fly while keeping it going? Why does Nintendo get a pass for doing this but if any other developer did this shit, it would be mayhem? These aren't good enough excuses when other games have been doing similar things for years now.

Forcing variety is also dumb. It's a product that I as a consumer want to play. You don't get to choose what I dive into. How about inciting people with the game's design instead of relying on blockage?

SummitAve

Banned
Why can't they just be like a normal developer and address the drop rates before release? Or have their servers ready so they aren't being overloaded? Or change it on the fly while keeping it going? Why does Nintendo get a pass for doing this but if any other developer did this shit, it would be mayhem? These aren't good enough excuses when other games have been doing similar things for years now.

Forcing variety is also dumb. It's a product that I as a consumer want to play. You don't get to choose what I dive into. How about inciting people with the game's design instead of relying on blockage?

Play a different game then? You want Splatoon to be something it inherently is not, and doesn't have to be.

Lol.

"Gears of War horde mode is currently unavaible due to the locust taking a mid day coffee break. The COG doesn't need help all the time soldier!"

If Gears 4 Horde mode wasn't available 24/7 and had some kind of narrative explanation for it, I'd find that entertaining as well!

Zemm

A horde mode you can only play online at certain times is dumb as fuck. The whole timing stuff with this series is so fucking dumb I can't get over it, it made me stop playing the first game and it has stopped me picking up the sequel.

Here's a real question, how many of you are not going to buy the game at launch in order to make it clear to Nintendo you won't support this setup?
If you want the change, do as Shia does.
Just DO IT.

Grisby

If Gears 4 Horde mode wasn't available 24/7 and had some kind of narrative explanation for it, I'd find that entertaining as well!
I would be curious to see what the Coalition would write for the description, I'm with you on that, lol.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why is there a need to lock a mode away from paying users? Users who not only paid for the game, but will be paying for online.

Nobody else does this.

That's dumb as heck. Really sick of the arbitrary time gating of Splatoon content - it was absolutely obnoxious when I couldn't play all the maps all the time, and it will be absolutely obnoxious when I won't be able to play Salmon Run when I want.

So that we play a variety of maps?
By restricting most of the maps and forcing you to only play a certain number of maps during 2 hour spans instead of letting every map be avaiable at all times?

Within those 2 hours there's zero variety, you only play in those maps, while normal games can just pick from a pool at any time. If that's an issue, make a fucking separate playlist.

Who is giving Splatoon a pass? Do you wish every game you didn't like was developed and designed according to your standards?

I mean, yeah? I can just not like a thing that game is doing. What do you think people do when a game is missing a feature or doing something wrong? They have issues with it, like I do.

You are giving it a pass by saying "go play something else", like having an opinion that's negative about a mode is unwarranted because there's no middle ground. SFV didn't get that pass when it launched without an Arcade Mode, Overwatch had articles written about how they wanted to keep around the PvE stuff every time there's an event, and games in general modify themselves if there's a big enough outcry. That's kind of the beauty of having a good developer that listens.

I'm not saying Nintendo isn't, but there's a middle ground here where people can make enough noise and possibly have Nintendo change it rather than leaving the game completely or just giving it a pass. It's a product. You are a consumer.

Timeaisis

Wow, title made it sound horrible. Seems like it's ongoing, for the most part, with small daily gaps here and there?

Whew. For a second by the thread title thought you meant it was only playable like once a month or something. I'm not that annoyed here, as long as it's on the weekends and at night.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, here...

Renna Hazel

By restricting most of the maps and forcing you to only play a certain number of maps during 2 hour spans instead of letting every map be avaiable at all times

Yeah, it's a way to ensure the most popular maps aren't always being played. It also means all the maps get equal playtime, so long term players see a variety of maps.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
By restricting most of the maps and forcing you to only play a certain number of maps during 2 hour spans instead of letting every map be avaiable at all times?

Within those 2 hours there's zero variety, you only play in those maps, while normal games can just pick from a pool at any time. If that's an issue, make a fucking separate playlist.

They want to make sure you play on maps that users otherwise might avoid because they don't like them.

This was the mode I was most looking forward to playing with friends and a huge part of why I was getting the game. Going to have to rethink whether or not the game is worth it to me now.

And before anyone says "You can play it locally anytime!" - that's not practical for me or my friends. We don't hang out every day or even every week in person. Playing games over the Internet is what is convenient for us.

Yeah you can do online anytime too ya know

lol Nintendo thinks they can get away with this like blizzard can... I'll be waiting for a price drop on this or when they decide to make that mode permanent.

Pandy

Those modes all fit under the umbrella of "PvP", though. There's a single PvE mode and it's unavailable every other day.

To make sure that every other other day the matchmaking for PvP doesn't drop off a cliff if Salmon Run is super popular.

We have constant comments in threads for other online multiplayer games asking how the population is in suchandsuch a mode on suchandsuch a platform in suchandsuch a region. Different games address this in different ways, and lots of them fail to find the balance between player choice and matchmaking speed/quality. Nintendo is being upfront about their strategy and (hopefully) won't have to further curtailing modes/options after launch.

My biggest complaint in this area is that is sounds like the Splatfests will indeed be limited again and stop after 2 years. I wish they would put a dozen or so generic ones on a timer after the final big 'canon' one.

I paid for it, so it should be accessible at all times. This is just another form of anti-consumerism and It's a sad day when Nintendo is another cog in that machine.

