• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER Bioshock Infinite SPOILER discussion

dejay

Banned
Question: The tears that Elizabeth manipulates during the game, including the weapons, storage hooks, etc. as well as the large ones where she skips realities - are they all established before hand by the Lutece twins? I hadn't thought about it too much 'till now.

I've started another play through but haven't got to Liz yet.

I think it actually works well, the whole thing stands as an example of how wrecked with guilt he is about his past: when baptized he doesn't try to drown it away, he tried to GLORIFY and JUSTIFY his prior misdeeds.

I doubt it was intentional, but I see Booker being reborn as Comstock as paralleling Liz destroying her tower - both are unshackled from what was keeping them from reaching their full power. In Booker's case it was guilt.

Yeah I agree.

I think the use of racism and overzealous patriotism wasn't meant to be a theme of the city..but rather Booker himself. Maybe the Vox represent the parts of him that hates himself (Booker) and is self destructive.

The events occurring in Columbia are really just a mirror of what's occuring to Booker. The racism, the overzelous patriotism (his murderings in Wounded Knee, and how he hates native americans), it really does tie things together really nicely if you look at it from that perspective.

Yeah, Columbia really is a city built by Comstock, including the society to a large extent. Perhaps the Vox can be seen to represent the negative part of Booker, the part that hates what he is and want to bring it down.

DatDude

Banned
Yeah, Columbia really is a city built by Comstock, including the society to a large extent. Perhaps the Vox can be seen to represent the negative part of Booker, the part that hates what he is and want to bring it down.

Exactly.

I think that's the problem that most of us had at first.

These radical themes..how do they fit into the context of the narrative?

If you look at those themes just at face value there irreleveant. If you look at them metaphorically though, it's about creating a mirror of the character himself.

Like the poster above me mentioned very Silent Hill esque. An honestly, looking it through that specific lens really makes the whole racism themes seem much more relevant to the narratives plot.

Just finished the game-absolutely loved it. One of my favorite games ever-definetely spoke to my sensibilities entirely.

I'm reading this thread from the beginning, got a ways to go-but it's great to read all the discussion and love of the game and it's crazy, beautiful story.

In retrospect-the OP sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOXP4dqDV3U

ALSO-the soundtrack of this game man....amazing. The "carnival organ" version of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is awesome.

Questions on Elizabeth:-
is it mentioned that she creates random tears?
or are those based on her thought and the tears that open are one those possible and are happenning at that time.

question on her mother comstock:-
is the spirit just a manifestation of her anger or something more.
she attacks booker because she knows he is comstock?
or Ian it cause she thinks Elizabeth bastard child?

TheOddOne

- Eurogamer: The Hall of Heroes: BioShock Infinite's Fort Frolic?
We all went into BioShock Infinite expecting a bit of narrative duplicity - and boy did we get it - but once the frothing waters of the ending had grown still again in my head, the area of the game that left the greatest impression on me was the Hall of Heroes. People who go into these post-Looking Glass games seeking levels they can salute with the same pride as Thief 3's The Cradle or BioShock's Fort Frolic may want to turn their attention here.
Not least when you consider the battles the exhibits reflect on - Wounded Knee wasn't a famous US victory, it was a massacre of women and children, and the Boxer Rebellion was a politically complex conflict. One of its legacies was the US presidential precedent of sending armed troops into battle on foreign soil without the support of Congress or a declaration of war. I said in my review of Infinite that I felt these elements were handled well and added to Columbia's integrity; I can also imagine they were chosen exactly because they're the kinds of conflict that other war-based shooters happily use as background fireworks without enough thought.
Because, of course, the biggest irony of the Hall of Heroes is that Slate's whole worldview is wrong. Comstock was at Wounded Knee and the Boxer Rebellion. It was only after his baptism, rebirth and ascent to Columbia that he went from hoping to shed the shame and self-hatred of his Wounded Knee experience - still clear in Booker - to distorting it for his political gain, but as a result Slate's hatred of Comstock is at least partially just ignorance that Comstock chose not to correct. Comstock may not have been the Commander, as he says, but as Booker's exchanges with Slate reveal, he had a pretty big role to play.

DatDude

Banned

Nice read thanks.

I'd say my favorite level in Infinite was Comstocks house.

Only because the atmosphere in that level was just so god damn thick, and had a really great feeling of Bioshock's medical pavillion level (the only horror level in Bioshock really)...and honestly, I think Comstock house created a better atmosphere in terms of horror than Medical Pavilion did.

sappyday

shouldn't cover art early 40s Harrison Ford and late 60s Comstock be the same age?

