• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] IGN - FF XV’s Story Takes Place Over [SPOILERS] Years [SPOILERS] SPOILERS

If the picture I saw is the right one, he looks like a totally different person. Closer to a young version of his dad.

Originally the most Asian looking Final Fantasy lead ever, why is he Caucasian in his older age? Also his hair has changed color somehow.

Does SE know what they're doing because I'm confused by this.

Mediking

Koozek and a few others on GAF are literally running around with timeskip Noctis avatars. Lol don't let it run the experience for you. You can still have fun and enjoy yourself with the story and game. BUT STILL.... don't be around GAF or Youtube for high profile games you really care for around release. You're doomed to get spoiled.

Philippo

Wasn't this part of Nomura's concept too?

I like it, especially beacuse we're also getting many childhood flashbacks (or dream sequences like VsXIII originally had), and together with Brotherhood we get to see all through Noctis life.
I wonder if we'll get a 50yo Noct!

joebruin

Isn't it a plot point?
thought Regis using magic prematurely aged him and the same thing happened to noctis.

Tyaren

By the time this games hits the shelves we will know and have seen everything of it. .___. I wish it was just this month and not two more more full of spoiling potential.

nOoblet16

It's a spoiler when you're on media blackout on the game and the headline from a major gaming news outlet is "Final Fantasy XV’s Story Takes Place Over 10" happens to pop up on your twitter feed.
Dishonoured 2 has Emily all grown up and is one of the lead protagonist. It would be a spoiler for someone who was on a complete media block out to know that...should that be not mentioned in this forum as it could spoil that for those people?

There is a point where the onus on maintaining the secrecy falls on the person rather than the gaming sites or a gaming forum. That point starts when you go on a media blackout because they are the ones who choose to ignore even the material out there for public to see freely.

Dishonoured 2 has Emily all grown up and is one of the lead protagonist. It would be a spoiler for someone who was on a complete media block out to know that...should that be not mentioned in this forum as it could spoil that for those people?

There is a point where the onus on maintaining the secrecy falls on the person rather than the gaming sites or a gaming forum. That point starts when you go on a media blackout because they are the ones who choose to ignore even the material out there for public to see freely.

If you can put it on the back of the box, it's not a spoiler.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
That's a non spoiler. If non spoilers bother you, you shouldn't be on gaming forums. If that sounds unreasonable, get over it. This is back of the box level info. Like saying there's mountains in the game.

Aki-at

Wow the leaked storyline seemed pretty bad and this pretty much confirms it.

Japanese publishers trying their darn hardest to kill their cash cows, a sight to behold.

The leak plot is probably real. Hilarious.

20 years would be a much better time period to use if you want at go show change of appearance.

Ten years and everybody else would use the same character model and explain it by saying not much time has passed.

Toth

Three concerns if there is indeed
a time jump:

1. The time jump would have to be the point of no return. That could mean that Insomnia will likely have a dungeon design similar to the Sky Fortress Bahamut - minimal exploration and no treasures to find. It really takes the fun out of a final dungeon if you can't find some sweet plunder there and then chose to leave to do side quests with that gear....

2. 10 years is a long time. Does that mean the world will fall even deeper into destruction? What effect will this have on the other cities of the world? Will the Empire be beaten before or after the time jump?

3. Tabata has hinted about a post game with new dungeons and monsters to fight. If that post game is ten years later, wouldn't they have to redo all the NPCs, dialogue, and make big changes to each area to be in align with a 10 year jump?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
If the picture I saw is the right one, he looks like a totally different person. Closer to a young version of his dad.

Originally the most Asian looking Final Fantasy lead ever, why is he Caucasian in his older age? Also his hair has changed color somehow.

Does SE know what they're doing because I'm confused by this.
Tidus in CGI looked a lot more asian than Noctis. He almost looks like he's based off of an actual person compared to Noctis.

ViciousDS

Banned
people crying race haven't even seen the movie have they?

These guys are the same person folks.........

latest

maxresdefault.jpg

They look insanely fucking different don't they?

skin tone changed in those two pics basically as well. Maybe it has something to do with the crystal and shit. Holy crap, we have no idea how it happens for crying out loud.

jett

D-Member
I don't think anyone really knows how FFXV will eventually end, not even Tabata, because being so ~open~ to fan criticism feedback, and being willing to change the UI half a dozen times, and the battle system a handful of times, I'm sure if people don't like the ending they ship, they can always Bioware it improve it with a patch and expand it in a DLC!

FFXV Episode 2: Stella's Revenge

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

skin tone changed in those two pics basically as well. Maybe it has something to do with the crystal and shit. Holy crap, we have no idea how it happens for crying out loud.

Um... they completely threw out the design for the first image you posted.

Crossing Eden

uqk7hhg.jpg

I'm ok with this based on the sole fact that his hair looks like something that wouldn't require gallons of hair gel.

Ydelnae

I've come to the fact that the leaked concepts were mostly real as other material like Kingsglaive, and trailers have lead me to believe that they actually make sense in a storytelling way.

Crossing Eden

They ditched that model and just went with a young Jon Campling, this is the new young Regis
zRoThco.png

QXjR3eC.png

ODdM0Cq.png

ViciousDS

Banned
They ditched that model and just went with a young Jon Campling, this is the new young Regis
zRoThco.png

QXjR3eC.png

ODdM0Cq.png

I was literally just in the middle of copying the new design of white regis lol, god its a pain to pause at certain points due to how much blur there is to get a nice cap

even young noctis got redesigned

noctisspssk.png

jett

D-Member
uqk7hhg.jpg

I'm ok with this based on the sole fact that his hair looks like something that wouldn't require gallons of hair gel.

Too bad Tabata couldn't grow a pair and ditch all of Nomura's designs from the get-go. I don't see the point in keeping the Roadstreet Boys. Based on this redesign, Tabata CLEARLY does not like Nomura's Noctis.

Gbraga

Three concerns if there is indeed
a time jump:

1. The time jump would have to be the point of no return. That could mean that Insomnia will likely have a dungeon design similar to the Sky Fortress Bahamut - minimal exploration and no treasures to find. It really takes the fun out of a final dungeon if you can't find some sweet plunder there and then chose to leave to do side quests with that gear....

2. 10 years is a long time. Does that mean the world will fall even deeper into destruction? What effect will this have on the other cities of the world? Will the Empire be beaten before or after the time jump?

3. Tabata has hinted about a post game with new dungeons and monsters to fight. If that post game is ten years later, wouldn't they have to redo all the NPCs, dialogue, and make big changes to each area to be in align with a 10 year jump?

About 3, I don't think so. The story is over, as long as they don't let you go to those areas after the time skip and before the credits roll, older Noctis might as well be treated as an alternate outfit. Hell, it SHOULD be treated this way, so people can "equip" younger Noctis to use for this post-game content if they want to.

uqk7hhg.jpg

An important thing about this render is that Noctis wears something more similar to his father's clothes during Chapter 0. We might have more playtime with older Noctis than we're expecting.

PtM

Banned
Too bad Tabata couldn't grow a pair and ditch all of Nomura's designs from the get-go. I don't see the point in keeping the Roadstreet Boys. Based on this redesign, Tabata CLEARLY does not like Nomura's Noctis.
It works to show a growth in the character.

Ydelnae

They said that they couldn't change the designs of the main cast since there was a contract with Roen which prevented them from doing so. Tabata also said that he would have toned down Noctis' hairstyle and stuff, but that people were too attached to the main cast already. The only main protagonist who got a significant redesign was Prompto.

Mediking

uqk7hhg.jpg

... and that's not Noctis at all. I don't know who the hell did a timeskip design for him but they did a terrible job. Look at Young Sora then Older Sora.... then look at Young Noctis and Older Noctis. Sora aged correctly while Noctis changed into a different man. And once again... Square Enix were really dumb to show Older Noctis in the beginning of the game. Just freaking dumb. That's not something you show so fast.

Despera

Banned
As someone who wasn't following most of the game's overwhelming coverage these past few weeks this piece of news was a pleasant surprise.

Then I read the rest of the thread and now I'm legit confused.

Yazzees

It's like literally the first scene of the game.

That's a spoiler to some people. And for some reason, those people can often be found on the internet forums where that exact type of information can reasonably be expected to get posted.

Doesn't that sound silly of them? I sure think so.

Nerokis

That's a non spoiler. If non spoilers bother you, you shouldn't be on gaming forums. If that sounds unreasonable, get over it. This is back of the box level info. Like saying there's mountains in the game.

This is a subjective thing. I can totally understand why this would be in spoiler territory for someone who had no idea before today: in most cases, you don't simply expect a story to include a big timeskip, and it's a legitimate surprise when it happens; a timeskip is not the equivalent to the natural passing of time over the course of events, but tends to be an event in itself that affects characterization and setting; and in the case of FFXV specifically, only a niche group of people are already familiar with the post-timeskip characters, most would have never imagined older and different versions would play a big role, and it hasn't been sold as a story that spans anywhere near that length of time.

Now, fact is we know this is revealed very early, but it shouldn't suddenly be jarring that someone's conception of what constitutes a spoiler is different than your own. This doesn't strike me as a case where spoiler culture is exaggerating the tiniest details or whatever. The problem is that a lot of people have no idea Old Man 28 Year-Old Noctis is a thing, and these details are spreading around relatively late in the marketing cycle, with the game just a few months away. It makes sense people will be approaching something like this with different frames of reference.

Crossing Eden

He straight up said as much during an interview, he feels that the character looks "artificial."

Developing Noctis was a challenge, and Tabata struggled to like him at first for how "symbolic" or artificial he seemed, and to get into the character Tabata tried to imagine how Noctis was as a child

Really wish they changed those hair styles as they're more trouble than they're worth and not very distinct in the context of what you'd expect a lead in this type of game to look like. It's also really funny that Old Noctis has a natural evolution of the hair style from when he's a child.
young_noctis_by_erikatakehara-d69dtj4.jpg

1471423619-oldnew.gif

the normal game version looks a bit out of place in comparison
... and that's not Noctis at all. I don't know who the hell did a timeskip design for him but they did a terrible job. Look at Young Sora then Older Sora.... then look at Young Noctis and Older Noctis. Sora aged correctly while Noctis changed into a different man. And once again... Square Enix were really dumb to show Older Noctis in the beginning of the game. Just freaking dumb. That's not something you show so fast.
Old Sora and older Sora is a bit odd when you consider that they're only a single year apart.
65046_1222032830987_400_300.jpg

KH2-Secret-Ending-sora-32343992-576-352.jpg

Again, it would've been better if they ditched the anime hair style and went with the style he has as a kid and an adult to keep things consistent.

Yazzees

Now, fact is we know this is revealed very early, but it shouldn't suddenly be jarring that someone's conception of what constitutes a spoiler is different than your own.

What's jarring is that they'd browse forums like this one if info that minor (again: the first scene of the game already establishes it) is considered upsetting spoilers to them.

Wow the leaked storyline seemed pretty bad and this pretty much confirms it.

Japanese publishers trying their darn hardest to kill their cash cows, a sight to behold.

What a relief. I was worried you'd wait for the game to actually be completed and released before saying it sucked.

I've actually been getting really hyped for this. Love, love the long progression of time in games.

One cool example was Red Dead Redemption.

Would have preferred to not know the timespan, but not really mad about it. It's not like the thread title spoils a big death or plot twist lol

duckroll

It's not about growing a pair, it's about him being very aware of what his job scope is. He wasn't put in place to create a brand new game from ground up. He was put in place to salvage a project which wasn't moving in the direction the company wanted, without making it seem to the fans that everything they have been shown so far is a lie. So his job is to take everything he can that has been revealed so far, and reassemble it into a game that can be shipped, while ditching anything that hasn't been shown or anything that really cannot be used.

I think a good comparison is Platinum Games taking over Metal Gear Rising. They reused a ton of concepts, assets, etc. But they also requested a total revamp of the scenario. The gameplay and level design was made mostly from scratch, but even then they tried to retain as much as possible from what had been revealed to fans - so stuff like the Zendatsu system, the freeform cutting, etc was worked into the game so as not to disappoint people who had been following the game since it was announced.

The main difference between MGR and FFXV is that Kojima himself put out a video explaining that whatever they worked on to be scrapped because they sucked shit and failed to make a good game, and that Platinum was going to do a kickass job from here on out. They owned their mistakes and made the transition as smooth as possible for the new developers. Tabata on the other hand has been fighting an uphill battle since day one because Square Enix can't own jack shit. They wanted to leave Nomura on board as director for the XV announcement, then they shuffled him out, and the removal was clearly not a mutual agreement. This leaves a lot of doubt in the minds of fans who have been following this. What happened? Who is right? Who is wrong? Was Nomura's vision no good? Was management just being jerks to him? Who is this Tabata? Why is he changing everything? Where is Stella? Who is this Luna? Fuck everything! Etc.

If they came to a better agreement on how to handle this, and were totally transparent about it, like how FFXIV 2.0 was handled, this would be much more pleasant for everyone. Fans, Tabata, Nomura, everyone. The first step would be to admit what fucked up with Versus and why. To this day, no one wants to own up to that.

JayEH

Why is square just spoiling their own story like this? So bizarre. It's like they've ran out of things to talk.

Nerokis

He straight up said as much during an interview, he feels that the character looks "artificial."

Really wish they changed those hair styles as they're more trouble than they're worth and not very distinct in the context of what you'd expect a lead in this type of game to look like. It's also really funny that Old Noctis has a natural evolution of the hair style from when he's a child.
young_noctis_by_erikatakehara-d69dtj4.jpg

Maybe it was, but I'm not sure this was a statement about his design. Seems to me that comes down more to Noctis' characterization. I mean, I myself wasn't sure how to describe him for the longest time, and he doesn't exactly brim with personality. That's probably why Tabata had to imagine him as a kid to humanize him.

Top Bottom