• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* The Walking Dead TV show, leaks, and comic book SPOILER discussion thread

They couldn't keep what was supposed to be the biggest moment in the show's history under wraps. We'll know by May(June at the latest)
amc has everyone fooled first Abraham sent out those tweets to Eugene about nice working with you during filming then the leaked photos of Glenn hugging cast members all of it was to cause a stir I'm betting they'll let the victim walk around set just to cause confusion

amc has everyone fooled first Abraham sent out those tweets to Eugene about nice working with you during filming then the leaked photos of Glenn hugging cast members all of it was to cause a stir I'm betting they'll let the victim walk around set just to cause confusion

Do you honestly think someone whos getting fired is going to help trick the audience?

AMC isn't smart enough to do that. They can't even release a promo without it unintentionally spoiling something (the fate of the Vatos in the S2 trailer, Charlie appearing in FTWD S2). It will come out.

It's like you haven't read anything I've said.

Most people knew he was going to survive, as soon as the "death" in question happened, because there were set pics leaked at the beginning of the season showing Glenn interacting with the Jesus character, long before the latter had even been introduced in the show yet. Any sense of tension or drama around that cliffhanger was dead in the water immediately, despite AMC's attempts to claim otherwise. The exact same thing is going to happen here.

Well, it is and it's irrelevant. Set leaks occurred even before the advent of the internet.

The prevailing mood in this thread and the OT isn't "I want to come back for more". It's "fuck this shit".

I've read everything you've read. We simply disagree and I'm ok with that and can respect it. I know I'm in the minority.

I haven't had one thing spoiled for me for this show that I haven't actively gone out looking for.

DNAbro

The Glenn dumpster shit pissed me off WAY worse then this because there is no way he should've escaped from that. But I felt most people, including myself - knew he was going to survive. This is just...tension for me. I DONT know who's going to die and I like it.

If the internet weren't around and this was all limited to school/watercooler/family & friend conversations all summer about who it was, would you be as mad? if so, I feel like the internet is to be blamed, not a show for sticking to tried and true methods. The reason for cliffhangers is to keep you coming back for more.

I went to immediate anger after it happened. I was going to watch next season anyways. Killing off a major character would have made me way more excited for next season than waiting for the payoff. I'm not wondering who died cause we will know before it is revealed on TV.

Problem is that all the shock and suspense of it is kind of sucked out of that scene now. Unless they go totally crazy and kill Rick, people have got the next 6 months to ready themselves for any of those characters in the lineup dying. And given how spineless the showrunners/AMC have gotten it'll probably just be Aaron and they probably won't even show it.

I thought I'd sort of be ok with the cliffhanger but seeing it in the context of Negan's introduction and how they were building up that scene, to only have it end like it did is total garbage storytelling of the lowest order. This is some cheap Saturday morning cartoon BS. Hell, cartoons are better than this.

At this point they can kill whoever they want but people are expecting a brutal murder at this point so that's half of the shock of Negan's intro already wasted.

That's my opinion too. They'll get him out and keep the main cast safe.

Do you honestly think someone whos getting fired is going to help trick the audience?
Not like their Walking Dead career ends once they get off the show. Hell a lot of the dead character people are all still showing up at Comic Con, Walker Stalker Con, and other events making bank signing autographs and shit. I doubt it is a "You killed my character off and I hate you" kind of relationship.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Goddamn the whole episode was just filler, just like Sepinwall said. Negan's intro was absolutely fantastic, but Jesus h Christ. They dropped that ball so hard and so fast. Whatever advertising dollars they're getting out of this better get us a real goddamn tiger with a real goddamn tiger animatronic next season. Seriously. I know AMC is holding tight onto their penny purse like an old lady at the grocery store, but it's time to dig deep here.

That's my opinion too. They'll get him out and keep the main cast safe.

the backlash would be worse for Aaron imo
not only would it piss off the LBGT community even worse than before, but id bet it would cause most of the gaffers here to quit(myself included)
afterall if they cant kill off a main character when it counts why should we believe theyll ever do it?

Goddamn the whole episode was just filler, just like Sepinwall said. Negan's intro was absolutely fantastic, but Jesus h Christ. They dropped that ball so hard and so fast. Whatever advertising dollars they're getting out of this better get us a real goddamn tiger with a real goddamn tiger animatronic next season. Seriously. I know AMC is holding tight onto their penny purse like an old lady at the grocery store, but it's time to dig deep here.

The whole thing felt manipulative and cheap. The score, the complex plan, the editing and especially the fake-looking CGI at the end.

If it's true that they haven't actually thought up who the victim is going to be, that's even worse in my eyes.

It has to be a major character. Anything less and it risks coming off as the next-gen Moldavian Massacre from Dynasty (the cliffhanger that began the show's fall from grace). And that's going to be ruined anyway when spy pics come out and people start answering other poster's speculation with "see, X isn't dead".

wenis

The whole thing felt manipulative and cheap. The score, the complex plan, the editing and especially the fake-looking CGI at the end.

If it's true that they haven't actually thought up who the victim is going to be, that's even worse in my eyes.

It has to be a major character. Anything less and it risks coming off as the next-gen Moldavian Massacre from Dynasty (the cliffhanger that began the show's fall from grace). And that's going to be ruined anyway when spy pics come out and people start answering other poster's speculation with "see, X isn't dead".

never forget:

348n5dv.jpg

at least you can start narrowing it down by complexion and weight.

Not being all that knowledgeable with the comic series, is the show at risk with catching up to the comics? From what I've (quickly) read on Wikipedia, it seems the comics are not that far removed from
the death of Negan and the subsequent rise of "The Whisperers"
. I could see the Negan storyline going 2-3 seasons (any more than might could become a drag for some people). Though, I'm sure there's enough to take it further. The comics don't seem to be coming out at a fast enough pace, from what I can gather. I think in a few years, there might be a Game of Thrones-esque problem of where the show outpaces the book. I'm curious if Robert Kirkman has said if he has an end-goal in mind.

oh facebook huh?
interesting
that means even casuals are pissed
which means the ratings might actually take a hit for once

I'll have to chat with a coworker tomorrow about it. She's very much a casual viewer that watches mostly because she thinks Daryl is hot.

But she was even pissed off at Glenn's dumpster diving so I'm guessing she'll be upset about this.

Not being all that knowledgeable with the comic series, is the show at risk with catching up to the comics? From what I've (quickly) read on Wikipedia, it seems the comics are not that far removed from
the death of Negan and the subsequent rise of "The Whisperers"
. I could see the Negan storyline going 2-3 seasons (any more than might could become a drag for some people). Though, I'm sure there's enough to take it further. The comics don't seem to be coming out at a fast enough pace, from what I can gather. I think in a few years, there might be a Game of Thrones-esque problem of where the show outpaces the book. I'm curious if Robert Kirkman has said if he has an end-goal in mind.

Well, I don't think they'll run into a Game of Thrones type issue for a while. First off (spoilers for the comics up to present)
Negan doesn't die and is very much still alive and involved especially as of the most recent issue. But his main arc against Rick probably lasts all of season 7 I'd guess. Any longer and it will feel dragged out. Then the comics do a couple year time jump which I'll be curious if the show will follow cause the comics slow way down then leading up to the Whisperers arc they're into right now.
But the show being the show, they could drag things out a ton or condense it a ton, who knows.

As far as I can recall, Kirkman has very specifically said TWD is something that he doesn't have any end in mind with and could just keep going in perpetuity. Obviously the show will have to end some time, so I'd probably wager the comics will outlive the show, or at least things will get to the point where actors want out and so the show will make big changes.

I could see the Negan storyline going 2-3 seasons (any more than might could become a drag for some people).

I don't think they can war with Negan for that long because Enid and Carl. They can swap out Judith babies for ever, but Enid and Carl will age. Hell, if they haven't already shot the actual reveal, that may even be a problem for next season, with Carl there.

jaekeem

Love the comic series.

Probably done following the show.

Turning the most powerful moment from the comics into a cliffhanger...who the fuck is running this show? What a goddamn pack of morons. No more interest.

I don't think they can war with Negan for that long because Enid and Carl. They can swap out Judith babies for ever, but Enid and Carl will age. Hell, if they haven't already shot the actual reveal, that may even be a problem for next season, with Carl there.

Which is why I think they will eventually pass the comics and need to set its own path. Basically becoming different universes entirely. Besides, the TV show has veered in different paths already (characters dying/not dying, new characters, i.e. Daryl). I am curious though, provided it happens, if Kirkman becomes even more involved with the direction of the show.

wenis

I'm surprised no one has even mentioned yet the guys in armor. The power of the cliffhanger.
That was cute but yea, it's whatever. No one mentioned the kingdom, no one mentioned Ezekiel and no one mentioned my goddamn tiger.

All that's for next season to be drawn out over 3 seasons.

That was cute but yea, it's whatever. No one mentioned the kingdom, no one mentioned Ezekiel and no one mentioned my goddamn tiger.

With the way the shows going Ezekiel is going to have a chihuahua and even that will be a cliffhanger

LowParry

I am rather curious if they'll be able to do a tiger or not.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
watching bits of Hardwick's Facebook talk after TWD, and he brings up, as comparison to "not knowing what happens" to GOT Spoilers:
"What will happens to Jon Snow?" Oy. That's not a good comparison. We both see him get deaded pretty good, and whatever happens from there, it's post deaded.

Think I've seen 3 or 4 website reviewers talk as if this was the last straw for them.

Is TWD losing viewers? I think that's why did the cliffhanger. To get lot of viewers for next season. btw I think it was
Abraham. Wasn't he dead in the comics up to this point? I know he is dead in the comic books.

Lakitu

st5fu
Cliffhanger is such bullshit, can't believe they ruined such a fantastic episode too.

Also I noticed that the leaked audio was much more brutal than what we got. Not really a complaint, just an observation...

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Cliffhanger is such bullshit, can't believe they ruined such a fantastic episode too.

