• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* The Walking Dead TV show, leaks, and comic book SPOILER discussion thread

I just don't believe they bring everyone back to recreate that scene in May. It was filmed. AMC fucked it up and demanded a cliffhanger.

Is Joel Stillerman still at AMC? I bet he was the one who authorized this nonsense.

And Norman Reedus isn't going anywhere, judging by his behavior on this Talking Dead episode. Dude's just hanging out, shooting the shit. He knows he's coming back.

JaseMath

That was the most disappointing 90 minutes of television I've ever watched. The last 10 minutes were okay, thought the whole time I kept thinking, "He's way too small to be Negan."

Shoulda went with Patrick Warburton. Dude was born to play him.

You liked the cliffhanger?

Yeah. It's part of television. Part of drama. Doesn't bother me a bit. I thought it was a great episode. Intense. Can't wait till October now!

I feel like if they showed who it was tonight, there'd be a little buzz, we'd talk about it tonight and tomorrow at work or school or wherever, and then it'd be dead until October. Now I'm (we're) gonna be thinking and talking about it off and on until then.

Sanke__

Hardwick probably feels like a complete whore standing by them with this bullshit
I would hope a lot of actors on the show are pissed too

Yeah. It's part of television. Part of drama. Doesn't bother me a bit. I thought it was a great episode. Intense. Can't wait till October now!

I feel like if they showed who it was tonight, there'd be a little buzz, we'd talk about it tonight and tomorrow at work or school or wherever, and then it'd be dead until October. Now I'm (we're) gonna be thinking and talking about it off and on until then.

The problem with that sentiment is that the show has always been terrible with leaks. We're going to know in a couple months who's still alive based on spy photos, just like we did with Stephen Yeun.

This isn't a "Who Shot J.R." situation - that was a single character (the breakout character in the show) left in an uncertain state.

This comes from a comic with a clearly defined setup, in what is often considered one of the most defining moments of the comics, being arbitrarily cut short to provide artificial drama and for the sake of a goddamn hashtag.

Nonsense. Did that happen when they killed off Sean Bean in GoT? Nope. The conversation and buzz wasn't dead. Everyone was raging and ranting about what would happen next and they were right there hanging on everything until the premiere.

Shoulda went with Patrick Warburton. Dude was born to play him.

Holy... that would have been something. Wow.

no when casting reveals who it was then the talking will stop
you sweet summer child do you honestly think they can keep the victims identity a secret for 8 months?
once the word gets out due to the internet being the internet itll spread like wildfire everywhere(and i cant wait for the chaos if its a minor nobody character)

Spizz

Banned

I see what you're saying, but I disagree. I think Negan killing someone on screen was a good enough cliffhanger because of the future implications. Let's say Glenn dies, what's next for the group? Maggie? Rick? They were just humbled pretty hard, how do they react? I believe that's how it should've been done.

Once the leaks start pouring out in May about who got killed it ruins all meaning it had IMO. Tonight was the night, the scene, and it lost the impact it could've had for me.

But, I understand that I'm not necessarily the type of person AMC was looking to pursue with this ending if that makes sense. Your average viewer may talk about ending A: who got hit, more than ending B: member x got hit, and that's fine.

It's just not what I feel should've happened. But, I respect your opinion.

jerry113

Banned
Yep this was an AMC $$$$ decision. I doubt that Gimple would've gone for this.

Should've been on HBO. They wouldn't have done this or the stupid Glenn's dead because camera angle shenanigans.

http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-the-walking-dead-ends-its-season-on-a-hilariously-stupid-cliffhanger

Sorry, on mobile.

Sepinwall Review: 'The Walking Dead' ends its season on a hilariously stupid cliffhanger

"Last Day on Earth" was just about the opposite of a creative miracle. It was every bad decision the show has made over the last few years, all included in a dumb, lifeless, repetitive 90-minute episode that couldn't even be bothered to give the comic book fans the one moment they'd been waiting for — and that the show had been desperately teasing since the fall, in hopes that news that this sociopath with the anthropomorphised bat would forgive every dumb decision involving the herd, Glenn crawling under the dumpster, Carol's abrupt personality transplant, etc. — by instead going with a cliffhanger ending that will leave the victim's identity a secret up until fall.

(*) I should warn you right now: I will be spoiling what happens with the bat later in this review. It's impossible to talk about this fiasco without discussing it. If you don't want to know and keep reading, I'll be okay with it, though there will be an additional warning before we get there.

ZeroCDR

I thought the POV was really well done at least, serious chills from a show that stopped being scary ages ago.

The cliffhanger itself doesn't bother me too much, I give it two months before we know who it is via leaks, I'm more concerned that they're wasting this on a B or C tier character. Way too many of them in the lineup.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Time to just progressively bad mouth AMC and the walking dead hash tag until October.

The problem with that sentiment is that the show has always been terrible with leaks. We're going to know in a couple months who's still alive based on spy photos, just like we did with Stephen Yeun.

You're saying this, posting in a SPOILER thread, man, lol. We're in here because we want to know shit ahead of time (me - only occasionally).

I don't want to argue about it. I'm not telling you or anyone else to not be upset. Just stating that I'm not. I like the drama. Would I have liked to know tonight? Sure. But in the grand scheme of things I feel like it would have been less effective.

jerry113

Banned
I bet that there's an AMC research guy perusing NeoGAF's OT right now as part of a large effort to evaluate which character loss would cost the network the smallest loss in viewership come season 7.

Its just as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Yeah, done with the show for now.

I mean, pacing wise, tonight's episode was abysmal. I kept asking my group of friends if we were on ANOTHER commercial cause I lost track at one point. None of what happened really took things anywhere. It was all just padding & very frustrating. And you can tell that there was a lot of build-up towards the end scene. Almost like all of the slow pacing being built-up is meant to pay off. And then, it doesn't.

JDM was okay. Honestly, the lack of cussing actually ruined it. Not because it wasn't 'comic authentic', its that Negan's character has this rage he funnels into his words & charisma. He even hints at how upset Rick killing all his men made really made him. I just don't buy that Negan would've been as 'subdued' as he was. It's nice to see JDM on screen. His acting is always appreciated. But it just didn't really 'work' as well for me as I thought it would.

Then, there is the cliffhanger. I mean, it managed to do what season 2 & 3 couldn't - make me stop watching the show. So, kudos to them for that. They upped themselves.

UberTag

I bet that there's an AMC research guy perusing NeoGAF's OT right now as part of a large effort to evaluate which character loss would cost the network the smallest loss in viewership come season 7.
The answer is oddly none of the lineup whatsoever.

Instead, the camera needs to pan over to show several AMC executives added to the lineup and have Negan take Lucille to THEIR heads.
That would generate the most positive response.

I thought the POV was really well done at least, serious chills from a show that stopped being scary ages ago.

The cliffhanger itself doesn't bother me too much, I give it two months before we know who it is via leaks, I'm more concerned that they're wasting this on a B or C tier character. Way too many of them in the lineup.

This is where I'm at. Honestly I don't feel much different about finding out who died through a leak reading it on a screen or watching it on a screen. I'll be ticked if its someone dumb, like you said.

You're saying this, posting in a SPOILER thread, man, lol. We're in here because we want to know shit ahead of time (me - only occasionally).

I'm well aware of where I'm posting.

My point is that the conversation is not going to be dominated by "who died". It's going to be ruined when the eventual leaks come out a short time from now.

It's an absolutely asinine way to build buzz in your show when it's spoiled on the internet (like so many other things over the course of this show's lifespan) months before it actually happens. I much would have rather had them commit to a victim and withhold the last scene until transmission.

Instead, we're going to end up with another Glenn situation, where every comment made about the situation is met with a resounding "yeah, right".

Alexandre

Banned
If you think about it, the finale was really like you getting a handjob, then an upgrade to a blowjob and when you are almost there, girl would just stop and say, till next season...

Blueballs City =/

I liked JDM. I thought his delivery was great, and I don't mind the removal of all the fucks. Always felt a little try-hard to me in the comics (even though I like him there, too). I felt, though, that they could have cut that scene by about two minutes. Tension fades into repetition really easily. It's a fine line.

LowParry

I liked JDM. I thought his delivery was great, and I don't mind the removal of all the fucks. Always felt a little try-hard to me in the comics (even though I like him there, too). I felt, though, that they could have cut that scene by about two minutes. Tension fades into repetition really easily. It's a fine line.

Bluerays have the fucks in :D. I would like to see that.

My point is that the conversation is not going to be dominated by "who died". It's going to be ruined when the eventual leaks come out a short time from now.

It's an absolutely asinine way to build buzz in your show when it's spoiled on the internet (like so many other things over the course of this show's lifespan) on the internet months before it actually happens. I much would have rather had them commit to a victim and withhold the last scene until transmission.

Instead, we're going to end up with another Glenn situation, where every comment made about the situation is met with a resounding "yeah, right".

Yep. And it's not like we're all gonna be gasping for the premiere, because we will already know. In my opinion, that sucks all the importance out of a very important moment of change for both characters AND audience.

Good on the people who avoid spoilers somehow, I guess.

The ONLY silver lining I can give this season finale is they didn't try to replicate the comic Carol death with Morgan instead. VERY happy they made Morgan see some god damn sense at the very end. Even though it proved Carol right. Then again, Carol hasn't made any god damn sense for about 3 episodes now, so whatever on that front.

Nothing like making a woman make complete illogical sense after being one of the most consistent voices of reasons on your show for 3-4 years just cause, eh TWD writers?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Sepinwall post yet? That'll get me out of my funk. That and this finale for Shameless (oh and a new Bobs Burgers).

The answer is oddly none of the lineup whatsoever.

Instead, the camera needs to pan over to show several AMC executives added to the lineup and have Negan take Lucille to THEIR heads.
That would generate the most positive response.

hmm make the suits new characters and lucille them
ive got an even better idea
make the suits in the lineup but have Negan still bash in Glenns head while the suits have to sit and watch then just bash their heads in as well

JDM killed it as Negan. That said, there is one thing we need to address. Can those saying things like "This ending to the finale will build anticipation and bring the audience back with great anticipation for Season 7" kindly shut the fuck up? Please? This is one of the most(maybe THE most)watched shows on TV. People are coming back regardless. Fans of the comic and those that love the show deserved better. They built all this hype up for a character that is the biggest bad in TWD universe. Many would say he's the Joker of this universe. This moment in the comic is huge. Having people wait was a mistake.

Also, DO NOT be surprised if they drag out who was killed until the midseason finale. You shouldn't be surprised at this point.

JDM killed it as Negan. That said, there is one thing we need to address. Can those saying things like "This ending to the finale will build anticipation and bring the audience back with great anticipation for Season 7" kindly shut the fuck up? Please? This is one of the most(maybe THE most)watched shows on TV. People are coming back regardless. Fans of the comic and those that love the show deserved better. They built all this hype up for a character that is the biggest bad in TWD universe. Many would say he's the Joker of this universe. This moment in the comic is huge. Having people wait was a mistake.

Also, DO NOT be surprised if they drag out who was killed until the midseason finale. You shouldn't be surprised at this point.

if Negans Joker then Ricks Batman
and Glenns Robin
holy shit it fits so well
but yea shut the fuck up i came back for a reason and now that reason could be dashed to pieces because AMC is a bunch of cowards
if its a minor back to the comics(and only the comics)

It's an absolutely asinine way to build buzz in your show when it's spoiled on the internet (like so many other things over the course of this show's lifespan) months before it actually happens. I much would have rather had them commit to a victim and withhold the last scene until transmission.

The Glenn dumpster shit pissed me off WAY worse then this because there is no way he should've escaped from that. But I felt most people, including myself - knew he was going to survive. This is just...tension for me. I DONT know who's going to die and I like it.

If the internet weren't around and this was all limited to school/watercooler/family & friend conversations all summer about who it was, would you be as mad? if so, I feel like the internet is to be blamed, not a show for sticking to tried and true methods. The reason for cliffhangers is to keep you coming back for more.

A guess: it's Daryl who got got. I've seen people IRL with "if Daryl dies we riot" shirts so they give Reedus his own motor bike show and wait until next season to reveal it. That way the people who would've left after he dies gets into another season before deciding to stop watching or not. Heck, maybe AMC thought this for all the characters.

Just a random thought.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The worst part about the ending is that we'll all know who died soon as filming starts. No way that'll stay under wraps.

The worst part about the ending is that we'll all know who died soon as filming starts. No way that'll stay under wraps.

They couldn't keep what was supposed to be the biggest moment in the show's history under wraps. We'll know by May(June at the latest)

They really need to show just how brutal Lucille is. Negan went to town hard and viewers have got to see it.

Problem is that all the shock and suspense of it is kind of sucked out of that scene now. Unless they go totally crazy and kill Rick, people have got the next 6 months to ready themselves for any of those characters in the lineup dying. And given how spineless the showrunners/AMC have gotten it'll probably just be Aaron and they probably won't even show it.

I thought I'd sort of be ok with the cliffhanger but seeing it in the context of Negan's introduction and how they were building up that scene, to only have it end like it did is total garbage storytelling of the lowest order. This is some cheap Saturday morning cartoon BS. Hell, cartoons are better than this.

At this point they can kill whoever they want but people are expecting a brutal murder at this point so that's half of the shock of Negan's intro already wasted.

The Glenn dumpster shit pissed me off WAY worse then this because there is no way he should've escaped from that. But I felt most people, including myself - knew he was going to survive. This is just...tension for me. I DONT know who's going to die and I like it.

It's like you haven't read anything I've said.

Most people knew he was going to survive, as soon as the "death" in question happened, because there were set pics leaked at the beginning of the season showing Glenn interacting with the Jesus character, long before the latter had even been introduced in the show yet. Any sense of tension or drama around that cliffhanger was dead in the water immediately, despite AMC's attempts to claim otherwise. The exact same thing is going to happen here.

If the internet weren't around and this was all limited to school/watercooler/family & friend conversations all summer about who it was, would you be as mad?

Well, it is and it's irrelevant. Set leaks occurred even before the advent of the internet.

The prevailing mood in this thread and the OT isn't "I want to come back for more". It's "fuck this shit".

Top Bottom