• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
I don't think Rey is an ancient baby or anything of the sort. I'm sure she is 19 years old and was not preserved from a time long past. She's also not twins with Kylo or anyone else. He is confirmed to be 30 years old.

There are enough ancient figures in Star Wars, from Yoda to Maz to Snoke. Rey is a character for the current generation, she is young on purpose, not a blast from the past.

Also I really like the adoptive angle. It allows the story to still be a "Skywalker" story essentially. But also allows for some play in the story that isn't so much..."EVERYONE IS RELATED."

Plus how cool for little kids to have an adopted, female, heroine? Disney would be all over that.

I don't think Rey is an ancient baby or anything of the sort. I'm sure she is 19 years old and was not preserved from a time long past. She's also not twins with Kylo or anyone else. He is confirmed to be 30 years old.

There are enough ancient figures in Star Wars, from Yoda to Maz to Snoke. Rey is a character for the current generation, she is young on purpose, not a blast from the past.

She's effectively "young" either way. I just think her being ancient, or being linked to the temple is a way to account for her emergence and her power. It also gels well with the "awakens" title. She's literally "awoken" if you will.

How many garbage compactors have you seen with controls on the inside?

They've confirmed she's returning, so it's a moot point.

I think it's implied that there's a decent gap between when shit starts blowing up and when the planet implodes. They obviously had time to go and find Kylo in the middle of a forest, so it doesn't seem unlikely that they could find Phasma in the middle of their base.

What will be weird is how, assuming she maintains a villainous role, everybody will probably ignore the fact that she's essentially responsible for the destruction of the Starkiller.

"You refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force?"
8591-23933.jpg

No, I just did a marathon a week before TFA. He definitely says that, but it's re-arranged.
I just watched it. He stops after he says "my sister has it" then he pauses and says "yes its you Leia".. he doesnt say "and you have that power too".

Oh yeah. I remember that being discussed before... isnt it a rerecording of the same line? I dont remember him saying "you have that power too" in ROTJ. I thought he stopped at "my sister has it".

Nah he says the line, but he says "you have that power too" before even mentioning his family. So technically he does stop at "my sister has it" :)

watershed

Banned
Also I really like the adoptive angle. It allows the story to still be a "Skywalker" story essentially. But also allows for some play in the story that isn't so much..."EVERYONE IS RELATED."

Plus how cool for little kids to have an adopted, female, heroine? Disney would be all over that.

She's effectively "young" either way. I just think her being ancient, or being linked to the temple is a way to account for her emergence and her power. It also gels well with the "awakens" title. She's literally "awoken" if you will.

I don't think they are going to go with that history for her. In fact I think her importance is in the future and not in her past. She may be Luke's kid but I doubt that as well. In the movie Maz says something like "You're looking for belonging, you won't find it in your past but in your future" which is a statement both about Rey as a character and the direction of these new movies.

I don't think they are going to go with that history for her. In fact I think her importance is in the future and not in her past. She may be Luke's kid but I doubt that as well. In the movie Maz says something like "You're looking for belonging, you won't find it in your past but in your future" which is a statement both about Rey as a character and the direction of these new movies.

But I think that's exactly my point. She literally has no belonging in the galaxy, she is a girl out of time. He only belonging is forward, with her new friends and with Luke as a Palawan.

He didn't really adopt her yet, but by the end of the series she is called a "Skywalker" by Luke. Her belonging, is in the future of her becoming the new savior of the universe.

And with them axing the EU, this gives them so much room to jump off of with EU stuff again. They don't have to in the movies though. It can literally be just a short scene describing an ancient Jedi that hid her in the temple, Luke found her there and she's the key to defeating Snoke. Boom done.

They've confirmed she's returning, so it's a moot point.

I think it's implied that there's a decent gap between when shit starts blowing up and when the planet implodes. They obviously had time to go and find Kylo in the middle of a forest, so it doesn't seem unlikely that they could find Phasma in the middle of their base.

What will be weird is how, assuming she maintains a villainous role, everybody will probably ignore the fact that she's essentially responsible for the destruction of the Starkiller.
Starkiller base was destroyed. So there are no security cameras left showing it was her who did it. No one will know.

I disagree in that most people don't really care. But yes, they kinda have to fix it once he shows up in the flesh.

Idk every person I've talked to that saw it thought he looked dumb and out of place. We are talking ultra casuals here some who have never even seen a Star Wars film.

He just looked baaad

Hatchtag

Banned
Seriously they need to do something about Snoke in the next movie. They have to realize no one likes it

Visually, Snoke was my favorite thing in the movie. It felt the most new. Plus I like Prometheus' Engineers a lot, so that helps.

In terms of character, I think he's going to be elaborated on more in the next movie. He's basically just Palpatine in this movie, and that's okay here, because having him in the movie too much would distract from the main villain of the movie, Kylo Ren. But he's definitely got a bigger backstory implied to him that I think we might see.

jwillenn

I'm kind of with Octodad about Rey, though I haven't tried to come up with as many details. As I shared at Ign nights ago, I think it's possible she was among those being trained under Luke and things went terribly wrong (not with her but possibly). Her training with Luke had gone as far as force and saber combat skills. It's possible that in this time she surpassed Kylo.