Also I noticed that the leaked audio was much more brutal than what we got. Not really a complaint, just an observation...

Haven't gone back to watch the black screen, but my ears told me that the screaming wasn't as pronounced as the Audio, but the crunching/shulk sound was louder.

Only thing I could get out of this, was that maybe "Trevor" will have a good role. Hell, kill JDM and let Ogg run the show.

KRod-57

Banned
Love the comic series.

Probably done following the show.

Turning the most powerful moment from the comics into a cliffhanger...who the fuck is running this show? What a goddamn pack of morons. No more interest.

Yeah.. it was otherwise a good episode.. and the thing is, they didn't need to hold off on the reveal to make it a cliffhanger... the situation they are in is already a cliffhanger. I can't imagine them making the reveal in episode 1 of next season and it being near as good as it would have been had they made the reveal at the end of this episode

I feel like the decision they made was just flat out bad directing.. I would like to meet the person who believes this was a good decision

wenis

So... they really did it, huh? Won't even bother watching it when I come home from work. What a bummer.
Watching the last 15 minutes would be my only suggestion. JDM does the character intro justice. It isn't his fault the writers and show runner wimped the fuck out. But the rest of the episode is the television equivalent of packing peanuts.

Yeah.. it was otherwise a good episode.. and the thing is, they didn't need to hold off on the reveal to make it a cliffhanger... the situation they are in is already a cliffhanger.

EXACTLY. What are they gonna do, bow down to this fucker who just destroyed one of their own? Give in? Or fight? How do they recover first? How does this splinter the group? What changes? SO MUCH TO CONSIDER.

Lakitu

st5fu
Watching the last 15 minutes would be my only suggestion. JDM does the character intro justice. It isn't his fault the writers and show runner wimped the fuck out. But the rest of the episode is the television equivalent of packing peanuts.

Yeah, JDM was fucking amazing. No doubt he's going to do Negan justice.

EXACTLY. What are they gonna do, bow down to this fucker who just destroyed one of their own? Give in? Or fight? How do they recover first? How does this splinter the group? What changes? SO MUCH TO CONSIDER.

It's seriously embarrassing. It's basically a double-cliffhanger - the more literal "who died" one, and then the more thoughtful "what does this mean for everyone going forward?" one. They didn't need the first, they probably just figured that the audience would not appreciate a more subtle cliffhanger?

Really, at this point, it needs to be Daryl. Besides Rick, no one character would end up eliciting such an extreme reaction from the audience, and Daryl is a powerful force in the group, as has he always was. If it's Aaron, then AMC and/or the showrunner missed the fucking point, because the scene stops being about watching the villain kill a close friend of the group and becomes "just another dead new person".

KRod-57

Banned
So... they really did it, huh? Won't even bother watching it when I come home from work. What a bummer.

You need to see it for multiple reasons

1. It was otherwise a really good episode

2. It may not be what you are expecting

3. Negan was absolutely awesome, as well as another actor who makes an appearance in this episode, whom you may or may not recognize (who I will not name just in case people didn't already read about the actors who are in this episode)

It was a really good episode, but I am PISSED about a decision they made

UberTag

I think I've figured this Walking Dead prediction racket out on Gold Derby...

Walking%20Dead%20-%20Gold%20Derby.png

Still haven't watched either of the past two weeks' episodes but I think I may continue making picks without watching the show in the fall to see how long I can stay atop the leaderboard.

Just watched the last 3 episodes back to back and legitimately feel robbed. Every episode of the walking dead just feels like their setting up for the payoff in the next episode..Except we get no payoff anymore.. glenns dumpster shenanigans, carl getting shot in the face and now this cliffhanger b.s. Any impact that scene was going to have is lost when you make the audience wait months for the reveal. Now when i tune in months from now for the season premier i know the first 5 min of the episode will be exciting, followed by 25-30 min of nothingness which sets up a potential payoff that never comes in the following episodes of the entire season which build up to another cliffhanger..

Even knowing that it was going to be a cliffhanger, it was still one of the most stressful episodes of a television show I've ever seen. Andrew Lincoln's incredible performance is worth a viewing of it, it's genuinely distressing.

Just, yeah. Goddamn AMC for the cliffhanger, it was a fantastic episode until then. Filler-y, yes, but very catastrophic and tense. The score and sound direction really added to it all, too. What a waste.

Lakitu

st5fu
My feeling is that it's Abraham. The taking it like a champ part kind of hints it to me because throughout the entire sequence he didn't seem to show he was scared (but of course he was).

Euron

I refuse to believe that it's Abraham. I needs to be either Glenn or Daryl. This is the series' Red Wedding so it shouldn't be wasted on a minor character.

jaekeem

It seems pointless to give away Abraham's comic death only to Lucille him.

I think it's glenn/daryl. Gotta be one of the two.

UberTag

I refuse to believe that it's Abraham. I needs to be either Glenn or Daryl. This is the series' Red Wedding so it shouldn't be wasted on a minor character.
It also shouldn't have been cliffhangered. And yet they already did that.
Might as well waste it on a redshirt now.

Top Bottom