• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

my interpretation of finn is that he is somewhat force sensitive, but not as strong with it as rey was. he's more like leia in that respect. probably because he's leia's and lando's kid.

She knew about Obi-Wan Kenobi from her adoptive father Bail Organa who met him in the PT. She didn't know about "Ben Kenobi", although it's fair to assume that Luke or Han must have told her about that nickname inbetween the movies.

When Luke enters Leia's cell in ANH he says he's with Ben Kenobi. The weird thing is Leia doesn't question the Ben part, she just assumes it's Obi-Wan. I'm guessing Kenobi isn't very common.

Has this been posted? A projector in a theatre broke down, and in attempts to fix it, they skip ahead to later parts of the film. Crowd gets pissed. Understandably so, enough to ruin the entire experience

So close. Four minutes off. Imagine if they posted like right underneath each other lol.

Yeah that would suck hard, the only movie that ever glitched out for me was one the Fast and Furious movies I think it was Fast Five? No idea. But they didn't fast forward, they reweinded and we were kay. Although they couldn't fix it so they just moved us to another room.

Blader

Obi-Wan is the one who brought Luke, Han and Leia together in the first place, and it was his sacrifice that helped them escape the Death Star at all.

Kylo is a big baby and him getting all flustered with his wound after Chewie wrecked his shit followed by Rey ignoring his force mind fuckery then wailling on him was wonderful. I really liked the climatic fight. Good choreography, characters, and presentation, like the saber glows illuminating clouds of kicked up snow.

I also liked how the overall climax grew progressively darker as the nearby sun was leached of energy. Nice visual detail.

Kylo struck me as the rich kid who is trying to be gangsta. He waters the clothes, talks the talk, even has the moves. He didn't have the scars of Vader and even his mask was scarred and worn with his voice modulated but his actual self was normal. His journey this film made him from a Vader poser to who his own thing.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
To be frank the name Ben was kind of stupid. Han barely knew the guy, and it's not even Obi-Wan's real name, just some fake name he made while hiding (and didn't change his last name lol). Heck, he had even forgotten his name used to be Obi-Wan.
The name suggestion could have come from Luke for all we know. I didn't find it stupid at all.

sphagnum

Banned
So that was Rakata Prime from KOTOR right?

It looked a lot like it, especially similar to how they land the Ebon Hawk on the beach and walk up the cliffs.

Could be, could be Tython, could be something new. There was a galactic map published recently that interestingly had Rakata Prime listed on it, as well as the other TFA planets (Hosnian Prime, Starkiller Base, Jakku, Takodana, D'Qar), and Rakata Prime has shown up in nothing else in the new canon sooo....

To be frank the name Ben was kind of stupid. Han barely knew the guy, and it's not even Obi-Wan's real name, just some fake name he made while hiding (and didn't change his last name lol). Heck, he had even forgotten his name used to be Obi-Wan.

Han started believing in the force. He told Ben that it was mumbo jumbo in episode 4. Its a tribute I think. Nice callback.

jett

D-Member
So close. Four minutes off. Imagine if they posted like right underneath each other lol.

Yeah that would suck hard, the only movie that ever glitched out for me was one the Fast and Furious movies I think it was Fast Five? No idea. But they didn't fast forward, they reweinded and we were kay. Although they couldn't fix it so they just moved us to another room.

Only time something like this has happened to me was with TDKR. They mistakenly started playing the Spanish dub version. People were hollering, whistling and saying all kinds of dumb shit in exaggerated spaniard accents. They fixed it rather quickly though.

LionPride

Banned
Kylo's character is really good. Under better direction and writing Hayden's Anakin could've been the same. He's an angsty teenager with power done right. I said it once and I'll say it again, the boy prays to Vader's mask. Just amazing

PBalfredo

Gary Stus get shit all the time. That's why it's thing. Perfect characters in general just aren't a good thing, regardless of gender.

Mary Sues and Gary Stus usually suck. Sometimes they work, but that depends on what kind story is told. James Bond and Ethan Hunt for example, are Gary Stus that headline major blockbuster action movies in which the entire premise is that they are super spies that can pretty do and get away with everything. We go into those movies expecting and WANTING them to be awesome badasses at every turn and getting their way.

Sooooo... Gary Stus get shit all the time, except for all the times that they don't get shit but that's okay because reasons.

m5TcvxY.jpg
K80trRh.jpg
0pyQeE9.jpg

Pictured above: Awesome badasses, perfect in every way. Just like we (the male dominated audience) want them to be. Number of criticisms of them dismissing them as being shallow author-inserts: zero

Pictured above: The new lead in a Star Wars movie that female fans can identify with that doesn't involve the use of golden bikinis. Able to learn on the fly in desperate situations and manages to overcome a male villain who is severely injured, temperamental and emotionally devastated.

What a fucking Mary Sue.

my interpretation of finn is that he is somewhat force sensitive, but not as strong with it as rey was. he's more like leia in that respect. probably because he's leia's and lando's kid.

God no. The "he must be related to the other black dude" would be disastrous.

On his force sensitivity there are hints that could go either way. He literally had an awakening in the opening scene and the same force sound was playing during his conflict. Others later on too but it is open ended.

Pet theory that will likely be debunked by blu-ray behind the scenes shit but:

When Kylo goes for the Hail Mary with his bullshit "You need a TEACHER!" attempt to talk his way out of the asswhuppin he's receiving?

And Rey closes her eyes at the edge of the cliff during the saber clash?

You're probably supposed to be hearing Maz Kanata's words from earlier in the movie (that got cut from earlier in the movie, unfortunately, and only ended up in the trailer) echoing in her head, saying "The Force is calling to you. Just let it in."

And then she lets it in.

And if that's not how it was supposed to go then I have a suggested change for the Special Edition idea that Star Wars fans have suddenly come back around on.

edit: OH, and also, my last episode as a regular on Full of Sith is up now.

Frog-fu

Banned
Whatever comes next, I am sure we can all agree the success or failure of Episode VIII hinges on whether or not we get more Finn and Poe bromance, right?

Right?

sphagnum

Banned
When Luke enters Leia's cell in ANH he says he's with Ben Kenobi. The weird thing is Leia doesn't question the Ben part, she just assumes it's Obi-Wan. I'm guessing Kenobi isn't very common.

I'm sure that Bail would have informed her that Obi-Wan is using "Ben" as an alias. Could have even come up when mentioning the Clone Wars since he used it before.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kylo's character is really good. Under better direction and writing Hayden's Anakin could've been the same. He's an angsty teenager with power done right. I said it once and I'll say it again, the boy prays to Vader's mask. Just amazing

Yeah loved all the scenes with him, shows what people who know what they're doing can do compared to Lucas.

Blunoise

I like this list. I was really not a fan of his character all that much in the movie, he was too excitable (understandably so with him defecting from the first order but it is star wars) . He needs more fleshing out and something like this would help immensely. Especially because it also would showcase a deeper side of Poe versus him just being the best pilot and there to save the day. I would also love to see Finn get Jedi training from Luke and have two Jedi in the "trio" (if it becomes that) with Poe holding down the Solo/Organa role of old.

That sounds good! but i was hoping that he leaves on a self -discovery journey before finding out he may have the force

Lando wishes. He was trying to convince Han and Chewie to run the train on Leia as soon as they landed in Cloud City.

1421215211361.jpg

LionPride

Banned

When Kylo goes for the Hail Mary with his bullshit "You need a TEACHER!" attempt to talk his way out of the asswhuppin he's receiving?

You're probably supposed to be hearing Maz Kanata's words from earlier in the movie (that got cut from earlier in the movie, unfortunately, and only ended up in the trailer) echoing in her head, saying "The Force is calling to you. Just let it in."

And then she lets it in.

And if that's not how it was supposed to go then I have a suggested change for the Special Edition idea that Star Wars fans have suddenly come back around on.
That really makes sense, having her just focus and use the force is fine, but hearing Lupita's line would've been even better

KooopaKid

Banned
- movie time. ' Starkiller is going to activate in 10 minutes!!!!'. <Solo and crew run across miles of distance, climb all over that reactor, put bombs on every other column, Rey and Finn find and pull a door fuse then climb up a tall ladder for viewpoint reasons, Han confronts son, etc etc etc.> :/

Yeah the entire ending was bullshit because of this. The X-wings didn't matter one bit. The sense of urgency wasn't there. The whole Death Star 3.0 idea was useless.

giga

can you stop this nonsense. finn is ventress and windu's spawn

MrHoot

I'm guessing also as the movies goes on that all the remaining old cast will eventually pass the torch to their newer coutnterpart. We already have Han's death who kinda gives the reins to Rey (and maybe later Poe). Luke will probably also pass on unto Rey or Finn, or even Ren too at some point. Leia will also maybe just bestow her responsibility to Finn or Poe. Ren is the wild card as he can go anywhere from this point still

Toa TAK

Banned
Sooooo... Gary Stus get shit all the time, except for all the times that they don't get shit but that's okay because reasons.

Is Indy really one, though? Granted I should rewatch the films, but he's kinda incompetent at times. Like, doesn't Indiana Jones kinda fuck up by letting the Nazis get both The Ark and losing the Cup of the Carpenter? And the Soviets' Crystal Skull? Plus, he's a total pussy when it comes to snakes.

Cappa

Banned
does watching the animated series give any new information that I wouldn't know about just from watching all the movies?

I think I read the the cartoon is a time between Episode VI and VII ? Is that right?

And then she lets it in.

I kind of took the scene as Rey going into Kylo's mind and messing with him plus downloading some saber technique. I could be wrong but I think her technique changes up a bit after that moment.

jett

D-Member

And then she lets it in.

Too much of a callback to Obi-Wan's "Use the force, Luke" except Maz carries no meaning of any sort to Rey. Maz isn't even a Jedi. She's really just Exposition Character. Now that's one thing I bet never gets explained or brought up ever again, how she knows so much about everything.

And I think she said that line to her at the Not Cantina anyway, didn't she? Or maybe I imagined it. I'll say this much though, I was expecting the exact same thing to happen in that scene, considering the rest of the movie, haha.

PBalfredo

Is Indy really one, though? Granted I should rewatch the films, but he's kinda incompetent at times. Like, doesn't Indiana Jones kinda fuck up by letting the Nazis get both The Ark and losing the Cup of the Carpenter? And the Soviets' Crystal Skull? Plus, he's a total pussy when it comes to snakes.

Feel free to swap him out for Ethan Hunt, Jason Bourne or any number of other male leads in Hollywood movies that are impossibly capable but never deal with the title of Gary Sue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom