• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Indy really one, though? Granted I should rewatch the films, but he's kinda incompetent at times. Like, doesn't Indiana Jones kinda fuck up by letting the Nazis get both The Ark and losing the Cup of the Carpenter? And the Soviets' Crystal Skull? Plus, he's a total pussy when it comes to snakes.

It's been pointed out a lot how useless Indy is in Raiders. The Nazis would have melted their faces sooner or later anyway.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I wanna see it again tonight.

Does anymore remember those weird fucked up looking walker things that were shown for like 2 seconds? They were pretty far away.

dork

Banned
Can someone post that post about the scene they may have cut out with Kylo ren being talked to about Vader being weak and not being able to kill family

Is Indy really one, though? Granted I should rewatch the films, but he's kinda incompetent at times. Like, doesn't Indiana Jones kinda fuck up by letting the Nazis get both The Ark and losing the Cup of the Carpenter? And the Soviets' Crystal Skull? Plus, he's a total pussy when it comes to snakes.
Yep, along with cap. The argument doesn't make much sense

Sooooo... Gary Stus get shit all the time, except for all the times that they don't get shit but that's okay because reasons.

Pictured above: Awesome badasses, perfect in every way. Just like we (the male dominated audience) want them to be. Number of criticisms of them dismissing them as being shallow author-inserts: zero

Pictured above: The new lead in a Star Wars movie that female fans can identify with that doesn't involve the use of golden bikinis. Able to learn on the fly in desperate situations and manages to overcome a male villain who is severely injured, temperamental and emotionally devastated.

What a fucking Mary Sue.
Um Indy isn't a Gary Stu.
He is clumsy at times
Has bad luck most of the time
He isn't a perfect aim or a perfect fighter.

examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SofTwyYi6Uo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLXdCntLHgI

MrHoot

I wonder if Mike will do the Plinkett review some months later, maybe after the dvd release. Although since it's far from being bad like the prequels it might just not be as interesting unless it's just gonna be comparisons.

Also Disney might just be pricks and do a lot of copyright strikes if he uses movie footage :(

Leonsito

I saw it yesterday and loved it. I know a lot of people complain about all the coincidences, like having the falcon on Jakku, and as soon as it enters the space Solo and Chewie are the ones to capture it... It reminded me of a certain moment in JJ's Star Trek, but well, it was all for the fun, and the movie was fun. Great action scenes and x-wing vs tie battles, melee fights were fantastic and overall liked all the actions, I think they nailed the cast of Rey and Kylo.

I only had two problems with the movie:

- Captain Phasma: how easy she turned off the planet shields, I mean, you are a fucking captain, that means you have proven your loyalty and bravery, you should die before letting anyone have any chance of destroying your entire army, instead, a kid points to you with a weapon and you obey without blinking an eye.

- How easy Leia and Chewie went over Han death :(

And two other minor things I didn't like: I didn't think they were going all the way to destroying the Starkiller planet, a bit of a waste of a setup and resources, and Luke dessapearing after failing with Kylo's Jedi training. Instead of dealing with it, he just ran and hide (I suppose in Ep VIII we will get more detailes on this).

The anger of the people arguing against the Mary Sue thing is really weird. Is it really so unimaginable that a PG-13 kids-friendly fantasy romp didn't have the most nuanced/believable writing ever? Are you sure it's sexist to complain about flimsy female characters and not feminist? Why, exactly, are you so mad?

Brakke

Banned
Pictured above: Awesome badasses, perfect in every way. Just like we (the male dominated audience) want them to be. Number of criticisms of them dismissing them as being shallow author-inserts: zero

This premise is bunk. Lots of people think Captain America and James Bond are over-powerful boring clowns. Most recently, in the Spectre thread bunches of people rolled eyes at Bond, especially his #360noscope accuracy in Blofeld's base.

Millions of people straight up don't care about Marvel heroes because they're one-dimensional power fantasies. If you aren't seeing those criticisms maybe it's because those people have wrote those movies off years ago.

Toa TAK

Banned
Feel free to swap him out for Ethan Hunt, Jason Bourne or any number of other male leads in Hollywood movies that are impossibly capable but never deal with the title of Gary Sue.
That's fine. I just get a laugh because I always think about something like the very beginning of the film and the end of Raiders. All that hard work for nothing.
It's been pointed out a lot how useless Indy is in Raiders. The Nazis would have melted their faces sooner or later anyway.

True.

Luigi87

I don't even remember Han being very close to Obi Wan or having all that much dialog with him

Guess I should rewatch ANH again.

They didn't really interact much at all, but if it wasn't for Obi-Wan talking to Chewie and deciding to hire Han, then Han and Leia would never have met.

does watching the animated series give any new information that I wouldn't know about just from watching all the movies?

I think I read the the cartoon is a time between Episode VI and VII ? Is that right?

do you mean rebels? no, its between 3 and 4

Frog-fu

Banned
This is reasonable and sensible and I like it.

Oh my god, can we get you as a story consultant? Love it!

I like this list. I was really not a fan of his character all that much in the movie, he was too excitable (understandably so with him defecting from the first order but it is star wars) . He needs more fleshing out and something like this would help immensely. Especially because it also would showcase a deeper side of Poe versus him just being the best pilot and there to save the day. I would also love to see Finn get Jedi training from Luke and have two Jedi in the "trio" (if it becomes that) with Poe holding down the Solo/Organa role of old.

Also, Poe has to be there where Finn decides not to meet with his family. Because A) Finn couldn't get there or go back on his own since he's a terrible pilot, and B) Poe is his bro fo'sho'.

I'd rather Finn not find his past, like he can search and hit a dead end. Have the film make him define himself by who he wants to be, not where he's from.

Well, the idea isn't that Finn defines himself by where he comes from. It's that - being raised the way he was, without a family - he wants to know where he comes from, and as it turns out he's just comes from an ordinary family. No magical lineage, no legendary ancestors, or royalty or whatever. He's just a guy from an ordinary family that were oppressed and robbed of their son. In realising that he wants to protect his family from afar, Finn also decides that he wants to do the right thing for the right reasons for everyone.

What stood out to me in TFA is that Finn really didn't give a fuck about anyone that he didn't feel any attachment to. He lied and manipulated to get himself out of harm's way and really endangered himself for Rey. He only looks after himself and the people he cares for, that's his code - and it's great he has one - but it's not really heroic. What about the other countless lives he could have tried to save?

That's why I think it would be so fitting for Finn to having that moment of clarity and new purpose of looking out for everyone because if his family had someone like that then maybe his life would have turned out differently. That renewed purpose and determination is what would make him an asset to the Resistance and/or a great Jedi.

MrHoot

I'm reiterating but I wouldn't call Rey exactly a Mary Sue...mostly because her strong moments (mostly against Ren) were really really good.

For me it was just that out of all the main new characters (except probably Poe), she gets the less real development but is pushed the hardest. I don't really know more about Rey at the end of the movie that I did at the beginning in regards to her character or backstory.

I'm still very interested in what will happen to her and I still liked her character a lot. But a lot of her interest comes from having powers or her association with luke. The training will hopefully bring her out more as a person as it did for luke in episode 5 as it was one of the best parts of Empire Strikes back..

And I think that's fair to say in a movie mostly driven by character development first rather than just dumb action like in James Bond without immediately labeled a sexist. However I do think the character was still completely fine. Just wished we had a bit more to back all her skills and importance just to solidify her a bit more

inm8num2

I still call her Raz Kanata.

3V1N4rF.png

Glass

Feel free to swap him out for Ethan Hunt, Jason Bourne or any number of other male leads in Hollywood movies that are impossibly capable but never deal with the title of Gary Sue.

Rey goes from a scavenger to doing all the amazing things she's never done before. Jason Bourne was a trained killer from the moment we see him. If Jason Bourne was some car mechanic who then proceeded to outmatch and kill all the highly trained assassins sent after him, then people would probably start questioning it. I like Rey a lot, she might be my favourite character, I wanted more of her and the new lot and less of the old, but the complaints have nothing to do with her being a female. Leia could handle herself and you don't see the same criticisms aimed her way.

When Han told Finn "A woman always finds out", did that mean that Han knew Finn was lying about being a member of the Resistance? It's kinda fitting because Han was also a traitor, what with him defecting from the Empire after he refused to execute Chewie.

Frog-fu

Banned
When Han told Finn "A woman always finds out", did that mean that Han knew Finn was lying about a member of the Resistant? It's kinda fitting because Han was also a traitor, what with him defecting from the Empire after he refused to execute Chewie.

Yes, lol. Han can smell a bullshitter from a mile away.

Finn has a lot to learn.

LionPride

Banned
I really want Finn and Rey's parents to not matter in the slightest. Just have Rey's parents be deadbeats and Finn's parents to be some couple on a planet who he watches over if he finds out who they are

Who said anything about necessary?

You won't find me taking issue with subtlety when it is there, is all I'm saying. Plenty about the movie was cool enough. I didn't need a repeated voice over telling me what's happening in that scene.

But it being New Hope was not neccessary at all yet it works. Them using Lupita's line would'vd been unneccessary, but probably would've worked

And I didn't think it was ANH so there's that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Disliking Maz should be forbidden.

The one thing I struggle with this movie is Rey's sudden abilities with the force, and it just occured to me how they might have been able to explain it slightly better. What if, when Rey touches Luke's lightsaber for the first time, the flashback happens, then when it's over, they cut to Rey still holding the lightsaber, but levitating dozens of Maz's antiquities around her, then she suddenly realizes she's doing it, and they all drop to the floor? Then Maz is standing at the doorway, having witnessed it. Such a scene could have indicated that Rey suddenly unleashed something inside her when she experienced the flashback, which was hinted at, but was not obvious. Maybe it would be overkill, but I would've liked it.

MrBadger

I've seen it twice now and I actually liked it a lot more on the second viewing. I suppose it's because I knew what I was going into so I was able to judge it for what it was rather than being skeptical because of how often it rhymes with ANH like poetry.

The destruction of Starkiller Base bothers me less than it did on the first round, but I won't be happy if they have another one in a few episodes like what they did with the Death Star, which was only blown up since they weren't sure if there would be more.

I'll say a nice thing about Phantom Menace and say that the Death Star equivalent that they blew up wasn't bigged up to be the ultimate weapon or directly compared to the Death Star the same way Starkiller Base was. But hey, this stuff didn't bother me while I was watching it. Only when I think about it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The anger of the people arguing against the Mary Sue thing is really weird. Is it really so unimaginable that a PG-13 kids-friendly fantasy romp didn't have the most nuanced/believable writing ever? Are you sure it's sexist to complain about flimsy female characters and not feminist? Why, exactly, are you so mad?

Twas just about to post this, myself.

jett

D-Member
I really want Finn and Rey's parents to not matter in the slightest. Just have Rey's parents be deadbeats and Finn's parents to be some couple on a planet who he watches over if he finds out who they are

You bet your ass Rey's lineage will come into play immediately in Episode VIII.

btw. Did Rey cut off Rens hand? or was it part of the lightsaber?

I think it was the Lightsaber. That ending wasn't shot or edited very well. It's weird.

You won't find me taking issue with subtlety

I'm not suggesting the scene is too subtle as it is. I'm suggesting it's not cool enough.

Again, necessity has nothing to do with this. Need isn't a component at all. It could have been a cooler scene, and it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom