• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaspora

I've seen it 4 times. It seriously keeps getting better. Mind you I acknowledge many of the faults (story retread, Finn's programming mysteriously going awry, artoo mysteriously turning on, though apparently that was explained in the book, etc) but overall the movie was as good as i was hoping, and honestly better than it needed to be to get the Star Wars train wreck back on track. Loving the whole experience of this. Takes me back to seeing the OT in the theaters when they were released.

IIRC, even during training Finn had issues with Phasma with regards to his level of empathy. Since he'd never actually gone through a simulation involving mass murder (just battles), it's not unreasonable for him to start doubting.

Toa TAK

Banned
JF-REY-Kaz-Gear-1.jpg

Metal Gear finding its way back into Star Wars yet again.

My favorite scene in the movie was Rey force pulling and lighting up Luke's lightsaber. It's amazing the power that music has, as that is my favorite mostly because of the music.

And it's not even on the score. It's on IV's.

RoKKeR

I love how brutal they were. You could feel the pain. When Kylo turned his crossguard so the little saber thing would touch Finn, I was feeling the pain holy shit

Yes, that instantly became one of my favorite light saber fights... top 3 easily. It was incredibly tense and like you said, it looked absolutely brutal. The sound design, sparks, forest background... damn it was good.

I also love Kylo's force powers. (when they work) Stopping Poe's blaster round in the begging of the movie and completely freezing him there left me with an "oh shit, this dude is legit" feeling. I hope we get more of his back story in the next film.

Korey

It's called a conscience. Regret.
"being drawn to the light" = "i don't think i can do any of this abhorrent shit anymore, i'm disgusted by my own actions"

Kylo Ren specifically says "I'm being seduced by the light!" in the movie.

read above. Vader was "Seduced" by the light.. aka his feelings for his son in pain. Seduced may be a silly word to us (how do you "seduce" someone into something good?) but remember... to a Dark side wielder, it is a seduction. The dark side is where they want to be, and it's falling to improper feelings that is pulling them out.

It's all about how you present it. Vader wasn't "seduced" by the light. He had a spark of good in him, and had obvious emotions for his son and redeemed himself in a moment of weakness. That's it.

Being "seduced by the light" makes sense in theory if you look at Jedi/Sith being two equal sides fighting for power, BUT in practice it's lame as fuck and you shouldn't put it into a movie unless you can dress it up correctly. Because it comes across as really lame.

Saw it tonight, really absorbing at times...the only immediate negatives were the rehashing of previous themes (father/son, star destroyers) and the inclusion of the old favourites.

Han Solo looked drunk throughout and the historical Princess Leigh emotional heartstrings thing just seemed so vapid and forced.

The rest of the casting was excellent. Kylo was a revelation, a true successor to Lord Vader.

And hated the ending.

And it's not even on the score. It's on IV's.

For sure haha. That's why I had to slog Williams in my review. When the most memorable scene in the movie is blasting out to a great theme from 40 years ago, your score has problems.

I didn't notice until second viewing, but they peppered in some of Rey's theme at this moment. It was subtle and beautiful. A damn shame it doesn't have an official release.

Solo

Oh and one other thing I really loved about the aesthetic was the ruins of OT era walkers and starships littering Jakku. Loved that.

Isn't coming up with heavily expository explanations one of the things people hate about the PT?

Stormtrooper programming is meant to be perfect. Finn is an exception. That's it. Move on.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
My favorite scene in the movie was Rey force pulling and lighting up Luke's lightsaber. It's amazing the power that music has, as that is my favorite mostly because of the music.

this is the most iconic shot in the entire movie, and up there with Obi-Wan holding his lightsaber up, Luka and Vader in the throne room, Yoda on Luke's back on Dagobah.. This single scene even on my 4th time viewing STILL sends shivers down my spine. This scene is the one scene in the movie that definitively cries you "you're home. hope you didn't miss us."

I've waited 32 years for this shot.. and the biggest disappointment of the prequels is that they NEVER gave us a shot anywhere near this. Yet Abrams does it on his first try.

Sojgat

What is up with everyone wanting so many explanations. Some of you sound like people that whine about the Souls games not holding your hands.

They told us enough to make a solid enjoyable film. It's good that they didn't hit you over the head with why every little plot point was happening. That would have been super lame. R2 waking up felt right to me and it engaged my imagination. And it was absolutely not just some random convenient shit - there were subtle hints dropped in the film regarding this.

People are just used to modern movies explaining everything as if the audience are stupid and have no imagination.

VAD

Finn was the best. He is the only one who has no legacy to drive him and no special power to help him and yet chooses to give a shit. It's sad he isn't rewarded for his bravery at the end with Rey leaving while he is still inconsious.

My issue isn't with fighting to stay with the darkside, just describing it as a seduction as idiotic.

The Supreme Leader teaches Kylo that sentimentality was Vader's flaw in fully realizing the power of the Dark Side. So those feelings of affection and love for family and friends are "seductive" to Ren by pulling him away from his path. It's an odd distinction because hate and anger are equal sentiments for people; perhaps Supreme Leader is just feeding Kylo whatever BS will feed his weaknesses and keep him on the dark side.

I would've rather seen this taken to the extreme and have the new boss villain actually be a powerful rogue droid who teaches a dark version of zen buddhism, where any kind of sentiment and emotion is a flaw and you can only realize your true power through logic and unattached ruthlessness.

So did no one else besides Luke knew that Anakin became good at the end of his life? Kylo seems to look up to Vader as a role model, you'd think he knew about that aspect of his grandfathers life.

sphagnum

Banned

I'm pretty sure he actually doesn't and this is just going to turn into a line that people believe is in the movie but really isn't, like "Luke, I am your father". I was waiting for it the whole time on my second watch through and as far as I can tell, people are conflating two different lines:

"Because of your guidance, I will not be seduced."
and
"I feel the call to the light!"

The concept is there, but I didn't notice any one actual line where he said that he's being "seduced by the light".

Fliesen

That should be as she's pushing back from the cliff's edge, if I'm remembering it correctly.

MAYBE I should see this movie again.

You got it my man.

nah, that one's most definitely the moment she grabs the sword
10 seconds of attempted force pull, *reveal* it's in Rey's hands. -> Duel

i've seen it 5 times now.

this is the most iconic shot in the entire movie, and up there with Obi-Wan holding his lightsaber up, Luka and Vader in the throne room, Yoda on Luke's back on Dagobah.. This single scene even on my 4th time viewing STILL sends shivers down my spine. This scene is the one scene in the movie that definitively cries you "you're home. hope you didn't miss us."

I've waited 32 years for this shot.. and the biggest disappointment of the prequels is that they NEVER gave us a shot anywhere near this. Yet Abrams does it on his first try.

i agree with everything you said. except for the number of years. It's been like 22 for me. you old fart :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

It's all about how you present it. Vader wasn't "seduced" by the light. He had a spark of good in him, and had obvious emotions for his son and redeemed himself in a moment of weakness. That's it.

Being "seduced by the light" makes sense in theory if you look at Jedi/Sith being two equal sides fighting for power, BUT in practice it's lame as fuck and you shouldn't put it into a movie unless you can dress it up correctly. Because it comes across as really lame.

It makes perfect sense for someone who thinks the dark side is the good one to claim the light side is trying to seduce him. Being seduce = losing control. If he said the dark side is seductive, it would diminish the dark side as a sort of trick.

What is up with everyone wanting so many explanations. Some of you sound like people that whine about the Souls games not holding your hands.

They told us enough to make a solid enjoyable film. It's good that they didn't hit you over the head with why every little plot point was happening. That would have been super lame. R2 waking up felt right to me and it engaged my imagination. And it was absolutely not just some random convenient shit - there were subtle hints dropped in the film regarding this.

My issue with Rey's lineage is that the movie is being deliberately coy about it. Having all the character know something and the audience not is irritating.

sphagnum

Banned
are the prequels included in the new canon?

