• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* The Walking Dead TV show, leaks, and comic book SPOILER discussion thread

My only hope is that the outcry isn't limited to NeoGAF and other message boards. That the average audience won't stand for this shit.
It's not. Twitter feedback was gained from the finale and it was something like 70% negative. They completely fucked up. I commented on my group hangout where I talk to my 3 best friends and one of them that doesn't watch the show said he heard that finale was BS as well.
EDIT: Not using that one friend as a large overall example, just merely mentioning it, that's all.

UberTag

Even more outrage is flowing towards Scott Gimple and AMC upon the release of a new in-depth interview from our good friends at IGN.

1. Season 7 Picks Off in the Immediate Aftermath
The Walking Dead might be making you wait until it returns with Season 7 to find out who Negan killed, but it won't make you wait much longer than that.

"That's the impression I have. We will pick up directly from what we saw last night," Morgan said in the group interview. "Season 6 ended on that note, and Season 7's going to pick up right where we left off. We're going to see who's on the other end of that bat and go from there."

Gimple elaborated, "In many ways, what we saw last night was the end of the story of episode 16, where Rick winds up is completely different from where he started in [episode 1] and in 9. I've known for a while what is in 701, and presenting what occurs, to show what happened in full force, is the beginning of the next story. To the showing, it's an incredible work of gore by Charlie Adlard in the book. How we show that on TV, I'm certain that we will be pushing some boundaries with it."

2. We'll See the World Through Negan's Eyes
Negan is a very important figure in the world of The Walking Dead, and marks a big turning point in the story. Expect Season 7 to deal with the exploration into his character and a greater understanding of what he is about.

"We will see stories from his perspective, but I do think that the guy you see is the guy he is," Gimple said. "There won't be this sort of reveal behind the mask, which I think is actually super challenging from a writing perspective for this kind of villain."

"I talked to Robert Kirkman last night ... and he is kind of doing the backstory of Negan now. Whether or not or when we see that -- and I hope we do -- I don't know," Morgan said. "It's going to kick off directly from where we left it last night. Hopefully we'll find out more about Negan as we go."

3. How They're Keeping Who Died a Secret
The biggest issue The Walking Dead is going to face going forward is how to keep who died a secret as Season 7 starts filming and people get new jobs. After joking "How weird would it be if the reveal is that it's Jon Snow?" in regards to comparisons to this situation and the one Game of Thrones faced between Seasons 5 and 6, Gimple said they're going to try to keep things as tight as possible.

"It goes back to that meta stuff, it goes back to that awareness of all that stuff around the show that we are trying to tend to," he said. "We are going to try to protect the secret of this to protect the audience experience. I sure hope it doesn't leak in any way."

Gimple has known for a while who he wanted to die at the end of this episode, but he wouldn't get more specific than that. He did say that every death this scene and moving forward is part of a bigger plan. "It's about those deaths meaning something to the story, to the other characters. I know that what's coming up is going to change everything with the story, whether it's fairly new or a fairly OG character. There is a long-running plan to this show," he said. "Characters will meet their end, but also some characters will not meet their end -- at least, for a while. There are no immortal characters, I don't mean to say that."

Morgan admitted he didn't realize that there would be a cliffhanger at the end of the episode until he watched the show. "That's just how it was done in my world. I don't know if any of the cast knew how it was going to end," he said. "I think that their expectation of that was the end of the story for that season, and Rick had lost control, and there's Negan, and Negan has all the control. That's where they wanted to end the story. It's not about that person, and then the death of the person is going to kick off Season 7, and Season 7 is going to be a big part of who's on the receiving end of Lucille."

4. What It Was
"'Agitated' is a good word," Morgan said to describe what it was like filming the end of the episode. "It was a very emotional two nights. I think you can see it on the people's faces."

He added, "I was just trying to find that groove of Negan. I only had two days to do it, and that's a hell of an introduction for someone to just come in and do. ... A couple of them didn't make eye contact with me until the second night."

Gimple also called the shoot "unbelievably emotional," especially since everyone knew a character was going to die.

"Obviously, they know that. Everything is incredibly loaded, and then Jeffrey came out and, pun intended, he killed it," Gimple said, adding that this scene was the first time the cast saw Morgan as Negan. "Everything seemed to get more and more real with the performances, with the situation, with just how hard everything was because it was freezing. It wasn't that the performances diminished for as hard as things got. The performances got better and better and better, and they started really good. It was an amazing night."

5. Why Negan Is So Interesting
Morgan said he's been approached by fans of The Walking Dead comics ever since Issue 100 was released with the suggestion from them that he should be the person to play Negan. "I was very aware of the character," he said. "I think what was important is this character is charismatic. ... I never looked at him like [psychotic]. I think there's a lot of similarities between him and Rick. If we were following Negan's story since Season 1 on The Walking Dead, the audience would be rooting for him."

"He is not a bad guy to me," Morgan added. "I never approach it like he's a bad guy."

Gimple described Negan as "very honest," whereas a character like the Governor was "putting on an act. "With Negan, what you see is what you get. He's not putting on any airs. He's not hiding parts of himself," said Gimple. "He doesn't really have these dark motivations behind his actions. I think with Negan it's about positive reinforcement. He has approached the world in a certain way, and the world has rewarded him for that."

6. Rick and Negan Are Two Sides of the Same Coin
There are striking similarities between Negan and Rick's stories, with Gimple admitting that "I actually think if we followed Negan we might actually be in the same place where we are with Rick."

"What you're doing there, that seems like that's the behavior of a bad person. What's interesting is, for Rick's experience, he's justified in what he's been doing. The world has formed him this way," Gimple continued. "What he's done has generally been in a reaction to being threatened and trying to make sure that his people live. Things are getting grayer and grayer and grayer. I think that the things have Rick has done you can hold up against the things that Negan has done. It's not a vast gulf between those two. The way they operate is very different and their philosophies are very different. I think that's maybe where we see one person being the hero and one person being the villain."

7. Responding to Fan Backlash
There was a good amount of backlash to the season finale's ending, and Gimple defended the decision during the conversation.

"If you approach it from a place of skepticism or with the idea that there's some sort of negative motivation behind it or cynical motivation behind it, if you come at it that way it's difficult to convince you otherwise. I do think we've done enough on the show and we deliver a story that people have enjoyed, I guess to ask people to give us the benefit of the doubt that it's all part of a plan," he said. "I truly hope that people see 701 and they feel it justifies how we've decided to tell the story."

Gimple did understand criticisms of some other decisions made this season, like taking Steven Yeun's name out of the credits to make it seem like Glenn had died. "I wanted the audience to go through an emotional experience and I didn't want things like the credits to get in the way of that. I can see if it's looked upon cynically that I'm doing something specifically to not protect the audience but to play with them, but I think it's an incredibly smart and plugged in audience and every cue is looked at I thought it would be safer for their experience to take name out than to leave it in and shrug my shoulders," he said.

"There is a vast audience and people in some ways feel almost that it's their duty to let their opinions be known," Gimple said. "I know the greater story that we're telling and I know why this fits in where this fits in. The hard thing about it is you can't say exactly why you do some of the turns you take because you'll wind up telling details of the story. It's a very weird position to be in. I do know and the writers know and the producers know and the cast and crew knows, we do know why we do what we do, and we know our intentions are good. ... I'd love a little more trust, but I guess it's a good thing for society that people aren't just trusting the things that are coming across the television set."

8. The World Will Open Up in Season 7
"In the next half season, the world is going to open up even more," Gimple said of what's ahead. "We are going to have a wide variety of locals and a wide variety of tone, of character. I'm very excited for all the different stories that are going to be told, and there will be a lot of different stories told. There's going to be probably the biggest variety in stories we've done yet. I can say without spoiling anything that things are going to start off very, very, very dark, because everybody knows where we're starting, but that won't be the whole season. It's not going to be darkness upon darkness upon darkness. I'm very excited for all the individual characters' journeys -- except for the way we start, which will be awful."

Did we already get a first taste of the Kingdom in the armored people who saved Carol and Morgan? "Those guys may or may not have been from the Kingdom, and we may or may not see Ezekiel, but if we do see the Kingdom, it will be a big reveal and it will be another new world to inhabit and explore," Gimple answered coyly.

And what about hopes for Shiva arriving with Ezekiel next season? "I would say in a really cheeky way that we can have a lot of things. People are going to have to wait and see. If I were just watching the show, I'd want to see that tiger," said Gimple.

The show will return to the Hilltop in Season 7 -- and that's good news for Alexandria, because Gimple acknowledged that Rick's community is sorely outnumbered. "The numbers are vast, and really just talking man and woman power, Alexandria's in a good bit of trouble." he said. "There just are many, many, many more Saviors."

9. Where Carol and Morgan Grow in Season 7
Carol and Morgan's respective evolutions, both separate and influencing each other, have been huge talking points of Season 7. When asked to talk about where Carol currently stands, Gimple said, "She killed a lot of people in episode 2. At the end of that episode, she sat on a stoop and cried. That actually was the start of this weight that she was feeling. ... She had reached a point where she was actually comfortable with dying. She has a road to go down and she wants to be alone. That's what that character wants, that's what that character's going after. It will be interesting to see if she gets what she wants, and if she can live with that."

As for Morgan, Gimple said, "I don't think that Morgan has necessarily settled things. He was conflicted starting episode 7. ... Neither one of them wants to kill because they feel the weight of it. They recognize they have to."

10. You Can't Puzzle Out Who Died
Fans have already tried to figure out who died at the end by playing and replaying the final scene, but are there actually enough clues to figure it out? "I believe there is no way," said Gimple. There are a couple things in there that might help people possibly limit the amount of people who are vulnerable, but I will recommend people not to go down that route, because I truly don't think there is a way to puzzle it all out definitively."

That said, he thinks it's inevitable that someone will figure out who died. "These are incredibly smart fans to start with. Then you put it to this incredible crowd-sourcing, and they will get it. People will figure out exactly what happens in episode 1, even know there aren't clues to determine it. And I'm not talking spoilers. I'm saying people will figure it out things in 1 that there's no way there are able to. I've just seen it again and again," Gimple said. "At this point, it's amazing. People figure things out. Granted it might be one comment among a thousand comments, but there is absolutely no doubt someone will figure it out. ... I hope it doesn't become the dominant one."

11. We Will See Heath Again
Even though Corey Hawkins will be starring as the lead in the upcoming 24: Legacy, he will be back again on The Walking Dead. "At this point, we've had to choose your own adventure it a little bit. We're hoping to have him in a certain episode for a certain thing that would lead to another thing. We have a lot of contingency plans," Gimple said. "Luckily I had been thinking about this possibility for a while, and really just tried to find several different ways to get what we wanted to get with the character if we don't get to do it on the exact schedule that we hoped to."

12. The Theme of Season 7
The Walking Dead finds a way to reinvent itself every half season, and Season 7a will similarly have a different theme from what came before. When asked to explain the theme for the first half of the new season, Gimple said it's "How do you begin again? The world is not what they thought it was, so how do you basically start over in this new world, in this place that you had no idea it was what it is. How do you begin again with that?"

"All of these characters, even characters that weren't in that lineup, are in a position where they will learn the world isn't what they thought it was," he continued. "For some of these characters, that won't be wholly negative, but it will challenge them in terms of how they want to move forward and who they want to be."

13. Maggie's Illness Will Be Dealt With
Maggie's illness played a big role in the season finale of The Walking Dead, but it's unclear what exactly she is suffering from, whether it's a miscarriage or otherwise. When asked to clarify, Gimple said, "I don't want to say exactly what it is, but the exact diagnosis will be shared, one way or another. We'll find out one way or another what happened."

14. Carl and Negan Will Have Their Moment... In a Way
When asked if Carl and Negan's relationship will play out in the same way it did in the comics, Gimple quickly responded, "Oh yes, a thousand times yes, but in a very weird [way]. It may be very, very brief, but we will absolutely see them have a pretty intense moment."

He clarified, "There's going to be a bit of remixing. There might be another character involved that takes some of it. That relationship will be absolutely shown. Whether it's with Carl or not, I cannot say. I absolutely want to explore Negan having that strange respect for someone, which I think was the hallmark of that relationship, and tell versions of that story."
Needless to say the locals at The Spoiling Dead forums are NOT happy... here are some of there initial reactions.

What the fuck is Gimple even trying to accomplish with the narrative at this point?

He just seems hell-bent on fucking up all the best parts of the source material.

The first appearance of Negan was completely overshadowed by a stupid cock-tease, now he wants to fuck around with the Negan/Carl storyline from the comics? Both of which are incredibly well received just as they play out in the comics - why fix what ain't broke?

But instead Gimple the Pimple insists on hacking away at the story - rearranging it into some sad, cumbersome Frankenstein's beast, begging for the sweet release of death.

Just... why?

???
Fuck these guys, seriously. With Glenngate, their response was that even though critics hated it, there was generally positive reactions from the viewers. Now that the viewers are pissed off, they're saying it's all part of a larger story and it's 'unfortunate' we will this way.

You know what will be unfortunate? When viewership for the season 7 premiere tanks because the death is leaked months in advance and everybody already knows about it. And I hope it leaks the very first day of filming.

AND to top it off, the Carl/Negan storyline -- which I've been looking forward to for seasons now -- is going to be given to another character per Gimple's comments in this article. Fucking perfect. Love it... /s

I've never been more disappointed in this show. And that's a damn shame coming from me.
UMM WHAT THE FUCK
JUST WHEN I THINK WE'RE GETTING SO DAMN CARL
HE GIVES THAT PLOTLINE TO SOMEONE ELSE
WHAT
THE
FUCK

This plotline DOESN'T NEED TO BE SHARED. After all this wait, we're damn entitled to some Carl. What the fuck. This pisses me off just as much as the cliffhanger tbh
Gimple will give Carl/Negan storyline to another character? Just great. He destroyed Carl's future arc completely...
You've got to be kidding me. That's, like, the kid's arc. It's important to his development as a character. I don't want it to be brief. Watch them give a bunch of it to Morgan.
I can't believe they're going to fuck with Carl's story. Let the boy shine, dammit!
Based on the answers, he's delusional.

And fucking up Carl's story ? Are you kidding me ? It's like they don't know what to do with Carl anymore when the answer is from their own source. Fucking fuckers.
"So this is Carl's plot in the comics as we all know, but we're going to be remixing it a bit, pretty much the entire cast is going to have a tea party with Negan at the sanctuary, trust me.... For the sake of storytelling you will all understand in good time" -Scott Gimple
I'm still very sour over that godawful cliffhanger and while I'm over here trying to get over it, now I read Carl's storyline with Negan might be diminished, giving other parts to another character?!?!?! Are you KIDDING ME GIMPLE!!!!! I swear if he gives this storyline to Daryl (which wouldn't surprise me at this point) I'll lose my fucking mind. Look we all nitpick the show but through it all we still loved it. But this is the first time for me that they truly dropped the ball and I'm very disappointed and worried for the future of the show.
And this is what I've been saying for years... they change shit just for the sake of changing it when there's amazing material to be used. If there's any character on the show right now that needs his/her comic material desperately, it's fucking Carl.

If the bulk of that relationship actually is given to a different character and Carl only gets an "intense moment" - I'm done giving Gimple the benefit of th doubt, especially if its Carol/Daryl.
Wait, he's going to mix up the Negan/Carl storyline and potentially give it to another person? I am pissed off right now, apart from Negan's entrance that is the ONE storyline I was looking forward too in season 7. Does he realise he's completely shattered Carls arc? Let him shine, Riggs has proved multiple times on the show that he can take on a more independent storyline. If he gives it to Enid I'm done with this show, seriously. At this point she is irrelevant.

Even AL said he is looking forward to the Negan/Carl and the Negan/Carl/Rick relationship dynamics. I hope Gimple is trolling us a little.

If anything, during the line up, you could see Negan giving (can't find the right words for this) more respect to Carl. He came down to his level and spoke to him, did that evil grin at him when he told him to lighten up. That line itself can lead to Negan wanting to know more about Carl, a kid who has grown up in the apocalypse. Carl also didn't back down to Negan, he didn't look away, he stared at him right in the eye, even Rick didn't do that. Only Carl and Abe did. So, the storyline should go to Carl, stop changing the material Gimple!
Also, it turns out a good chunk of the cast - including Jeffrey Dean Morgan - had not been clued in to the fact that Sunday's finale would be left as a cliffhanger until it aired.

pacman85

Also, it turns out a good chunk of the cast - including Jeffrey Dean Morgan - had not been clued in to the fact that Sunday's finale would be left as a cliffhanger until it aired.
So, that being said, I"m assuming they did film the whole scene and they are just going to air the rest of the scene at the beginning of 701? Others were saying that it seemed like the writers have no idea who they want to kill off and hadn't decided yet.

So, that being said, I"m assuming they did film the whole scene and they are just going to air the rest of the scene at the beginning of 701? Others were saying that it seemed like the writers have no idea who they want to kill off and hadn't decided yet.

I don't think they did know.

https://twitter.com/chandlerriggs/status/716823431531077632

oOHjILJ.png

Gimple has known for a while who he wanted to die at the end of this episode, but he wouldn't get more specific than that. He did say that every death this scene and moving forward is part of a bigger plan.

idontbelieveyou.gif

Surfinn

I definitely think it'll decrease the tension, seeing that AMC is treating this more like a marketing game than something that should absolutely shake the group (and by extension, the audience) to its core. Casual viewers won't care quite as much, especially once Game of Thrones starts back up, as they would have if the episode would have ended with the full scene, Rick and Negan's parting interaction, maybe someone punching Rick after Negan and the Saviors leave, etc. Not only that, but most hard-core fans will be spoiled by the filming of Season 7 in May, and many casual fans will be spoiled as well thanks to articles written about it, Facebook posts, etc. The scene will not mean as much as soon as everyone who really cares about the show has known who dies for almost 5 months before the first episode of Season 7 airs... and if AMC keeps AMCing, we'll get a handful of episodes about Negan/Dwight's backstories before we end up back where this season left off.

I just hope we get the final bits of that scene in Season 7 and they don't just show who died, then cut to the intro credits, followed by another time-skip with Rick and Co back at Alexandria, however long after this, giving supplies to the Saviors. We'd at least get to see a fan cut of the full scene if we get a version of the events from the comic at some point next season. At this point, I don't even trust AMC to do that right, though.

Yup, I agree with this. However, I think they should stay as far away from time skips as possible, until the obvious and necessary one that comes down the road. The last skip was treated with the least amount of care imaginable (i.e. characters "developing" off camera (Carol), jumping into relationships (Rick, Michonne) simply because time has passed). These writers have proven lazy enough to push major plot points forward without actually having to write them, so as far as I'm concerned, they've lost their shot at doing this effectively.

I wish they at least play the scene out and make it as brutal as possible to salvage some of what the comic accomplished.

Sanke__

I'm not thrilled about the remix of Carl/Negan, but I wonder if it's a necessity since Chandler Riggs isn't the strongest actor in the world?

Exactly what I'm thinking

Gonna be awkward though since it will probably be Daryl

I think the girl could actually pull it off though

Almost a 100% chance that Riggs is fibbing in that tweet. One of the actors in that lineup isn't under contract for S7, and they know who they are, which means the rest of the cast knows, too.

They could have kept them on contract for a few flashback scenes/ dreams or something though

I'm not thrilled about the remix of Carl/Negan, but I wonder if it's a necessity since Chandler Riggs isn't the strongest actor in the world?

I'm leaning more towards he's older, a teenager probably, and wouldn't garner as much of a sympathetic side from Negan. I'm guessing it's going to be Enid since I could see her playing more to his softer side being a young girl and all.

So they're getting shit on for this?

Thank God. It's well deserved.

Honestly, it's not just the cliffhanger for me...I thought the episode itself was kinda trash. I understand the tension being built by having this slow realization that the group was being cornered in, but it mostly just came off as redundant and cheap (Cheap as in, they just didn't wanna spend a lot of money on this episode).

Carol/Morgan....a plot worthy of a non-finale episode maybe, but it didn't work here, especially coupled with the slow, plodding main storyline.

Negan's entrance was good, I'll admit that. Can't blame the character/actor for the cliffhanger.

I'm leaning more towards he's older, a teenager probably, and wouldn't garner as much of a sympathetic side from Negan. I'm guessing it's going to be Enid since I could see her playing more to his softer side being a young girl and all.
Makes complete sense little innocent Carl isn't little anymore. Man I give it to gimple or anyone for that matter that leads tv shows people are just most of the time angry over it not being exactly what they want

They could have kept them on contract for a few flashback scenes/ dreams or something though

That wouldn't really matter- that actor would still know what was going on. Someone coming back just to appear in a few scenes would be getting offered an awful lot less money than they did as a series regular.

That wouldn't really matter- that actor would still know what was going on. Someone coming back just to appear in a few scenes would be getting offered an awful lot less money than they did as a series regular.
Walking dead going to put whoever it is on a brock lesnar/ Rock contract limited appearances lol

fauxtrot

Banned

As much as I dislike that they might have to change the Carl/Negan scenes (which I absolutely love in the comics), it makes sense. Chandler Riggs will be pretty old by the time they would film those scenes, which changes the dynamic quite a bit. Also, the kid's not a great actor, and I don't have much faith that he could pull it off in a way that would still work if they pulled those scenes directly from the source material. I don't know who else they could put in that situation, aside from Enid, but even that seems strange to me. Two bad the two little girls that got offed in the post-prison episode with Tyreese/Carol aren't still around.

I also worry about the Whisperer's arc down the road, as Carl is a huge part of it, but that's too far off to put much thought into. Who knows how long they can even keep the essential actors on this show, regardless of how much money they throw at them to stay.

**GoT Spoilers Ahead**

I know I'm just restating what everyone else has probably already said, but after finally watching the finale last night holy shit what a fucking cop out it is to end a seasoned show like that.

You go for the kill, you go for the knockout punch. I hear GoT getting talked about a lot in comparison to this and it's wrong on so many levels. Those show writers had the balls to off a fan favorite character, this was the cowards way out. People are hyping up GoT to see what happens next, whether
Snow
comes back. The fact that TWD had to end as it did to WANT to have viewers come back because they're upset and want to know who it was is a fucking shame and will continue to be until that show returns (this Fall?)

You'd have just as many people wanting to see what happens next if they would have shown Glenn's face bloody and battered, maybe half his head missing -cut to FPV- starring across the way at a screaming Maggie only to look up & see Lucille then cut to black right as Negan delivers the final blow a la
Oberyn's face exploding
. You'd still have the cool camera effect, the blood, the sound once we fade to black, all of it. Plus Negan would be feared more & people would be pissed just as much but in a GOOD way.

Are you fucking kidding me. I tried so hard to disbelieve all the rumors about the cliffhanger heading in this episode too. Shame on me.

fauxtrot

Banned
In case some of you haven't seen this yet from Mr. Nicotero:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/04/walking-dead-season-finale-greg-nicotero-negan#

GREG NICOTERO: I remember sitting in the theater watching Empire Strikes Back and having Darth Vader say “I am your father” and I was shocked and amazed, and I don’t remember being angry. I don’t remember saying, “Oh, I give up on Star Wars because that’s lame.” It’s an exciting time to be a fan of The Walking Dead. Yeah, it’s agonizing to have to wait, but this was the end of our story, and we have an entirely new story coming up.

The hilarious/frustrating thing about this quote is not just that he's comparing an episode he directed to arguably one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever, but that he totally doesn't get that ESB didn't end anything like TWD's season finale did. In fact, using ESB as an example shows how much more powerful the season finale would have been if we'd have seen the full scene, ending either with Negan riding off into the sunset or after that, when the group reacts to what just occurred / who just died. THAT would have been similar to ESB, at least in the sense that it would have ended at the lowest point ever for the group and having the audience not knowing how they'll be able to regroup and overcome.

-griffy-

Banned
Greg, this would be like if Empire Strikes Back ended with Vader saying "No. Luke, I'm going to tell you something earth shatteringly important. It will change your entire perspective on everything you know. Are you ready? Here it comes...." Fade to black.

Either Gimple and Nicotero are just spewing bullshit out to try and cover their asses, or they genuinely don't get it. I'm honestly inclined to believe the latter at this point.

Also, feel like my prediction was pretty dead on:
Was hearing rumblings so I jumped in here. What's really annoying if the cliffhanger crap ends up being true is you know they're gonna be on Talking Dead acting like it's some bold and brave creative choice they made, rather than doubling down on the bullshit that people hated about the Glenn fake out (wasn't the fake out itself that was the problem really, it was the bullshit ambiguousness and dragging it on for weeks), which will show they didn't actually learn from that mistake or they don't give a shit.

