• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ChrisD

Had my first splatoon match since December.
I won by a small margin.

Sounds like a good return!

its a shame that the majority of cold blooded shirts are among the ugliest.
Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idXni2gNNec

Remember the hype for Moray Towers and Splatfests? Promises will finally be fulfilled.

I like the green Polo, but yeah, don't care for most CB shirts. Especially that ugly jacket.

That trailer still hypes me up. The power of the Squid Sister's Boss theme.

Yeah actually the next time Moray is in Splatfest it will be more enjoyable.

I still can't believe they're finally doing (did?) it. Bless the new update cycle.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Given how long many of us here in SplatGAF have been playing the game, we’ve come across many memorable moments and classic quotes. I’ve attempted to compile a complete list in my spare time, and figured it was time to share the list to the SplatGAF OT so others can think back to some classic times, or to chip in with stuff I have missed. Please enjoy. :)

Warning: VERY LONG POST follows. Apologies for any profanities in advance.

——

“This is OP / This is shit” Main weapon tier list
  • Rollers are OP - Possibly the earliest meme in Splatoon outside of official marketing, as it originated from the testfire days (quotes can be found in the GAF Testfire OT)
  • Dynamo is OP / should be banned
  • Not using an Aerospray = Detriment to the team
  • Aerospray RG will “Evolve the Meta”
  • Tentatek is OP
  • E-Cheater3K is OP
  • E-Burst Bomber is OP
  • Run Speed Up Splatling is “absolutely disgusting” (thanks Geg)
  • Bamboo is shit / Bamboo is OP
  • ChrisD says Gals are a scrub weapon
  • “Zink Mini” is OP plz nerf (thanks SM239)
  • The OPFrog Mini

Weapon Jokes
  • Where is the scoped squiffer?
  • Where is the scoped brush?
  • Octobrush Nouveau is cancelled/never coming out (a joke made towards Azure J who had to wait so long for the weapon to come out after its discovery by data miners)
  • Disruptor Rush (lol)
  • Pink Gold Dynamo (thanks ffdgh)
  • The Luna Blaster Neo Neo Neo (resulted from hacks)
  • The 2.56 Gal Deco. The nozzle is about 15 times longer than the .96 Gal. and can cover the entire map.
  • The E-Litre 16k, with 8 nozzles that point in all directions!

Sub & Specials list
  • Inkstrike is “the best special” / OP - You can fire it off at the end of the match and it still counts.
  • Seekers are the best sub; they lock onto you and you’re doomed!
  • Burst Bombs are the worst sub; why would anyone use them? (for irony, see E-Burst Bomber 3K is OP)
  • Krakens are OP
  • Bubblers are OP
  • Inkzooka is “the worst special”
  • Inkzooka is the Greninja of Splatoon
  • Tentatek is useless after Inkzooka nerfs
  • Splash Walls are OP / Splash Wall are shit
  • Ink Mines are shit / the worst sub
  • Ink Mines can kill your OWN teammates
  • Suction/Splat Bomb Rush FPS lag - Most commonly triggered on Blackberry Skatepark & Mahi Mahi Resort
  • Disruptors are OP
  • Killer Wail is the worst special; it doesn’t even ink the ground.

Abilities are OP / Abilities are shit tier list
  • Cold Blooded is OP
  • Recon is shit / lol who uses Recon?
  • Damage Up is OP (see E-Cheater 3K is OP)
  • Defence Up is OP
  • Quick Respawn is OP (lol 3 mains = 3 seconds shorter respawn time)
  • Quick Super Jump is shit/lol who seriously uses it? - Disproven by Kevin/Triforce123
  • Ninja Squid is OP - pre v2.0 nerf
  • “Who uses Ninja Squid?” - Basically after the Ninja Squid nerf in v2.0
  • Run Speed Up stacking is OP (see Run Speed up Splatlings)
  • “I bet the Special Forces Beret has something rubbish on it, like Last Ditch Effort or Opening Gambit” - Said by Toadsili T and Jahranimo before the v 2.2 gear update. We all discover that it ends up getting Opening Gambit the next day. Souls were crushed.
  • The Freshest opening ever: Squads wearing 18k Aviators - Related to the general opinion that Last Ditch Effort is a bad ability (pre v2.6).

Ranked Mode:
  • Every single rank is hell.
  • “Get on the fucking tower! holy shit.”
  • “Somebody paint the fucking zone!”
  • “I wish all my teammates were dead.” / being let down by my teammates one last time miiverse pic.
  • "Free da Fish" - The Rainmaker itself somehow gained the simplified name of “Fish” in Voice comms, which then sort of took a life of its own.
  • #Hokoisshit - Reference to some Japanese tournaments that cast a vote on banning Rainmaker (known as Gachihoko, or just hoko in Japanese) as a playable game mode during said tournament due to the “unfairness” of the mode. Ties into similar option held by some within the Western Splatoon community.

Stage specific
  • “Peek Advantage!” - Referencing that certain stages are considered unfair due to slight aiming advantages around corners for a particular team on certain stages. This is due to all weapons in the game being biased to one side of the Inkling's body (this is a legitimate tactic known by the Japanese community).
  • “24/7” - In reference to Flounder Heights being almost constantly in rotation when Camp Triggerfish was removed from Ranked and Turf War.
  • “One stage rotation” - General experience that one particular stage within a given rotation appears far more frequently than the other. Amplified for Splatfests.

Misc.
  • Inklingnod.gif
    8nEtpDA.gif
  • Discord killed the OT
  • Squidbagging/Squikidding taunt
  • The Hi-Five Taunt
  • "Grave Respect" Taunt
  • Squidward memes on Miiverse
  • Undertale memes on Miiverse
  • Splatoon will "sell Wonderful 101 levels"
  • On a related note of game sales: Squid Legs
  • On a NEWER note: Small portions of GAF move goalposts and derail the "Splatoon sells over 1 million copies in Europe" thread. Never change GAF.
  • ”Playable Octolings better be coming tomorrow to draw attention away from Halo 5”
  • Spyke’s order. aka “It’s fucking nothing.gif”
  • SpykesOrderRemix.gif
  • Baseinvade.exe - Performed by a SplatGAF member who would consistently spawn camp other members of SplatGAF on stages such as BlackBelly SkatePark. Started the trend of other "name.ext" memes, such as...
  • TacticalInkstrike.gif
  • The Putz Strike
  • Regional Matchmaking is a highly requested feature for all game modes, but Splatfests, which force regional matchmaking, have demonstrated that the general latency experience is far worse than without it.
  • Kraken Sumo Wrestling on Tower Control
  • Recon Commander Game mode

Kevin/Triforce123 related quotes

Player specific quotes and memories
  • Violet O’s Sonic Speed Kraken/Phantom E-litre lasers (we miss you, man)
  • !NNID (Azure J being spammed on twitch for viewer battles)
  • “I am a simple man… What the fuck?” - Jahranimo during a Splatfest
  • “All he is doing is fucking rolling” - also said by Jahranimo during a Splatfest
  • Sendou says “Water on my X” when diving into the water on Mahi-Mahi Resort during a tournament match.
  • “Whenever I see Inkling Boy in the Squid Girl outfit, I think of ryechu” - references ryechu's old avatar on GAF
  • "Who's Bumbum?" - in reference to Burnburn
  • Jeff Vader falling asleep and snoring in Discord VC for about 45 minutes.
  • “Sendou buys viewers for twitch”
  • “Bitches don’t know about my Zink Mini” - SM239
  • CoconutTank say Toadsili T “sounds like an RTS announcer” -> Leads to the SplatGAF version of the “Capitan Todd” meme, which occurred on GAF around the same time.
  • “Are you British?” + “Who’s the one that sounds like Reyn?” in reference to Toadsili T
  • Sexual Saver (by L-3 Dount)
  • A37h1wR.png

[*]"I'm not looking forward to facing NSTC next time we fight in a tournament because they're gonna have fucking Sendou with his ridiculous lag, throwing fucking bombs like 5 at a time that just cover the entire map because that's what Sendou does with his everything" - flc
  • Walkman04’s #EXPOSED post, which tried to imitate typical complaint posts on Squidboards.
  • "Don't let me catch you slipping in pubs" - Twitch viewer "Sssupermario92" towards Blakstatus
  • Bluesilver, forever the B+ Hero.
  • That's a Kraken!

NSTC specific
  • The NSTC Squid
  • NSTC is forever 5th / The 5th place curse
  • The Flying Eagle strat
  • Setting up a tournament using Wii U Chat (No, really!)
  • Double Kraken Kill with Rainmaker - aka “The Best Play ever!”
  • Inkstorm 1 tournament winnings… or how we could put $16 towards a coffee machine
  • "Name Subject to Changeって外人??4−0だけど ("NSTC are gaijin? But, it's 4-0...") - Random NicoNico Viewer during Inkstorm 2 tournament
  • ”He's using a custom jr. WHAT THE FUCK?" - Imperious 1

Lol what about the dude who told blakstatus don't let me catch you slipping in pubs after they lost.
From what I understand that was ssupermario92, and he's still playing to this day. He's actually a fairly legit Silver Dynamo player with somewhat unique tactics. I watch him stream from time to time :p

ChrisD

Did Splash Wall get buffed in some early patch? Because I remember it being called one of the worst subs for a long time. And it's probably placebo, but I swear it got bigger when it was everywhere. Like it was just a little midget on launch, or so my (likely flawed) memory tells me.

Regiruler

Did Splash Wall get buffed in some early patch? Because I remember it being called one of the worst subs for a long time. And it's probably placebo, but I swear it got bigger when it was everywhere. Like it was just a little midget on launch, or so my (likely flawed) memory tells me.

They kept reporting that they fixed the bug that made splat bombs pure death to anyone using a Splash Wall. They "fixed" it about 3 times before it actually did anything.

Other than that I can't think of anything.

L95

I swear I remember it getting bigger as well, but idk.

Doorman

My
semi-
original content made it into the Toad post. I'm so proud. :' )

Going to be really curious to try out the update stuff tomorrow, server maintenance notwithstanding, and then thanks to the magic of scheduling that's the only time I'll be able to play the game until like next Monday due to being out of town. Everybody's going to have their new meta tactics all sorted out by the time I'm ready to attempt doing anything. D:

Seeing that I have a dedicated section on that list made me realize, "It could be worse."

You forgot that phrase Toadsili, but like SM239 says, "QUALITY POST"

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Seeing that I have a dedicated section on that list made me realize, "It could be worse."

You forgot that phrase Toadsili, but like SM239 says, "QUALITY POST"

Added into the post. Did originally have it in my list, but removed it for some reason.
I'm so famous in the SplatGAF lore 💖.

I forgot about our B+ Hero! Not the Hero we need, but the Hero we deserve. I salute you, brave B+ Squid. Added to the list.

noshten

So update later today around 9PM EST, nikki is going to have a field day after the update hasn't been relevant since the updates finished :p

J@hranimo

Banned
So update later today around 9PM EST, nikki is going to have a field day after the update hasn't been relevant since the updates finished :p

Oh yeah, I finally forgot about her. I wonder if her Wii U got unbanned?

Got my hat for the mobility meta, just in time for the patch that will turn all metas upside down:

Nice. I feel like I won't be fully working on lots of new gear until #TheNewMeta and the next NA Splatfest.

SM239

Best post of the OT (Sorry Bumbum)

Best post in the entire history of the OT. A culmination of some of the best jokes, quotes, and moments from the SplatGAF community.

Thank you for compiling this list! Hopefully this community continues to grow so we can add even more memories in the future.

RedFyn

Cephalopod ink contains a number of chemicals in a variety of different concentrations, depending on the species. However, its main constituents are melanin and mucus. It can also contain, among other things, tyrosinase, dopamine and L-DOPA, and small amounts of free amino acids, including taurine, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, alanine and lysine.

J@hranimo

Banned
We just don't know

Cephalopod ink contains a number of chemicals in a variety of different concentrations, depending on the species. However, its main constituents are melanin and mucus. It can also contain, among other things, tyrosinase, dopamine and L-DOPA, and small amounts of free amino acids, including taurine, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, alanine and lysine.

I don't know...but maybe Red knows a thing or two about it :p

Azure, arriving in an enemy-inked area: "What is this?!"

Everyone: "What are thooooooose?!?!

Lol

Zeeman

I was going to be all "OK, I get splat zones" after winning like 4 matches in a row and getting up to C rank. Then I managed to lose a whole bunch (plus a couple of disconnects). Still learning, I guess (although I definitely like Splat Zones more than the other Ranked Battles).

totowhoa

Banned
These changes are great across the board.

^ yeah seems like it. Makes it a great option for people who like defense. That's a big boost even if they hit you less. Almost worth it just so I dont ever have to experience dying by a suction bomb I can't see again, haha

With Bomb Sniffer, Burst Bombs will not kill you as easily. Other bombs can still OHKO you if you're in their OHKO range, but their damage is reduced if in their splash damage range.

The Tenacity buff may have been TOO big. Azure was noticing that he was getting a lot of Inkzookas by using it in a ranked mode. Custom E-Liters are gonna be something else with this. Gonna have to find a way to pressure that sniper harder.

Opening Gambit is just amusing. I didn't get a chance to play around with it much, but wow. I might end up using it more for my other builds that aren't for sniping. Same with Last Ditch Effort. That Quick Respawn addition feels good. Oh, and Kevin was shooting a Jr for what felt like 30 seconds straight.

I haven't tested out Comeback much, so I have nothing to say there. Same with Haunt.

Ink Rec is probably my favorite. My play is very much affected by how fast my ink can recover, especially if I'm playing with bombs. While it's mild and I need to play around with it a bit more, I can feel it.

Special Duration Up allows you to shoot/move faster after launching an Inkstrike/Wail. Not sure how much it would help considering that you usually hide when launching those. They still have a startup animation.

The best part about this update is that fresh gear is very viable now. =D

ChrisD

Tenacity too good?
Opening Gambit even more dumb fun?

Ohohoho, sounds like things are better than text was showing.

Hop into Ranked. Three E-Liters using the exact same thing - Captain's Hat, Squid Girl Shirt, Plum Casuals

Does new stuff not matter to you Japan

ChrisD

Opening Gambit makes you Squid God for the first thirty seconds.

but

Bomb Sniffer
Bomb
Friggin
Sniffer

I lived three encounters with an E-Liter that would have been death before. They have to aim their bombs at me! It's amazing! I'm not taking this ability off for a few days. <3

J@hranimo

Banned

Is this the first official art with the squid sisters and their hero weapons?

Opening Gambit + My Rapid Blaster = You better be at your position before me because I'm getting those directs in early lol. I can actually strafe with the rapid blaster thanks to the OG buff!
for 30 seconds...

I'm genuinely impressed with the Special Duration Up and Ink Saver Sub buffs so much I'm working on a new carbon deco build just to incorporate some of it into it.

Tenacity special charge up is definitely noticeable. Getting these specials is going to be crazy now.

Another good update where most of the things got buffed instead of nerfed. Looking forward to the weapon packs and balances next month.

ffdgh

Speaking of ink saver sub, it's rather nice being able to throw out 2 splat/suction bombs now. Not sure if that was already possible.

Moondrop

Banned
You can throw 5 burst bombs per tank with as little as 2 main/1 sub of ink saver sub. However I'm not sure that compares to the sweet ink recovery up buff.

But of course bomb sniffer. I haven't seen everyone using it yet, but it's likely a matter of time. Though another school of thought is I should take my L3D and personally enforce the bomb sniffer meta.

Haunt buff doesn't completely invalidate custom blaster I guess- at least it means foes won't be wearing cold-blooded. Might even make them charge in foolishly.

Suppose I should try a splat bomb build... With a special like bubbler or echo, you can get off four bombs in relatively quick succession. Invincible mini bomb rush!

StAidan

Having played a couple hours of solo ranked, it was funny to see that most players seemed to be ignoring the enhanced perks. Maybe folks are learning them in privates/squads before taking the new stuff into randoms, though.

On the other hand, the matchmaking differences have been immediately noticeable. Every matchup was roughly equal in weapon distribution, particularly in terms of range. Before the patch, I could quite literally get ONE match in an entire week that included a sniper on my team. Post patch, if there are at least 2 snipers in the lobby, my team always gets one. Also, since I'm still an S rank scrub with an Octoshot, I haven't seen a single S+ or A+ in my lobbies. Feels a lot more fair.

Azure J

So I forgot to do this last night but I have a small bit of time and can touch on a few things in this #NewMeta world:

Haunt: For further clarification since the internet as a whole sucks at explaining this one, whenever a person is splatted while wearing Haunt, they tag the person that splatted them for a time comparable to Echolocator/Point Sensors (about 12 seconds if they don't have cold blooded). If the person wearing Haunt gear is at any point tagged themselves by either an enemy Echolocator, Point Sensors or another person's Haunt tag, they get ability buffs roughly equal to one main of Damage Up, Defense Up & Run Speed Up.

That said, this one is a legit game changer. It will essentially force Echo usage down even further (lest teams be ready to deal with X-Factor'd squids everywhere), weapons with Point Sensors will be very heavily scrutinized and Cold Blooded will still retain a strong place in the meta anyway as its the only thing that reliably deals with Haunt interactions. The buffs are strong enough that I can see a lot of team compositions changing rapidly in the future to further curb Echo and even when Echo goes away fully, you still have a self generating tag upon your splat so it isn't even as though detection of opponents goes out the window either.

Tenacity: Shit's broke brehs.

Last night, we doofed around in a private lobby testing the new effects of this particular ability and with no hard numbers to work from all I can give you is this. The new Tenacity is so fucking strong I was struggling to have moments where my Special Meter wasn't 3/4 filled just to actually catch experiments on my stream last night. The new Tenacity is so strong that I had ~8 Inkzookas available to myself casually fucking around in a Rainmaker match on Piranha Pit while using the Octobrush Nouveau. The new Tenacity is so fucking strong that if the enemy team so much as sniffs the objective in the ranked modes while I'm down even one player on my team, everything was Kraken thanks to how both the in game "defending team special boost" and Tenacity play with one another. The new Tenacity is so strong, the Black Arrowbands with their Tenacity main and Special Saver bias is now up there with the Squid Nordic (Comeback with Quick Respawn bias) as a piece of gear with a perfect main and sub bias synergy as well as being (IMO) a confirmed part of the Custom E-Liter 3K (Scope) Starter Pack.&#8482;

The. New. Tenacity. Is. Fucking. Ridiculous.

Ink Efficiency Abilities: Haven't had a chance to do number crunching yet, but it really does feel a fuck load nicer now between Ink Saver Main, Sub and Recovery Up. My oldest 96 Deco build consisting of Special Charge Up Main, 2 Ink Saver Main subs, Cold Blooded with 3 Ink Saver Sub subs & Ink Resistance with 4 Ink Recovery Up subs (spread out between 1 on the hat and 3 on the shoes) has never ever felt so completely self sustaining and efficient. What's more, 9pts (3 subs) of Ink Saver Sub is resulting in me having about ~45-50% or slightly more of my tank left after throwing a Splash Wall from full. Really cool stuff.

Tangent: This probably means the Jungle Hat will come back in some ways depending on weaponry. Not sure if want. :p

Opening Gambit/Last Ditch Effort: Opening Gambit is so fucking legit. I've been casually using the ability for a bit before the patch (because of the Special Forces Beret's maxed out freshness levels) and always felt that its gimmick was "neat but not apparent enough for it to be a serious decision for most." The new OG however? If you don't win your roll outs from spawn 11 out of 10 times, you either fucked up something big time, had enough time to do a few laps before getting to your post or you won mid roll out. It's just that strong a buff. For further context, I've been using OG to get established ASAP with a Kelp Splatterscope and I'm currently investigating uses with other chargers as well (namely E-Liters to reach perches first or control space quickly). It also helps that I have a somewhat atypical Beret with 2 Ink Recovery subs. Still trying to snag SM's triple Ink Recovery variant.

Last Ditch Effort is fucking Goku mode. I'm not sure what the actual numbers are for how much Ink Saver Main, Ink Saver Sub & Ink Recovery Up are but the effect is real and extremely strong. The addition of some amount of Quick Respawn that further stacks with other QR you might have on your builds is bonkers as well. The devs also had to know what they were doing with this particular change since three out of the four Last Ditch Effort items have abilities that pair well with the buffs given via LDE's activation:

Zekko: Tinted Shades (Special Saver bias; die often, quick respawn more with enough special saved from the last exchange)
Rockenberg: 18K Aviators (Run Speed Up bias; compliment your Ink Efficiency buffs with mobility perks! Perfect for short to mid range shooter weapons looking for a little more "daka" in firefights. Add some swim speeds to get your Fuzzy on and look stylish as fuck while doing so!)
Skalop: Visor Skate Helmet (Quick Respawn bias; What goes good with quick respawn? MOAR QUICK RESPAWN!)

...did I also forget to mention that the ability remains in play after the opposing team pushes objective below 30 points?

...did I also forget to mention that if you push objective further than they do with LDE in effect, it stays in effect?

Essentially, the last 30 paces & overtime in ranked objective modes and even some squad matches will get crazy and fast.

Bomb Sniffer: Haven't tested personally, but I'm sure Backlot, Pan and a few others could chime in on this one in particular.

I remember joking about how Callie is probably the most savage roller player and Marie is an aimbot recently and this art along with other comments from them are beginning to solidify this sentiment. :lol

Kito

On the other hand, the matchmaking differences have been immediately noticeable. Every matchup was roughly equal in weapon distribution, particularly in terms of range. Before the patch, I could quite literally get ONE match in an entire week that included a sniper on my team. Post patch, if there are at least 2 snipers in the lobby, my team always gets one. Also, since I'm still an S rank scrub with an Octoshot, I haven't seen a single S+ or A+ in my lobbies. Feels a lot more fair.

Love the balance of the new matchmaking. It's no longer a case of 'take a gal/tentatek or you're screwed'. I used a dynamo in solo for ~2 hours, and if there was another dynamo in the room, they were never paired with me.

Robotguy

Tenacity too good?
Opening Gambit even more dumb fun?

Ohohoho, sounds like things are better than text was showing.

Hop into Ranked. Three E-Liters using the exact same thing - Captain's Hat, Squid Girl Shirt, Plum Casuals

Does new stuff not matter to you Japan
Eliters. Eliters never change.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Most of these changes are terrible.

It's obvious that Nintendo is going to continue to nerf things that don't require nerfing, buff things that don't deserve buffing, and totally ignore the fundamental problems in Splatoon.

Lag cheaters, Squid Partiers, and the complete lack of bots.

Top Bottom