Are you asking if Comstock and Booker should be the same age? Yes they are. This is evident in the Hall of Heroes when you can see a timeline of Comstocks life and it says he was born in 1874. Which would make him 38, which is the same age Booker is. However, because of the tears it apparently made him age faster (Solid Snake effect I guess)

Sblargh

Banned
Question: The tears that Elizabeth manipulates during the game, including the weapons, storage hooks, etc. as well as the large ones where she skips realities - are they all established before hand by the Lutece twins? I hadn't thought about it too much 'till now.

I've started another play through but haven't got to Liz yet.

That's a good, but I think ultimately unanswared, question. I think it might go both ways.

She does comment that it is not weird that they are convinient because they are tied to her desires, so it might just be that when she really needs them, as when in battle or when she wants to hear music, she can do them, albeit without full control.

It's weird, because stuff like the window on the elevator or all the shit she throws at Booker when trying to escape her after losing the airship, it seems very efortless and without the need of any previous tear.

Cerity

She says it's a form of wish fulfillment, so she probably subconciously looks for realities that have things in the area which can help.

She also says she sees more tears/more tears open up when she's anxious at one point.

MormaPope

Banned
There's a scientifically themed graph or chart that shows when Elizabeth had her first period, that her power grew exponentially. And once her powers entered a certain threshold, no one could be in or work in monument island.

The time when anyone but Elizabeth was banned was almost immediately after she had her first period, which leads me to believe that Comstock was worried about Elizabeth getting attached to anyone that entered the tower, the girl hasn't had social interactions with a male or female ever, she could easily become infatuated with anyone that would give her the time of day.

Her getting pregnant would probably taint Comstock's reputation as being a pure and morally driven leader, not to mention he would have to deal with a plethora of potential problems that would arise.

It is interesting Elizabeth became much more powerful when she got the bodily functions of a woman.

There's a scientifically themed graph or chart that shows when Elizabeth had her first period, that her power grew exponentially. And once her powers entered a certain threshold, no one could be in or work in monument island.

The time when anyone but Elizabeth was banned was almost immediately after she had her first period, which leads me to believe that Comstock was worried about Elizabeth getting attached to anyone that entered the tower, the girl hasn't had social interactions with a male or female ever, she could easily become infatuated with anyone that would give her the time of day.

Her getting pregnant would probably taint Comstock's reputation as being a pure and morally driven leader, not to mention he would have to deal with a plethora of potential problems that would arise.

It is interesting Elizabeth became much more powerful when she got the bodily functions of a woman.

If this is for real?

Whoa

MormaPope

Banned
If this is for real?

Whoa

I missed it the first time because the phrase "Menarche" is used on the graph. Menarche means first menstruation, I looked up the phrase after seeing it on of the displays on the first floor. There's the teddy bear, diary, and Menarche on display which can be altered with the switches provided.

In the Menarche display it's a white rag with blood, on my 2nd playthrough it hit me like a ton of bricks, that display had her first period, it's labeled on the display and graph that she had her first period when she was 13, about to turn 14.

On the graph when she's in the middle of being 14 years old is around when her power skyrockets, at that point the graph is labeled that it's too dangerous to be in the same vicinity or building as Elizabeth.

nomis

There's a scientifically themed graph or chart that shows when Elizabeth had her first period, that her power grew exponentially.

In the Menarche display it's a white rag with blood, on my 2nd playthrough it hit me like a ton of bricks, that display had her first period, it's labeled on the display and graph that she had her first period when she was 13, about to turn 14.

iZ7lK0cymPoE1.gif

SumGamer

Can someone point me to the post that explain why Booker dying would stop Comstock again please? Reading too much got me confused again.

MormaPope

Banned

That sequence is actually pretty neat thinking about it, Booker missed out on every big development with his daughter, he never got to teach her how to walk, he never bought her a toy or teddy to be attached to, he never had to help her understand and get through her first period.

Yet Comstock saving all these developments as scientific evidence sort of gives Booker perspective on all the things he's missed, if only he could remember. Watching her through the two way mirrors sort of reminds me of a nursery, and when you escape with her it's like Booker is finally taking his baby/child home.

Born again in some ways perhaps.

Violet_0

Banned
Can someone point me to the post that explain why Booker dying would stop Comstock again please? Reading too much got me confused again.

apparently in this universe when Booker dies before the baptism (where the split occurs) all timelines are repaired as there will be no more Booker or Comstock in any other dimension

think of the baptism as flipping a coin - heads, he becomes Comstock in some dimensions; tails, he remains Booker in others. The solution - kill him before he flips the coin. According to the alternative reality rules in Bioshock Infinite, this retroactively changes all existing timelines to where Comstock, Columbia or Elizabeth (aside from the one Elizabeth who brought Booker back to the past) never existed.

dejay

Banned
That sequence is actually pretty neat thinking about it, Booker missed out on every big development with his daughter, he never got to teach her how to walk, he never bought her a toy or teddy to be attached to, he never had to help her understand and get through her first period.

Yet Comstock saving all these developments as scientific evidence sort of gives Booker perspective on all the things he's missed, if only he could remember. Watching her through the two way mirrors sort of reminds me of a nursery, and when you escape with her it's like Booker is finally taking his baby/child home.

Born again in some ways perhaps.

I like to believe, on some subconscious level, that Booker knew that Liz was more to him than someone he just had to rescue to pay off a debt. He entered the tear knowing he was going after his own daughter and after seeing what he as up against the logical choice would have been to try and get home alone and kill the handful of debt collectors himself rather than trying to rescue a girl out of a prison.

sappyday

I missed it the first time because the phrase "Menarche" is used on the graph. Menarche means first menstruation, I looked up the phrase after seeing it on of the displays on the first floor. There's the teddy bear, diary, and Menarche on display which can be altered with the switches provided.

On the graph when she's in the middle of being 14 years old is around when her power skyrockets, at that point the graph is labeled that it's too dangerous to be in the same vicinity or building as Elizabeth.

Fucking shit. I'm on second playthrough but I'm way past that point and I made sure this time around to focus a lot more on the details especially since I understood what really was going one. But I just love the fact that there are still details out there that I miss and it makes me want to replay the game already just to witness them.

This game at first impressed and I really did like it but the more I play it again and the more I read up on the ending and all the details the more this game is becoming one of my favorites this gen.

Nice find. I took a shot of it and didn't even realise the significance.

There was also this one

nomis

Watching her through the two way mirrors sort of reminds me of a nursery, and when you escape with her it's like Booker is finally taking his baby/child home.

You saying this reminds me, last night I had a dream that I was experiencing the timeline of Infinite as Robert Lutece alongside Rosalind... and this interface in which I tracked Booker through realities was very much a metaphysical abstraction of the Columbia Tower observation areas. Right down the "Specimen Tracker" wall panels that light up. I would see a flash that said "Battleship Bay" knowing that that was where I needed to observe next, then see an omnicent view of Booker throwing vigors like I was looking into an open tear.

The dream was cool as fuck. Considering I was lying awake for an hour thinking about the game, it's no wonder it stayed on my mind as I drifted off.

SumGamer

apparently in this universe when Booker dies before the baptism (where the split occurs) all timelines are repaired as there will be no more Booker or Comstock in any other dimension

Thanks, I remember it now.

I found that to be a bit convenient after all the elaborate the game set it up for the final moment. Why not just go back to the day Booker was born and kill him? If we are going by this theory then any point in life up to the baptism would be the same, right?

I was thinking a bit about "constants & variables" and reason with myself that baptism is constant. In every verse the baptism occur so it must be. By killing Booker there, the same thing should occur in every universe. But I can't find more evidence to support this. Has it been shot down?

I just don't think that the game take a convenient shortcut like I believed.

EVIL

ROFL, I just found out you needed to avoid the sirens, I casually gun blazed trough that bit hoping to find more ammo.

Thanks, I remember it now.

I found that to be a bit convenient after all the elaborate the game set it up for the final moment. Why not just go back to the day Booker was born and kill him? If we are going by this theory then any point in life up to the baptism would be the same, right?

I was thinking a bit about "constants & variables" and reason with myself that baptism is constant. In every verse the baptism occur so it must be. By killing Booker there, the same thing should occur in every universe. But I can't find more evidence to support this. Has it been shot down?

I just don't think that the game take a convenient shortcut like I believed.

The baptism will always occur, but Elizabeth's actions turn any timeline where Booker accepts the baptism into a paradox (Liz kills Booker right after he accepts the baptism, but doing so would erase her from existence, thus preventing her from killing him). Nature then rewrites the paradoxes out of the timelines completely so the only remaining scenario is for Booker to reject the baptism (No Comstock->No Liz->Liz can't kill Booker->No paradox).

Only Comstock-Booker needs to die. Regular Booker doesn't lead to events that threaten the space/time continuum. That's my understanding at least, I'm sure someone can come up with a great set of points for another view.

edit - Thinking it over a bit, another reason why killing Booker at birth may not work is that it would make the entire timeline a paradox. Killing him immediately after the moment of choice only creates paradoxes from the timelines that branch from his acceptance of the baptism.

SumGamer

The baptism will always occur, but Elizabeth's actions turn any timeline where Booker accepts the baptism into a paradox (Liz kills Booker right after he accepts the baptism, but doing so would erase her from existence, thus preventing her from killing him). Nature then rewrites the paradoxes out of the timelines completely so the only remaining scenario is for Booker to reject the baptism. Only Comstock-Booker needs to die. Regular Booker doesn't lead to events that threaten the space/time continuum. That's my understanding at least, I'm sure someone can come up with a great set of points for another view.

edit - Thinking it over a bit, another reason why killing Booker at birth may not work is that it would make the entire timeline a paradox. Killing him immediately after the moment of choice only creates paradoxes from the timelines that branch from his acceptance of the baptism.

Liz's power give me a headache. While the story sure explain how powerful she is to justify what she did. It just seems convenient to me.

That said, why none of the Lutece try to chop their pinky off with the tear then? It seems to be a small price to be able to bend time/space at will.

McSpidey

I love how they even manage to include the 4th wall aspect of everyone/us playing the game as simultaneous instances of Booker/players. Games themselves are the target once again, but just from a different perspective. Comstock as a prophet even mirrors ourselves as we try to guess the future/ending of the game, seek to be the one who knows the truth (of the story/ending etc) to tell other gamers and change the inevitable future the whole way through.

dejay

Banned
ROFL, I just found out you needed to avoid the sirens, I casually gun blazed trough that bit hoping to find more ammo.

That big sign at the front was a give away, plus the beam of light, but I tried to sneak past the first one and I fucked it up somehow.

After that I said "fuck it" because I dislike most sneaky games - couldn't get into Thief, I hate hitman and MGS bores me.

Wow, the menarche thing went completely over my head, totally did not click with me when I saw it on the chalkboard. The fact that he's essentially looking at three major events in his daughter's life without even knowing it is crazy.

Liz's power give me a headache. While the story sure explain how powerful she is to justify what she did. It just seems convenient to me.

That said, why none of the Lutece try to chop their pinky off with the tear then? It seems to be a small price to be able to bend time/space at will.

The Luteces already have some degree of manipulation of spacetime from their machine being destroyed in close proximity of them. They may not be omniscient like Elizabeth when the siphon is destroyed, but they can open tears and freely move through dimensions and spaces within them.

EVIL

That big sign at the front was a give away, plus the beam of light, but I tried to sneak past the first one and I fucked it up somehow.

After that I said "fuck it" because I dislike most sneaky games - couldn't get into Thief, I hate hitman and MGS bores me.

I saw the sign but didn't really spend allot of attention to it. Probably a ton of references and bits and pieces of the story told trough the environment that I missed because of the combat.

Cerity

I think part of the reason for Elizabeth drowning Booker at the baptism is so that Booker and Anna could live normally. Also going back any further would be unnecessary, I think Elizabeth more or less gets on the same grounds as the Lutece's and sees this.

dejay

Banned
I think part of the reason for Elizabeth drowning Booker at the baptism is so that Booker and Anna could live normally. Also going back any further would be unnecessary, I think Elizabeth more or less gets on the same grounds as the Lutece's and sees this.

Yeah - being a responsible "time lord" she only prunes what she needs. After all, there were children born on Columbia that may now not exist because of what she did (including the child she rescues from Fitzroy). Even as a "god" I don't think she'd take the decision lightly.

The Luteces already have some degree of manipulation of spacetime from their machine being destroyed in close proximity of them. They may not be omniscient like Elizabeth when the siphon is destroyed, but they can open tears and freely move through dimensions and spaces within them.
So they faked thier death?
when we chase the siren,we come to know in a tear that they were dead.

The thing that staggered me most was the metacommentary on gaming: the idea that millions of Bioshock Infinite players will play through variations upon this story and universe, each in subtly different ways. Constants (the levels, the enemies, the plot points) and variables (different deaths, playing styles, choices, things found or missed). And each player, if they play to the end, ultimately resolves 'their' universe (or set of related universes) and collapses it so it never existed. We all start from the same lighthouse and end in the same river bed, but each playthrough is another 'world', another lighthouse winking in the distance.

So the audience for the videogame Bioshock Infinite is actually living and instantiating the premise of Bioshock Infinite. The scenes with the many lighthouses were my favourite; for an instant, Infinite felt like a multiplayer game like no other. And Elizabeth's dialogue in those scenes reminded me of the end of Gaiman's Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?.

Couple that with the idea that Infinite sort of 'solved' (on its own, arbitrary terms, but still...) people's criticisms of the second half of the original Bioshock. The part where you're in the room with the baby Anna and the adult Elizabeth and she just pronounces that sooner or later you will hand over the child, because you always did, always do, always will... and this is the nature of our determined worlds, not just a problem of 'ludonarrative dissonance'... in your face, gamers.

Violet_0

Banned
The part where you're in the room with the baby Anna and the adult Elizabeth and she just pronounces that sooner or later you will hand over the child, because you always did, always do, always will... and this is the nature of our determined worlds, not just a problem of 'ludonarrative dissonance'... in your face, gamers.

really? I stopped playing there. Take that, Ken!
no I didn't I'm not crazy

quaere

When Elizabeth sings the song while you play guitar to calm down the kid, it was one of my favorite moments in video games.
Same.

The game really had to earn it too. Think of that sort of scene appearing in any number of other war torn video games - it would be laughable. Even games that aspire to some of the same things (see Mass Effect 3's child) often fail. Says a a lot about the skill of world and character building here.

Guri

Wait, how is Anna and Elizabeth the same person? I thought that Anna was his wife and Liz their daughter and the baby? I didn't see anywhere in-game how Anna is Liz.

Also, where in the game is that graph about Liz's period?

Goddamn. I looked at that rag and thought it was strange, but never did it occur to me that it was connected to the start of her menstruation cycle.

Goddamn!

Wait, how is Anna and Elizabeth the same person? I thought that Anna was his wife and Liz their daughter and the baby? I didn't see anywhere in-game how Anna is Liz.

"Anna Dewitt" is Elizabeth's real name. Anna is Booker's child. Booker sold Anna to Comstock to wipe away his debt and immediately regretted the decision but failed to stop her from being pulled through the tear. The name Elizabeth was presumably given to her by Comstock.

The graph that shows her power level relating to her first menstruation is in Monument Island and can be viewed when you enter the room with the siphon.

Symbolics is the key to this. So yes, thematically that's pretty much that.

Yes, people need to understand that Rapture and Columbia ARE NOT in the same timeline.
They are totally different universes. After Columbia there was no Rapture and before Rapture there was no Columbia, plain and simple. The New York we see in Infinite is the New York for Columbia's universe, and even if Raptures universe has a New York is not the same New York as the one we saw in Infinite.
All the references are symbolic, and represent the variation under the same rules that Elizabeth tells "There always one lighthouse, one man, one city", from there the rest of the universe can look a lot like Columbia, or even Rapture, with some small differences (like the different choices Booker does, different Elizabeths, or even the different choices we did as the player, etc...) or be even bigger like Rapture or a city made by cats and dogs, and even there the symbolism Elizabeth talks about would still be present.
The ADN thing is also pure symbolism, thats why Booker can operate the bathysphere, because he is the Comstock/Andrew Ryan from another universe, still is only symbolims, not a real family tree thing.

spirity

lutrece_zpsbabd8e4a.jpg

Lutrece's juggling with baseballs just before the fair at the start, as seen through the telescope. If you run to that area they're not there.

SzNux73.gif

The baby Booker sells to wipe away his debt is Anna. She's renamed Elizabeth by Comstock.

One big ass level doesn't have to do anything with the core narrative. Fleshing out side stuff is something where Infinite fails. I would have loved to find out more about the city itself. Don't get me wrong, woobley-wibly-timey time travel stuff is great, but I think they missed an opportunity to create a more "believable" and "human" city.

This game never needed a more human and belivable city, because it clashes with the concept it tries to show (no, its not cut because of the time travel woobley thing you say). It needed to look like a giant beautiful diorama, and they accomplish this perfectly. Its like Disneyland's Main Street, a very beautiful place, but its only a facade (I dont mean Disneyland in a twisted sense like in Infinite, in Disneyland is a facade because its only a park that wants to bring americana childhood memories not a city for people to live, while in Infinite it serves a real and dark purpose), it would never work in real life, thats why even if despising other races, they still need cheap human labour for the thing to work.
The beautiful architecture is only something to hide the horrible society that lives in there.

Top Bottom