• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

MrGameBoy

Based on my experiences after playing the (few) Planes vs Cars matches, the latter definitely deserved the win. Never have I had so many bad/uncooperative allies on one team... Ended up just stopping at Champion status instead of King like in prior events. And why does Splatfest still take into account popularity again?

With Splatfests being more dull and unexciting the more I play them, plus with the much reduced turnout (based on my Inkopolis plaza/hub) and the surprisingly bad matchmaking (the majority of my battles were Plane vs Plane in-fighting) this time, I doubt I'll be coming back for any more of these events. Splatfests needs some overhaul if I ever hope to return to them. Does anyone else want a Splatoon 3.0 update sometime in the future?

nom

NSTC will be playing Omohide (We Have Come To Make Memories) in the Winners Semi-Finals of INKSTORM I in 40 minutes.

http://www.twitch.tv/endgametv1

Will be streamed with commentary! So should be exciting, btw they are the no. 1 seed and one of the best teams from Japan ._.

EDIT: Bracket here

All the JP fests were won by teams with more popularity, people can easily vote the major team after fest started to win 24 SSSs. Squid vs. Octopus is the closest result they've ever got. It's nice to see NA getting some wins for the minor teams.

I wish there was a way to get more detailed stats on the Splatfests. With the Transformers and recent Cars vs. Planes Splatfests having such different popularity and win percentage outcomes, I wondered if a very popular team would generally have a significantly lower win percentage. I don't think there's any way to do any meaningful analysis without knowing how many games were played in each Splatfest or the number of participants, though.

In any case, I think the current scoring system is fine. Popularity shouldn't really be the main factor in determining the victor.

During JP splatfest there's a running text bar in JP splatfest page that shows which team won a match and who's the MVP of that match. I'm sure it can't cover all the matches but it's a reference.

Holy cow, Team Cars winning gave me my first Splatfest victory~! When I saw the popularity split, I immediately thought that Cars lost the Splatfest. Guess an eight percent difference in win-rate was enough to seal the deal!

It's probably been mentioned a bunch, but I wonder if a Splatfest will be held on Halloween, where the theme is "Trick or Treat".

DaBoss

Awesome, will play with you guys today, hopefully!
We're doing a private just to mess around splash walls on Tower Control.

And now we're gonna do squads to practice for the tourney. Sorry you couldn't play with us. It's been so long.

Kito

I haven't forgotten about my hate for the GamePad. The Pro with motion controls would be my dream Splatoon controller and it's never going to happen ;-;

Geg

okmc9rm.jpg

What the FUCK, spyke. Not triple run speed up, but this.

Not sure whether to keep it or keep going for the run speed now

ffdgh

okmc9rm.jpg

What the FUCK, spyke. Not triple run speed up, but this.

Not sure whether to keep it or keep going for the run speed now

Haha that's hilarious. There's another pair of rockenberg shoes that have quick respawn. squink wingtips.

Geg

Haha that's hilarious. There's another pair of rockenberg shoes that have quick respawn. squink wingtips.

Oh really? Thanks, I'll check those out

Keep them for a Quick Respawn Set!
Yeah those are the boots I always wear because I like at least one quick respawn main. I just wanted the run speed up subs because I was tired of always being so slow on grates on stages like hammerhead

Bamboo Boy

Neo Member
I got a lot if DC'd right now... I have lost like 9 points on S rank ;-;

EDIT: It looks the servers are under maintenance, just in middle of grand finals lol

Geg

Nintendo's servers are apparently fucked right now, best to not try playing. They're even putting the tournament finals on hold

Nintendo's servers are apparently fucked right now, best to not try playing. They're even putting the tournament finals on hold

Just saw it on Inkstorm / EndGameTV1
They seem pretty broken up about it. They almost had 1900 viewers. sad for them.

Guess those octopusses were pretty salty about the splatfest loss and took down the server

MrGameBoy

I haven't forgotten about my hate for the GamePad. The Pro with motion controls would be my dream Splatoon controller and it's never going to happen ;-;
Tell me about it: while I don't exactly hate the Wii U GamePad, I myself would prefer Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk pointer controls, with the GamePad still used as the map. It'd be great if Nintendo would add more controller options (even including the Pro Controller tied to a Wii Remote Plus) for all modes in a 3.0 patch/update. Maybe we should try emailing Nintendo about it? (It doesn't hurt to try, I hope.)

Nico_D

In the tournament's commentary they talked about some ridicuously good Japanese charger player and how his play is always a sight to behold. Who is he and where can I see him play?

tkscz

OH! Oh wow. We won. Cars actually won with a fucking 36% voter base. I guess they all reached King or something, because, even though I voted for Cars, I don't see how they won.

Kito

Tell me about it: while I don't exactly hate the Wii U GamePad, I myself would prefer Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk pointer controls, with the GamePad still used as the map. It'd be great if Nintendo would add more controller options (even including the Pro Controller tied to a Wii Remote Plus) for all modes in a 3.0 patch/update. Maybe we should try emailing Nintendo about it? (It doesn't hurt to try, I hope.)

There must be a way to eliminate the GamePad altogether. I only use 1 upper shoulder button (R) for subweapons, so with Pro+Wiimote combo I'd suggest map activation with the L button in a translucent PiP form, and then Y, X, A for super jumping to a squad member or B for the spawn point.

Azure J

lol @ this.
https://twitter.com/sakur4n/status/653053997473927168

Also some insane play from the tournament.
https://twitter.com/fps_yugo1/status/653428910772781058

Saw some original designs of squid sisters in the artbook. I'll get my order later this month, can't wait.

I hope the art book gets a swift localization. I actually have/had the money for the pre-order but didn't commit thinking about the former.

Nekura is godly but Yugo and that wall usage is beyond unfair. It's unbelievable that he only uses sticks.

I don't find it too unbelievable. Playing SM239 as long as I have has made me respect that sticks have a good upper ceiling on them. That said, Yugo almost made me want to drop 96 Deco for vanilla 52.

Kito

Rainmaker: Walleye Warehouse - path #2 is the optimal one, right? Squads rarely choose it... Sometimes I quickly end matches by doing #2 on my own - everyone including my squad assumes I'll take #1 when I grab the rainmaker.

NotLiquid

Any new maps/modes coming soon, or is everything locked from the disc up now?

No more maps and modes are on the disc but we still have several major weapons like the Hydra Splatling coming up. With the Octoling rumors we might be seeing an update soon.

Rainmaker: Walleye Warehouse - path #2 is the optimal one, right? Squads rarely choose it... Sometimes I quickly end matches by doing #2 on my own - everyone including my squad assumes I'll take #1 when I grab the rainmaker.
Well now everyone knows about it, I never think of taking that path.

I did pretty darn good this Splatfest. Maybe it’s the intense training against the Japanese players, but I was pulling things for my team a lot. Consistently the highest painted, kill counts in the 15-ish range. Feels pretty good, ha ha. Counteracts all the times the Japanese kick my butt.

I was on team Cars and I was able to find games very quick. It made the whole experience so much more pleasant when I wasn’t sitting twiddling my thumbs between matches. I was pretty pleased that even though team Planes outnumbered us by a huge margin, our wins meant something.

I’m picking up on more things as I play more. Throughout the whole Splatfest I started paying attention to the weapons of the other team before the match, and then playing accordingly. I’m an exclusive Tentek SS user, so when I saw the other team was full of Aerosprays I knew I would have a range/accuracy advantage and took advantage of it. When I saw Dual Squelcher or SS Pro users I knew to blitz in during encounters. Two or so Rollers and I knew to keep my proceed slowly and keep my distance.

Geg

If you're trying for the knockout, I guess. If you're just trying to cheese the counter to get your team's number as low as possible quickly, rushing into the middle up to the base of the final ramp will bring it down to like 19

ChrisD

Walleye was a lot funner when people went for knockouts. I'm no stranger to playing defense for a win, but that's all I ever see there anymore; barring the all too common teams of four Splash Walls.

Top Bottom