• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] IGN - FF XV’s Story Takes Place Over [SPOILERS] Years [SPOILERS] SPOILERS

sappyday

Because the conclusion/final arc is pants on head stupid. From what 4Chan has said.

Is it?

Sounds your typical

final boss is defeated. But of course lets judge a 50 hour game based on a couple of bullet points that sound like your average final fantasy

All of them.

I just hope we get a decent amount of time with them being that age to see how they've grown.

Agreed - would be great if the second half of the game is old(er) Noctis as King dealing with whatever the ramifications of the first half are.

Well, that's obviously irrelevant now that I know the game takes place over 10 years.

I'm just saying there's bound to be further discussion related to the story in here and its probably only a matter of time before something else gets posted. Like I am scared to even talk about the game now because I honestly have no idea what people consider a spoiler. I didnt think this thread title was one

Ludens

Banned
Literally not a news, considering it was in the opening of the 50 minutes gameplay video. I guess since November is pretty much three months away we'll see a lot of stuff like this, the hype machine needs to be powered.

Peff

A FFXV programmer and Tabata himself confirmed that the leaks out there weren't entirely true.

What else could they possibly say? "Oh, yeah, the entire story is basically out there for everyone to read. See you when we release the game in a few months!"

Pro tip: Don't enter a thread about a game you wish to stay in the dark on

I seriously am struggling to understand why people are upset. Didn't we know MGSV took place over 10 years or so? Was that considered a spoiler too?

"Don't enter a thread you wish to stay in the dark on"

...It's the damn title of the thread. How are we supposed to avoid glancing at that.

I also love all of the snarky quips about it being in the intro. "how did people avoiding the game's story elements not automatically know this unspecified detail in the thread title pertained to the opening of the game!? lel spoilers!"

Even if it's in the title. Who cares? It's not the OP's responsibility to cater to the niche crowd that considers what happens in the first minute of the game a spoiler.

chefbags

Because the conclusion/final arc is pants on head stupid. From what 4Chan has said.

Well none of us has played the game all the way through so we literally don't know what the final arc will be till then.

4chan leaks has no context with how it plays out in the game. If it's even true. We won't know till November.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
How meta. I was Noctis' age when they announced this, and I too have apparently jumped forward and aged 10 years :p

Skux

The time span of a story is a spoiler now? It's as harmless as character photos.

We have no idea what happens in the 10 years. We don't know if the end of the 10 years is just an epilogue or if it'll be the final boss of the game. We don't know the major events that happen over those years. We don't know who will still be alive by that time. Those are the real spoilers.

BocoDragon

10? Not 20 or more?

I thought the protagonist was a brat at the beginning of the game (little shit doesn't even like to eat his soup).
If that's still in the game, it's a flashback.

Note that it wouldn't be surprising to hear that it's not in the game anymore. :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That leak was just way too accurate to ignore.

Anyway, according to the leak
Noctis just goes into stasis at some point to get more powerful, for reasons. The game doesn't really take place over ten years. More like you snap your fingers and bam, it's ten years later.

I'd say it was more accurate than not.

Hektor

...It's the damn title of the thread. How are we supposed to avoid glancing at that.

I also love all of the snarky quips about it being in the intro. "how did people avoiding the game's story elements not automatically know this unspecified detail in the thread title pertained to the opening of the game!? lel spoilers!"

That's entirely your problem and a direct result of you going on a media blackout?

Ganondorfo

Thats what i hate about gaming journalism these days, they spoil everything before its officially released. We didnt get this kind of information back during the Final Fantasy 8 days on Internet and magazines.

We get it gaming websites, Final Fantasy XV will be a huge game, a trailer is enough to be hyped, not every day updating with a new "spoiler information for Final Fantasy XV".

In a few days Ign will post an article titled "look at how the epic boss will look like and listen also to the Shimomura final boss theme".

Kyari

I really don't think the literal opening of a game is a spoiler.
Its like saying Cloud is working for eco-terrorists to blow up a power station or Squall is in school or Terra is working for the bad guys at the start of their respective games is a spoiler.

I mean. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm trying to understand. Without context that timeline is just so vague that I don't know how it's considered a spoiler.

Is the entire game playable over those 10 years? Is it a prologue and then a time skip? Does it mean the events take place over 10 years, or do they all take place in the present with an epilogue at the end? Do the same characters persist over those 10 years? Does the main arc take place over that time or only a part of it?

There so much unknown. It tells you almost nothing about the game or the story.

Graciaus

Even if it's in the title. Who cares? It's not the OP's responsibility to cater to the niche crowd that considers what happens in the first minute of the game a spoiler.
See those people complaining about spoilers? They care. Do you think everyone watches ever video?

BocoDragon

Guys, even if the leaks are real it's all about the journey, not the destination. :)
I could see all FF scenarios sounding dumb out of context. Like if you tried to explain FF8 before I played it (summons cause amnesia, and a sorceress from the future wants to compress time into a single moment) I'd probably be aghast.

But then again, based on XIII, they have absolutely delivered bad scenarios before.

Hektor

I really don't think the literal opening of a game is a spoiler.
Its like saying Cloud is working for eco-terrorists to blow up a power station or Squall is in school or Terra is working for the bad guys at the start of their respective games is a spoiler.

U just ruined 3 games for me m8, g8 job!

Boke1879

I could see all FF scenarios sounding dumb out of context. Like if you tried to explain FF8 before I played it (summons cause amnesia, and a sorceress from the future wants to compress time into a single moment) I'd probably be aghast.

But then again, based on XIII, they have absolutely delivered bad scenarios before.

FFX suffers the worst from this. Explain that game out of context lol.

ryushe

I mean. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm trying to understand. Without context that timeline is just so vague that I don't know how it's considered a spoiler.

Is the entire game playable over those 10 years? Is it a prologue and then a time skip? Does it mean the events take place over 10 years, or do they all take place in the present with an epilogue at the end? Do the same characters persist over those 10 years? Does the main arc take place over that time or only a part of it?

There so much unknown. It tells you almost nothing about the game or the story except.
I wasn't/not trying to be rude either, but it's just I don't see how people don't see how adding story information about a story focused game in a headline/thread isn't a spoiler, especially to those who are on media blackout?

Yazzees

If this is the kind of thing you'd consider unwanted spoilers I have no idea why you read up on a forum like GAF at all.

duckroll

I don't think anyone really knows how FFXV will eventually end, not even Tabata, because being so ~open~ to fan criticism feedback, and being willing to change the UI half a dozen times, and the battle system a handful of times, I'm sure if people don't like the ending they ship, they can always Bioware it improve it with a patch and expand it in a DLC!

I'm not following.

Of course most games follow linear flow of time. Usually games take place over a course of a few days or weeks. not all of them happen over the course of a decade. 10 years is a pretty big differentiator from most of the games I play. Your post I was initially responding to makes it seem like a span of 10 years is common in many games for gameplay.

Knowing nothing about the story elements in this game and seeing that title made me think the Noctis found in the gameplay footage will age linearly over the course of 10 years as you play the game. How is that hard to understand why some might find that to be a spoiler without context?

I don't think anyone really knows how FFXV will eventually end, not even Tabata, because being so ~open~ to fan criticism feedback, and being willing to change the UI half a dozen times, and the battle system a handful of times, I'm sure if people don't like the ending they ship, they can always Bioware it improve it with a patch and expand it in a DLC!

The constant UI changes are my favorite.

Of course most games follow linear flow of time. Usually games take place over a course of a few days or weeks. not all of them happen over the course of a decade. 10 years is a pretty big differentiator from most of the games I play. Your post I was initially responding to makes it seem like a span of 10 years is common in many games for gameplay.

Knowing nothing about the story elements in this game and seeing that title made me think the Noctis found in the gameplay footage will age linearly over the course of 10 years as you play the game. How is that hard to understand why some might find that to be a spoiler without context?

Because knowing the length of time a game takes place over is not a spoiler, it's a synopsis.

I forgot the main story so excuse me but wasn't it about getting to Luna and marrying her and ending a war? It takes 10 years to do that?

This thread was worth it just to see all the people cry SPOILERS over such a minor thing.

Anyways I always get a kick out of 30something = your life is pretty much over in Japanese games/anime.

Top Bottom