• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Dangan Ronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (1PT)
Started playing Friday December 12th 2014 3:04 PM
Finished playing Monday December 15th 2014 10:53 PM
Playtime: 36:58:21
Monocoins: 496
Number of times saved: 187

Yes...I love this series.

Only enter the spoiler thread when you are done with the game. All spoilers are untagged here. Spoiler tag your impressions until then in the main thread ( here )
i knew that, I just wanted to post my crazy speculation and didn't wanna bother with the non spoiler thread since I didn't plan on posting again.

Which of course turned out to be completely wrong.

Halfway through Chapter 2, I pretty much knew most characters were new, then felt bad that I thought there would be some twistlike that, that they were old characters, and that I wasn't thinking of them as their own characters. I accepted in Mid Chapter 2 that it was all new characters except for Peko/Kyoko and Akane/Swimmer...but of course there was in fact no returning characters in the students. I was really shocked by this, Peko was looked reusing Kyoko's poses and her face matched and her hair looked like a wig, while Akane seemed like swimmer girl (can never remember names) after Sakura's death, was trying to be like Sakura. I believed that until the final case lol.

Interesting having everyone be the villains. I hope to someday know what hapoens with the coma people and if anyone fell back into despair. Was really hoping that Junko wouldn't be the main villain in some way, and never really expected it, but the way it was done was fantastic imo. And I can't believe I liked the way they did the VR, but always hate stuff like that. Makes you question if the entire game's universe is a VR. I don't think they'd ever go down that road, but the idea of stuff like that and erasing memories is frightening.

I thought Gamer Girl was Usami all along but thought she was spacing out to control her with a secret controller in her pockets or something. Turns out they are just two seperate characters.

Thought Sonia would somehow be the mastermind, the way she kept referencing her Country and the way she knew all Japanese stuff (since I assume they aren't pulling a Ace Attorney and in the NA version all characters are from Japan) madd me think her Country was made up. (I mean its pribably made up in real life, but also thought it was made up ingame.)

My favorite characters were: Game Girl, Dancer Girl, Sonia, Dunham, and Yakuza Guy. But I really liked all characters, I mean atleast their good counterparts. Even Nagito.

Can't wait for AE and hopefully a DR3 to hit NA. This has quickly gotten to be one of my favorite series of all time so quickly since getting the first game in September. Now I need to try and 100% them both...I don't even get exacly how AE plays, I will go in completely blind in that respect haha.

Decided to play through the two DRs on PSTV w/ my mom watching and participating (she played 999 and AA, but I figured she would find the gameplay too annoying). We intermittently did voices (who we all picked on our own). My voices are Hina, Toko, and Makoto, and hers are Kyoko, Hiro, Byakuya, and Monokuma right now. We're just in the last trial, and going to finish tonight. Happy that she's engaged in the story. :v

Also, totes voting both DRs in the top two for my GotY (DR2 > DR1).

Just ended the game and although the virtual simulation thing was hinted troughout the game, the fact that DR2's cast are actually criminal scum who sided with Junko was mindblowing to me.

As expected, the game is great. This is already one of my favorite franchises. :)

Some notes:

1. Nagito was a great character and kinda stoles the show... I have mixed feelings about him.

2. Hajime wasn't that interesting... I felt myself more keen to Makoto than to him. Actually I was pretty happy to see Makoto in the final trial along wth Byakuya and Kyoko. Hina and Toko was missed. :(

3. The cases were more unpredictable than in DR1 and also more unbelievable, but that's okay for a game like this.

4. In the beginning I hated Hiyoko, but I started to get a liking to her since she was smart enough to not act stupid during the trials like other characters who were completely dumb and annoying like Akane. And she tries to become a better person during the game.

5. I hated Mikan but in the chapter 3 I started to respect her as she was nursering everyone but after the truth, she is probably the worst along with Teruteru.

6. The cast is amazing, but I was disappointed in the end as from the 5 survivors, I only liked Sonia. Gundham, Ibuki, Mahiru, Chiaki, Nagito, Hiyoko and even "Byakuya" would be better for me.

7. I can totally see Mikan (historical of abuse, messed up), Teruteru (sexual perverted), Nagito (mental instability, messed up), Hiyoko (inherently evil), Gundham (fascinated with dark themes), Sonia (fascinated with occultism and criminals), Fuyuhiko (he is already a Yakuza), Peko (she follows her master) and "Byakuya" (being the ultimate impostor) becoming Ultimate Despair... but Nekomaru, Akane, Kazuichi , Mahiru and Ibuki don't look like the types that can become criminals.. well, Junko must be really good.

8. Chiaki is great, it's bittersweet though that she actually doesn't exist as a person. She is probably the best romantic pair for Hajime. :(

9. Junko is a great villain. Somehow, I want to see more of her in the sequels.

But I don't know if some of what I said here is explained in other media or in other game modes.

So I just finished this and the last chapter blew my fucking mind. I did not see any of that coming. Reminded me of when I played MGS2 for the first time all those years ago, except here it was presented in a coherent manner. Great stuff.
I was surprised by how much closure the ending gave us, kinda expected a cliffhanger like in the first game.
Anyway, it's worth owning a Vita just for these 2 games.

Edit: weird that we didn't even catch a glimpse of Toko and Hina though. ^I'm guessing AE sheds some light on that?

Droplet

What was up with Sonia suddenly swearing and being attached to Gundham? I don't seem to recall her doing this before and all of a sudden in Chapter 4 she's all over him and swearing like a sailor.

I thought she'd somehow gotten her memories back and I would have to use her swearing as evidence somewhere, but nope.

FluxWaveZ

Apropos of nothing: I've always kind of dismissed the idea of a Danganronpa fighting game because of its foundation in a grounded world with characters who don't fight, so I tried to think more about it, and I think I'm of the opinion that it could work, now. Not specific movesets (someone already covered that), but I thought of some archetypes and general playstyles to apply to certain characters:

Junko Enoshima (Puppet character)
Junko herself relies on zoning and keeping the opponent away with a variety of traps (e.g. spike trap, neck shackle), while she simultaneously controls her puppet Monokuma, who is most effective up close to the opponent and who strikes with claw and cartoonish attacks.

[See: Ken & Koromaru from P4AU, Rocket Raccoon from UMvC3]

Makoto Naegi (turtle/runaway, power up character)
"Attacks" by flailing and generally being oblivious as to how to fight (e.g. tripping, trying to kick only for his shoe to fly off as a projectile that needs to be picked up to use again). Relies on gaining "Truth Bullets", switching between them and launching them at the opponent to various effect, mainly to keep them away. The character's goal is to achieve the "Closing Argument" state, in which his unconventional attacks becoming very powerful nad is overall strengthened.

[See: Phoenix Wright from UMvC3, Zappa from GG]

Mukuro Ikusaba (resource, rushdown/mixup character)
Uses a knife and firearms to attack. Extremely agile and relies on getting close to her opponents for her offense, but with short range. She has good zoning tools through firearms/explosives that she can use to help her approach, but they have a limited number of uses.

[See: Chris from UMvC3, Eltnum from UNIB, Elphelt from GGXrd]

Leon Kuwata (all-around, power up character)
Just copy Junpei from Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. Like, it's already all there, with baseball mechanics, baseball related moves and everything. Just don't make him look like he's flailing as much, and give him firebaseball throw moves.

[See: Junpei from P4AU]

Sakura Oogami (half-grappler, high damage output character)
A hard hitting character with fast and long ranged normals using martial art stuff, but low mobility. Has grapple moves that do crazy stuff. Probably the most straightorward implementation there could be in a Danganronpa fighting game.

[See: Waldstein from UNIB, Abel from SF4, Bullet from BBCP]

Toko Fukawa/Genocide Jack (stance character)
Toko is the base mode for this character, who relies on crude fighting tactics such as pushing, slapping, lunging and biting, and spitting at the opponent. She has a dedicated Genocide Jack meter she can activate which turns her into Genocide Jill. While in this mode, the meter depletes, and her attacks completely change into wild scissor weilding strikes, while her mobility increases significantly. She cannot manually revert into Toko once this is activated until the meter depletes, in which case she will sneeze and be dazed (leaving her temporarily vulnerable).

[See: Valkenhayn from BB, Adachi from P4AU, Seth from UNIB]

Peko Pekoyama (long range, all-around character)
Relies on long range, precise sword strikes for her offense. Can put on the Sparkling Justice mask as a taunt? I dunno. The second really straightforward implementation of a character in a theoretical Danganronpa fighting game.

[See: Yuzuriha from UNIB, Jin BB]

Nekomaru Nidai (grappler)
The typical slow movement grappler who relies on getting close to his opponent and giving "it" to them. Would be pretty basic, unless he were to transform into Mechamaru before the fight and do robot stuff.

[See: Zangief from SF4, Kanji from P4A]

Gundham Tanaka (mixup, semi-puppet character)
Coordinating attacks with his "Four Dark Devas of Destruction" (who operate as one), he mixes up the opponent and, in neutral, protects his allies while his hamsters protect him, covering both of their weak points. Uses arcane magic for his main offensive abilities. Actually has his hamsters transform into demon looking creatures for some moves.

[See: Chaos from UNIB, Relius from BB]

What do you think? Sorry if they're bad, though I do really like the idea for Junko (it's the first one I came up with, and it's what made me think "Huh, maybe a DR FG wouldn't be so bad"). I do think that, to cover up certain larger than life elements (or enable them), the premise would have to be something silly like the casts got trapped into the "Neo World Program" somehow, but discovered exploits to let them manipulate it, or something. Something like that would make me feel a bit better about some of its absurdities, and leave room for stuff like Chiaki in a mech suit, Gundham using arcane magic or Kazuichi manipulating crazy machines (though that wouldn't be too supernatural).

PK Gaming

latest

Rockin movesets dude. It's been said before, but there really, really, really, really, really, REALLY needs to be a DanganRonpa fighting game one day. Ahh... hopefully the 3rd game will blow up and cause DR to turn into the next Persona.

My good bro Scrafty made movelists for the DR1 & DR2 characters too, if anyone wants to see more of hypothetical DR movesets.

FluxWaveZ

Ahh... hopefully the 3rd game will blow up and cause DR to turn into the next Persona.

DR certainly seems to share similarities with Persona in terms of growing interest, though it'll unfortunately probably never really make it that big while the series is constrained to the Vita as its primary platform.

Finished the game after a 3 month hiatus. Fucking Nagito. This guy. This fucking guy. Everyone is a psychopath and he was secretly the good guy except if he killed everyone Junko wouldn't have had any opposition and taken over the world. WAT? This whole thing was a computer simulation. Giant Junko, Junko in a cell phone, Dennis the Menace Junko. AAAAAAA

The game went super saiyan from chapter 4+ them Hajime literally goes super saiyan during the last trial. WAT?

I don't even

Hold me, gaf

jobrro

Just finished this game - had a DR 1+2 marathon starting 8 or 9 days ago after buying the titles a couple months ago digitally in sales.

Was hit more by some of the deaths in 2 than the first one. Kinda went into the game like I go into The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones - knowing characters are going to die left and right so tried not to get too attached but still managed to favourite some of them. None of the characters in the first game that died were really my favourites, but losing Ibuki and Chiaki sucked in the DR2 (for me, not saying the game did anything wrong killing them).

Main disappoinment at the end of DR2 was not seeing the cast after they woke up (besides Hajime) after learning about some of the things they have done to themselves (replacing body parts, starving themselves etc.). Read a bit of the start of the thread where there was some fanfiction and speculation they would be in DR: Another Episode, but haven't looked into it to deeply yet. Maybe in DR 3 in any case. DR 1 ended pretty open endedly too, and if I didn't have DR2 to jump into shortly after I probably would have had more questions about that.

Shouta

Finished DR2 a few nights ago after doing DR1 like two weeks ago or so. I ended up really liking it despite the gameplay additions being pretty mediocre outside of the Agree/Consent addition. Logic Dive was awful but the Rebuttal Showdown was OK, so that kind of evened out.

Overall story was good and I liked the characters, probably more so than the cast of DR1 as a whole. I figured out who ended up being the victim before in the chapter so I ended up maxing them out just before then which helped get the characterization for them in before they kicked the bucket. I think the only characters I didn't like were Hiyoko and Nagito,

The twist at the end needed to be foreshadowed better in the game though I ended up figuring out the Chiaki twist really early by maxing out Chiaki in FTE events first, lol I'd love to see a follow-up and I'd like to see them restore everyone that was comatose but probably unlikely, heh.

I ended up liking IF because I wanted to see Mukuro more and I was quite pleased with it overall. I actually think it could be used as an alternate resolution to the first game if they ever wanted to retcon it. DR2 already has a contradiction in it based on what we saw from the first game, they said that folks did various things with Junko's body after she died but w clearly see she's crushed to death in the first game. Obviously, we could just say she survived because she survived the other things but I like the idea that it's not the canon ending anymore, heh.

LX_Theo

Banned
Finished DR2 a few nights ago after doing DR1 like two weeks ago or so. I ended up really liking it despite the gameplay additions being pretty mediocre outside of the Agree/Consent addition. Logic Dive was awful but the Rebuttal Showdown was OK, so that kind of evened out.

Overall story was good and I liked the characters, probably more so than the cast of DR1 as a whole. I figured out who ended up being the victim before in the chapter so I ended up maxing them out just before then which helped get the characterization for them in before they kicked the bucket. I think the only characters I didn't like were Hiyoko and Nagito,

The twist at the end needed to be foreshadowed better in the game though I ended up figuring out the Chiaki twist really early by maxing out Chiaki in FTE events first, lol I'd love to see a follow-up and I'd like to see them restore everyone that was comatose but probably unlikely, heh.

I ended up liking IF because I wanted to see Mukuro more and I was quite pleased with it overall. I actually think it could be used as an alternate resolution to the first game if they ever wanted to retcon it. DR2 already has a contradiction in it based on what we saw from the first game, they said that folks did various things with Junko's body after she died but w clearly see she's crushed to death in the first game. Obviously, we could just say she survived because she survived the other things but I like the idea that it's not the canon ending anymore, heh.

Not really. At least in the first game, consider the executions visual hyperboles for storytelling purposes.

Shouta

Not really. At least in the first game, consider the executions visual hyperboles for storytelling purposes.

Eh, I'd like to think human butter actually happened! Then again, what would you put in the biolab for him...

But like the only one that's totally hyperbole is Mondo's. Everyone else more or less works.

Eh, I'd like to think human butter actually happened! Then again, what would you put in the biolab for him...

But like the only one that's totally hyperbole is Mondo's. Everyone else more or less works.
I swear there was an interview somewhere where they said they all really happened, even mondo butter

I swear there was an interview somewhere where they said they all really happened, even mondo butter

That just makes it a flat out plot hole then considering what happened to Junko's body. The Mondo butter, as strange as it is putting an empty container made out of the dude's skin in the capsule, is not something I'd put past Junko.

Shouta

Wouldn't surprise me if they were supposed to happen. It would be a big hole for them to happen and Junko wasn't pulverized to tiny bits. Or if she went, in fact, went down the chute and survived them.

I pretty much like the entire cast of DR2 except for Nagito, Hiyoko, and Teruteru. If I only had to choose one or two. Mahiru for the girls and probably Nekomaru for the boys. I'd really like to see Peko with her hair down but not slicked back lol.

Shouta

Well, they have to turn something into butter and if it's just skin, then those executions happened and Junko's becomes a plothole. If she survived it to die later then that's a plothole too. So either it happened or it's all hyperbole lol.

Though didn't they or make observations about them in the first game? I recall then mentioning Leon's at least and Celeste

cyba89

Just finished this game. That last chapter was really crazy and messed up.

One thing I did not really get was this whole Byakuya Impostor thing. Is there any hint about who the Ultimate Impostor actually was? And why did he chose the appearance of Byakuya?

Top Bottom