• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER Bioshock Infinite SPOILER discussion

tipoo

Banned
The ending was absolutely gorgeous, when you were on the first of the linked lighthouses and the notes of "will the circle be unbroken" started playing in the background that hit me right in the souls balls.

I think I have a fair understanding of the story now, I see a lot of people were confused by it but it makes sense to me. That choice he made at the baptism, that's where the fork in the two Bookers paths started, so by killing him before he makes that choice they kill off every possible Comstock because that fork is not available. By killing every possible Comstock, his baby was never taken and all this never had to happen, so his life was reset to that day he would have given her away.

It's a mostly happy ending, only sad in that all their interactions will be forgotten by her, and "Elizabeth" as we knew her would never exist since she would grow up differently, but that's also a good thing for her since she would never have been stuck in that tower all her life.

I want to know what happened to the male and female Letuces (and I don't say twins because I think they are the same character just born as a male in inverse A and female in Universe B).

Andrew.

Banned
Whats up with the "No, he doesnt row." line?

Was it because every incarnation of Booker that ventures up to the lighthouse never once rowed the boat? Like thats not meant ever for him to do?

The ending was absolutely gorgeous, when you were on the first of the linked lighthouses and the notes of "will the circle be unbroken" started playing in the background that hit me right in the souls balls.

I think I have a fair understanding of the story now, I see a lot of people were confused by it but it makes sense to me. That choice he made at the baptism, that's where the fork in the two Bookers paths started, so by killing him before he makes that choice they kill off every possible Comstock because that fork is not available. By killing every possible Comstock, his baby was never taken and all this never had to happen, so his life was reset to that day he would have given her away.

It's a mostly happy ending, only sad in that all their interactions will be forgotten by her, and "Elizabeth" as we knew her would never exist since she would grow up differently, but that's also a good thing for her since she would never have been stuck in that tower all her life.

I want to know what happened to the male and female Letuces (and I don't say twins because I think they are the same character just born as a male in inverse A and female in Universe B).

I believe female Letuce still exists. Lets just hope she doesn't fuck around with tears anymore. Or maybe she was only able to accomplish the discovery of tears in the comstock timeline. Either way, she's still out there.

And yes Andrew, he DOESN'T row is stated as a fact. They know all outcomes.

LiK

Whats up with the "No, he doesnt row." line?

Was it because every incarnation of Booker that ventures up to the lighthouse never once rowed the boat? Like thats not meant ever for him to do?
yea, that's what we've come to interpret with that line.

awa64

Banned
There's always a man, there's always a city, there's always a lighthouse.

...is that man Ken Levine? He is, ostensibly, the one with the "vision" for these cities. "Man" could refer to the player, but a designer presumably is playtesting their own game, PLUS the conclusion of the game--the reveal that Booker is Comstock--can be viewed as an argument that the player and the designer are interchangeable.

Plus, given the critique of how the game might have been served better narratively by not being a shooter, and Ken's relevant thoughts on the matter from interviews being "it's a shooter because I like skill-based gameplay," that certainly does lead to the idea that "it always ends in blood" for Booker not because it inherently has to but because he (Ken? Booker? The player?) chooses to.

Hrm.

Pein

Banned
I'm getting depressed knowing Elizabeth is gone. I sure would like a sequel with Anna.

I believe female Letuce still exists. Lets just hope she doesn't fuck around with tears anymore. Or maybe she was only able to accomplish the discovery of tears in the comstock timeline. Either way, she's still out there.

And yes Andrew, he DOESN'T row is stated as a fact. They know all outcomes.

Thanks for the clear up.

I'm getting depressed knowing Elizabeth is gone. I sure would like a sequel with Anna.

Honestly, I don't want a sequel at all. I'd rather a whole new iteration. Bioshock 2 did nothing great as a sequel to Bioshock. Some things are better just left alone.

megalowho

There's always a man, there's always a city, there's always a lighthouse.

...is that man Ken Levine? He is, ostensibly, the one with the "vision" for these cities. "Man" could refer to the player, but a designer presumably is playtesting their own game, PLUS the conclusion of the game--the reveal that Booker is Comstock--can be viewed as an argument that the player and the designer are interchangeable.
I interpreted it as the great person whose philosophy drives the isolated city, but those are interesting points to think about as well.

Pein

Banned
Honestly, I don't want a sequel at all. I'd rather a whole new iteration. Bioshock 2 did nothing great as a sequel to Bioshock. Some things are better just left alone.

Yeah I just liked Elizabeth as a character. Bioshock 2 had better gameplay than the first, I found it to be more fun.

Yeah I just liked Elizabeth as a character. Bioshock 2 had better gameplay than the first, I found it to be more fun.

I'll definitely agree that the gameplay of Bioshock 2 was better, but I was kind of sick of Rapture at that point. I had seen the apex of Rapture and experienced its glory, now it was time to move on. Bioshock 2 just felt like "More Rapture, this time as a Big Daddy!"

And I love Elizabeth, too. <3

Zeliard

Well, Bioshock 2 had much-improved combat and Minerva's Den represents some of the best that any Bioshock has to offer story-wise, but I generally agree. The story of Anna/Elizabeth is over, beyond ancillary things they may add in the DLC.

I just finished this so a couple of questions:

So what was the purpose of Columbia? Did Comstock found it? Why? Motivations?
Seems like they just dropped the whole racism/social commentary at some point.

What significance Rapture had?

What was the bombing of New York all about?

Was there a scene after credits? I skipped over them and it went straight to main menu.

Jesus I feel like most of the stuff flew over my head. I blame the crippling flu.

LiK

We all love Elizabeth but that Elizabeth is gone. Wiped out from existence when Comstock was erased too. If they made a sequel based on some of our theories, she would be a different character with no special powers.

Well, unless Levine goes nuts and makes the Luteces fuck up again.

Zeliard

The Luteces could viably be recurring characters in the Bioshock universe given their nature, if they're still floating around in space-time. I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they showed up in the next one, though it would probably be in more of a cameo capacity I imagine.

The Luteces could viably be recurring characters in the Bioshock universe given their nature, if they're still floating around in space-time. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they showed up in the next one, though it would probably be in more of a cameo capacity I imagine.

Exactly. Kind of like Rapture and its cameos in Infinite. Levine seems to like to make different stories, and finish them up in one go, which I commend him for. No cliffhanger endings! =D

Guri

How did you miss this?

Did you not finish the game?

Did the game crash after the airship fight?

Actually, I still thought he was screaming for his wife. I didn't consider for one moment that she was Liz. But, in my defense, I was also thinking a lot of things about the ending itself at the time.

The Luteces could viably be recurring characters in the Bioshock universe given their nature, if they're still floating around in space-time. I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they showed up in the next one, though it would probably be in more of a cameo capacity I imagine.

They could be like the G-man in Half-life. Pulling strings from the shadows, but not having much direct involvement in the story and only showing up in the background if you're looking for them.

Scarecrow

How did Comstock get to looking so old? According to the timeline, he should be just under 40, but he looks in his 70s or more.

Guevara

I wouldn't mind a 2K Marin sequel, Columbia is so awesome it'd be a shame to only visit it once.

I also think the gameplay could be much improved.

DigiMish

What I don't understand is how can Comstock and Booker be in the same universe at the same time?

Since Comstock is the baptized version of after-the-war Booker, and Booker is the un-baptized version of after-the-war Booker, it has to be one or the other.

Even in the beginning before Booker and Elizabeth started jumping between universes - Comstock existed at the same time as Booker - how is that possible?

What I don't understand is how can Comstock and Booker be in the same universe at the same time?

Since Comstock is the baptized version of after-the-war Booker, and Booker is the un-baptized version of after-the-war Booker, it has to be one or the other.

Even in the beginning before Booker and Elizabeth started jumping between universes - Comstock existed at the same time as Booker - how is that possible?

The Luteces pulled Booker to their universe to help stop Comstock. You see a glimpse of it at the end.

LiK

The Luteces pulled Booker to their universe to help stop Comstock. You see a glimpse of it at the end.
yup, the Luteces did that themselves. No wonder they looked so bored by the time we play the game. Probably so bored with doing that over 123 times

could they not just kill Booker them selves at the baptism? why do they need everything else to happen?

While the Luteces can travel between universes at will, they don't know much about Booker and his past. They just know that Elizabeth was his daughter and that Comstock wanted Booker's baby. Elizabeth is the only one with the power to "see" all of the universes, so she would know exactly where the catalyst took place. Not to mention influence all of the potential universes at once. The Luteces could have gone back and killed Booker at the baptism in one universe easily. But they would have to have done that over and over for the infinite amount there are.

At least, that's how I interpret it.

Finished the game a few says ago, this thread has been great at answereing all the questions i had. Thanks to you all :)

The above however is frekkin crazy, even watched another video just to make sure it wasnt IGN working with PR. LOVE stuff like this.

there is no way they planned that sound in 2007 to tie into infinite. IF.. it is indeed on purpose it was something that they decided to use a sound from rapture for the songbird death just to tie it all together.

I want to believe.

but I doubt it.

Someone boot up the first game and see if it does sound anything like Songbird. We must know.

While the Luteces can travel between universes at will, they don't know much about Booker and his past. They just know that Elizabeth was his daughter and that Comstock wanted Booker's baby. Elizabeth is the only one with the power to "see" all of the universes, so she would know exactly where the catalyst took place. Not to mention influence all of the potential universes at once.

that makes sense thank you!

on another note my friend just told me that he completely missed the guitar and unbroken circle hymn.

damn that moment was so special I would have hated to miss it.

I found potatos in the toilet... Hmmmm

booker-dimwittdfsjr.gif

I wish they made the songbird more of a threat. There is never any real gameplay with it where its your enemy. All of those sections are on rails or you aren't in control.

They hype it up to be a huge threat, but that hype never manifests into any real risk when playing.

Guevara

I wish they made the songbird more of a threat. There is never any real gameplay with it where its your enemy. All of those sections are on rails or you aren't in control.

They hype it up to be a huge threat, but that hype never manifests into any real risk when playing.

I actually kind of liked that. We expect Songbird to be this huge threat all the way through the game. In the end it's more of an ally. It's not just a Big Daddy with wings like I was expecting.

(Although they undercut that a bit by having the Handyman, which is basically just like a Big Daddy).

Zeliard

I can't imagine an actual combat encounter with Songbird would have been much fun, though. From a mechanical standpoint I doubt that fight could have been done in an interesting way.

Would have probably been visually amazing, though.

Guevara

Kind of interesting; there were a few gay propositions in the game. One guy in the beach said you'd look good in some tight swim trunks.

And a dude at the carnival said you looked like a strong sailor and "any port in a storm" lol.

Both were just random dialog if you walked up to NPCs.

Bioshock Infinite: Wherein food in the toilet is okay and people throw money away like it's nothing

Its normal than shanty town is poor with all the good looking food and money throwing done in the street and the people there not taking advantage of it lol
Its their problem of not being as smart (and grose) as Booker, if they did the same as him, they will have more money than Fink in no time.

I can't imagine an actual combat encounter with Songbird would have been much fun, though. From a mechanical standpoint I doubt that fight could have been done in an interesting way.

Would have probably been visually amazing, though.

Songbird is such a threat that a fight with it would have been unfeasible. It would have ripped Booker to shreds in about five seconds. I'm glad they didn't have one. It was much better being just an awesome, powerful manifestation.

Bioshock Infinite: Wherein food in the toilet is okay and people throw money away like it's nothing

They really need to look at how they handle resource gathering in the next game. Finding ammo and salts in trashcans is beyond goofy.

I'm halfway tempted to use a trainer on the next playthrough so I don't need to loot hundreds of containers over the course of the game again.

Top Bottom