Things go wrong. Luke uses a technique he discovered in order to keep Rey under the radar. He was able to basically "force" her to forget her time with Luke and the others. Her knowledge was buried deep into her subconscious. She would "awaken" in a time that Luke intended.

VII = the alarm clock going off instead of "I believe I can fly so I guess that's what I'll do!"

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Starkiller base was destroyed. So there are no security cameras left showing it was her who did it. No one will know.

Even my work has real-time, off-site backup, and it's a tiny company.

Visually, Snoke was my favorite thing in the movie. It felt the most new. Plus I like Prometheus' Engineers a lot, so that helps.

In terms of character, I think he's going to be elaborated on more in the next movie. He's basically just Palpatine in this movie, and that's okay here, because having him in the movie too much would distract from the main villain of the movie, Kylo Ren. But he's definitely got a bigger backstory implied to him that I think we might see.

He just looked really out of place. Maybe it was the combo of being 40ft tall as well as not that great of CG. Hopefully he looks a lot better when we see him in non hologram form

Spinluck

Idk every person I've talked to that saw it thought he looked dumb and out of place. We are talking ultra casuals here some who have never even seen a Star Wars film.

He just looked baaad

Something... Something... Anecdotes...

But yeah, it felt very Marvel-esque, not saying they are the first series of films to have a big baddie mastermind working in the shadows. But it seems to be acceptable for blockbusters to tell stories over a series of films and leave open loops. When Snoke or whatever showed up, someone in my theater yelled "Thanos!" I lol'd.

Nobody's monitoring the single most important room in the building? It can't be that hard to draw a line between one of the only people with access to the shield room disappearing for a while and the shields going down.

Oh well, I've gone over how stupid that scene was a bazillion times in this thread. It's a great move otherwise, but that scene is so bad.

Luke seems to be playing it canon straight by saying he doesn't remember a thing. So is Leia lying or is she actually Padme?
Was Padmes death by saddness a callback to that line?

I agree with the Snoke being out of place. With so many great characters done with practical effects, he and Maz look out of place. I really would love Snoke to be portrayed with practical effects but how can Serkis play a 7 ft tall baddy that way?

The Finn hate urks me a bit too. I thought he was fantastic.

I can finally join the club here now that I've seen the movie. I'm dying to know more about Rey and Finn. Fantastic additions to the series and I want Rey to be my wife, she is amazing. It is gonna be a long year and a half

just rewatched it, that's it for me now until the bluray hits.

fun movie. death star 3.0 is such a tired idea though (death planet if we're being more accurate) especially when it gets to that mission briefing scene. for the love of god don't do death star 4: death galaxy or some shit in episode 9. you don't have to do it anymore. They even have a scene where somebody mentions "so it's another death star" and poe's like "no it's not" and then draws up the comparison and it's the exact same thing lmao, just bigger.

and also the R2D2 thing is such an asspull. C3P0 states they searched the droid for data and it came up empty, bb8 bumps into him earlier (with the missing piece nonetheless) and no response. But hey we're done with the death star plot maybe now I'll wake up and show you to skywalker. terrible. should have just cut R2 out of the picture until the ending. unless he sensed rey and that was what was necessary for the puzzle to be revealed...

Characters and action rocked though, han/finn humor is the best part about it all. And man that shot of han/ben on the bridge is fantastic. nice and dark, love how his face is lighted in red too before he kills his father.

hopefully the next one is more unique. and there are no seeds planted here for leia or han being aware of rey's family connection. if she is a skywalker they certainly never knew going by what was shown on film.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
fun movie. death star 3.0 is such a tired idea though (death planet if we're being more accurate) especially when it gets to that mission briefing scene. for the love of god don't do death star 4: death galaxy or some shit in episode 9. you don't have to do it anymore. They even have a scene where somebody mentions "so it's another death star" and poe's like "no it's not" and then draws up the comparison and it's the exact same thing lmao, just bigger

I wonder if the big bad threat in Episode IX is actually gonna be some galaxy-ending cosmic force magic shenanigans

there are no seeds planted here for leia or han being aware of rey's family connection. if she is a skywalker they certainly never knew going by what was shown on film.

Sure they did. With Han being asked who Rey is and them cutting away, the whole lightsaber choosing her (didn't know that was a thing btw), han immediately offering her a job after learning her name and leia hugging a random girl instead of consoling Chewie. Plenty of hints there, they both acted like they knew more than they were letting on. Also the whole kylo ren and rey interrogation scene being creepy just feels like a callback to star wars history with incestous moments.

Also I can't take Kylo Ren serious, dude looks too much like an angsty andy samburg

Also, Kylo Ren's fake twitter account
https://twitter.com/KyloR3n

this is great. some of the audience didn't respond well to adam driver's face when he was revealed but man i get edward scissorhands as a sith vibes from him, i think it really suits the dark side.

edit: the job offer could just be because he's so impressed by her knowledge of the falcon, and the hug is because she's the new female face of the franchise.

The more I think about this movie and the rest of the Star Wars universe the more it bothers me that the spin-off films are all based on the OT. KOTOR movie plz

I wonder if the big bad threat in Episode IX is actually gonna be some galaxy-ending cosmic force magic shenanigans
If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Now we can imagine something powerful enough to destroy a whole star system. Ball's in your court, old fart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom