• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

GWX

^They're actually changing Arowana Mall and Moray Towers so that their turf war form matches their splat zones layout. Meaning the mid won't be as much of a massive choke point easily controlled by a couple of competent chargers

Oh man, this is the best news ever! So excited for the update now.

Ccq2PLuVIAALXBO.jpg:orig

Ccq2dKPUAAYxqi3.jpg:orig

ss-hikaru

Not sure how legit this picture is (as plenty of fake images have already surfaced all over the Internet/Twitter), but apparently the English version will use "Team" Power Level, according to NintendoEverything and GoNintendo's Flickr.

24853115234_6726703a3a_b.jpg

The Over 9000 memes are now more relevant. ;)

The little sparkly squids on the bottom right are sooo cuuuuute. I love my splatfest buddies (when I can make some LOL) so this counter makes me happpyyy.

L95

Forgive me for being uninformed, but is there voting for the next splatfest going on somewhere? Just saw someone with the placeholder splatfest shirt online.

EulaCapra

Holy crap. A lot of these ability changes might as well be Splatoon 2.

Maybe it'll be fun to be a (non-Carbon) Roller again with these nifty upgrades.

I've come to the realization that my internet latency is juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a smidge too high to use the roller correctly. I've been bounced off of people raw rolling with the non-carbon rollers and flicks don't kill.

Now that that's off of my chest... Fresh Squiffer! OG/LDE buffs! INK REC BUFF! This update is gonna be so fun.

J@hranimo

Banned
So much info!

Splatoon is going full Brawl Minus on us and I love it.

and hopefully these Splatfest changes will create more meaningful end results other than least popular team = insta win.

Nico_D

What did I wake up to?

Cool buffs. May return to use Ink Recovery Up Again. Also that Splatfest update is brilliant, it can be done much quicker.

And Ranked taking weapons in consideration, great stuff.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I played the most infuriating Rainmaker match tonight. My wife and I are B, B- players and somehow ended up facing off against a team with an S+ and an A-. We held our own for a while, but they ended up getting to the point of winning. It was on Flounder Heights. Instead of swimming up the podium and finishing the match, the S+ player stood behind the fucking podium shooting at the spawn point for the entire 60 second countdown of the Rainmaker.

Like, whatever. You're better than me. Fine. But fuck you. Just let the match end.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Okay, ability changes

Ink Saver Main: Maximum ink saved amount changed from 40% to 45%
Ink Recovery Up: Maximum ink recovery speed increase changed from 67% to 82%

OMG, my build is going to be unstoppable now with my Tentatek, haha

RedFyn

I thought there wasn't a hard max for any of the abilities, just curves?

So those buffs are just for people who stack multiples?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong

You can only equip 3 pieces of gear so the hard max is the total possible with every ability (sub/main) filled. But yes you're right it's all curves, although some of the curves are essentially hard maxes as adding more after a certain point (for example damage up .52 or
any amount of
sub saver) doesnt do enough to make it worth it.

Regiruler

I jist had a weird dream where some of the new weapons had additional changes or some really stupid perks. One was throw three burst bombs in a row, the third becomes a splat bomb. Another was a bubble wand with beakons that, if you go to them, you get an echolocator for just you.

Someone bookmark this shit for splatoon 2 as this was way too specific. Also, secondary weapons.

This is what we thought as well, until I went back and re-read the Japanese changelog and saw the に in the description:

「相手にマーキングされている間、」
Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/agmj/update/index_260.html

At that point, we all got confused since I thought the に there was referring more to the location of where the marking occurred (at/on the opponent), rather than the other way around (from the opponent). Of course, I'm just a low elementary-level scrub, so I'm both likely and happy to be wrong; I'll actually learn from this too.
Here

I checked that and other sites and the Japanese do seem to be interpreting it as being marked by your opponent. So let's just go with that lol

ChrisD

I want to see if a Full Recon + Super Jump speed team composition would work with voice comm. Always have people marked. always

noshten

Just saw the patch notes a few hours ago, this is actually the biggest balance change since the start of the game. Bomb sniffer is something I'm contemplating running now, gotta check the rest of these buffs.
Also the changes to matchmaking are very welcomed, it does appear that they have listened to some of the feedback from the playerbase.
I still want more content - wonder when squid sister amiibos are announced.

I want to see if a Full Recon + Super Jump speed team composition would work with voice comm. Always have people marked. always

It takes the Recon buff for people to see that Quick Super Jump is useful/stupidly fun, and not seeing me super jump 3 times in quick succession on their kill cam before they respawn.

Life is weird.

Azure J

It takes the Recon buff for people to see that Quick Super Jump is useful/stupidly fun, and not seeing me super jump 3 times in quick succession on their kill cam before they respawn.

Life is weird.

QSJ is the "quirky" ability no one wanted to give up "meta" perks for until they get quick rolled and reconsider.

ChrisD

Life is weird.

Everybody would have at least tried it already if they had your God Gear. :p

ChrisD

It's only 3 mains worth :/

I thought you had like three mains worth of QR and QSJ?

Hopping all over is fun, but being able to do it with little repercussion sounds better. And since it all boils down to RNG even with brand bias..

That's also a big reason for little variance of the meta I'm sure. Random rolls. People would stick with the same stuff (ability wise) as now, but I'm sure you'd see a bit more in the experimental department.

But yeah, buffs to other things making people suddenly see "OMG THIS IS GOOD?" on stuff you've used forever is a funny place to be in. /Moba experience with the feeling

Moondrop

Banned
Once again I don't know what weapon to play, but this time not due to bad results. I'm terrified the haunt buff will wreck my point sensor spam strategy. 3-hit kills with the custom blaster are the worst.

So I guess I'll practice with everything until we know more about the new meta and weapons. I tried the splattershot jr last night. Making the right reads with splat bombs is indeed glorious, but good lord that deviation.

I thought you had like three mains worth of QR and QSJ?

Hopping all over is fun, but being able to do it with little repercussion sounds better. And since it all boils down to RNG even with brand bias..

That's also a big reason for little variance of the meta I'm sure. Random rolls. People would stick with the same stuff (ability wise) as now, but I'm sure you'd see a bit more in the experimental department.

But yeah, buffs to other things making people suddenly see "OMG THIS IS GOOD?" on stuff you've used forever is a funny place to be in. /Moba experience with the feeling

It's about 3 mains of both abilities, though Quick Respawn doesn't take that much of an affect if I use my Stealth Jump shoes (which have 2 subs of QSJ)

abd

Until now, Splatfest matchmaking favored grouping players with similar play styles. Players will now be more likely to play with those of similar Splatfest Power level.

Am I the only one that wonders how they decide our play styles?

ffdgh

Am I the only one that wonders how they decide our play styles?

Is someone using a charger? less add 2 or 3 others!
is someone using a roller? 4 rollers!
is someone using the octoshot/tentatek? inkzookas galore

....or something to that extent.

J@hranimo

Banned
Rapid blaster is pretty cool.
Neo Sploosh-o-matic is pretty cool.
Heavy splatling deco is pretty cool.

These are all great picks, especially the rapid blaster family. They're some of my favorite weapon types in the game and I hope a new variant comes out in the future Sheldon Picks series that has Beakons and Kraken. That'd be awesome :D

Moondrop

Banned
These are all great picks, especially the rapid blaster family. They're some of my favorite weapon types in the game and I hope a new variant comes out in the future Sheldon Picks series that has Beakons and Kraken. That'd be awesome :D
Rapid blaster + kraken would be sick. But I don't love beakons personally- I'd prefer point sensors or perhaps even spinkler. The other subs the family doesn't have yet are splat bombs, burst bombs, and wall.

But the real dilemma with the rapid blaster is whether to go for 99.9 damage. I put freshness first, and the problem is not so much looking like a charger as all the damage up gear combinations are so ugly.
Yeah, I said it, come at me. :p

J@hranimo

Banned
Rapid blaster + kraken would be sick. But I don't love beakons personally- I'd prefer point sensors or perhaps even spinkler. The other subs the family doesn't have yet are splat bombs, burst bombs, and wall.

But the real dilemma with the rapid blaster is whether to go for 99.9 damage. I put freshness first, and the problem is not so much looking like a charger as all the damage up gear combinations are so ugly.
Yeah, I said it, come at me. :p

Lol! you aren't wrong haha, although I think most of my rapid blaster gear set is pretty fresh except for the octoling goggles...they're ok.

Doorman

After a very meh weekend, leave it to picking up a charger of all things and being in a completely Japanese random turf room to finally give me a night of Splatoon where I'm not cursing out the cosmos and throwing things in frustration. I'm not a charger user at all but damn if pulling off counter-snipes or quick lineup shots isn't really satisfying.

I'm really looking forward to the Wasabi Splattershot, I think. I use the vanilla version quite often but still never seemed to figure out how to use the burst bomb rush effectively, and I've almost never touched the tentatek/octoshot due to a combination of not liking inkzooka and being a hipster who didn't want to use the weapon that seemed to dominate the meta back in the day. I think I'll like the variety of the wasabi's kit, although I'll miss the burst bomb as a sub quite a bit. I can probably transfer my SplatterPro gear set over and have it work decently well, to boot.

Top Bottom