• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER Bioshock Infinite SPOILER discussion

TheOddOne

Daisy Fitzroy holding a gun to the kid's head makes much more sense now, fits the "killing the roots" theme thats all over the game.

Yes, this story is ultimately the Lucetes trying to right a wrong. In the ending they describe Booker as their 'hairshirt.' A 'hairshirt' is an item of redemption or atonement someone wears.

By finally figuring out a way to destroy Comstock they reset everything so they don't basically fuck the world over.

But the two of them existing in the same universe still fucks with the universe.

You should read that big analysis someone wrote on reddit, because you seem to not grasp even the most basic concepts surrounding the ending.

She brings you to Rapture to drown Songbird, but also to show you the limitless potential of differences between universes.

Give me the link?

Vitor711

what do you mean 'the music thing?'. i can't imagine anyone would've heard the barbershop quartet cover at the beginning of the game & then come up with the idea that this music is being written by a man 'inspired' by portals through other dimensions.

another question: lady comstock keeps talking about sin & that comstock was the only one who could forgive her. is that elaborated on at all, or is it just in the general 'we're all sinners' sense?

Not overtly but I guess it has something to do with Comstock seeing a bit of himself in her. Despite being twisted by power, he might actually believe a lot of what he says. And, if so, then he must hope for redemption in the end too. And if he of all people can be saved, so can she.

Later audiologs describe that Lady Comstock was far from a fair-weather soul herself which might account for some level of the attraction.

But the two of them existing in the same universe still fucks with the universe.

No it doesn't. By erasing the Comstock universes the botched murder attempt never happens and they never become trapped in the timeline.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of the after credits scene, wasn't Booker in the rejection timeline woken up by the male Lutece knocking on the door looking for Elizabeth? Could this be seen as confirmation that the circle is broken (since he was able to wake up naturally)? I can't remember how the flashback sequence in which Booker gives up the child opened.

"The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist." It is funny, I saw a bunch of people saying they picked heads or tails and I was like "huh, there was no choice". Booker always picks tails, and it always lands heads, just as the raffle draw will always be 77.

Also, every time Liz tosses you a coin, Booker catches it same-side up. I just can't tell which side it is =\

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/594747728569714320/6FE5FB0630C2FC15A2FD19FC66E7E6FDAFE1149E/

In my second playthrough in 1999 mode I distinctly remember him picking heads :)

Anyone else on their second playthrough - did he pick heads for you? Don't tell me I'm going crazy.

Acosta

I stood there for 5 minutes, refusing to do it. I knew nothing was going to happen, I have to give it regardless but that sense of not giving her up felt oddly compelling. Was the hardest part of the game for me.

I stood there 15 minutes, I refused to accept that was the only option, I thought Levine was fucking with us "doing what we were told to do". Then I waited 10 minutes with Anna in arms before surrender.

Damn, the whole ending was so sad, Elizabeth mix between sadness and absolute confidence on what was going on was devastating. I wanted to see her in Paris :(

Acosta

Do they ever explain what the Songbird actually was?

I know that Fink created it somehow, but its kinda vague.

Fink explain he saw it in one of the tears: "a mix between man and bird, with the best and worst of both, the process to create it is irreversible".

edit: What was the point of "draining" Elizabeth again?

She says that when she was younger she could create tears to where ever she wanted in the world, but always went back home. A child would. Presumably Comstock wanted to control this power because as she got older she would want to escape, as any growing person would. If she could create any tear she wanted, she'd never be able to be held. Basically, it was a limiter on her powers.

That's why she can only create certain tears and certain things in certain places. When you order Songbird to destroy and rip down the remnants of the tower, the shackles on her powers are finally removed. You see it, if you watch that scene - she does the very cliché looking at her hands as she realizes her own power - and in the next moment transports the three of them to Rapture. From then on she's the super god who can see anything and everything and knows all. That's why they drained her, to stop her from becoming that - though I doubt even Comstock knew the extent of her powers, just that he wanted to stop her escaping.

dan2026

Fink explain he saw it in one of the tears: "a mix between man and bird, with the best and worst of both, the process to create it is irreversible".

Yeah I assumed there was a man inside that thing. The sheer level of technology in the Bioshock universe continues to be baffling.

Also it just occurs to be, has Elizabeth committed suicide by killing Dewitt?

It also creates a paradox, as if she never existed, who killed him?

Lulubop

It's funny, I thought Charge was wildly overpowered. Upgraded Charge instantly refills your shields. Any time my shields got low I would just charge into a dude. Handymen where stupid easy. Just charge and Shotgun them over and over again. Same with the Ghost fights.

Yea, I'm pretty sure upgraded charge with right gear is kinda broken. It made the game really easy when I realized this. High damage, AoE, invincibility, recovery. I had the gear that gave you a 40 percent chance at recovering salt upon killing an enemy.

Played on hard I should add.

Do they ever explain what the Songbird actually was?

I know that Fink created it somehow, but its kinda vague.

We know it's a creation by Fink, the specifications obtained by looking through a tear (not necessarily to Rapture, it could have been a tear to any universe) and seems to be a combination of man and machine. That's all we definitively know.

Some believe that an alternate Booker is the Songbird but personally I feel this makes the timeline far too complex and it becomes infinitely more convoluted even though it may fit in with "Booker doing anything to protect Elizabeth/Anna". Why the Songbird is so attached to Anna is probably similar to the mind conditioning that the Big Daddies were put through (maybe that's exactly what it was, or maybe a similar technology in another universe, ultimately it doesn't matter) or, if you subscribe to the theory that the Songbird is Booker, it's simply out of love for her.

Yeah I assumed there was a man inside that thing. The sheer level of technology in the Bioshock universe continues to be baffling.

Also it just occurs to be, has Elizabeth committed suicide by killing Dewitt?

It also creates a paradox, as if she never existed, who killed him?

This is why I believe the timeline reset worked. It would be a paradox which means it cannot occur. This means the Comstock universe cannot occur and the only choice Booker can make at the baptism becomes rejecting it, otherwise he'll create a paradox where the choice cancels itself out. So 'Elizabeth' in her current state would cease to exist while Anna would exist EDIT: To elaborate further, Elizabeth's existence requires being stolen by the Lutece's after being asked by Comstock. Without Comstock Elizabeth can never be stolen so her existence becomes a paradox.

SiskoKid

No it doesn't. By erasing the Comstock universes the botched murder attempt never happens and they never become trapped in the timeline.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of the after credits scene, wasn't Booker in the rejection timeline woken up by the male Lutece knocking on the door looking for Elizabeth? Could this be seen as confirmation that the circle is broken (since he was able to wake up naturally)? I can't remember how the flashback sequence in which Booker gives up the child opened.

Yes, Elizabeth states in the ending, "I can see ALL the doors and what's behind all the doors. And behind ONE OF THEM, I see him." Him being Comstock. She continues later and says, "It will only be over when he never even lived in the first place."

I think it's clear the ending means they broke the cycle. Booker does have his Anna in the end. Comstock never exists in any possibility space but neither does Elizabeth. Lucete and her 'twin' probably still exist but not together. But since she is a scientist that's not to say she never finds him some other way.

I'd actually like to see the Lucete twins return in other BioShock universes.

SiskoKid

Wait.. so whats the theory on how the twins opened a rift without elizabeth to steal Elizabeth?

When Elizabeth(s) kill Comstock, they kill the root of all possibility spaces with Comstock. Meaning Comstock never exists in any possibility space to hire on Lucete to create the city. Meaning Elizabeth never exists either.

BUT Lucete didn't need Elizabeth to open tears in space/time. She was already a scientist creating those types of experiments. Elizabeth just happened to become something of an anomaly coming through the tear because a piece of her existed in two separate space/time spaces. So she somehow got the powers to create tears herself. That kind of power was then harnessed to create more technologies and power the city and Comstock's dreams.

dan2026

What on earth was the crazy asylum all about as well?
All the patients wearing masks and those bizarre megaphone helmeted things.

Was it just creepy for the sake of being creepy?

uhh what, elizabeth wasnt the reason tears exist... she just had a power to use them.

Lutece originally discovered them and it led to the technology to create the city iirc

Was this explained in an audio log? Must have missed it.

What on earth was the crazy asylum all about as well?
All the patients wearing masks and those bizarre megaphone helmeted things.

Was it just creepy for the sake of being creepy?

Good question. I think he was just a guard who used mind control on the patients there.

Visceir

In the original gameplay demo video Comstock looks completely different and obviously doesn't support current game's story. I wonder how much the story changed and what the original story was like...
iH1zYAsR2EnN1.jpg

Darklord

Banned
I just finished it.

So...Comstock is you but from another reality where you get Baptized? Did it really explain why Elizabeth had powers? What was the after credit bit then? He dies, Elizabeth vanishes, it rolls back to DeWitt and baby Anna before it all happened? This all reminds me of Looper or The Witcher.

I just finished it.

So...Comstock is you but from another reality where you get Baptized? Did it really explain why Elizabeth had powers? What was the after credit bit then? He dies, Elizabeth vanishes, it rolls back to DeWitt and baby Anna before it all happened? This all reminds me of Looper or The Witcher.

The consensus is that Elizabeth losing her pinky is what gave her the powers, which parts of her being present in two separate universes.

Tokubetsu

I just finished it.

No, YOU'RE from another reality. The Lutece's bring you there to stop a version of you that was baptized and created Colombia (helping to facilitate all these tears etc etc). Elizabeth had powers because she was existing in two places at once (her finger), she was tied to multiple places because of this. This is sorta what happens to the luteces after their machine is sabotaged by fink (They're scattered).

dan2026

And the moral of the story is...don't get baptized as you will probably turn into a religious nutjob and rule a giant sky city as a tyrant, while using your own daughter as some sort of giant living temporal battery.

In the original gameplay demo video Comstock looks completely different and obviously doesn't support current game's story. I wonder how much the story changed and what the original story was like...
iH1zYAsR2EnN1.jpg

Yeah, an in-depth post mortem on this game will be fascinating. I'd love to know what changed, script-wise.

In that same gameplay video, they're going to Comstock House seemingly early on in the adventure to ask for his help.

Darklord

Banned
No, YOU'RE from another reality. The Lutece's bring you there to stop a version of you that was baptized and created Colombia (helping to facilitate all these tears etc etc). Elizabeth had powers because she was existing in two places at once (her finger), she was tied to multiple places because of this. This is sorta what happens to the luteces after their machine is sabotaged by fink (They're scattered).

bPNbC1n.gif

Ok with Infinite the first BioShock becomes even better. And now every single setting is open to a nextgen bio. Do you guys think rapture was created in a similar way? Oh, man everything should be possible. :> Great game.

Darklord

Banned
Saw this on Reddit. God damn.

Something you guys missed in all of these, admittedly awesome, analyses there were 122 coin flips on the tally board. The twins said "Maybe next time" knowing that this world may also lead to ruin and need a second attempt. Each attempt was Booker. Also, when you rang the bells, the combo was 1, 2, 2. These all imply the game takes place primarily during the 122nd series of events orchestrated by the twins' experiments as a response to Booker/Comstock's actions. this is further emphasized in the very beginning, on the rowboat. Think about the discussion. Male Lucete: "He doesn't row." Female Lucete: "What do you mean 'he doesn't ROW?'" Male: "No, he DOESN'T row!" Female: "Ah, i see." This implies that they weren't discussing Booker's ability or willingness to row, but the fact that in all past attempts, Booker didn't row. he was simply commenting on what they'd seen in, basically, a pre-written story.

beastmode

iH1zYAsR2EnN1.jpg
I think in an interview Levine said that Comstock was just a politician who came to power in Columbia as a reaction to growing proto-Vox sympathies.

SiskoKid

I actually think this is one of the few (maybe only?) multiverse stories I've experienced where it really ties it all together really tightly. The game does a great job at explaining all the questions if you take time to find the answers.

There are a couple guesses here and there but ultimately, I think this game does a fantastic job at keeping things actually explained as opposed to using the "Lost" method and pretending it's just some deep shit when the writers just didn't know what to write. Which I find ultimately more fulfilling. I connect with the characters and world more, and now I wanna see more of them especially the Lutece twins. I am curious what the DLC will be like!

Top Bottom