• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER Bioshock Infinite SPOILER discussion

J0dy77

OP is exactly why we don't get more beautiful games like Bioshock. How can you make points 1 and 3 without finishing the game? It's called an imagination, unraveling a puzzle that all comes together at the end. Not having everything spoon fed to you in the same game I've played 1000 times. This is masterful storytelling.

Maybe this has been mentioned already, but I just realized that the theme song for the game is "Will the Circle be Unbroken?". At the end, after the credits roll, we see that one last scene that begs of the question of whether the circle, or cycle if you will, actually was unbroken. (Having been supposedly broken by Booker's death).

NZNova

During the Vox rebellion, when you have to disable the airship engines to stop it from attacking the choke point so your Vox friends can get through, so you can meet up with Daisy so you can... get Lady Comstock's airship... why not just steal the airship you already have and fly off with it instead of disabling the engines?

I just thought of something, maybe someone can explain. So before Booker enters the doorway leading to his death (Booker wanting to kill Comstock, yet not realizing he is Comstock), Elizabeth asks him if he's sure he wants to do this, which is basically a choice.

Doesn't that mean that there is a timeline Booker chooses not to go through with it, meaning there is a timeline with Elizabeth still existing then?

IronRinn

I absolutely loved this game and reading through this thread has been great, seeing people pointing out stuff I may have missed and while I don't have anything to add to the discussion (you guys are thorough) I did notice one thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned. Like many, I immediately started a new game and, while walking on the beach with Elizabeth, I got a bit of dialog that I didn't remember the first time. She asks him how old he is and he states "South of forty and north of you."

The only thing that doesn't quite make a ton of sense there is that Wounded Knee was in December of 1890 and Infinite takes place in 1912. I mean, I suppose he could have been 16-17 at the massacre, although I thought the insignia he had on the wall of his office put him around a Sergeant. I forget. I suppose that could be the case in 1890. Or maybe that was just his rank when he left the army. Hell, I guess he could have been lying about his age too.

Quoting and amending myself, if only for my own benefit and because I played through The Hall of Heroes last night. Booker was a 16 year old Corporal at Wounded Knee, making him 38 at the time of Infinite.

Quoting and amending myself, if only for my own benefit and because I played through The Hall of Heroes last night. Booker was a 16 year old Corporal at Wounded Knee, making him 38 at the time of Infinite.

I read that one, too in the Hall of Heroes and thought to myself "How can Comstock be born in the 1870s, yet look so old in 1912". :p

IronRinn

I read that one, too in the Hall of Heroes and thought to myself "How can Comstock be born in the 1870s, yet look so old in 1912. :p

Yeah. Like many things, they covered that base with a Vox recording from Rosalind Lutece theorizing that Comstock's proximity/use of her machine had prematurely aged him.

2. Did anyone else besides me pick up that Elizabeth was Dewitt's daughter REALLY EARLY in the game? Referring specifically to the scene where one of Comstock's female undercover commandos calls Elizabeth "Annabelle" (after the kid's arcade and before the train station ambush).

That was when I put it together that Comstock must have been an older Dewitt with player Dewitt being brought into a parallel universe

I did too. I foresaw she was related to him and that he was an alternate Comstock quite early too. Alternate Comstock theory came a bit after Liz=Anna=relative for me.
However I didn't know at the turnstile event that "Anna" was his daughter...because I thought "Anna" was his wife at that point >_<

That said, I was still blown away by the ending even while having guessed the main plot lines.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Not sure I understand the ending or the reveal... But really disappointed in all the stuff they apparently cut, they really scaled back the ambition/vision from the original interviews and trailers. Probably to suit money and time constraints. Remember the original trailers had dozens of enemies coming after you, almost reminds me of the fist RE5 trailer with tons of enemies all around...then the game shipped and scaled everything back.

My peeves are, and hopes for DLC.
-FOV fix
-Stuttering fix for older machines
-Ability to pick up and equip the wrench and dual melee (with old school Wrench Jocky 1/2)
-Add one more upgrade slot to each vigor. Return to Sender's extra slot should be Telekinesis.
-Ability to equip two or three pieces of Gear on each slot, to really build your character.
-Manual save option
-More story and quest add-ons
-More locked chests and secret Vox codes
-5 or 6 more hidden Infusion bottles so you can totally max out everything (Heath, Shield, Salts).
-Finally, A NEW GAME PLUS MODE!!!

Edit: And the game had almost none of the spooky/scary atmosphere of Rapture, certainly nothing on the level of Fort Frolic...

Nicktock

Neo Member
Boys of Silence were by far my favorite type of enemy since they were revealed. That being said, I like the msitery of their creation. It was because of Old Elizabeth, but what happened to her at that time is a mistery to everyone, except for some audio diaries. I like that because it makes the story more real. You can't always be everywhere.

About Songbird... I don't know, man, I think it was answered already: he was created to defend Elizabeth, inspired by something that his creator saw on a tear.

That's not a whole lot when you think about it. Who's in there? How did that happen? Why do they care so much about Elizabeth?

Also, is there any indication that the Luteces have the ability to open tears (Luetece Fields) without their machine? The more I think about, I don't think that was mentioned, other than we just assume that's what they did to get Booker in Comstock's world. That part seems odd to me.

sn00zer

Funny thing is
I figured out Booker was Comstock very early on. I was in a random NPC's place and she was speaking to the police describing how Booker looked, and the cop was drawing the sketch, the sketch was basically Comstock.

I thought it looked a lot like andrew ryan and the joke was basically that it didnt look like booker

Harlock

One time I died and Elizabeth seems to open a door to bring back to life. Is possible every time you die she opens a door to other dimension to bring you back?

sonicmj1

I thought it looked a lot like andrew ryan and the joke was basically that it didnt look like booker

When I saw it, I thought, "There's no way Booker has such stupid facial hair!" and I hit the portrait with my skyhook a few times.

Then I looked at the photo on the loading screen and it seems like he did have that thin mustache. That made me sad.

Duffyside

Banned
I think Comstock was "killed in his crib," but not Booker. I think at the end "Lighthouses sequence" of the game, Booker was taken to the baptism by Elizabeth twice for a very specific reason pertaining to the one binary choice which determines Comstock's existence. It was the place where Comstock was born, but only in one branch out of two. So the first visit was the Booker path, in which he refused the baptism and lived, and the second visit was the Comstock branch, where he was killed. Thus, Booker realities continue, but not Comstock realities.

That's why I think Anna's back in her crib at the end. I don't buy into all this infinite loop, none-of-it-matters, you-can't-change-anything stuff. I think Elizabeth did find a way to fix things and make sure Comstock never exists, but she and her dad do.

Reposting and further explaining this. A week later and I still think I'm right.

mannerbot

Reposting and further explaining this. A week later and I still think I'm right.

Comstock is killed at the root when Elizabeth drowns Booker DeWitt before the baptism at Wounded Knee. Now that it's impossible for Comstock to exist in any universe, Elizabeth, too, no longer exists and so she cannot drown Booker at this baptism. As a result, Booker DeWitt is free to live his life as it is when he rejects the baptism (which is the choice he always makes now as accepting the baptism leads to the impossible result of Elizabeth killing him before he is baptised), but without the option of selling Anna to Comstock/Lutece to wipe away his debt.

As an aside, the ending seems rather melancholy to me as Elizabeth, rather than being raised as a captive and religious instrument for her father's fanatical desires, is now raised as the child of an alcoholic, depressed, single father who's drowned in debt and would sell her to erase it. Not sure that this is an improvement.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
For those that are interested, I've 'remastered' my Booker/Elizabeth/Lutece music video in 1080p and it's now available on YouTube at the link below:

http://youtu.be/ebIM4j0_Sqw

It's worth changing the stream to 1080p, it looks significantly better at a decent resolution.

I went back through every scene and removed HUD elements from cuts, fixed a lot of keyframes in transitions, re-recorded some cut scenes from the game, polished up a lot of the timing and added some new footage.

The sequence of the video has changed slightly, so I'll leave the original up for those that prefer that version.

Quick question: Do you guys have any ideas on who the man with the sack over his head is in the lighthouse at the beginning of the game?

Just finished.

.... That was.... Wow. I need some time to reflect on this.

I just finished as well. Although I think I had most everything figured out about 3/4 of the way through, it was still really satisfying when it all came together. Regardless, my productivity at work is going to go to 0% tomorrow as I read through 72+ pages of this thread.

So since I'm tired, partially drunk, and need to be up early for work... could someone answer me one quick question?

Was there any significance to the broach that you pick for Elizabeth early in the game (I picked the bird)? That was my one lingering thought throughout the game.

I just finished as well. Although I think I had most everything figured out about 3/4 of the way through, it was still really satisfying when it all came together. Regardless, my productivity at work is going to go to 0% tomorrow as I read through 72+ pages of this thread.

I started to suspect that Booker and Comstock were one in the same during some of Comstock's taunts on the airship. Still, I was not prepared for everything that followed.

I started to suspect that Booker and Comstock were one in the same during some of Comstock's taunts on the airship. Still, I was not prepared for everything that followed.

That's more or less where I was at. I was pretty convinced that Booker/Comstock were one in the same, and I had vague ideas why, but I was still taken aback by the conclusion.

Con_Smith

Banned
So I just found out that the ending of Bioshock Infinite actually does happen during the original Bioshock. Either that or Ken Levine loves reusing random background audio.

Top Bottom