• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* The Walking Dead TV show, leaks, and comic book SPOILER discussion thread

I was away watching Wrasslemania and I had my wife spoil the ep for me.

What a fucking weak way to end it. So they really felt the payoff would be more shocking and dramatic in a season premiere? We tune in to say "Ooooohhh THAT person..." and then continue on like nothing?

Weak.

bitbydeath

It seems pointless to give away Abraham's comic death only to Lucille him.

I think it's glenn/daryl. Gotta be one of the two.

They gave it away to get to that point though.
If Denise were alive their would be no need to drive to the hilltop.

Plus he practically did a kill me now speech with Sasha and a farewell speech with Eugene.

I'm betting on Abe.

What a fucking weak way to end it. So they really felt the payoff would be more shocking and dramatic in a season premiere? We tune in to say "Ooooohhh THAT person..." and then continue on like nothing?

This is 100% an AMC decision. Gimple has showed that he's capable of writing big sequences with character deaths before (Hunters, "Made to Suffer"). They did this precisely so they could get people talking, but as you see, it has backfired completely.

Very few people are talking about Negan right now. The conversation is dominated by how stupid that cliffhanger was. You could have had a slow zoom-out after the POV shot to reveal the body, had Negan do his "ta-ta" routine and have Rick and the others staring at the corpse in half-sadness, half-revulsion, and people would have ate that shit up.

Pretty horrible finale. Read the synopsis last week so I knew what was coming.

Sadly, I have a friend who says he's done with the show, this whole last season has not been his cup of tea. I'll watch, but It was such a terrible ending...

Don't care who died, they removed me emotionally from the show tonight. Hope it's one of the better actors so they can get better work.

I'll say I won't watch, but I know I'll end up watching S7. It just pisses me off that they just didn't show the person getting Lucille'd. They could of easily shown the person and then shown Negan taking Carl with him to setup the next season.

You would think it has to be Glenn or Daryl right? They made a point to show the POV shots since the beginning and the only people in there were Michonne, Rosita, Daryl and Glenn.

If the death isn't a woman, wouldn't the POV character need to be Glenn or Daryl? If not then what was the whole point of the POV they gave us from those characters throughout the episode?

Also Glenn doesn't strike me as a "Taking it like a champ!" character. He was already acting very emotional and the character was totally silent the whole time, even before the bat struck for the first time. If it were Glenn I would have expected to still hear him somewhat emotional or at least hear something from Maggie.

I want to say it's Daryl who died. Who would cry out for him before being struck? He doesn't exactly have a love interest there. If not then the POV was stupid and I put my money on Abe since he was trying to beef himself up during the lineup and act tough.

It's funny, with the build up, I felt like the season would end with something sad - that we would all be mourning the loss of a friend. We would have anger, but more for Negan's character. But we would have sadness and that would have fed into, what happens next.

That's how I came away after reading 100. I could not wait until the next issue to find out how the pieces would be picked up.

With last night, it was that same build up, but now I'm left with resentment. Not because of Negan destroying one of our beloved characters, but resentment for the fact that we can't even talk about the loss or the future of what could come. Instead, we it seems we are all... disgusted.

I think this coupled with Daryl just getting shot for what seemed like the sake of getting shot for dramatic effect have soured things. I understand it's TV, I get you need to keep up the suspense and pique my interest so I keep watching. You had that. Even after this, it's not like I won't stop watching, just feel disappointed.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
It's going to be Aaron guys. Him going in the RV was entirely pointless and he's the least important by far. Keep in mind that this show sucks.

-griffy-

Banned
Somebody should work on editing big moments from other shows and turning them into bad cliffhangers by fading to black before shit happens.

FrsDvl

The thing i noticed last night is that whoever gets it, is not sitting directly across from the RV, which leaves out everyone but Glenn, Daryll and Rosita, as they were sitting on an angle facing towards the woods ,rather than the RV. Cause once it goes into that POV the RV isn't there.

It's probably nothing, but i noticed it anyway.

The girl that Carl likes, do you think she's a spy for the saviors? How did they know Rick and friends were leaving for hilltop that day? Do you think she poisoned Maggie?

Coxy100

Banned
I refuse to believe that it's Abraham. I needs to be either Glenn or Daryl. This is the series' Red Wedding so it shouldn't be wasted on a minor character.

I think it is - they built him up a bit more this season with the changes in relationship etc

I will always love him for his "appreciate it pal" bit

The girl that Carl likes, do you think she's a spy for the saviors? How did they know Rick and friends were leaving for hilltop that day? Do you think she poisoned Maggie?

Theory breaks down considering they had a town meeting to take out one of the FoB's and she could have easily warned them, not to mention that if she was a spy they could have easily taken the town by now with a night raid and her opening the gates to let a raid in.

LowParry

No. If anything Negan has people posted watching Alexandria. They know the exact location of the place. And they know Rick's name so. The crew was lead the entire time.

Mega

Banned
Still say it's Abraham.

Negan was being very observant and there was nothing random about his pick. Abraham postured up against Negan and almost looked to be at his level even while kneeling, and he took note of that. Just looking at Abraham, he knows the guy is military/trained fighter from before the zombie apocalypse, the strongest of the group (second in command perhaps) and an untameable threat. Everyone else in Rick's group is injured, sick, slumped over, exhausted from capture, crying, bewildered or plain looking defeated. The main exception is Carl and Negan did stay focused on him for a while. If he were 5-10 years older, I could see him getting the bat with the look he was giving Negan. That leaves Abraham for Negan to use to set an example.

Anyway, Abraham's death sets up Rosita forcibly moving on and seeking comfort with Eugene... and Sasha's failed suicidal revenge tactic against Negan. I guess zombie Sasha ends up killing a redshirt since Denise is already dead. This would complete Sasha's weird character development as half Andrea, half Holly. But back to Abraham, his death will be used as a catalyst for war: he was the strongest of us, we need to step up and be defiant like he was, he would have wanted us to fight yada yada. I dunno, a lot fits if Abraham dies in the premiere. Despite what some say, he's gotten tons of screen time and isn't a redshirt at this point. It is a safe kill and certainly not a Daryl or Glenn tier character and a death with the impact of a Shane or Hershel, but it still is not as insignificant as Aaron or a random Alexandrian biting it.

This all boils down to AMC meddling because they are beholden to advertisers and a large casual audience, which they are focused on not deeply offending and driving away in droves. There's unfortunate more to consider than a Game of Thrones death, so I don't see them ever killing off fan favorites like Daryl, Michonne or prematurely ending the Glenn/Maggie pairing. Really, if Game of Thrones were on AMC, they would have kept around (big GoT death spoiler)
Joffrey Baratheon
for a longggg time (maybe forever) because of all the online chatter and mainstream attention that character got. I think AMC feels they can't "waste" main characters at this stage of the show's popularity. They are a lot less concerned with appeasing us, the comparatively small group of comic book readers and forum visitors. Basically, money talks.

A distant second for me is Aaron. There are less reasons but a similar catalyst speech can come out of it: he sought us out, trusted us, brought us into the community, gave us a new start, we owe it to him to fight, for Alexandria, yada yada. But this choice seems so damn safe to annoy even casual viewers who don't wanna see Daryl/Glenn deaths. People will be like "WHO???" especially after a 6-month break.

There was a solid fan theory that she was a Wolf and I honestly believe the writers misled us into thinking she was one with all the obvious hints being dropped. Too bad that went nowhere.

LowParry

If it's not Glenn, then they fucked it up. Meh. I may not even bother with the show at that point. But Negan may be enough to keep me around. Maybe.

Catdaddy

It's going to be Aaron guys. Him going in the RV was entirely pointless and he's the least important by far. Keep in mind that this show sucks.

That would be enraging, but I can see them doing that. Even though their stock is rising Rosita, Eugene and Sasha – would be a cop out at this point.

AMC doubling down on Daryl/Norman with the ride a bike and eat food across America show – he’s also the spokesperson for their mobile game – so would be surprised if its him. Hopefully it’s Glenn, his time is up and would give Maggie the motivation to lead Hilltop.

Although Abe has had a lot of "moments" over the past few episodes...probably a misdirect though.

Hell, maybe Negan is afraid of snakes and that’s what he beatdown…

Theory breaks down considering they had a town meeting to take out one of the FoB's and she could have easily warned them, not to mention that if she was a spy they could have easily taken the town by now with a night raid and her opening the gates to let a raid in.

No. If anything Negan has people posted watching Alexandria. They know the exact location of the place. And they know Rick's name so. The crew was lead the entire time.
Ah good points

Still say it's Abraham.

Negan was being very observant and there was nothing random about his pick. Abraham postured up against Negan and almost looked to be at his level even while kneeling, and he took note of that. Just looking at Abraham, he knows the guy is military/trained fighter from before the zombie apocalypse, the strongest of the group (second in command perhaps) and an untameable threat. Everyone else in Rick's group is injured, sick, slumped over, exhausted from capture, crying, bewildered or plain looking defeated. The main exception is Carl and Negan did stay focused on him for a while. If he were 5-10 years older, I could see him getting the bat with the look he was giving Negan. That leaves Abraham for Negan to use to set an example.

Anyway, Abraham's death sets up Rosita forcibly moving on and seeking comfort with Eugene... and Sasha's failed suicidal revenge tactic against Negan. I guess zombie Sasha ends up killing a redshirt since Denise is already dead. This would complete Sasha's weird character development as half Andrea, half Holly. But back to Abraham, his death will be used as a catalyst for war: he was the strongest of us, we need to step up and be defiant like he was, he would have wanted us to fight yada yada. I dunno, a lot fits if Abraham dies in the premiere. Despite what some say, he's gotten tons of screen time and isn't a redshirt at this point. It is a safe kill and certainly not a Daryl or Glenn tier character and a death with the impact of a Shane or Hershel, but it still is not as insignificant as Aaron or a random Alexandrian biting it.

This all boils down to AMC meddling because they are beholden to advertisers and a large casual audience, which they are focused on not deeply offending and driving away in droves. There's unfortunate more to consider than a Game of Thrones death, so I don't see them ever killing off fan favorites like Daryl, Michonne or prematurely ending the Glenn/Maggie pairing. Really, if Game of Thrones were on AMC, they would have kept around (big GoT death spoiler)
Joffrey Baratheon
for a longggg time (maybe forever) because of all the online chatter and mainstream attention that character got. I think AMC feels they can't "waste" main characters at this stage of the show's popularity. They are a lot less concerned with appeasing us, the comparatively small group of comic book readers and forum visitors. Basically, money talks.

A distant second for me is Aaron. There are less reasons but a similar catalyst speech can come out of it: he sought us out, trusted us, brought us into the community, gave us a new start, we owe it to him to fight, for Alexandria, yada yada. But this choice seems so damn safe to annoy even casual viewers who don't wanna see Daryl/Glenn deaths. People will be like "WHO???" especially after a 6-month break.

There was a solid fan theory that she was a Wolf and I honestly believe the writers misled us into thinking she was one with all the obvious hints being dropped. Too bad that went nowhere.
Completely agree I also believe it was Abraham for the same reasons. As many put I don't see Abraham as a minor character. Right now after Rick he is the alpha male and his posture towards Negan showed it. If I'm negan I see that as top threat after Rick not a cry baby Glenn.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So the two armored guys what's their stories? They from the comics?

Yeah, they're from The Kingdom, which, going by who's left in Alexandria (and the lack of people on film @ the Hilltop), will need to be substantial enough to face down The Saviors, who look to be a good 100-200 men strong.

Mega

Banned
So the two armored guys what's their stories? They from the comics?

They're from the Kingdom, a third good community. The war will be Alexandria, the Hilltop and the Kingdom vs. the Saviors. The odds are still on the Saviors side due to superior numbers of fighting men (and not merely soft civilians either), more fortified bases, and tons of supplies from months/years of taking half of everything from the Hilltop and Kingdom. Next season should be a spectacular event but I expect AMC to somehow botch it like they did with the Prison group vs. Woodbury.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
If it's not Glenn, then they fucked it up. Meh. I may not even bother with the show at that point. But Negan may be enough to keep me around. Maybe.

I think Maggie would be a punch to the stomach. It messes up the storyline they've been building towards of her being in a leadership position at Hilltop though. It should be Glenn, but I'll take Abraham. He's an operator and has been around for a spell, plus we've pretty much gone through all the development he can get. ANNNNND Denise took his death, so he's probably going to take someone else's. Like how Hershel took Tyrese's, so he had to go another way. Aaron would be a complete copout.

Sweet thanks guys. Was hoping for some good people to be out there. Any interesting characters from the Kingdom settlement?

Oh yes. The Kingdom has a King, who owns a badass zombie eating tiger. They're a fun bunch

dustyherb

Sweet thanks guys. Was hoping for some good people to be out there. Any interesting characters from the Kingdom settlement?
Ezekiel their leader, who was a zookeeper before the apocalypse and now has a pet tiger. Doubt they will give him the tiger in the show but we shall see.

Lonestar

Mainly their Leader, Ezekial. In the comics, he's an older black man with sweet grey dreadlocks and has a pet fucking Tiger.

Think there's some other good fighters, but mostly they all run together, all I remember is the armor and horses.

The one thing with "Abraham" getting this death, is that I'd still like more of him on the show. I've missed a few episodes, but I'm pretty sure we never got the Rick, Carl and Abraham road show (the one where they found Morgan). That was my favorite bit of Abraham. Him and Rick almost killing each other, until they get over their differences.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ezekiel their leader, who was a zookeeper before the apocalypse and now has a pet tiger. Doubt they will give him the tiger in the show but we shall see.

As upset as people are about the Negan cliffhanger, no Shiva would upset me more. Obviously they can't have her walking around as much as she does in the comic, but I need that fucking tiger in his introductory scene bare minimum.

I think it was Eugene, now Rick knows how to make bullets (out of nowhere with that shit). Also in the comic Eugene was with Rosita and someone else when he found the gunsmith spot. I think that happened after Negan's intro in the comic. Setting up the whole ammo making operation would be one hell of a legacy.

Agreed on all the reasons for Abraham. I think Maggie's gonna lose this baby so they need to keep Glenn alive longer - they don't want to deal with another infant yet, either, I bet. And they forecast Abe's death by a) hamming up that Eugene would die and b) having him talk about babies with Sasha.

That's part of what makes this all such bullshit. It's relatively obvious who died, unless they pull some shit out of their ass, AND even non-comic readers can probably figure out Negan's eventual fate, considering all the time spent on that damned cell.

Suspense, what even is it.

Mega

Banned
The one thing with "Abraham" getting this death, is that I'd still like more of him on the show. I've missed a few episodes, but I'm pretty sure we never got the Rick, Carl and Abraham road show (the one where they found Morgan). That was my favorite bit of Abraham. Him and Rick almost killing each other, until they get over their differences.

He got the road trip with Sasha and Daryl. Plus the DC road trip with Glenn, Rosita, Eugene, etc. Right before that Rick and Abraham almost fought in the church.

edit: Another reason it's Abraham is in the setup for the lineup. Sasha is next to Rick, which puts her in perfect proximity to reach over and start hitting and blaming him for Abraham's death. Maggie is also next to him but I think she's too sick and weak to effectively be angry.

the-walking-dead-comic-issue-101-maggie-punching-rick.jpg

Yeah, they're from The Kingdom, which, going by who's left in Alexandria (and the lack of people on film @ the Hilltop), will need to be substantial enough to face down The Saviors, who look to be a good 100-200 men strong.

They each have decent numbers, mostly unseen background characters but it's not enough to directly match the Saviors and it shouldn't be or else it dampens the severity of the situation they're all in. Each of the three is significantly smaller and pacified by the Saviors. Combined they have a chance but they're still facing a major uphill battle. If they follow the comic book, Alexandria was simultaneously attacked by a large force similar to the one that herded Rick's group and then later we find out there at least three major outposts with sizable forces PLUS the main factory base. Negan's line about Rick not knowing shit applies to both comic book and TV show.

Comics:
"You ever hear the one about the stupid fuck named Rick who fucking thought he knew shit but didn't know shit and got himself fucking killed?"
Show:
“Sucks, don’t it? The moment you realize you don’t know shit.”

I think this last half of the season has messed up the introduction of the Saviors. An entire based wiped out (20 minimum), that whole group of bikers bazooka'd (8 men), TWO small groups killed off at that safe house (10), half the ambush group picked off and sent running by two people held up at gunpoint and one coming up from behind (3 or 4?)Carol taking out a truck of armed men. Negan's solitary kill just comes off as really silly after Rick's group killed... THIRTY Saviors? They should have kept it to Rick's group being overconfident after a couple of favorable skirmishes with a few Saviors killed off and sent running before the reveal to this:

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Knew it was coming from the spoilers, had hoped it wouldn't but yeah, well done on fucking up the biggest scene from the comics.

Other than that, the episode was brilliant. JDM excelled as Negan, Ogg was good too.

Ending has pissed me off royally though, might just stick with the comics from here on out, see how I feel in October.

squadr0n

Is Glenn who was killed in the scene from the comic?

I really think its Glenn who in my opinion would have the greatest impact to the team and to the viewers due to his relationship with Maggie. But man would that really suck since hes pretty much the only character I like anymore aside from Daryl.

Lashley

Is Glenn who was killed in the scene from the comic?

I really think its Glenn who in my opinion would have the greatest impact to the team and to the viewers due to his relationship with Maggie. But man would that really suck since hes pretty much the only character I like anymore aside from Daryl.

