• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER Bioshock Infinite SPOILER discussion

Dachande

Yeah this one has been answered a billion times here.

With her pinky severed and existing in a different universe, she simultaneously exists in two dimensions. Her powers come from this fact.

I wondered if that might have had something to do with it, but was there any in-game explanation of that? I don't recall any audio logs about it after the sequence where you witness it happening or anyone saying so... not saying you're wrong or lying or anything, just curious as to how players are meant to work that out.

Zeliard

I've got some questions from the end of the game, sorry if they've been answered already...

How does Elizabeth become as powerful as she is? She's just a regular girl when Comstock takes her, right? Do the Luteces experiment on her after the snatch to give her her powers or something? That doesn't seem to be explained.

It's stated by Rosalind Lutece somewhere that Elizabeth losing her finger meant that she was in effect residing in two different realities, and the universe "doesn't like its peas with its porridge."

It's a similar reason the Luteces were so powerful - they were trapped between realities after they were "killed."

Do they ever explain where Songbird comes from or what exactly it is? I assume it's something the Luteces made at some point, but that's never elaborated on.

Fink creation. It's implied he got the idea for things like Songbird by looking at tears to other worlds (Rapture would be a good place to look at to get ideas on how to make vigors and Handymen).

DarkKyo

I wondered if that might have had something to do with it, but was there any in-game explanation of that? I don't recall any audio logs about it after the sequence where you witness it happening or anyone saying so... not saying you're wrong or lying or anything, just curious as to how players are meant to work that out.

There are voxophones that talk about it in one way or another I believe. It makes the most sense, anyways.

Any of you guys save Slate on the first encounter only to kill him in his vegetable state in the cell?

I love what Elizabeth says there.

Marcel

There are voxophones that talk about it in one way or another I believe. It makes the most sense, anyways.

I wish the audio logs would have subtitles while they play instead of relegating the text to some submenu that's a pain to read on a TV.

Starting a new playthough. In he lighthouse...

I see a letter on he wall.

"Be prepared, he's on his way. You must stop him - C"

Then upstairs there is the dead man in he chair.

So, the deadman was shot by the Luteces? He was there to stop Booker, and Comstock sent him the note?

sonicmj1

This timeline on Columbia may not be perfect but it might clear up some of your questions. Comstock believes that God is showing him visions of the future via Lutece's invention early on in his born again years. A universe where his flying city cleanses the world at the hands of his daughter is interpreted as prophecy, or at least presented as such. I am not aware if their first encounter is mentioned explicitly in the game. Debuting a vision for what Columbia could be and mean for American Exceptionalism at the 1893 Worlds Fair was the driving force for its creation and backing by the U.S. Govt and probably gave the movement a good amount of exposure.

Also worth noting is that the Founders are a leadership group led by Comstock that we don't get a ton of information on in the main game, aside from Fink and environmental clues. While the main points on how Columbia was introduced to the public, funded and launched are there, there's a lot of room for Irrational to fill in some blanks if they choose to.

I guess that doesn't explain where Comstock meets Lutece, but it kind of supports my theory about where the prophecies come from. During his baptism, Comstock may have seen the same vision that Booker did when he was drowning before washing ashore on Battleship Bay (I think. Haven't replayed the game yet. If that vision happened after Booker's "baptism" entering Columbia, then the parallel is pretty obvious).

I totally missed this part in the game. Where was it?
BF0DC29243A239D89E6B3034ADE9B5F7AFB4F2DB

When you encounter Elizabeth in the different rooms separated by a window in her tower.

BTW If you see, this is not our real Paris, is Paris in another universe (or in the same one as Columbia) that looks a lot like our real universe but with some differences, like The Return of the Jedi being The Revenge of the Jedi, title is in french (the original name of the film before they changed it to what we know now).
Something similar happens in Fringe when you see a movie marquee with Back to the Future starring Eric Stoltz, that was the first version recorded of the movie before they recasted and gave Marty McFly to Michael J Fox.

Here is the scene:
Fringe215_0004459.JPG

Agreed, I wasn't expecting a response from that.

I kind of wish more stuff had responses like that, if you go to lady Comstocks grave before you are told to go there, nothing happens. I turned to Elizabeth and was like uhhhh?? really nothing ok. Then the next quest after that she was like we need to find lady Comstocks grave.

stuff like that could have been cleaned up a bit to make things feel more real.

So, the deadman was shot by the Luteces? He was there to stop Booker, and Comstock sent him the note?

comstock put him there, knowing booker would turn up at some point. the luteces killed the lighthouse keeper after he killed the 'first' booker they brought through.
of course booker sees it as a threat towards him & the debt, which we assume too because blahblah make up memories where none exist blahblah.

it's incredible the game gives so much away right at the start but we're all blind to it until the second play through. :D

Definitely killed by the Luteces but I like to think a lot of the evidence of violence was planted there to make it look more gruesome and more in line with Booker's gangland/debt "reality".

Andrew.

Banned
dunno if anyone posted this, but I'm freaking out

I wanna say this could be a pretty elaborate hoax involving recording the Songbird death sound and just playing it during Fort Frolic.

Now I feel the need to replay that level just to see if you can in fact hear it. Are we sure this isnt some Splicer scream or something either?

I wanna say this could be a pretty elaborate hoax involving recording the Songbird death sound and just playing it during Fort Frolic.

