• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Now we can imagine something powerful enough to destroy a whole star system. Ball's in your court, old fart.

Well let's assume the SW galaxy is the same size as ours, that's 100 billion stars. If it took an hour to suck each star up, it'd take 11.5 million years to wipe them all out.

Mariolee

Is it true that Harrison Ford and
Hayden Christensen
are making an appearance in VIII? Flashback or Force Ghost or something?
Hayden Christensen
was in the artbook and was somewhat planned to make an appearance in VII. There is no word or rumor that he will be returning in VIII.

Snake

Hayden Christensen

No.

Or more specifically, there is no real confirmed information about the film. Pretty much everything being talked about now is made up rumors or theories.

Wtf... my friend says that this lightsaber battle was the worst... I I I just can't react. And he compared it to the PT duels... No I don't have this friend now.

The fight was weak. I don't have a comparison point, but everything led up to that moment in the film, and it was just...the setting was more impressive in the atmosphere it created. I wasn't expecting RAID-like fight scenes, but damn, it was boring.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Okay, so.
TFA > TPM > ANH > ESB > ROTJ > AOTC > ROTS
Yeah, yeah, i know, blasphemy. I was nine when TPM released and it was my first exposure to Star Wars. The nostalgia is strong in that one.

That was after the second viewing and some backstory. I left the first round pretty angry about they explained nothing about politics, now i'm OK.

Jakku Scavenging remains the highlight, but it's definitely the worst part of Ridley's performance - she can't carry a film alone.
The scene abou the Jakku scavenging, which is wordless, jumped into my top 5 GOAT scenes - so evocative. Three minutes, not a word, and i fucking want to know everything about that place.
I remain that Music is stronger than words

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
The fight was weak. I don't have a comparison point, but everything led up to that moment in the film, and it was just...the setting was more impressive in the atmosphere it created. I wasn't expecting RAID-like fight scenes, but damn, it was boring.

it really splits the fanbase. for me it was one of the top three fights >>

Mariolee

What it lacks in choreography it makes up for in emotion. That alone puts it above the prequel fights which were well choreographed but aside from the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight lacked enough emotion or ferocity for me to care.

The PT fights were horrible, just a bunch of dancing around with little actual fighting. The fight in TFA was much MUCH better.

Betty

Banned

So very wrong.

Seeing a lightsaber fight with meaning again was one of the highlights of the film.

The way the camera kept moving and keeping up with them, panning around, flowing and hurrying to follow the fight, especially with Rey v Kylo, gawd it was superb.

I'd rather watch TFA's saber duels a hundred times than any of the fights in the prequels.

And J.J should be commended on how infrequently he used the sabers, it gave them far more impact.

PK Gaming

Had I not seen promotional material that indicated that Rey was the main character, I would have thought Finn was supposed to be the main character instead, because real talk, he ends up getting the lion's share of screentime / development in the movie, lol.

I really like Rey, but Finn definitely made for the better protagonist I feel. He's naive, energetic, and green in a way that was reminiscent of Luke from the first 2 films and his backstory is more compelling. Hopefully they develop him further in the sequels.

jerry113

Banned
The fight itself isn't as important as what's led up to the fight and why those characters are fighting.

Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon Jin? What are our reasons to be invested in the outcome of that fight? General Grevious? Count Dooku? Who cares?

Smoolio

All the talk about the fights being choreographed skills vs emotion are stupid, why not both? thats what I'm hoping for once Kylo Ren and Rey level up.

My favorite part of the lightsaber fight was how they were cutting down the trees around them while fighting, it was very reminiscent of those classic samurai fights in bamboo groves where the bamboo get cut and falls over during the fight.

Even my work has real-time, off-site backup, and it's a tiny company.
Nobody's monitoring the single most important room in the building? It can't be that hard to draw a line between one of the only people with access to the shield room disappearing for a while and the shields going down.

Oh well, I've gone over how stupid that scene was a bazillion times in this thread. It's a great move otherwise, but that scene is so bad.
Their storage is probably somewhere else on the base.
And most likely anyone who would notice her deactivate the shilds died before they reported it

He is still pissed about that medal he didn't get.
truth
Review_PFHanSoloRebelHero_still.jpg

Hatchtag

Banned
Hayden Christensen

No confirmation, but since Yoda/Obi Wan appear to still be force ghosts, I assume Vader might be too.

holy fuck kylo's gonna be salty if Rey gets to see Vader as a force ghost before him

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I guess I missed it but why do people assume that Finn is force sensitive?

I assume from when Kylo stared at Finn after the Jakku village attack. When Phasma mentioned that a trooper had turned he immediately knew Finn's number, implying he had been keeping an eye on him. Would Kylo really give a shit about a random trooper's doubts if he wasn't force sensitive, especially given that Snoke wants Force users brought to him?

It could go either way.

Fliesen

Had I not seen promotional material that indicated that Rey was the main character, I would have thought Finn was supposed to be the main character instead, because real talk, he ends up getting the lion's share of screentime / development in the movie, lol.

I really like Rey, but Finn definitely made for the better protagonist I feel. He's naive, energetic, and green in a way that was reminiscent of Luke from the first 2 films and his backstory is more compelling. Hopefully they develop him further in the sequels.

they're both protagonists.

Finn's the protagonist of the Resistance vs. The First Order.
Rey's the protagonist of the "awakening of the force", jedi vs. dark jedi story thread.

Gonzalez

Banned
they're both protagonists.

Finn's the protagonist of the Resistance vs. The First Order.
Rey's the protagonist of the "awakening of the force", jedi vs. dark jedi story thread.
That shit never worked in Jedi, or the prequels. I have no idea why they'll try it again here?

KooopaKid

Banned
BTW, why is Han Solo smuggling those 3 extremely dangerous creatures that caused a massacre on a planet? To who? For a guy that was a member of the rebel alliance, it's morally wrong.

Aiii

So not worth it
BTW, why is Han Solo smuggling those 3 extremely dangerous creatures that caused a massacre on a planet? To who? For a guy that was a member of the rebel alliance, it's morally wrong.

Did you miss the whole part where he quit the rebel alliance after Ben turned to the dark side and he broke up with Leia explaining "I turned back to what I was good at"?

Smuggler's aren't supposed to be morally right :D

I assume from when Kylo stared at Finn after the Jakku village attack. When Phasma mentioned that a trooper had turned he immediately knew Finn's number, implying he had been keeping an eye on him. Would Kylo really give a shit about a random trooper's doubts if he wasn't force sensitive, especially given that Snoke wants Force users brought to him?

It could go either way.
I personally dont think he was aware of Finn because of that, just that he saw his reaction to the massacre at the start of the film and realised that something was up. He also wasnt trusting of the trained stormtroopers as we see he was suggesting that the general guy switch to clones for a more obedient and capable army.

Novice light saber users against someone who is heavily wounded. What did you really expect? It was a good fight for what it was. However if we eventually get 2 force users fighting 1 on 1 at their peak condition I expect more.

Novice light saber users against someone who is heavily wounded. What did you really expect? It was a good fight for what it was. However if we eventually get 2 force users fighting 1 on 1 at their peak condition I expect more.
The thing to remember is that while Rey may have been a rookie with a lightsabre, she wasnt a rookie when it came to using melee weapons. We saw her being quite adapt with her staff, so surely some of those skills would be transferable? Add that with her natural ability with the force (As seen with her first flying the falcon to react quickly and precisely) and the idea that she could stand up against someone who is badly injured, distracted, holding back isnt a reach.

Hell, as others said she was on the run through most of the fight and only gained the upper hand at the end.

Really cant understand the complaints for the fight, some people just arent willing/able to think of things critically and in context.

harrison ford is going through a bunch of these nostalgic sequels now

indiana jones 4 was shit and honestly he wasn't very exciting in the role, but this was much better and it was great to once again see a very fun and rejuvenated harrison ford. felt like the first time he gave a shit in more than a decade.

i bet the blade runner sequel ends up being his best movie in a long time eclipsing this as well. and it's good to know that he still has something left in him.

Gonzalez

Banned
They were still way more involved with the Imperials than Luke was for 90% of that movie.
But it was more about character moments, and less about action set pieces that Jedi & PT were focused on.

I just hope they honestly slow it down, and really build the characters this time around. Because right now they are just amnesia characters 1 & 2.

pringles

Flying spin attack wasn't really what I'm wanting in regards to skills. They got the raid guys on board; use them to show max level Rey please. (also give her a staff saber cause reasons)
I think the point is that this is Kylo and Rey at a pretty low level. Kylo has some moves but he's not a master. Rey isn't very gifted at all. And Finn has no clue how to use a saber.

If they had wild, crazy choreography in this one they'd have nowhere to go. So this fight being 'simple' makes sense both in terms of story and in terms of leaving room for progression throughout the trilogy. I'm sure by Ep.9 there will be a lot more advanced stuff going on in the fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom