• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILERS Pokemon Sun/Moon Begins to leak on 4Chan

UberTag

Does it tell you if a Pokemon that arrives for help has an HA?
Of course not. You'll need to have it trigger independently or employ something like Skill Swap to isolate whether the pokemon has an HA.

This worked relatively easily with Skarmory because two of its three abilities - including its HA - responded to attacks. So you could tell relatively quickly whether it had Sturdy, Keen Eye or Weak Armor.

But a lot of other HAs won't be as intuitive as Weak Armor was. And if it's true that Mareanie won't call for help itself and you can't chain it after it snipes Corsola, I'm thinking it's going to be impossible to legitimately find one with Regenerator. Merciless will be the way to go.

Nabbing a Prankster Sableye pre-Bank may prove problematic for the same reasons.

I read your other posts. I was just making a stupid post. But the point does still stand. It's kind of weird that GF, after all this time, makes the weirdest choices. How long have RPGs had multiple save slots? How long have difficulty settings been in place?

It's sort of sad that the community had to come up with their own rules to make the games more fun and more challenging.

Many Communities come up with their own rules for play. Zelda has 3 heart runs and No Sword Runs, MGSV has an On site Procurement challenge that's popular. As long as the game is flexible to accommodate, playing with house rules is anything but "sad".

One big question is looming over my head as I have a complete living dex: Can you breed Cosmog? If you can't, is there a way to obtain multiple of them in 1 game? And if you can't do that as well, is it possible to trade it between games?

If I can't have Cosmog, its evo and the box legendaries in my PC, it's going to drive me nuts.

So there's a guy on /vp/ right now who's saying that EV training is actually quite a bit easier than people are stating. Here's something he states is in the game that I haven't heard much:

Anonymous said:
EVs - The Festival Plaza (FREE, INSTANT EV MAXING)
>One of the booth types in the Plaza is a shop that sells EV boosting drinks (for Festival Coins - FC - basically Poke Miles). At the highest level, these shops sell drinks that can fully maximize a stat.
>The shops can sell multiple EV maxing drinks ("Max HP", "Max Def" etc.) but you can only buy each drink once a day per shop (meaning that you could buy both the HP and the Def drink in one day).
>You can have up to 7 booths in your Plaza, and they can be duplicates of one another. In other words, in the best case scenario, YOU CAN *INSTANTLY* MAXIMIZE EACH STAT UP TO 7 TIMES PER DAY
>"hurr but how do i get a good booth" - You can check what booths both random players and friends have and clone their booths to your plaza. In other words, if someone gets a good booth, it can spread like Pokerus. Just add someone from /wfg/ with it and its yours. Quick and easy.
>"hurr what if i only want 128 EVs" - There are medium and small size drinks as well in lower tier shops.

Sounds great if true, just requiring a bit of set up.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Is Passimian one of the Pokémon that either calls for help and appears when called?

I really want Passimian with his hidden ability for my team.

Seil

Of course not. You'll need to have it trigger independently or employ something like Skill Swap to isolate whether the pokemon has an HA.

This worked relatively easily with Skarmory because two of its three abilities - including its HA - responded to attacks. So you could tell relatively quickly whether it had Sturdy, Keen Eye or Weak Armor.

But a lot of other HAs won't be as intuitive as Weak Armor was. And if it's true that Mareanie won't call for help itself and you can't chain it after it snipes Corsola, I'm thinking it's going to be impossible to legitimately find one with Regenerator. Merciless will be the way to go.

It'll depend on the rate of hidden abilities as the chain increases, and your strategy on that last point. You could put the Mareanie to sleep then use Simple Beam or something to check its ability. Hope it stays asleep to finish it off if it lacks its HA. Or you could heal the corsola. Etc.

These are things I do want to test, but I also have things to check out in general in the postgame, and I want to start on my Sun playthrough sooner rather than later x.x

Is Passimian one of the Pokémon that either calls for help and appears when called?

I really want Passimian with his hidden ability for my team.

Passimian appear normally yes. There are very few Pokemon that I'm aware of who don't call for help or only appear when called for.

One thing I would like to know is how you figure out the potential of your pokemon? In xy you had to go talk to a guy in the pokecenter. Is it the same thing in this game, and where at if so?

Also since I can't transfer my dittos from xy yet, where is ditto located?

Well, if that 4chan poster is correct about EVs, then all these pages complaining about no horde battles seems really silly now. Great if true

Seil

One thing I would like to know is how you figure out the potential of your pokemon? In xy you had to go talk to a guy in the pokecenter. Is it the same thing in this game, and where at if so?

Also since I can't transfer my dittos from xy yet, where is ditto located?

Excerpt from my earlier post:

Once you unlock the stats judge mechanic (which I haven't yet) it's apparently added to your box operations!

Ditto are on the third island, Mount Hokulani.

Many Communities come up with their own rules for play. Zelda has 3 heart runs and No Sword Runs, MGSV has an On site Procurement challenge that's popular. As long as the game is flexible to accommodate, playing with house rules is anything but "sad".

Yeah, sad is the wrong word. But it's disappointing that after 20 years, we still don't have features that seem very common and easy to implement.

I'm still excited for Sun and Moon though.

Supposedly, there's a minor event tying Mr. Bonding and the O-powers to Marshadow, Solgaleo and Lunala. Necrozma is basically an anomaly because it doesn't project wormhole energy like other UBs do. No one in universe knows exactly what it is so they just classify it as an incredibly rare pokemon.
So would this open for a chance of a third version like eclipse?
Since
outside of zygrade, every third legendary got a game about them

UberTag

It'll depend on the rate of hidden abilities as the chain increases, and your strategy on that last point. You could put the Mareanie to sleep then use Simple Beam or something to check its ability. Hope it stays asleep to finish it off if it lacks its HA. Or you could heal the corsola. Etc.

These are things I do want to test, but I also have things to check out in general in the postgame, and I want to start on my Sun playthrough sooner rather than later x.x
I suppose if it's possible to kill off Mareanies and chain the Corsola while protecting it and extend the chain long enough to get a Mareanie with an HA... is that viable? I'm assuming the first Mareanie you encounter will never have an HA because the chain won't be nearly high enough at that point.

Incidentally, I rather like that Eevee can receive help from Espeon and Umbreon so if folks want to catch them in the wild without having to boost friendship that's an option.

GoldStarz

It's not early per se, but there is still plenty of important stuff left after you clear that trial (around 10h of my 35h save). Mimikyu was the last Pokémon I added to my party, and I still got him to get me out of a lot of tight situations, thanks to Decoy.

And, yeah, walking around the trial site with that encounter rate is a bitch. I was with some friends and we were all passing the console around waiting for someone to find one, which was kinda fun once we actually found one and nearly killed him, just to end up catching him with one of my last Pokéballs, a Lure Ball.

Those shitty encounter rates for some Alolan Pokémon are one of the bad points of this game, but there's so much stuff that makes up for it in many other ways.

Ah, I'll just get someone to trade a newly hatched one for me early in the game.

Actually, I don't supposed GameFreak has finally let you trade Pokemon for Eggs yet, have they?

Thought about trying competitive online for the first time but probably not. So confusing time consuming this gen to breed. Xy and oras were perfect for me.

Shirke

So there's a guy on /vp/ right now who's saying that EV training is actually quite a bit easier than people are stating. Here's something he states is in the game that I haven't heard much:

The Festival Plaza is a bit confusing for me right now, but if I'm understanding this correctly, you can level up your own booths and share them online? And have up to 7 duplicates of the same booth you get online or your own?

Seil

I suppose if it's possible to kill off Mareanies and chain the Corsola while protecting it and extend the chain long enough to get a Mareanie with an HA... is that viable? I'm assuming the first Mareanie you encounter will never have an HA because the chain won't be nearly high enough at that point.

Incidentally, I rather like that Eevee can receive help from Espeon and Umbreon so if folks want to catch them in the wild without having to boost friendship that's an option.

It should be a viable strategy, yes. But yeah I think the Mareanie rate is pretty high so it could be a chore. But once someone has it, it can be bred.

Ah, I'll just get someone to trade a newly hatched one for me early in the game.

Actually, I don't supposed GameFreak has finally let you trade Pokemon for Eggs yet, have they?

We've been able to trade eggs for generations lol.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Passimian appear normally yes. There are very few Pokemon that I'm aware of who don't call for help or only appear when called for.

Sweet, so I can use a Defiant Passimian on my team.

So would this open for a chance of a third version like eclipse?
Since
outside of zygrade, every third legendary got a game about them

We don't know, but I get the impression that gen 7 will be short and it could be possible that we get a third version in 2019.

I assume you mean trading via wonder trade and GTS as we have been able to trade eggs since gen 2.

Kyzer

Banned

Yo...Sun Moon almost redeemed with this

Busaiku

Did everyone already forget about the Festival Plaza?
It was in the trailers, dunno why everyone was freaking out over no Super Training.

Yeah, sad is the wrong word. But it's disappointing that after 20 years, we still don't have features that seem very common and easy to implement.

I'm still excited for Sun and Moon though.

Hmm, I think I can agree with the disappointment, Pokemon is a derivative of Dragon Quest but it beautifully managed to find its own identity. Wanting the game to pursue the logical extent of that system's skill level is something I lament many times when I come across a good RPG's combat mechanics. For me, Grandia 3 comes to mind. It's such a cool system with a couple niggling issues. But it's so pathetically simple in almost every encounter. Not every game should try to be SMT, but I think paying more thought about how difficulty should engage the player is needed (Like where to frustrate them, where to confound them, where to push their limits, where to make them panic and where to have them relax etc.), which I'm glad S/M payed some mind to. I personally enjoy the games for their atmosphere more often than not which I admit, difficulty plays some role in.

I never really payed attention to the Festival Plaza, but if that's true, then that's amazing.

Hope leveling them up won't be too much of a hassle.

DNAbro

I like how it can go from "This game sucks for EV training" to "okay this might be the easiest thing ever now"

Pre-release while majority of us aren't playing the game sure is fun lol

Sandfox

Based on things that have been posted in this thread I would assume it's true.

I don't see a viable way an AI can play around Switch mode, it's absurdly overpowering and not how the battle system was designed. Furthermore, all difficulty selections in every kind of game are arbitrary, it's mostly a whim to please oneself. I recently played Hitman without an pop up indicators and so and found it to be brilliant when played with those options disabled and found it to be dreadfully dull with those options enabled. There are also no actual difficulty selection options in that game. I find Pokemon is similar to that. I evaluate games at their most interesting average. For Pokemon that is on Set because it teaches the player intuition and increases the demand for adaptability. The Switch in has to take what ever the opponent does and this rule of Pokemon should not be broken.

On the bright side, I think you'll like the Totem Pokemon, most of them apply a interesting strategy to defeat much like a traditional RPG boss fight.

Difficulty selections needn't be arbitrary, not when a series like Pokemon could take advantage of having higher quality opposition match-ups than they currently do. Things like team strategy, type coverage, item usage would do a lot in increasing the quality of battles from a difficulty standpoint without resorting to a mash-A fest. Think of something like the fanhack series BlazeBlack/2 and VoltWhite/2 (even if they go a bit overboard in terms of giving slightly OP movepools) where the game demands attention to how you prepare battles or else you'll get shredded.

I don't think Set on single player teaches the player that with the way the AI is set-up. Using it during the campaign is going to make them think that they could take advantage of turns similarly when opponents with better prediction/read skills will end up taking advantage of them instead. The better teacher will always be 1v1 matches online. Furthermore, I do agree that Switch is overpowered, but there are ways to play around that by taking advantage of simple things like which Pokemon are used, their BSTs, movepool selection, team synergy/strategy and so forth.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Does anyone have a link to the Japanese names of all the New Pokemon? Surely they've been found in the data...

Speaking of names just realized Golisopod is "goliath" + "isopod", been pronouncing it like "go-liss-so-pod" and being confused as to what it meant.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Wait for real? I never had to so I just kinda assumed you couldn't lol. In that case I'll just ask someone to trade me an egg Day 1 then lol.

Ha ha yeah you can, I have been doing it for years by trading in a Charmander egg to a new file.

Though just make sure that you have two Pokémon as the game won't let you trade it if you only have one active Pokémon.

I've upgraded my hype from Pokemon Pinball Ruby and Sapphire to Learn with Pokemon: Typing Adventure

Ha ha, my hype is hovering around 72% it would have been higher had the new Pokémon count had been higher.

Seil

I've said this way earlier in the thread in response to a question, but trading unlocks anywhere from ~30 mins to an hour or so of playtime, depending on what all you're doing. For anyone who cares, especially people who want to trade themselves the starters.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I've said this way earlier in the thread in response to a question, but trading unlocks anywhere from ~30 mins to an hour or so of playtime, depending on what all you're doing. For anyone who cares, especially people who want to trade themselves the starters.

Jeez that's a obnoxiously long time to unlock trading, I liked the day when you could unlock it after getting the Pokédex.

Seil

Jeez that's a obnoxiously long time to unlock trading, I liked the day when you could unlock it after getting the Pokédex.

Here you unlock it when you *fully* get the Pokedex, which is after various introductory things.

This is a weird thing about Gen VII, due to its story focus and stuff, things feel fine initially, but replaying things may be a different story.

True Fire

And it takes 5 minutes of cutscenes to choose a starter. Good luck to anyone who wants to reset for a shiny.

These games are becoming so bloated and linear. I wish they would go down the Dark Souls route and have you explore the world and uncover mysteries without intervention.

UberTag

One big question is looming over my head as I have a complete living dex: Can you breed Cosmog? If you can't, is there a way to obtain multiple of them in 1 game? And if you can't do that as well, is it possible to trade it between games?

If I can't have Cosmog, its evo and the box legendaries in my PC, it's going to drive me nuts.
You get gifted a 2nd Cosmog you can train post-game by traversing through the portal into the opposite dimension of the game you're in... so if you traverse to the Sun-verse from Moon or vice versa.

The Cosmog can be raised and evolved into either Solgaleo or Lunala but this is hard-locked to whichever cart you own. If you evolve it on your Moon cart, it'll simply become a 2nd Lunala to the one you already own. You can do that and trade it for Solgaleo or you can simply trade the Cosmog or box it. But yeah, there is one that isn't shackled to the game narrative that you can do whatever you want with. Including adding to your Living Dex.

You get gifted a 2nd Cosmog you can train post-game by traversing through the portal into the opposite dimension of the game you're in... so if you traverse to the Sun-verse from Moon or vice versa.

The Cosmog can be raised and evolved into either Solgaleo or Lunala but this is hard-locked to whichever cart you own. If you evolve it on your Moon cart, it'll simply become a 2nd Lunala to the one you already own. You can do that and trade it for Solgaleo or you can simply trade the Cosmog or box it. But yeah, there is one that isn't shackled to the game narrative that you can do whatever you want with. Including adding to your Living Dex.
Sweet, thanks.

UberTag

I've got a quick question...

When in the game does one unlock this game's surf equivalent... aka the Sharpedo Jet Ski?

Thought about trying competitive online for the first time but probably not. So confusing time consuming this gen to breed. Xy and oras were perfect for me.

Smoothies! It's all about the smoothies! Appearantly, give your Greninja a smoothie and he'll waste everything!

I have no fucking clue what's going on but smoothies!

Anarky

Banned
I have different opinion on Grinding. Grinding is basically a dynamic difficulty select (where the selection method is time) in RPGs which can have varying impacts depending on how important leveling is. Under this interpretation the EXP share does act as a difficulty modifier because it reduces your levels at every given point if you choose to not use it.

The problem with XY is that there are a handful of memorable scenarios even with the Set mode enabled. The Gym Leaders or really any major encounter in the game aren't particularly interesting and EXP share enabled hurts this even more because of XY's exp formula easily enabling overleveling. Probably the most Memorable fight is Korrina.

SM doesn't seem to have this issue nearly as much because of the level scaling and better designed encounters in general.

Probably around BW if not generally better due to generally superior dialogue on average and stronger presentation.

BW is my fav pokemon game and part of that is due to the story so that bodes well for SM.

Kyzer

Banned
Whoa I didn't know about that. So if I traverse from sun to moon in game does Rockruff evolve into the other version?

Top Bottom