Yes

Doubt it'll be him, otherwise why drag out this ending? Ending was total trash, social media is going wild with people hating on it too

Surfinn

Yes

Doubt it'll be him, otherwise why drag out this ending? Ending was total trash, social media is going wild with people hating on it too

My only hope is that the outcry isn't limited to NeoGAF and other message boards. That the average audience won't stand for this shit.

Moofers

My only hope is that the outcry isn't limited to NeoGAF and other message boards. That the average audience won't stand for this shit.

I had hoped for the same, but looking on twitter at #TheWalkingDead #TheWalkingDeadFinale #WhoIsIt, I am mostly seeing people speculate on who it will be that dies. In a lot of cases, just one-word tweets like "Glenn", "Daryl", etc. Kind of annoys me because it strikes me as people mostly falling for the "WHO DUNNIT OMG?!?" which is exactly what AMC wanted. I can't help but picture a room of suits sitting around congratulating themselves saying "Well, we did it. This is exactly what we wanted. All the rubes are out there worrying about their favorite characters because we're so clever!"

You would think it has to be Glenn or Daryl right? They made a point to show the POV shots since the beginning and the only people in there were Michonne, Rosita, Daryl and Glenn.

If the death isn't a woman, wouldn't the POV character need to be Glenn or Daryl? If not then what was the whole point of the POV they gave us from those characters throughout the episode?

Also Glenn doesn't strike me as a "Taking it like a champ!" character. He was already acting very emotional and the character was totally silent the whole time, even before the bat struck for the first time. If it were Glenn I would have expected to still hear him somewhat emotional or at least hear something from Maggie.

I want to say it's Daryl who died. Who would cry out for him before being struck? He doesn't exactly have a love interest there. If not then the POV was stupid and I put my money on Abe since he was trying to beef himself up during the lineup and act tough.

I've seen a shocking few number of people talk about the POV shots throughout the episode. The show has displayed, if nothing else, a great attention to detail thoughout, whether it be scene to scene, episode to episode, or even season to season. It's another reason why the shots of Negan doing the deed probably matter, even though the cast was off camera or possibly not present.

I will say that 'taking it like a champ' could just be Glenn not screaming or raising himself a bit, as well as a sign of [gleeful] surprise given the aforementioned emotional showcase.

Overall, it comes down to the truck occupants if those POV shots had a purpose and they were honest on TTD about there being clues in the episode.

The TV Recap Industrial Complex has universally torn it to shreds. Not the entire episode, but the cliffhanger has been universally panned.

Hoping Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald tear it up on their podcast today.

ZeroCDR

I'm just flat out assuming Carl and Rick are off the table.

If it's Glenn the cliffhanger couldn't have been more useless. If it's Abraham, that's too easy as Denise got his comic death just a little earlier. If it's Maggie, someone should have brought up the pregnancy immediately after Negan made his choice but didn't because lol cliffhanger.

The choices that would make sense to me and work in the cliffhanger's favor at this point are Daryl or Michonne (and Carl, but again, flat out assuming he's safe), anyone else completely undermines the decision to cliffhanger the death and in a perfect world would negatively affect the show long-term.

Solo

When do they start shooting S7? May? June? I'm curious to know how early this will leak. I hope its so early and widespread. Fuck AMC.

Surfinn

When do they start shooting S7? May? June? I'm curious to know how early this will leak. I hope its so early and widespread. Fuck AMC.

Would be funny if we find out in like a week. Hope this backfires on them badly. What an awful, awful decision.

Lonestar

As already discussed, Negan really didn't pick a random person. He ended up pointing at multiple people before saying "it." Best to go from who made any sort of impression on him during the leadup.

That's Glenn (distraught over Maggie)
Maggie (see: Glenn, as well as being the reason 70% of these people came out of Alexandria)
Abraham (visually standing up to him)
Rick and Carl

I'd put it at 55% Abraham, 40% Glenn, 4% Maggie, 1% Carl (thinking on the line of "feeding the eye, and then we'll start" could work if it was Carl, as it'd just be more prolonged torture on him and Rick.)

Everyone else, was just "there" in that scene. Not even sure Rosita got a single frame closeup, just a side shot image with Michonne or Daryl.

Mega bringing up that Sasha was next to Rick makes me think it'll be Abraham.

I really don't think it'll be Carl, as even AMC couldn't be stupid enough to not do any of the Negan/Carl stuff that's coming.

Lashley

Just showed my mum the Negan scene, she thought it was amazing till the ending. Even asked why it ended like that, wonder if the general public (IE not Gaf or comic readers) will wonder the same?

Abraham posturing up and showing no fear was probably my favorite part.

Same. I love Abe. Total badass.

Top Bottom