• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILERS Pokemon Sun/Moon Begins to leak on 4Chan

Bubble

Neo Member
No ways to re-battle trainers? Not even the stupid, daily stadiums from BW or the restaurants from XY returns? Well, there probably goes my plan at having a rotating team of 12 Pokemon.

Sun & Moon are starting to sound more and more like Black/White. At this point, I'm just gonna keep my living Pokedex in ORAS. Not even going to bother sending them over through the bank.

Seil

Wait, what the hell. At least, do they have something similar and as easy and quick to use...?

Kind of...

Note that I don't know exactly how this works when online, but I'm going to assume it works the same way.

Festival Plaza. You can go there instantly at any time from your menu. On top of its normal features, the bottom screen also basically becomes a new menu that includes stuff like trading and battling.

This is where you go to do GTS, Wonder Trade and initiate communications with other players. They need to go to their plaza as well, though as far as I can tell, in order to do this. So you'd both go to your plazas, hit the trade button, see each other on the list and initiate things like you would in the PSS. So it's not actually as bad as it sounds.

For local stuff, though, there's also the Quick Communication feature. Which can be accessed straight from the menu anywhere else. When you activate Quick Communication, it tells you to hold down on the touch screen. If two people nearby do this at the same time, it'll connect them.

Basically, though, other than the transition into the plaza, and the fact both parties will need to go there, it'll work like the PSS for communications. Not as great, but not horrible. Unfortunately there are no O-Powers, though =/

No ways to re-battle trainers? Not even the stupid, daily stadiums from BW or the restaurants from XY returns? Well, there probably goes my plan at having a rotating team of 12 Pokemon.

Sun & Moon are starting to sound more and more like Black/White. At this point, I'm just gonna keep my living Pokedex in ORAS. Not even going to bother sending them over through the bank.

I didn't say we didn't get stuff like restaurants, we actually do precisely get restaurants lol.

I said there's no way to rematch normal trainers out in the field as far as I'm aware.

Forkball

Wait, what the hell. At least, do they have something similar and as easy and quick to use...?
Festival Plaza. It seems slower and less convenient though. Please understand.

If only AZ was involved. Look at all the advancements during his reign. PSS. Horde battles. Destiny Knot. O Powers. He also planted a tree in Hoenn. That's right, he was trying to make sure Hoenn had less water. But no, everyone had to make fun of him because he was a nine foot tall homeless guy whose story didn't make any sense.

Qurupeke

Kind of...

Note that I don't know exactly how this works when online, but I'm going to assume it works the same way.

Festival Plaza. You can go there instantly at any time from your menu. On top of its normal features, the bottom screen also basically becomes a new menu that includes stuff like trading and battling.

This is where you go to do GTS, Wonder Trade and initiate communications with other players. They need to go to their plaza as well, though as far as I can tell, in order to do this. So you'd both go to your plazas, hit the trade button, see each other on the list and initiate things like you would in the PSS. So it's not actually as bad as it sounds.

For local stuff, though, there's also the Quick Communication feature. Which can be accessed straight from the menu anywhere else. When you activate Quick Communication, it tells you to hold down on the touch screen. If two people nearby do this at the same time, it'll connect them.

Basically, though, other than the transition into the plaza, and the fact both parties will need to go there, it'll work like the PSS for communications. Not as great, but not horrible. Unfortunately there are no O-Powers, though =/
Alright, it doesn't sound terrible. No O-Powers sucks though.
Festival Plaza. It seems slower and less convenient though. Please understand.

If only AZ was involved. Look at all the advancements during his reign. PSS. Horde battles. Destiny Knot. O Powers. He also planted a tree in Hoenn. That's right, he was trying to make sure Hoenn had less water. But no, everyone had to make fun of him because he was a nine foot tall homeless guy whose story didn't make any sense.

And people hated XY because of "mah postgame". SMH...

Seil

VXct3cd.png

TkdBmHc.png

The yellow button at the bottom of the first image opens up that second screen which will list all of the people who are connected to you, and show whether or not they're in the plaza. You can select them and put in a communications request from there.

PSS was better, though.

one_kill

EV training sounds like a pain.

I got into competitive Pokemon with XY, but ORAS was the game that brought it out full force. I'm not sure I'll be playing competitively with SM after reading the changes.

I'd definitely breed a Toxapek though.

Forkball

Ohmori: I want to express the abundance of life in Pokémon Sun and Moon.

Less than 80 new Pokemon
Smaller Pokedex than XY
No National Dex
Less than twenty Alolan forms
No Safari Zone

Dat abundance

Seil

Less than 80 new Pokemon
Smaller Pokedex than XY
No National Dex
No Safari Zone

Dat abundance

Throw in that Island Scan seems to have less than 30 possible Pokemon despite being the only source I'm aware of for Pokemon not in the Alola Dex (who also don't get dex entries since they're well, not in the Alola Dex).

All said though I really do like Gen VII, but I definitely have some issues with some of the details of the postgame, EV training etc.

They did implement something I really wanted after Gen VI's introduction of breeding down poke balls, in allowing genderless and male pokemon to pass down their balls. Unfortunately another step back from Gen VI is that there's no apparent way to catch the new starters in the wild in whatever ball we want, let alone with their HA...

trixx

Less than 80 new Pokemon
Smaller Pokedex than XY
No National Dex
No Safari Zone

Dat abundance

If all my friends weren't egging me on to buy this game, I don't think I'd buy it.

Once all the hacked pokemon and abundance of legendaries get through in bank, the online mode will be dead to me.

Seil

Oh, also, fair warning... That call for help mechanic that we've discussed is also the most annoying thing ever when you just want to catch something real quick lol... Seeing as you can only throw a ball when only one opponent is on the field, and they can call for help again on the turn you KO the other...

If all my friends weren't egging me on to buy this game, I don't think I'd but it.

Once all the hacked pokemon and abundance of legendaries get through in bank, the online mode will be dead to me.

You may not wanna hear this but there'll be hacked pokemon day 1, those tools have been being updated and already offer partial support for Gen VII. Hell, the people that work on that are the primary people datamining.

Qurupeke

Less than 80 new Pokemon
Smaller Pokedex than XY
No National Dex
No Safari Zone

Dat abundance

Haha, it's fascinating that the initial excitement in the thread has turned to such disappointment.

Zelias

Banned
Man, I'm still hyped to play this, but I'd be lying if I said this EV/postgame stuff wasn't bumming me out. My fault for expecting Game Freak to not throw away good ideas along with the bad.

trixx

Oh, also, fair warning... That call for help mechanic that we've discussed is also the most annoying thing ever when you just want to catch something real quick lol... Seeing as you can only throw a ball when only one opponent is on the field, and they can call for help again on the turn you KO the other...

You may not wanna hear this but there'll be hacked pokemon day 1, those tools have been being updated and already offer partial support for Gen VII. Hell, the people that work on that are the primary people datamining.

oh yeah actually I figured this would be the case shortly after I posted. I think it's not too big of a deal now because vast majority will be using legit usable pokemon only featured in Sun and Moon games. The pokemon increase through bank and greater abundance of hacked mons will probably get me back to just playing random battles on smogon

Seil

Haha, it's fascinating that the initial excitement in the thread has turned to such disappointment.

The thing about all this is, while I'm being the bearer of bad news and am rather disappointed by the unfortunate things I'm bringing up, I'm still honestly very happy about this generation.

I mean, all of these little things really add up and they hit in some really annoying areas. But, personally, I really rather enjoyed playing through the story here. If not for the failings in these mostly postgame/competitive areas, I think Gen VII would've definitely been my favorite Generation all around. And I still think I like its story and characters more than any other generation, which was previously held by Gen V. But that'll be a matter of opinion.

I think the pacing of the story progress was fantastic, the story's involvement was good, the characters were interesting etc. I mean, it's not like super ultra amazing fantastic, but for a Pokemon game it was really well done imo.

Things just kind of fall apart when you get past that, unfortunately =/

Edit: Also I'm not sure how much I'm looking forward to the run through Sun I'll probably start soon, thanks to how story focused the game is. I found it to be quite fun for the first playthrough but I have a fear it'll be a bit of a slog going through all of that dialogue etc when trying to just like, get through the game again.

RRockman

Banned
GSC was first, because of the Pokegear. NPCs would call you and re-challenge you. HGSS retained this.

RSE had the Trainer's Eyes feature, which returned in ORAS.

FRLG had the Vs Seeker.

DPPt only had the various once a day kind of things.

B2W2 did have breeders that reset but.... other than that it was basically daily style stuff, and facilities like Black Tower/White Treehollow.

XY, like DPPt just had daily stuff and stuff like restaurants and the chateau.

Edit: As for S&M, I actually don't think I've seen a way to rematch normal trainers.

hype levels off. I'm still going to buy both though since my little brother digs it and he like fighting me but this seems like a snore fest for single player... Unless the The Battle Tree is as fantastic as the pokemon world tournament in BW2 with many unexpected returns of gym leaders and trainers out of nowhere.

I've never understood why EV's are always so needlessly complicated. Why not just gain a general set of EV points as you beat different Pokemon like exp that can be distributed on the stats screen however the player wants? For as much effort as Gamefreak tries to make this series appeal to both casual and hardcore players they have systems like EVs/IVs that infuriate hardcore players because they are such a chore to manage and casuals generally never even understand what they are.

Why not just appease both and make things easier to deal with and more obvious to the general playerbase?

Also in regards to hyper training, I'm not sure if I understood that correctly. So by hyper training you can't actually raise the IV's but you can raise the stats as if the had max IV's? So it sucks ass for breeding but once you have the Pokemon you want and get it to 100 (lol) you can max out its stats even if its IV's were originally terrible?

Seil

I've never understood why EV's are always so needlessly complicated. Why not just gain a general set of EV points as you beat different Pokemon like exp that can be distributed on the stats screen however the player wants? For as much effort as Gamefreak tries to make this series appeal to both casual and hardcore players they have systems like EVs/IVs that infuriate hardcore players because they are such a chore to manage and casuals generally never even understand what they are.

Why not just appease both and make things easier to deal with and more obvious to the general playerbase?

Also in regards to hyper training, I'm not sure if I understood that correctly. So by hyper training you can't actually raise the IV's but you can raise the stats as if the had max IV's? So it sucks ass for breeding but once you have the Pokemon you want and get it to 100 (lol) you can max out its stats even if its IV's were originally terrible?

You've basically got that right, yes.

Rather than actually boosting the IV to 31, it basically sets a flag that says "this Pokemon's [stat] has been hyper trained" and thus treats it as being 31 for the sake of stat calculations. This means it still has its original IVs for the purposes of breeding and Hidden Power determination.

Personally, I really wish they would've disconnected HP from IVs altogether, given it its own separate variable, added in Fairy type and made it a value that can be passed down through breeding.

Like, even without making Hyper Training actually boost the IV to 31, I think shifting Hidden Power to its own completely separate thing could only be good.

Qurupeke

The thing about all this is, while I'm being the bearer of bad news and am rather disappointed by the unfortunate things I'm bringing up, I'm still honestly very happy about this generation.

I mean, all of these little things really add up and they hit in some really annoying areas. But, personally, I really rather enjoyed playing through the story here. If not for the failings in these mostly postgame/competitive areas, I think Gen VII would've definitely been my favorite Generation all around. And I still think I like its story and characters more than any other generation, which was previously held by Gen V. But that'll be a matter of opinion.

I think the pacing of the story progress was fantastic, the story's involvement was good, the characters were interesting etc. I mean, it's not like super ultra amazing fantastic, but for a Pokemon game it was really well done imo.

Things just kind of fall apart when you get past that, unfortunately =/

Edit: Also I'm not sure how much I'm looking forward to the run through Sun I'll probably start soon, thanks to how story focused the game is. I found it to be quite fun for the first playthrough but I have a fear it'll be a bit of a slog going through all of that dialogue etc when trying to just like, get through the game again.

I'm certainly looking forward to the story, from what I've seen the game seems entertaining and quite refreshing. But everything else has been mostly a disappointment so far. Every time a new Pokemon game comes, they just have to change stuff and discard some features... Instead of improving ev training and PSS, they change them completely. Meanwhile, stuff like Amie gets a lot of attention from them and they actually manage to make that better.... I just can't understand some of their decisions.

Oh, can people play 'hacked'/'leaked' 3DS games nowadays via custom firmware or something?

Yes, which makes the whole leak even more frustrating.

Seil

No new fossils as well.

That one's not incredibly weird. Alola, like Hawaii, is a set of volcanic islands. That's not to say there can't be fossils, it's just not necessarily that strange to not have new, Alola native fossils.

I have no idea why Gamefreak is always going one step forward and two steps backs. This is coming from someone who has zero interest in the meta. I feel really bad for those of you who are interested in it though. Hopefully some mechanics are there but are hidden or something to that effect.

I have the guide coming on the 25th. I have no idea how in depth it will be but I will peruse it first thing to see if the mechanics that appear to be gone are simply hidden or cannot be accessed until post game.

Man, what's so hard about allowing the player(s) to get the IVs they want AND make getting the EVs simple and easy? Game Freak is making this stuff so needlessly complicated.

Forkball

I do wish more journalists were more informed about the metagame aspects of Pokemon so they could take the developers to task about controversial features. You never see journalists ask Game Freak about these types of questions regarding why IVs and EVs are that way and feature removal. Questions are always "How do you keep coming up with new Pokemon?" and reviews are just "It's Pokemon/10." Repeat the cycle for each new title. You'll never see a journalist ask, "Do you think IVs are a hindrance to those interested in competitive battling, and how do you plan to address this issue with this title" or "Many people think EV training is more cumbersome in this title than in XY. What is the thinking behind changing this feature?" Meanwhile journalists are trying to desperately get an answer out of developers about whether the eight room of the fourth raid in a Destiny expansion will have it's drop rate adjusted.

Seil

I'm certainly looking forward to the story, from what I've seen the game seems entertaining and quite refreshing. But everything else has been mostly a disappointment so far. Every time a new Pokemon game comes, they just have to change stuff and discard some features... Instead of improving ev training and PSS, they change them completely. Meanwhile, stuff like Amie gets a lot of attention from them and they actually manage to make that better.... I just can't understand some of their decisions.

Refresh is actually weird too. Yes, it has actual functionality in letting you cure status ailments, but it lacks the minigames Amie had =(

spiritfox

I do wish more journalists were more informed about the metagame aspects of Pokemon so they could take the developers to task about controversial features. You never see journalists ask Game Freak about these types of questions regarding why IVs and EVs are that way and feature removal. Questions are always "How do you keep coming up with new Pokemon?" and reviews are just "It's Pokemon/10." Repeat the cycle for each new title. You'll never see a journalist ask, "Do you think IVs are a hindrance to those interested in competitive battling, and how do you plan to address this issue with this title" or "Many people think EV training is more cumbersome in this title than in XY. What is the thinking behind changing this feature?" Meanwhile journalists are trying to desperately get an answer out of developers about whether the eight room of the fourth raid in a Destiny expansion will have it's drop rate adjusted.

How often does Game Freak speak to outside journalists anyway? It's not like Nintendo will grill them in an Iwata (or whoever) Asks.

Cindro

so no hordes, no super training, no triples, no rotations, no national dex, no new megas, no dex nav, no move tutors
Hold on - how will all of that non-Alola dex Pokemon show up in your game once you transfer them from bank? [<-- I'm guessing people won't know until January, maybe]

But they'll have to be accounted for somehow. It seems like it would be near impossible to leave a national dex out, unless when you transfer over bank Pokemon you don't have access to their name or flavor text or anything else since the dex doesn't cover it. There's no freaking way they'd do that - the national dex just *has* to be some sort of patch when they make the Pokemon bank update.

As for super training - what did they replace it with? Is the only way to EV train now by either vitamins or slowly grinding it out by battling one wild pokemon at a time like the painful days of old?

Kyzer

Banned
Festival Plaza seems like a huge step back. PSS was actually super modern, made the game always online when you wanted it to be. Why did they take away so many awesome features :(

RRockman

Banned
Refresh is actually weird too. Yes, it has actual functionality in letting you cure status ailments, but it lacks the minigames Amie had =(

Why? I dont get it. Why drop features that aren't bad? Were those minigames really bogging down performance? it sure didnt look it.

Seil

Hold on - how will all of that non-Alola dex Pokemon show up in your game once you transfer them from bank? [<-- I'm guessing people won't know until January, maybe]

But they'll have to be accounted for somehow. It seems like it would be near impossible to leave a national dex out, unless when you transfer over bank Pokemon you don't have access to their name or flavor text or anything else since the dex doesn't cover it. There's no freaking way they'd do that - the national dex just *has* to be some sort of patch when they make the Pokemon bank update.

As for super training - what did they replace it with? Is the only way to EV train now by either vitamins or slowly grinding it out by battling one wild pokemon at a time like the painful days of old?

Pokemon not in the Alola Dex simply do not have entries. They don't appear in the dex at all. It's purely a Pokedex thing. It's not like having no dex entry breaks the Pokemon, they function just fine, you just can't look them up in the dex.

It's not impossible that they add in national dex functionality when Bank drops, but Bank will have its own Pokedex and I think we're assuming they'll just leave it at that.

Shiny Charm seems to be from completing the Alola Dex now rather than the Naional Dex.

----

On Super Training... EVs in this game are in a weird spot. You have the Poke Pelago, which lets you passively get EVs but it's incredibly unbelievably slow and thus basically worthless. There are stalls in the Festival Plaza that can boost EVs, seemingly one can even max them. But all services from a stall in the plaza are once a day. That leaves you with grinding in battle and vitamins as you said, though it's streamlined a little compared to the past in that now Pokemon can call for help, summoning a second of their kind into the battle. You can abuse this to farm them rather than running around to ge more encounters. I have previous posts going into more detail on these subjects.

Edit: Some general Gen VII EV stuff
Some followup on the Call for Help mechanic for EVs
Details about the Call for Help mechanic in general

Forkball

How often does Game Freak speak to outside journalists anyway? It's not like Nintendo will grill them in an Iwata (or whoever) Asks.

There have been a ton of interviews with Ohmori and Masuda prior to launch.

A quote from this interview is telling.

So it's less about looking at past games and seeing what went well or what went poorly, it's more just looking at each project as its own new thing and determining what we want to do and how we can accomplish it.

"We just basically make it up as we go along and maybe people will like it it who knows who cares Pokemon MegaDiamond and UltraPearl out soon."

Kyzer

Banned
I'm sorry Ohmori but you did not deliver. GTFO please. Be assistant director to Morimoto, who deserves his own gen far more than you ever did.

Super salty right now. Glad I decided to look at the leaks

Cindro

Pokemon not in the Alola Dex simply do not have entries. They don't appear in the dex at all. It's purely a Pokedex thing. It's not like having no dex entry breaks the Pokemon, they function just fine, you just can't look them up in the dex.

It's not impossible that they add in national dex functionality when Bank drops, but Bank will have its own Pokedex and I think we're assuming they'll just leave it at that.

Shiny Charm seems to be from completing the Alola Dex now rather than the Naional Dex.

----

On Super Training... EVs in this game are in a weird spot. You have the Poke Pelago, which lets you passively get EVs but it's incredibly unbelievably slow and thus basically worthless. There are stalls in the Festival Plaza that can boost EVs, seemingly one can even max them. But all services from a stall in the plaza are once a day. That leaves you with grinding in battle and vitamins as you said, though it's streamlined a little compared to the past in that now Pokemon can call for help, summoning a second of their kind into the battle. You can abuse this to farm them rather than running around to ge more encounters. I have previous posts going into more detail on these subjects.
The lack of a national dex is heartbreaking. Pokemon lore is one of my favorite aspects, and I'm not going to peruse the bank at my leisure for that stuff. These were the games I was committed to completing my living dex in too, ugh!

And I just caught up with your other posts breaking down the EV mechanics. Thanks so much for doing the research and legwork! Seems rather regressive though :(

Just when I was high on Ohmori, he comes in and does us like this :/

There have been a ton of interviews with Ohmori and Masuda prior to launch.

A quote from this interview is telling.

"We just basically make it up as we go along and maybe people will like it it who knows who cares Pokemon MegaDiamond and UltraPearl out soon."

I wouldn't have a problem with that quote if it came from a competent game designer, wasn't in regards to a long running series with many iterations and these Pokemon versions were actually vastly different in nature.

None of that is the case though.

So it looks like Bottle Caps can be fished up on Poni Island. The rates seem rather low though...

Do we have any info on wild encounter held items? Would be nice if something is able to hold it in the wild.

RRockman

Banned
Ohmori said:
"But just like the Pokémon themselves, each game should have their own characteristics. So it's less about looking at past games and seeing what went well or what went poorly, it's more just looking at each project as its own new thing and determining what we want to do and how we can accomplish it."

each game should have their own characteristics.

This right here. This is a silly excuse. I can understand the changing of ways things are done, like the pokecenter/store spilt in ORAS after the combo in in BW/XY and Sun and moon (shoot even in the US stores differ city by city. Chicago's Walgreens is WAY bigger than Indianapolis' Walgreens) let alone regions, But the removal of features for the player, things that are non diegetic and dont actually push how different the region is like the Amie minigames, trainer rematches, GB sounds or any variant of an ingame mp3 player is just silly. I really does feel like they are holding things back for the third game/sequel/remake instead of doing major improvements for each one.

DNAbro

The lack of quick EV training is easily the weirdest thing for this gen. I've never been that into competitive pokemon but I like having the option there. Old fashioned EV training was a pain. I might just try and use some of the options here since they seem very passive and I'm lazy but there definitely should have been something for quick EVs.

Also not sure if posted, but you get Shiny Charm once you complete Alola Dex which is like 300 pokemon. Magearna and Marshadow is 301 and 302 but obviously not needed.

Seil

How soon do you get a everstone? I don't want to evolve Yungoos he is a cutie

I'm not entirely sure when the option to do this opens up, but at some point after completing the first trial, you can go to Ilima's home and he'll battle one then give you an everstone. I didn't find this until postgame, but his pokemon were under level 20 so I'm assuming it's after finishing the first grand trial at the latest. But I can't say for sure.

Top Bottom