Natiko

Banned
I wonder where they'll wrap up season 7. I know that's looking awfully far ahead, but I can't imagine they'll move along at a particularly brisk pace. They extended the Governor arc to a season and a half after all. It's probably safe to say there's even more chances to pad out Negan's arc. I wonder if they'll extend it out and if so I wonder what stopping point would even be good for the end of season 7.

fauxtrot

Banned
At this point in the story, I can't see them extending the group being under Negan's thumb past Season 7's mid-season finale... I would imagine the second half of next season would be All Out War, but they've done weirder things regarding the show's pacing before, so who really knows.

I wonder where they'll wrap up season 7. I know that's looking awfully far ahead, but I can't imagine they'll move along at a particularly brisk pace. They extended the Governor arc to a season and a half after all. It's probably safe to say there's even more chances to pad out Negan's arc. I wonder if they'll extend it out and if so I wonder what stopping point would even be good for the end of season 7.
Season 7 will end with Rick saying "we're going to war"

Just to bolster my previous point, Reedus admitted on a TV appearance today that he, "knows what happened" in the finale.

http://www.today.com/video/norman-reedus-walking-dead-season-6-finale-had-crew-members-crying-659222595932

Skip to around the 3:20 mark.

He knows. The whole main cast knows. There was never any chance that they didn't.

My preference would be to spend S7A on rebuilding and starting to form the alliance with The Kingdom, and then have S7B cover the "All Out War" arc. But you're probably right. AMC can't help but milk the source material to death at the slowest pace possible.

fauxtrot

Banned
Yeah, even if it's true that they didn't know while shooting the scene (which isn't super likely), there's absolutely no way that the cast doesn't know by this point. They start shooting in May, which means contracts had to be ironed out many months ago.

I have seen a lot of people (not necessarily here) claim that they want to gauge fan reaction with the hashtag to see who they should kill off, but that's pretty much impossible to do with the shooting schedule, contract negotiations, etc. Whoever they killed off has at least known since the beginning of the year.

LycanXIII

My preference would be to spend S7A on rebuilding and starting to form the alliance with The Kingdom, and then have S7B cover the "All Out War" arc. But you're probably right. AMC can't help but milk the source material to death at the slowest pace possible.

If they cover all of All Out War in one season, then they're out of source material. Up until a few issues ago, the comic was in filler mode.

If they cover all of All Out War in one season, then they're out of source material. Up until a few issues ago, the comic was in filler mode.

Not to worry- I know fully well it will never happen that way. For me- 8 hours of screen time should be plenty for adapting ~10 issues of the comic, but AMC will probably string it out to 32 episodes.

Does kirkman have an end game in mind for the comic? How many times does he plan on Rick and company fighting bad communities over and over? I see the new baddie is a woman called alpha who has her own group of evil people?

SArcher

Banned
Does kirkman have an end game in mind for the comic? How many times does he plan on Rick and company fighting bad communities over and over? I see the new baddie is a woman called alpha who has her own group of evil people?

I'm pretty sure Kirkman has made it clear that he'll be writing the comic as long as it sells and expects the comic to continue long after the TV series has finished.

He's busy currently writing Negan origin comic.

JustinBB7

The sad part is, back when the rumors started about the cliffhanger, some people in this thread were saying stuff like: I can just imagine talking dead afterwards #whodies

And they did just that... fuck AMC

Somehow he manages to keep it interesting. Book has been on fire since Negan stepped down as the big bad.

Natiko

Banned
Yeah, you're probably right. That would make one think there won't be enough typical action in the next season comparatively but they've come up with random changes for the sake of padding and violence before, they can do it again.

Lakitu

st5fu
Hopefully with the amount of criticism they've got from this, AMC will rethink about pulling this kind of shit again.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
In case some of you haven't seen this yet from Mr. Nicotero:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/04/walking-dead-season-finale-greg-nicotero-negan#

GREG NICOTERO: I remember sitting in the theater watching Empire Strikes Back and having Darth Vader say “I am your father” and I was shocked and amazed, and I don’t remember being angry. I don’t remember saying, “Oh, I give up on Star Wars because that’s lame.” It’s an exciting time to be a fan of The Walking Dead. Yeah, it’s agonizing to have to wait, but this was the end of our story, and we have an entirely new story coming up.

