• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] IGN - FF XV’s Story Takes Place Over [SPOILERS] Years [SPOILERS] SPOILERS

Mediking

I almost feel like creating a thread for actual COOL timeskip designs for characters.... Here's my boys Sora and Riku from Kingdom Hearts:

Code:
[IMG]http://static.tumblr.com/qi2qu6i/gWYm6mfqn/tumblr_m64z8kmtbv1qgt5wy.gif[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]https://66.media.tumblr.com/bf97a03e4c70331167e08de7d793e686/tumblr_nk5k1jmCrt1qmencro1_500.gif[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]https://66.media.tumblr.com/984f33434bd470fc4d1f4112be55efe5/tumblr_mhs7fz7vEg1qbc2ylo2_500.gif[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]http://static3.comicvine.com/uploads/original/7/78977/2325260-riku6.gif[/IMG]

And then there's me.... I can't find the cool timeskip image of my avatar but imagine my guy in a cool open shirt suit.

joebruin

What's jarring is that they'd browse forums like this one if info that minor (again: the first scene of the game already establishes it) is considered upsetting spoilers to them.

Not really. Most people are generally pretty consciencious and will spoiler tag thread titles and posts judiciously if they think there is even an inkling of a spoiler.

Not sure why people keep bringing up the fact that it's the first scene. When something occurs in a game doesn't dictate it's spoiler worthiness. Only a small percentage of people have probably watched those first chapter play throughs as most will want to experience it themselves.

PtM

Banned
uqk7hhg.jpg

I'm ok with this based on the sole fact that his hair looks like something that wouldn't require gallons of hair gel.
And yet they ditched the Yakuza theme.

If they weren't so different it wouldn't be as jarring because I actually like old Noctis as a design.

But it's just so different from his base model that it's impossible to divorce the two.

jett

D-Member
It's not about growing a pair, it's about him being very aware of what his job scope is. He wasn't put in place to create a brand new game from ground up. He was put in place to salvage a project which wasn't moving in the direction the company wanted, without making it seem to the fans that everything they have been shown so far is a lie. So his job is to take everything he can that has been revealed so far, and reassemble it into a game that can be shipped, while ditching anything that hasn't been shown or anything that really cannot be used.

I think a good comparison is Platinum Games taking over Metal Gear Rising. They reused a ton of concepts, assets, etc. But they also requested a total revamp of the scenario. The gameplay and level design was made mostly from scratch, but even then they tried to retain as much as possible from what had been revealed to fans - so stuff like the Zendatsu system, the freeform cutting, etc was worked into the game so as not to disappoint people who had been following the game since it was announced.

The main difference between MGR and FFXV is that Kojima himself put out a video explaining that whatever they worked on to be scrapped because they sucked shit and failed to make a good game, and that Platinum was going to do a kickass job from here on out. They owned their mistakes and made the transition as smooth as possible for the new developers. Tabata on the other hand has been fighting an uphill battle since day one because Square Enix can't own jack shit. They wanted to leave Nomura on board as director for the XV announcement, then they shuffled him out, and the removal was clearly not a mutual agreement. This leaves a lot of doubt in the minds of fans who have been following this. What happened? Who is right? Who is wrong? Was Nomura's vision no good? Was management just being jerks to him? Who is this Tabata? Why is he changing everything? Where is Stella? Who is this Luna? Fuck everything! Etc.

If they came to a better agreement on how to handle this, and were totally transparent about it, like how FFXIV 2.0 was handled, this would be much more pleasant for everyone. Fans, Tabata, Nomura, everyone. The first step would be to admit what fucked up with Versus and why. To this day, no one wants to own up to that.

That's actually a pretty good comparison. In Kojima's case he more or less threw The Rising team under the bus (since he wasn't leading the project) rather than assuming any responsibility himself HAH. I guess it wasn't really possible for Nomura to throw himself.

I am being too hard on Tabata, I mean I know FFXV is a frankengame meant to salvage all it can from Versus so that Squeenix saves some face from that debacle. If they had been more honest from the start things would've sailed smoother for sure.

It's just a real shame more drastic measures weren't taken with the cast. The redesigned Prompto and Older Noctis are an improvement in every single way.

That's actually a pretty good comparison. In Kojima's case he more or less through The Rising team under the bus (since he wasn't leading the project) rather than assuming any responsibility himself HAH. I guess it wasn't really possible for Nomura to throw himself.

I am being too hard on Tabata, I mean I know FFXV is a frankengame meant to salvage all it can from Versus so that Squeenix saves some face from that debacle. If they had been more honest from the start things would've sailed smoother for sure.

It's just a real shame more drastic measures weren't taken with the cast. The redesigned Prompto and Older Noctis are an improvement in every single way.

To be fair, with Prompto all they did was give him a haircut.

Mediking

Not throwing shots at the OP but is this another case of a OP creates a thread but never comments because he/she knows that some people is upset?

.JayZii

Banned
I do like that Noctis transformation, though.

"What? Your ASIAN is evolving! ... Congratulations! Your ASIAN evolved into CAUCASIAN!"

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's not about growing a pair, it's about him being very aware of what his job scope is. He wasn't put in place to create a brand new game from ground up. He was put in place to salvage a project which wasn't moving in the direction the company wanted, without making it seem to the fans that everything they have been shown so far is a lie. So his job is to take everything he can that has been revealed so far, and reassemble it into a game that can be shipped, while ditching anything that hasn't been shown or anything that really cannot be used.

I think a good comparison is Platinum Games taking over Metal Gear Rising. They reused a ton of concepts, assets, etc. But they also requested a total revamp of the scenario. The gameplay and level design was made mostly from scratch, but even then they tried to retain as much as possible from what had been revealed to fans - so stuff like the Zendatsu system, the freeform cutting, etc was worked into the game so as not to disappoint people who had been following the game since it was announced.

The main difference between MGR and FFXV is that Kojima himself put out a video explaining that whatever they worked on to be scrapped because they sucked shit and failed to make a good game, and that Platinum was going to do a kickass job from here on out. They owned their mistakes and made the transition as smooth as possible for the new developers. Tabata on the other hand has been fighting an uphill battle since day one because Square Enix can't own jack shit. They wanted to leave Nomura on board as director for the XV announcement, then they shuffled him out, and the removal was clearly not a mutual agreement. This leaves a lot of doubt in the minds of fans who have been following this. What happened? Who is right? Who is wrong? Was Nomura's vision no good? Was management just being jerks to him? Who is this Tabata? Why is he changing everything? Where is Stella? Who is this Luna? Fuck everything! Etc.

If they came to a better agreement on how to handle this, and were totally transparent about it, like how FFXIV 2.0 was handled, this would be much more pleasant for everyone. Fans, Tabata, Nomura, everyone. The first step would be to admit what fucked up with Versus and why. To this day, no one wants to own up to that.

Right, instead SE strung fans along for several months following Nomura's departure. I get they didn't want to upset people who had been following the game for years but as you said... they should have just owned up to it from the start because now we have... well, you've seen the threads.

Mediking

I'll take that for Notcis. His hairdo is actually literally 10 years-old. It's not modern, hip or fashionable at all.

Prompto got a bit more than just a makeover though.

Brotherhood high school Prompto is the best design for Prompto anyway. RIP to THAT great design.

jacobeid

Banned
Unsure how this is a spoiler. Isn't that like the First 10 minutes of this game they've showed 20 hours of

Because we're at the point in which simply knowing the existence of a system or mechanic within a game will piss people off as a spoiler. There is no pleasing anyone.

Right, instead SE strung fans along for several months following Nomura's departure. I get they didn't want to upset people who had been following the game for years but as you said... they should have just owned up to it from the start because now we have... well, you've seen the threads.

I'll just go watch the E3 2013 trailer longingly again.

Toth

About 3, I don't think so. The story is over, as long as they don't let you go to those areas after the time skip and before the credits roll, older Noctis might as well be treated as an alternate outfit. Hell, it SHOULD be treated this way, so people can "equip" younger Noctis to use for this post-game content if they want to.

What I was getting out though if you are able to do postgame content, it would imply you will have access to the 'world maps'. If there is a 10 year jump, they would have be some big changes on the map and NPCs to match that. Perhaps they will have an option in the future to send you (or your memories) to the past before Noctis supposedly enters his stasis

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
And yet they ditched the Yakuza theme.
Considering teh whole kingsglaive thing it would be really weird to see a bunch of dudes doing all this magic shit in suits instead of modern day interpretations of fantasy gear.

duckroll

That's actually a pretty good comparison. In Kojima's case he more or less through The Rising team under the bus (since he wasn't leading the project) rather than assuming any responsibility himself HAH. I guess it wasn't really possible for Nomura to throw himself.

I think we should focus on Kojima as the producer and studio head rather than Kojima the director. Yes, he kinda threw the Rising team under the bus, but he did assume responsibility for his failure as studio head to allow things to get to that stage. It wasn't just him in the video either, the KojiPro producer heading Rising also talked about his own failure to get the team to gel together. The writer also talked about his challenges during the transition between the projects and made it clear that the old script was being thrown out, and what to expect from the new one.

Nomura is not the producer of VersusXIII or FFXV. He doesn't handle business decisions and he obviously didn't make the call to replace himself. Someone else did. Was it Hashimoto? Was it Kitase? Was it the CEO Matsuda? No one knows. None of these bigwigs are talking about this. They're leaving it to the creative leads to scramble for answers in interviews. No one wants to say "Yes I evaluated the situation and decided this had to be the best course of action".

That's the problem imo. When you're not transparent, you give lots of room for speculation, rumors, and corporate fanfiction.

Future

I'm sure all the women suffer an affliction that keeps them exactly 18 though

wasnt there a fighting game that did this? Aged all the men but kept the women young?

Hmmm, sounds like something that would've been really cool if not known. Playing through the game and realizing just how long this quest is taking and seeing Noctis age.

But, people are saying the leaks point to this quest ending up being complete shit, so I guess it doesn't matter.

I almost feel like creating a thread for actual COOL timeskip designs for characters.... Here's my boys Sora and Riku from Kingdom Hearts:

Code:
[IMG]http://static.tumblr.com/qi2qu6i/gWYm6mfqn/tumblr_m64z8kmtbv1qgt5wy.gif[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]https://66.media.tumblr.com/bf97a03e4c70331167e08de7d793e686/tumblr_nk5k1jmCrt1qmencro1_500.gif[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]https://66.media.tumblr.com/984f33434bd470fc4d1f4112be55efe5/tumblr_mhs7fz7vEg1qbc2ylo2_500.gif[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]http://static3.comicvine.com/uploads/original/7/78977/2325260-riku6.gif[/IMG]

And then there's me.... I can't find the cool timeskip image of my avatar but imagine my guy in a cool open shirt suit.
But are these truly timeskips or just progressions between games? I mean besides Sora being in that chamber thing, everyone just got older didn't they?
pls don't hurt me if i'm wrong, my kh lore falters when the game is gone for awhile

Akainu

I can't think of one time a time skip ever had any meaningful character development and not just been a excuse for powerups.

Mediking

But are these truly timeskips or just progressions between games? I mean besides Sora being in that chamber thing, everyone just got older didn't they?
pls don't hurt me if i'm wrong, my kh lore falters when the game is gone for awhile

It...well... it's complicated. Hahahah

Lynx_7

Final Fantasy XV: Hand of the Heavenly Bride.

But is it going to be something you experience throughout the whole game or just a "10 year laters" affair at the very end?
At any case, I wish they'd kept it a secret (and completely axed chapter 0 too). Would've been much better to find out on my own when I played the game.

otakukidd

People saying it's not a spoiler since it happens at the beginning of the game would you consider switching main characters in metal gear solid 2 or the fact assassins Creed took place in our time spoilers? People had no idea about these 2 before the game was out and was a surprising twist.

Hate how much game companies show off their games before release. Some times even to the point of showing off the entire game.

This has been the worst game marketing I've seen in years. Not because of how little its marketed, but because its marketed too much. Multiple demos, several press events, giving away key story elements, way too many interviews, anime, CGI movie, mobile game. I remember popping old Final Fantasies and it being a completely fresh experience. Nothing was spoiled or over advertised. Just the shut the hell up and work on your game and get it out the door.

Dmax3901

It's more than likely gonna be Noctis and co when they're 20 (or whatever) for 95% of the game, then the epilogue is gonna be them when they're older. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
This is a subjective thing. I can totally understand why this would be in spoiler territory for someone who had no idea before today: in most cases, you don't simply expect a story to include a big timeskip, and it's a legitimate surprise when it happens; a timeskip is not the equivalent to the natural passing of time over the course of events, but tends to be an event in itself that affects characterization and setting; and in the case of FFXV specifically, only a niche group of people are already familiar with the post-timeskip characters, most would have never imagined older and different versions would play a big role, and it hasn't been sold as a story that spans anywhere near that length of time.

Nobody said anything about a timeskip though. I personally am hoping it's a gradual progression like Assassin's Creed II, a game which covered 23 years. 2 months here. 5 months there. Time passes between each scene. It builds up.

People saying it's not a spoiler since it happens at the beginning of the game would you consider switching main characters in metal gear solid 2 or the fact assassins Creed took place in our time spoilers? People had no idea about these 2 before the game was out and was a surprising twist.

Hate how much game companies show off their games before release. Some times even to the point of showing off the entire game.

Raiden's a bit of a spoiler yeah. He's not in the very beginning of the game though and as far as I know wasn't revealed before release.

The whole premise of the AC series is being a person in the present and diving into the memories of your ancestors to live in the past. Not a spoiler. That cool premise is what attracted me to the series in the first place.

Voror

It's more than likely gonna be Noctis and co when they're 20 (or whatever) for 95% of the game, then the epilogue is gonna be them when they're older. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Pretty much what I'm expecting as well, which is kind of a shame because it'd be cool to have this happen with quests in the world after all that time.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Tabata does love him some FFVI. Could be 50-60% of the way through, like the World of Ruin.

Astral Dog

Idk, I really dig these modern day knight esque outfits.
Kingsglaive-Final-Fantasy-XV-1-1.jpg

kingsglaive.jpg

The first one looks ugly :S

the others were fine in the movie, i guess it varies depending on taste, people liked that old Regis design, Stella, etc.
the Emperor looked cool on the old Versus trailers too, not so much in the movie, i dont remember how he looks in the game now.

Yes, for somw reason they de aged them on the training dream but they are still basically on their KH 2 outfits-

canon wise they only had one redesign one year later

Dee Dee

Look, maybe it's because I am an old fart (32), but I remember reading movie reviews in magazines that completely re-told the plot of a movie including the soppy death scene at the end, and I still went, watched, and enjoyed those movies.
I value knowing what I am getting into. I feel that is the reason NeoGAF works, and that people come here to exchange information about unreleased games.
Is it a possiby good experience? Will I have fun with this?

Watched Citizen Kane, knowing what "Rosebud" refers to, still thought it was a great movie.

This is not on a level of "the calls are coming from inside the house" or "you were the villain the whole time" which would completely revert your first time experience of the game.
I played the first Danganronpa spoiled, it was still a fun game!

I never heard people say "Assassin's Creed would not have had the emotional effect it had on me, had I known if the framing plot before!!"

I think it's really reaching to put "there are plot points over a span of 10 years" on the level of "Darth Vader is Luke's
lol, you know?
" and be miffed about it instead of getting more excited and informed about the game you plan to purchase.

I guess I am just being old, I don't want to buy a potential 80 hours game not knowing if there's bullshit in it - I just don't have time for bullshit anymore. If all the game has to offer is a surprise time skip with a lot of grey hair fan service, and you are losing excitement from not being able to be surprised by that in the first 20min of the game, then I am not going to sweat spoiling this for you.

I do like that Noctis transformation, though.

"What? Your ASIAN is evolving! ... Congratulations! Your ASIAN evolved into CAUCASIAN!"
Laughing way too hard at this.

Old Noc looks dope.

People complaining about trying to stay media blackout while in the gaming side of GAF is just beyond me. Stay off the internet then. Or just stick to OT.

Lynx_7

I can't think of one has a time skip ever had any meaningful character development and not just been a excuse for powerups?

Dragon Quest V does a pretty good job. You start as a kid and end as an adult.

Tabata does love him some FFVI. Could be 50-60% of the way through, like the World of Ruin.

If it's akin to the world of ruin then I'd say it's closer to 75%. I would be pleasantly suprised if that's the case but like most others I'm expecting this to be just a last-stretch-of-the-game deal.

sonto340

Laughing way too hard at this.

Old Noc looks dope.

People complaining about trying to stay media blackout while in the gaming side of GAF is just beyond me. Stay off the internet then. Or just stick to OT.
This is a terrible rebuttal. Downright nonsensical.
I'm on blackout for this game, not everything video game related.

Top Bottom