• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT2| Prepare to Dye

Upcoming modes are all (currently) Ranked but they will be available as custom rules in the August update.

Thats really upsetting. Im probably going to get bored of this game really fast then since turf war wont last me forever. I just want to play these modes without the stress ranked brings. For me video games aren't about getting worked up and competitive, its about being an escape and just relaxing and having fun. Can't really do that in ranked. And I don't really know many people that play the game so it'll be a chore for me to do any custom games (unless you can create a lobby and have other people join it like with lots of online games on PC)

Topic of the hour: Roller with an Ink Strike

How fucked is this?

Oy5hQG5.gif

This fucked.
I'm personally not that unnerved about the Pablo. Inkstrike and Sprinkler are great, but it looks like the Pablo doesn't cover that much area, so it doesn't charge up that quickly (certainly not as quickly as traditional rollers do). I do want to play around with it though, maybe it's not really meant for painting a lot of ground!

If we don't mind talking about Inkstrikes, my main concern with Aerospray RG is that it's a fast firing weapon, making it the fastest Inkstriker in the game. Basically in a decent game I can fire off 3 Inkstrikes, maybe even 4. Every other weapon set with Inkstrike appears to have some difficulty with covering terrain, either due to lower firing rate or smaller ink tank. It's probably due to me still learning, but I struggle quite a bit to launch 1 or 2 Inkstrikes per game with the Jet Squelcher and the Splattershot Pro.

NotLiquid

Thats really upsetting.m probably going to get bored of this game really fast then since turf war wont last me forever. I' I just want to play these modes without the stress ranked brings. For me video games aren't about getting worked up and competitive, its about being an escape and just relaxing and having fun. Can't really do that in ranked. And I don't really know many people that play the game so it'll be a chore for me to do any custom games (unless you can create a lobby and have other people join it like with lots of online games on PC)

Yeah it's a bit of a bummer.

Admittedly hours of ranked in MvC3 has effectively numbed me to caring much about the actual ranking. I've become desensitized to care much about the rank when I'm so used to losing all of it anyway lol

MouldyK

The Mall: Ranked.

I kill all 4 dudes and die while the rest of my near the hill.

20 seconds later: "Enemy has regained control point"

I proceed to walk to the bathroom.

It's a lost cause if they can't capture it when no-one is there.

Mononoke

Banned
blackbelly skatepark when it's covered in your ink = GoaT-tier

blackbelly skatepark when it's not covered in your ink = fuuuuuck this shit

LOL

It's really an awful map if you are losing in Ranked and your team is falling apart. Feels like all hope is lost, and there is just no point. Other maps, I feel, there is more of a sense of possibility of coming back. But once a team has Blackbelly Skatepark down on lock for more than 40 seconds, R.I.P.

Admittedly hours of ranked in MvC3 has effectively numbed me to caring much about the actual ranking. I've become desensitized to care much about the rank when I'm so used to losing all of it anyway lol

I just dont understand why this game chooses to give you so little options and instead relies on randomness and passage of time (stuff at the stores cycles out each day, gotta wait a day for the guy in the alley to get stuff, maps obviously change every 4 hours, possibly some content updates considering the recent map was already on disk but was added 3 days after release) I guess its a design decision since people who worked on animal crossing worked on this but in my opinion it doesn't really work very well and makes the game feel more limited than it really is.

RagnarokX

The Mall: Ranked.

I kill all 4 dudes and die while the rest of my near the hill.

20 seconds later: "Enemy has regained control point"

I proceed to walk to the bathroom.

It's a lost cause if they can't capture it when no-one is there.

This happens to me so often. I just want to throw the controller at the screen. Defend the zone, damnit.

Grakl

I just dont understand why this game chooses to give you so little options and instead relies on randomness and passage of time (stuff at the stores cycles out each day, gotta wait a day for the guy in the alley to get stuff, maps obviously change every 4 hours, possibly some content updates considering the recent map was already on disk but was added 3 days after release) I guess its a design decision since people who worked on animal crossing worked on this but in my opinion it doesn't really work very well and makes the game feel more limited than it really is.

Limiting choice in this game is to (practically) force people to come back every day and to make sure the user base is never segmented so the game doesn't die

Very intentional, they're afraid of the game dying

Limiting choice in this game is to (practically) force people to come back every day and to make sure the user base is never segmented so the game doesn't die

Yeah, but at least in my opinion, it consequentially makes the game worse.

Mononoke

Banned

I stopped caring about Rank when I was heavily into Halo. Remember getting all the way to level 45 rank, and never being able to get to 50. Would lose two matches, and then would lose a rank, and it would take time to get back that rank.

Then COD prestige stuff just became one big blur/slog.

I guess getting a high Rank is just a silly goal to have, I really just get lost in the gameplay.

Violet_0

Banned
:lol sorry, I'll back out.

ha nah I really don't mind other people joining me at all, it's just that people sometimes join me expecting some Gaf game going on while I try to stay out of them until I fixed my connection issues. Me teleporting can be annoying, or so I heard

Xeteh

I stopped caring about Rank during Halo 3. Remember getting all the way to level 45 rank, and never being able to get to 50. Would lose two matches, and then would lose a rank, and it would take time to get back that rank.

Then COD prestige stuff just became one big blur/slog.

I guess getting a high Rank is just a silly goal to have, I really just get lost in the gameplay.

I'm terrible about caring about rank. Its not even like I expect to be high but I just frustrated each time I lose the progress, it feels like wasted time. Its weird.

NotLiquid

Doesn't the Gold Dynamo Roller have Inkstrike?

It does, but considering how the Paintbrush's speed seems to be unparalleled it seems like you're going to be able to outmaneuver pretty much anything. Gold Dynamo's Inkstrike feels like it's there to offset the speed and ink consumption but on paper the Pablo sounds like a hit and run monster.

Neiteio

Yep. Pretty brilliant, and ultimately we all benefit by having a strong and consistent player base. If nothing else, there will always be people trying to min-max, grinding for money for a chance to randomly roll what they want, etc. Along with new players trying to obtain all the gear, returning each night to see the new stock and pick up orders from Spyke, it ensures someone is always around. So when you want to play some Splatoon, you'll find people online. :)

Mononoke

Banned
Yep. Pretty brilliant, and ultimately we all benefit by having a strong and consistent player base. If nothing else, there will always be people trying to min-max, grinding for money for a chance to randomly roll what they want, etc. Along with new players trying to obtain all the gear, returning each night to see the new stock and pick up orders from Spyke, it ensures someone is always around. So when you want to play some Splatoon, you'll find people online. :)

I like the limitations set on this game. Same with how they are rolling content out. It makes everything feel like an event.

Top Bottom