Ridley327

Why is there a need to lock a mode away from paying users? Users who not only paid for the game, but will be paying for online.

Nobody else does this.

It's not even uncommon these days. People have already mentioned Overwatch doing the same thing but with substantially longer gaps between its horde modes, as well as Destiny's special modes like SRL, but then there's largely single player stuff like Hitman with targets that have never been made available again.

Renna Hazel

Assuming equal weighting toward all maps, why would only the most popular maps be played?

Because games often give users some voting rights between a number of maps. This leads to the more popular maps being played and the less popular ones being ignored. This is how other online Nintendo games are.

SummitAve

Banned
I mean, yeah? I can just not like a thing that game is doing. What do you think people do when a game is missing a feature or doing something wrong? They have issues with it, like I do.

You are giving it a pass by saying "go play something else", like having an opinion that's negative about a mode is unwarranted because there's no middle ground. SFV didn't get that pass when it launched without an Arcade Mode, Overwatch had articles written about how they wanted to keep around the PvE stuff every time there's an event, and games in general modify themselves if there's a big enough outcry. That's kind of the beauty of having a good developer that listens.

I'm not saying Nintendo isn't, but there's a middle ground here where people can make enough noise and possibly have Nintendo change it rather than leaving the game completely or just giving it a pass. It's a product. You are a consumer.

You are a consumer of a license to use a product under the producer's terms. If the developer want to keep a strict time based rotation of maps and game modes for the game that they made, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to. They have the ability to change it, but they shouldn't have to if they don't want to, and you an always just play something else.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so it looks like I actually wasn't insane when I thought this is what they suggested on Treehouse. This sucks from a consumer perspective as someone for whom this mode is their #1 interest, but it feels good to know I'm not crazy.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's not even uncommon these days. People have already mentioned Overwatch doing the same thing but with substantially longer gaps between its horde modes, as well as Destiny, but then there's largely single player stuff like Hitman with targets that have never been made available again.

There's a difference between an event and standard play modes. Unless I'm mistaken this Salmon Rush sounds more like a standard mode as opposed to a special event.

To make sure that every other other day the matchmaking for PvP doesn't drop off a cliff if Salmon Run is super popular.

We have constant comments in threads for other online multiplayer games asking how the population is in suchandsuch a mode on suchandsuch a platform in suchandsuch a region. Different games address this in different ways, and lots of them fail to find the balance between player choice and matchmaking speed/quality. Nintendo is being upfront about their strategy and (hopefully) won't have to further curtailing modes/options after launch.

My biggest complaint in this area is that is sounds like the Splatfests will indeed be limited again and stop after 2 years. I wish they would put a dozen or so generic ones on a timer after the final big 'canon' one.

Then allow Salmon Run to be played via private match only on off-days. Or can it be? Seems like an easy solution.

And I've honestly never heard of a PvP/PvE split in something like Gears or Destiny splintering the userbase to such a degree that measures like this would be necessary.

Because games often give users some voting rights between a number of maps. This leads to the more popular maps being played and the less popular ones being ignored. This is how other online Nintendo games are.

Titanfall 2 and Overwatch don't use map voting. There's no industry standard for the execution of this stuff.

You are a consumer of a license to use a product under the producer's terms. If the developer want to keep a strict time based rotation of maps and game modes for the game that they made, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to. They have the ability to change it, but they shouldn't have to if they don't want to, and you an always just play something else.

If they don't want to change it, that's fine. That's their right. But they are selling a product, so making it look and act as best as it can be is their agenda. It's a video game you are buying.

Developers change things with patches all the time. Hell, Nintendo did it with MK. THey don't just make a game and not give a shit about the consumer afterwards.

Whatever. I hope to see you employ such passiveness when another developer does something dumb.

It's easier to play salmon run then it is to play any random stage online. The former at least on the days its active it's active the whole day, the latter you might only see the map you once come up at a time of day that not conveinent for you, and even when that time does happen you have a 50% chance of actually playing on said map.

Renna Hazel

Then allow Salmon Run to be played via private match only on off-days. Or can it be? Seems like an easy solution.

And I've honestly never heard of a PvP/PvE split in something like Gears splinter the userbase to such a degree that measures like this would be necessary.

Titanfall 2 and Overwatch don't use map voting. There's no industry standard for the execution of this stuff.

I never said they did...and I never said there was an industry standard. Nor did I ever say this was the best way to handle it. The other person asked if Nintendo cared about variety, why we have map rotation. The answer is that it allows us to play a variety of maps over the long haul.

If Overwatch does it differently and it works as well, cool.

hawk2025

Play a different game then? You want Splatoon to be something it inherently is not, and doesn't have to be.

It's inherently not playable at all times every day?

What exactly in its gameplay design makes that "inherent"?

...no one is saying we should pass legislation forcing Nintendo to make Salmon Run playable 24/7. What are you even addressing?

Effect

And I've honestly never heard of a PvP/PvE split in something like Gears or Destiny splinter the userbase to such a degree that measures like this would be necessary.

Salmon Run seems playable anytime you want locally. It's only the online version that is limited to every other day. So if you have a group of people you can play as long as you want whenever you want.

Honestly though I'm not bothered by the every other day limit. I don't play Splatoon daily like I used to. I can see myself putting it in my game rotation on the days Salmon Run is up and on the off days play something else if I want.

Top Bottom