The hilarious/frustrating thing about this quote is not just that he's comparing an episode he directed to arguably one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever, but that he totally doesn't get that ESB didn't end anything like TWD's season finale did. In fact, using ESB as an example shows how much more powerful the season finale would have been if we'd have seen the full scene, ending either with Negan riding off into the sunset or after that, when the group reacts to what just occurred / who just died. THAT would have been similar to ESB, at least in the sense that it would have ended at the lowest point ever for the group and having the audience not knowing how they'll be able to regroup and overcome.
It's kind of cute that they're doing these comparisons to other shows/movies and saying "cliffhangers aren't bad, guys!". The problem isn't that it was a cliffhanger, it's that it was a shitty cliffhanger.

It's so disingenuous when they do this. It's like Snyder talking about how many people died in TFA in response to MoS criticism.

dustyherb

He's said something about going up to issue 300 possibly beyond. As long as he enjoys doing it and the comic is still selling well he won't stop anytime soon. And yes the new baddie is a woman called Alpha and her group is called the whisperers. They wear zombie skins and have their own personal zombie horde.

UberTag

I have seen a lot of people (not necessarily here) claim that they want to gauge fan reaction with the hashtag to see who they should kill off, but that's pretty much impossible to do with the shooting schedule, contract negotiations, etc. Whoever they killed off has at least known since the beginning of the year.
Gauging fan reaction with this move was NEVER part of the equation.
It MIGHT have been with the Glenn dumpster stunt which conveniently took place roughly a month before they filmed he Lucille scene.
But it most definitely has nothing to do with these cliffhanger shenanigans.

He's said something about going up to issue 300 possibly beyond. As long as he enjoys doing it and the comic is still selling well he won't stop anytime soon. And yes the new baddie is a woman called Alpha and her group is called the whisperers. They wear zombie skins and have their own personal zombie horde.
Nice is Paul still around? I'd like to see this group on tv

I need to understand something that doesn't make sense. In that interview one of you posted with Norman Reedus, he claims he knows who dies and how the rest of that scene plays out.

"Cast members were upset. Lauren couldn't sleep that night. Andrew was sick to his stomach. Some of the crew were crying and people threw their scripts"

I'm paraphrasing of course, but he claims he knows. So, how is it that Chandler Riggs claims on Twitter "if it makes you feel any better, I don't know who dies"?

Not making a lot of sense.

ZeroCDR

I'm paraphrasing of course, but he claims he knows. So, how is it that Chandler Riggs claims on Twitter "if it makes you feel any better, I don't know who dies"?

He's probably lying, in a futile effort to avoid these sorts of questions directed at him and other cast members.

It would be an insane waste of resources to not film the entire scene then, at worst they've filmed multiple versions of the death among several characters if they're actually indecisive and focus testing. Perfect continuity for that scene would be a nightmare picking it back up next month.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I need to understand something that doesn't make sense. In that interview one of you posted with Norman Reedus, he claims he knows who dies and how the rest of that scene plays out.

"Cast members were upset. Lauren couldn't sleep that night. Andrew was sick to his stomach. Some of the crew were crying and people threw their scripts"

They literally say this for every midseason and season finale. Most of the time, nobody dies in the season finales.

Even though from a production angle, it would make more sense to just film the entire scene with whomever they decided to kill off...I believe Riggs when he says it isn't in the script. They were probably concerned about the script leaking, or video coming out (like it did). If they filmed the entire scene, it still would have ended on a cliffhanger. But to have the person leak a few months ago would have taken even more wind out of their sails. Going by how the entire scene is edited to purposely disguise who Negan might have picked, I'm guessing they decided on this awhile ago.

And now that I think about it, it's not really a big deal to recreate the scene. They were just in a dirt lot, surrounded by extras with spotlights. They could have filmed multiple scenes with different characters, but they easily could have said " We'll pick it up next season" with whatever twist they want to throw on the death

RedStep

Easy: AMC leadership decided to spare that sweet summer child and just told him that Negan beats up a locked chest (to get the twinkies inside).

Top Bottom