Now I feel the need to replay that level just to see if you can in fact hear it. Are we sure this isnt some Splicer scream or something either?

The video was uploaded in 2012 so thats impossible.
Still I think is only the sound of a whale, and its the same sound they use to create how Songbird sings.
It would be amazing if Levine planted it becuase he already knew it though.

Ummm, I question whats about the red line there. The tour thorugh america the city does as its showed in one of the kinetoscopes?

Zeliard

Not to burst bubbles for those of you who are seriously considering the possibility, but I'm fairly certain Songbird didn't exist then. Levine has said a few times that the only thing they had at the start of the project was the concept of a city in the sky. And Songbird himself went through a number of iterations.

Having said all that, it's pretty obvious that Songbird is a dimension X-version of Andrew Ryan.

Andrew.

Banned
Still I think is only the sound of a whale, and its the same sound they use to create how Songbird sings.

Couldnt see the upload date cause I cant watch it at work.

It probably was just a whale sound.

dunno if anyone posted this, but I'm freaking out

4chan said:
Guys, you can hear Songbird dying in the first game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpmvkZ6TIMk
Around the 14 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsjYmlnP1a4

Finished the game a few says ago, this thread has been great at answereing all the questions i had. Thanks to you all :)

The above however is frekkin crazy, even watched another video just to make sure it wasnt IGN working with PR. LOVE stuff like this.

there is no way they planned that sound in 2007 to tie into infinite. IF.. it is indeed on purpose it was something that they decided to use a sound from rapture for the songbird death just to tie it all together.

I want to believe.

but I doubt it.

raphier

Banned
Not to burst bubbles for those of you who are seriously considering the possibility, but I'm fairly certain Songbird didn't exist then. Levine has said a few times that the only thing they had at the start of the project was the concept of a city in the sky. And Songbird himself went through a number of iterations.

Having said all that, it's pretty obvious that Songbird is a dimension X-version of Andrew Ryan.

More like Big Daddy.

It's also 1.30AM in the lighthouse, based on a clock on the second floor. The grandfather clock is broken

These is also a Columbia arrival/departure note on the wall, which says that at 1.40AM Columbia will depart St Louis, MO

So, am I in St Louis, MO?

Lol, I am never going to get through this second playthrough... as I am looking at (and over analyzing) everything.

you guys have it all wrong.. Ryan is the child that is almost shot by Fitzroy.

Not that I actually believe this but its cool that this game can make you analyze every detail.

DatDude

Banned
There's a scientifically themed graph or chart that shows when Elizabeth had her first period, that her power grew exponentially. And once her powers entered a certain threshold, no one could be in or work in monument island.

The time when anyone but Elizabeth was banned was almost immediately after she had her first period, which leads me to believe that Comstock was worried about Elizabeth getting attached to anyone that entered the tower, the girl hasn't had social interactions with a male or female ever, she could easily become infatuated with anyone that would give her the time of day.

Her getting pregnant would probably taint Comstock's reputation as being a pure and morally driven leader, not to mention he would have to deal with a plethora of potential problems that would arise.

It is interesting Elizabeth became much more powerful when she got the bodily functions of a woman.

Wow.

megalowho

It's also 1.30AM in the lighthouse, based on a clock on the second floor. The grandfather clock is broken

These is also a Columbia arrival/departure note on the wall, which says that at 1.40AM Columbia will depart St Louis, MO

So, am I in St Louis, MO?

Lol, I am never going to get through this second playthrough... as I am looking at (and over analyzing) everything.
I think you're at the point in Maine, not sure where I read that but I'll try to find it in writing.

Edit: Wikipedia :)

After beating it I was kind of sad to see the Elizabeth we knew dissappear from existance, but we end up with a new Booker timeline that didn't exist prior. One where not only did he refuse the baptism, but also has memories of the Elizabeth that never was (evident by him waking and rushing to check on Anna). I'd like to think he raises her to be the book smart, inquisitive woman he met.

After beating it I was kind of sad to see the Elizabeth we knew dissappear from existance, but we end up with a new Booker timeline that didn't exist prior. One where not only did he refuse the baptism, but also has memories of the Elizabeth that never was (evident by him waking and rushing to check on Anna). I'd like to think he raises her to be the book smart, inquisitive woman he met.

i swear to god Elizabeth was a love interest from the game's reveal...

and this happends. still works, though!

raphier

Banned

the only version where he can refuse the baptism(or become comstock) is the version where he refuses to pay the dept. Otherwise should be impossible. I think that really sucked. You could ask, in the version where he pays the "dept" then who was comstock? that comstock paid the dept too.

This has probably already been posted but I think I found who Booker Dewitt is named after:

Wikipedia:
The many-worlds interpretation is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that asserts the objective reality of the universal wavefunction and denies the actuality of wavefunction collapse. Many-worlds implies that all possible alternative histories and futures are real, each representing an actual "world" (or "universe"). It is also referred to as MWI, the relative state formulation, the Everett interpretation, the theory of the universal wavefunction, many-universes interpretation, or just many-worlds.

The original relative state formulation is due to Hugh Everett in 1957.[2][3] Later, this formulation was popularized and renamed many-worlds by Bryce Seligman DeWitt in the 1960s and 1970s.

Top Bottom