Yes, the new canon is the original 6 movies + The Clone Wars animated series and film (the 3D ones, not the 2D microseries), plus anything released since spring 2014 unless otherwise specified as "Legends" or non-canonical, like the Fantasy Flight Games RPG stuff.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Speaking of the OST, the music playing during Starkiller's destruction is pretty sweet. First minute of the track Farewell.

Toa TAK

Banned
So did no one else besides Luke knew that Anakin became good at the end of his life? Kylo seems to look up to Vader as a role model, you'd think he knew about that aspect of his grandfathers life.

Because he's a dumbass:

The novelization implies that he knows exactly what happened but considers Vader's sacrifice to be a momentary lapse in judgment due to emotion in an otherwise exemplary career.

The novelization answers that. He knows, he just sees Anakin and Vader as different. Like how Ben Solo is dead and only Kylo Ren remains.

JJ revealed that Ben is absolutely aware of Vader's turn, but he idolizes Anakin's dark side. He views Vader's turn as a moment of weakness and that he was seduced by the light, which is why Ben is so afraid of being seduced by the light. It's why he killed his father. Killing his own family was a line that his idol could never cross, and I'm sure Ben believes that he's surpassed Vader now.

Alebrije

Hope Kylo develops as a darker stronger villian, it seems this will happens on next movie. He felt like a mix of weak/solid villian. When he took off his mask a lot of the villian image was lost but I think this is was intentionally done in order to develop the character on a darker side for next movie so fans can see that development.

traveler

Not Wario
Is John Williams doing the score for VIII and IX? He kinda needs to step it up after this one. Easily the worst of the 7 in the music department.

In the novelization, Kylo and Snoke discuss something to the effect of "don't have a moment of weakness like Vader did".

Someone brought it up yesterday when discussing things the movie could have explained/told better.

It does bring up the question of how did Snoke know. Wrinkles was dead, Vader was extra well done at that point, the only person who knew of Anakin's turn who left that throne room was Luke. Who did he tell and how did it get to Snooki?

Brakke

Banned

He knows. That's what the seduction of the Light thing is about. Vader is a great role model for bringing power and order to the galaxy but he failed in his last moment. Ren sees Vader's turn as succumbing a weakness he doesn't want to allow himself. "I will finish what you started" or whatever. Ren wants to get to where Vader was and then succeed where his grandfather failed.

Boke1879

IDK to me it comes off and shows how truly fucked up Kylo is. HE WANTS to be evil. He wants to surpass Vader. I get what you mean, but I think it works here. He sees the light as weakness. Something holding him back, but at the same time he's seduced by it. Something inside is fighting back. But I think now the he killed his father he's completely that hump.

Makoto

No one seems to be asking why Anakin (who is capable of being a Force ghost) didn't just appear to Kylo himself and tell him what was up.

But the disappearance of the Force ghosts is probably a crucial plot point and will be explained in future movies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Is John Williams doing the score for VIII and IX? He kinda needs to step it up after this one. Easily the worst of the 7 in the music department.

Probably

...if he still can, that is.

So... Did they destroy Coruscant? After the fall of the Empire that would be the capital of the New Republic, right?
Not Coruscant, but the capital of the Republic nonetheless.

Fliesen

My issue with Rey's lineage is that the movie is being deliberately coy about it. Having all the character know something and the audience not is irritating.

wait, who knows about it?

Rey doesn't. The audience doesn't. BB8 doesn't. Kylo Ren / Han / Leia don't seem to.

Not even Maz Kanata makes it seem like she does know more than what Rey's eyes tell her.

Luke might, and he'll tell us ... in 2017.

No one seems to be asking why Anakin (who is capable of being a Force ghost) didn't just appear to Kylo himself and tell him what was up.

But the disappearance of the Force ghosts is probably a crucial plot point and will be explained in future movies.

Seeing as Leia didn't seem to be seeing the same 3 ghosts Luke was seeing at the end of RotJ, who knows if you can even talk to someone you never knew.
(If she had seen the 3 ghosts, she sure as hell wouldn't have gone all 'hey Luke, have a beer with us, you can talk TO YOUR FATHER AND YOUR TWO MENTORS LATER')

i don't think a "force ghosts" can just visit anyone. There needs to be a strong personal bond between the 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom