• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILERS Pokemon Sun/Moon Begins to leak on 4Chan

I don't know whether to use Gengar or Night bat as my Ghost type for my party. I'll likely end up using Night Bat in this game alone since I always have Gengar as my ghost type.

DNAbro

Fucking hell why didn't they just do it like the console games? Now I'm angry.

tumblr_n5gbskuPpr1rjenv2o1_500.jpg

Man the GC games were awesome.

Aleh

I'm guessing it's because the actual battlefield isn't big enough and making them huge for a couple of pokémon only would be counter productive (unlike a game focused solely on battles)

Azuran

Banned
I say that because from what I've seen, the game is a revamp in the same vein as X/Y.

The world is really well put together and completely cohesive unlike before. Wild pokemon grass everywhere. Literally the map is layed out just like the region down to the buildings and grass areas. and I urge everyone to play the game blind like Red+Blue. Dont look at guides, just explore by yourself. The sense of discovery is there. It can make you anxious as you start to evolve your team but the reward will pay off.

Just looking at the Alola dex and everything they held back on, you can instantly see they put most of their effort into the story and building the world and subsystems. I just feel they will flesh it out later. X/Y did the opposite, fleshed out the systems and mechanics, overhauled the presentation but shitted on the world and story.

Now why can't they do both at the same time? Black and White had a great single player and improved on the competitive aspect a lot without sacrificing anything of note.

Logic would dictate they would keep the mechanic improvements they did in Gen VI to compliment the better single player, but I guess that's a no go over there at Game Freak. Gotta make people buy the next set of games so maybe they get what they're looking for.

I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to rush the Switch version with a terrible half-assed story like in XY and blame it on "new technology"

FSLink

Banned
I saw all the Pikachu costumes are back too. It's likely just leftover data in the game.

I keep asking about Rotom, has anyone found if he spawns anywhere like with a qr code or anything like that? I'm super bummed he doesn't appear to be in the game besides the pokedex.

And also, I'm gonna be choosing Litten and wanted a good grass or electric pokemon on my team. I was gonna use Vikavolt but I'm not sure. What's a good Mon for the team?
Yeah but Spiky Eared Pichu was not in the previous gen's game data. My guess is it's there for the later Gen 4 remakes.

UberTag

I know this is awfully premature, but does anyone know who you might have to breed with to get a Litten with Crunch?
I believe it shares an egg group with Smeargle so you should have no difficulty on that front.
One nice thing about those QR code pokemon is that they'll facilitate some additional egg move flexibility for breeding moves onto competitive Alolan pokemon legitimately that might otherwise be locked out.

That's probably true.

I know it's even asked many times, but we still don't know how to get the starters with their Hidden Abilities, right?
Not legitimately, no. I'm sure a bunch of hacked ones will be running around on Day 1.
We may still find out before launch. We didn't know how to get hidden abilities on the non-starter pokemon until 48 hours or so ago.

Another issue with the GameCube size implementation for sun and moon is the small 3ds screen and it's low resolution would probably make it a lot worse for certain matchups like wailord vs joltik

This is one of the stupidest changes with all the counter measures added to check priority, especially in a meta where stealth rocks is so damn common.
The only good counter measure was tapu lele and maybe Bruxish. Tsarina is still weak to flare blitz and too slow to deal with talonflame. Plus gamefreak cares more about vgc format where nobody uses stealth rocks anyways

Delio

So I wasnt going to use Toucannon for ingame but honestly I think i will. Skill link early game will blow up a lot of things fairly fast.

The Lamp

Pick your poison, do you want a flying Wailord or a baby one? Both are bad implementations.

A proper-sized Wailord is not a bad implementation. The SM implementation is the size of a horse. Even Alola Exeggutor is bigger/off-screen. It's inexcusable scaling. The could have moved the placement of Pokémon and trainers around to at least make the scaling a bit more consistent and believable.

A proper-sized Wailord is not a bad implementation. The SM implementation is the size of a horse. Even Alola Exeggutor is bigger/off-screen. It's inexcusable scaling. The could have moved the placement of Pokémon and trainers around to at least make the scaling a bit more consistent and believable.

Wailord was probably more problematic because it's proportions are more long than tall compared to Alolan Exeggutor

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Who gets that move that heals you by the target's Attack and then lowers it.
That's probably the most broken move.

Shiinotic. But with it's weak stats (60/45/80/90/100/30), I don't think it will see much use competitively.

(I say that as someone who has very little experience with battling online, so I could be wrong.)

EDIT: Actually, it's defenses are better than I realized. Maybe it does have a chance.

Is it true that Sun takes place entirely during the day and Moon at night? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere and that'll be enough to make the decision for me of which to get, if there's no cycle I'd rather it be perpetually day.

Not legitimately, no. I'm sure a bunch of hacked ones will be running around on Day 1.
We may still find out before launch. We didn't know how to get hidden abilities on the non-starter pokemon until 48 hours or so ago.
I know GTS and wonder trade actually have some sort of ban list. People who hacked the Gen II starter HAs back in Gen VI found trying to wonder trade would never find a partner and GTS deposits would not be visible to others...until about a few days before the official release then they worked.

I feel like we would know this by now if it was changed, but does Parental Bond still boost stats twice?
Secondary effects still trigger on second hit so it would (if it could learn it anymore).

There is quite a lot of things looked at here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-sun-moon-battle-mechanics-research.3586701/

Is it true that Sun takes place entirely during the day and Moon at night? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere and that'll be enough to make the decision for me of which to get, if there's no cycle I'd rather it be perpetually day.

Neither version does. Both have a full 24 hr day and night cycle. Sun follows the real time day and night cycle. If its 6am in your time, it will be 6 am in your game. Moon is shifted 12 hrs. If its 6 am in your time, it will be 6pm in your game.

Make sense?

Busaiku

Shiinotic. But with it's weak stats (60/45/80/90/100/30), I don't think it will see much use competitively.

(I say that as someone who has very little experience with battling online, so I could be wrong.)

EDIT: Actually, it's defenses are better than I realized. Maybe it does have a chance.

Marshadow's signature steals the opponent's stat boosts and attacks them. It has like 90 power too. This is what I call broken.
Well, if it was on something with priority or high Speed, it would've been broken.
On something with that low Speed and no Prankster though, it's fine.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's so funny to see people being disappointed by this generation as that is how I spent the whole of gen 6.

Though that could change when I play the game for myself.

Whats the post game content like?

Pretty barebone from what I have heard.

Is the main quest still piss easy?

Depends on your team and play style but folks are saying that the game is pretty challenging with Ace Trainer using Z-moves themselves.

Just looking at the Alola dex and everything they held back on, you can instantly see they put most of their effort into the story and building the world and subsystems. I just feel they will flesh it out later. X/Y did the opposite, fleshed out the systems and mechanics, overhauled the presentation but shitted on the world and story.

But why is Game Freak opting to focus on one over the other when with past generation they manged to focus on both and more.

Because the Orre game was on the GameCube, Sun and Moon are on the 3DS.

Marshadow's signature steals the opponent's stat boosts and attacks them. It has like 90 power too. This is what I call broken.

Not like Marshadow will be allowed in official tournament.

I remember seeing a list of songs that you can use in PvP battles being posted earlier in the thread but are there more unlockable songs like the
BW E4 theme
and
Red/Blue battle theme
?

Daemul

Is the main quest still piss easy?

I've always found that how difficult you find a Pokemon game depends on various factors, including your team make up. In SM if you don't really give a fuck about which Pokemon is your team and just choose them for the looks you will still get through most of the game fairly easily, but in areas where difficulty spikes up you'll probably find yourself struggling.

If on the other hand you're like me and you build your in game team with a competitive mindeset (I know, its dumb, but the Ghetsis fight in BW scarred me, and a lesson was learnt), then no, SM won't be a challenge, but I'm a min maxer so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Pokemon games will not be a challenging to a min maxer like me unless the game devolves into post game facility levels of cheating.

You do realize there's only so much screen real estate, especially with the pisspoor resolution of the 3DS?

If this was on the Switch, you'd have a point.

I remember seeing a list of songs that you can use in PvP battles being posted earlier in the thread but are there more unlockable songs like the
BW E4 theme
and
Red/Blue battle theme
?
Just to save scroll space:
https://projectpokemon.org/research/sunmoon/storytext.txt
For the battle tree. Text File : 0 lines beginning with ♪. I assume the second list is unlocked after a milestone.
https://projectpokemon.org/research/sunmoon/gametext.txt
Text File : 3 I'm guessing is battle spot agains lines starting with ♪. Worth noting in the sound directory there are 19 tracks whose filenames start bgm_nj_vs_ and 19 named tracks there.

Now the thing is the game has some past songs which are not in either sets of lists (and not sorted with the other bgm_nj_vs_ files);
XY trainer battle, Frontier Brain (the GBA version for some reason), Wally, Champion Cynthia, BW Elite 4 and VCG finals

FSLink

Banned
You do realize there's only so much screen real estate, especially with the pisspoor resolution of the 3DS?

If this was on the Switch, you'd have a point.

Nah they could have done some visual tricks. But they just don't care or don't feel it's worth it.

I've always found that how difficult you find a Pokemon game depends on various factors, including your team make up. In SM if you don't really give a fuck about which Pokemon is your team and just choose them for the looks you will still get through most of the game fairly easily, but in areas where difficulty spikes up you'll probably find yourself struggling.

If on the other hand you're like me and you build your in game team with a competitive mindeset (I know, its dumb, but the Ghetsis fight in BW scarred me, and a lesson was learnt), then no, SM won't be a challenge, but I'm a min maxer so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Pokemon games will not be a challenging to a min maxer like me unless the game devolves into post game facility levels of cheating.

Pretty much.

But I will say that being early in the game it definitely feels more difficult even with EXP Share on. Even Wild Pokemon can require some more thought than just mashing A through encounters as it was during X/Y's campaign.

Top Bottom