• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Zero Time Dilemma Spoiler Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Jintor

I have to think ultimately I'm more basking in the fact that this was made at all and that it has successfully mindfucked me the way it has, than in it being a truly satisfying end in and of itself. The game was definitely the best it's ever been, I think, between the fragments, piecing together the actual timeline of the game itself, the link between all that and everything.

But the overall ending... man. I don't know. I'm really oscillating here.

Jintor

I actually like the game's more unified interpretation. One concept brought up during the game is that a person without memories is essentially reborn, since your memories are what layer onto your genetics to make you an individual. Morphogenticizing and SHIFTing are just two sides of the same coin, a distinction without a difference; if Junpei and Akane send everything they know to a separate Junpei and Akane right before they die, is there really a discernible difference between that and SHIFTing? The quantum computer does the same thing, through the same morphogenetic field. The only difference is that the characters from each of the three games came up with separate names for the phenomenon.

I like this a lot, though I have to say I wish it had expounded on it more actually in-game

What about Phi's brooch? Where did it come from originally? The object is stuck in a time loop...

That's fine, because so is Akane... still...

D-Man

Honestly, I'm not disappointed but just confused. Who was Kyle and ? controlling? Didn't the VLR Q and A say Left would be there "not as we know him"? If Delta is brother did he really make Free The Soul just cause his step brother died?

I expected more answers but ended up with more questions instead.

SoulUnison

Banned
But the overall ending... man. I don't know. I'm really oscillating here.

Mira and Q's Epilogue Adventure A.K.A. "We learned nothing from this whole ordeal" leaves an awful taste in my mouth.

All the Epilogue Files are saccharine sweet fanfic endings, really.

Nibel

Finished this too like 8 hours ago, and after some sleep I think I'm ready to write some thoughts about it.

Overall I enjoyed it a lot but also acknowledge its issues. But.. the fact that this game exists is still a miracle which is why I'm not surprised that some things had to be left out, or that the game didn't give some events enough room to breath, or that the presentation wasn't as polished as possible - this is a low-budget ZE compared to both VLR and 999 yet still works for the most part. Kudos to the team deliver such good work with the means they had.

Zero/Brother/Delta is one sly motherfucker who let the characters go through hell in all the other timelines to not only ensure his own mindhack ability but to make sure that all the people he gathered realize that they are special as well.. well, other for that simp Eric and Mira, but hey. And the most insane part is that he is absolutely right about everything that happens; heck, I think even Sigma and Phi can't say anything since the VLR events and the stuff that Brother did before VLR didn't happen yet. It's fucking crazy and I love it.

As for the complaints about the alien devices: guys, this is a series that has telepathy, teleportation, time travel and other goofy sci-fi shit in it, and at least they included the alien stuff into the game without it feeling like an asspull (that device seems to be important for 1904 Phi)

I kinda expect a potential Zero Escape 4 since ZTD made me feel the same way VLR did at the end. The group is together and able to SHIFT, Zero/Delta/Brother revealed himself and the true intention of the Radical-6 plan and now there is a much larger threat on the horizon.

So yeah: might not be the best Zero Escape game, but the story was fantastic for most of the time, puzzles have been 90% great and I'm thankful that this happened. A special game that was created under special circumstances

NotLiquid

Honestly, I'm not disappointed but just confused. Who was Kyle and ? controlling? Didn't the VLR Q and A say Left would be there "not as we know him"? If Delta is brother did he really make Free The Soul just cause his step brother died?

I expected more answers but ended up with more questions instead.

Delta made Free The Soul for the same reasons Akane did the first Nonary Game - to set up a stable time loop that can will their existences into being.

Free The Soul is to Delta what Crash Keys is to Akane - an organization that they can use to further their goals. It's likely that his organization was how Delta could even set up the Decision Game. Much like Crash Keys though, FTS ends up having secondary motives, as FTS ends up creating a Radical-6 outbreak to save billions, while Crash Keys sets up the AB Project to harness SHIFTing and save the past.

Jintor

In terms of looking at the series as a whole, here's how I consider each game:

999 certainly had the most emotional impact of the series, in my opinion. It had a fairly simple setup, as far as the rest of the series, and was quite effective in getting you to really care for the characters and build up to the ending.

VLR probably had the best twists and general plot structure of all the games. I think the story was the most solid.

ZTD for me was the best execution of the concepts the games were reaching for. Especially with the fragment system and the timeline stretching out later, and with jumping around to multiple timelines while remaining on a single path.

I agree with this entirely.

---

Searching around the web, Q shadows in Pod Room:

lqyxYYE.jpg

ZeKFN7Y.jpg

ehQZHmY.jpg

Jintor

I'm gonna be honest though, even though Junpei was the asshole contrarian, I still think Akane should've kept more of the Machiavellien Zero she was revealed as in the first game to eventually be.

That said I was pretty hype about that ring he gave her

/edit oh btw. Phi is her own adoptive mother. lmao. Didn't realise until just then

//edit I feel like there's a lot of thought put into the game from the level regarding time travel shennangianry, SHIFTing, and metanarratives, but it's going to take a while for me to piece it together and i absolutely shouldn't be doing that over the next two days... or indeed next two months. I'll try and hammer something out eventually.

//edit I feel like there's a lot of thought put into the game from the level regarding time travel shennangianry, SHIFTing, and metanarratives, but it's going to take a while for me to piece it together and i absolutely shouldn't be doing that over the next two days... or indeed next two months. I'll try and hammer something out eventually.
I agree, while the ending wasn't perfect, it's clear that a lot of effort has been put to make the various timelines and jumps make sense and have no holes; that's probably why there were overall less than the previous game.

In the end we didn't learn anything about Quark, did we? How he was very resistant and got off accidents without getting hurt.

Jintor

uchikoshi should've gone and just tied him into Sean just for the hell of it

It feels to me like the ending works really well from a metanarrative standpoint but at the expense of the story standpoint. Like the cheesy JRPG we'll make this future with our own hands things really... well, to put it bluntly, it kinda sucked. It was kinda redeemed with Delta tossing them the gun, but that ending... eh.

/edit oh my fucking god. The three-way standoff ending is called triangle

TRIANGLE.

Delta.png

MOTHER FUCKING DELTA

NotLiquid

I never thought the Transporter was that hard to swallow. The game could have easily done away with saying it was a machine created to crudely replicate the morphogenetic field effect while the "alien remnant" angle was mostly there for the mystique and puzzles. It could just as well have been ancient technology.

Hell this series has seen weirder and it ain't the first time it introduces it's own new set of rules way late into the game.

Jintor

yeah. heck if they had just said it was a mysterious artifact that had sent itself back in time or some bullshit that would've been fine.

Bogeypop

The animosity most people are having towards the Transporter is due to the science fiction elements of the games being grounded in quasi-science and hinted at throughout the events of the games before being expounded upon during major plot reveals, whereas the introduction of alien technology appears as a contrivance; to merely move along the plot with no prior hints of its possible inclusion.

Jintor

right, which is why if it had been tied into all the previously mentioned quasi science (especially schrodinger's cat lmao... I can't believe he basically jettisonned the entirity of the VLR another time section) it would've probably been okay...

/edit do you need to hit any of the killswitches besides carlos' one?

Bogeypop

right, which is why if it had been tied into all the previously mentioned quasi science (especially schrodinger's cat lmao... I can't believe he basically jettisonned the entirity of the VLR another time section) it would've probably been okay...

I agree, if they had at least hinted the existence of aliens prior to the Transporter reveal it would be easier to swallow, and wouldn't come off as everyone's favorite meme:

5nojwrs.jpg

That coupled with plot holes and people not satisfied every loose end was tied up only serves to further fuel the hate for the Transporter.

Jintor

I agree, if they had at least hinted the existence of aliens prior to the Transporter reveal it would be easier to swallow, and wouldn't come off as everyone's favorite meme:

That coupled with people not satisfied every loose end was tied up only serves to further fuel the hate for the Transporter.

you know now that i think about it Uchikoshi was fucking talking about the ancient aliens guy on twitter like two weeks ago. goddamnit uchikoshi

---

damnit, i was going to say something, but it slipped my mind. I'm gonna have to SHIFT in from another timeline after I get the necessary info

Jintor

Oh right, I remember what I was going to say.

I fucking love that Uchikoshi made what everybody assumed was the joke ending actually relevant to the rest of the story. Also it makes more sense why the joke ending is forced on every player at the start of the game no matter what colour they choose.

Bogeypop

The more I think about it the more I think aliens were a dropped plot point where they could have included Ancient astronaut theory and tied in Alice/All-Ice/Amen-Ra to the Transporter as well as the mandrake root, and the origin of Mandrain-β/Soporil β. (which was hinted to be important as to why it was referred to as Beta, and not explained)

Bogeypop

Holy fuck! The Zero is Delta hints don't stop! The name of the game is a hint to Zero's identity! Zero Time Dilemma is an anagram for Me? I'm Zero. I'm Delta.
Not something I came up with myself. Saw it elsewhere..

Jintor

Holy fuck! The Zero is Delta hints don't stop! The name of the game is a hint to Zero's identity! Zero Time Dilemma is an anagram for Me? I'm Zero. I'm Delta.

UCHIKOSHIIIIIIIIIIIII

I really like that the VLR ending seems wrong at first because Junpei and Akane are dead in it, and then later they fix that problem.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta admit, I'm still conflicted on the whole Delta twist, it feels really contrived and didn't really add anything. 999 and VLR's big twists weren't just twists for the sake of having a twist, Junpei didn't realize he was communicating with Akane in the former, and Sigma didn't realize his age in the latter, but in ZTD everyone except the player already knows the existence of Q, so it really just feels like an unnecessary twist to the story that changes nothing. It also felt pretty clumsily delivered too.

I did really like the reveal that they're all in the same ward, and the events aren't simultaneous, since it didn't feel like it came out of nowhere unlike the Q one, but that didn't really add much either, other than provide an explanation for how Mira is responsible for a few murders. The way the flowchart changed after that reveal was also a really nice touch. Would've been nice if the Q-Team icon changed into an image of Delta after that reveal too but oh well.

Still absolutely loved the game, the fragments system, the puzzles, the soundtrack etc. were all fantastic. The way the C and D endings tied into VLR was also ridiculously satisfying, even if we never got any Kyle payoff. And despite my feelings on the Delta twist, it is fun to replay the game and notice the small hints they drop.

Beat the game last night. I'm still processing all the info from the morphogenetic field, but here are some of my thoughts.

Firstly, I REALLY liked the game, especially since it was nearly not made. As a whole, most of the game was fantastic and, as I suspected, the big shift in style quickly grew on me and I don't think I could go back.

However I do agree there's a LOT more they could have done and I was honestly expecting more because of the build up from VLR and because it's the final game in the series (for now).

The ending was cool, but nowhere near as satisfying or mindblowing as 999 or VLR. It got its job done though and I'm happy to move on. The post-event fanfics were cheesy as hell, but I can get behind them as well.

Actually, I thought the Eric and Mira one (which would have been a total no-no in any other game) was very fitting since all timelines exist simultaneously so there had to have been (or there will be) a timeline where Eric's mother turned left.

Let's see... I really love the ending that led up to VLR and the Twins ending. Kind of baffled how they never showed Akane at the Free the Soul ritual, but I guess it's up for interpretation what she saw.

The wards being the same you could eventually guess. The box and Gab were big clues. Love how they used the augmented reality tech from the Healing Room to do it though. Honestly, I was starting to wonder if the three teams were separated by several years (not 90 mins), which I thought would have been cool as well.

Gab was awesome, but I feel like he/she/it was a red herring or worse an unsolved mystery. I'll just pretend Gab is Kyle unless a better theory comes up.

Sean being a robot was amazing. Not the biggest twist ever, considering we got a robot in VLR already, but I liked how in your face they were about it. Plus we got to explore some interesting computer themes.

The Delta twist was OK. It was shocking at first, but like somebody said, it mostly boiled down to "oh, it doesn't really contradict anything" rather than "OMG, my world is turned upside down" like the whole old Sigma business.

By the way, I swear you can see the corner of an actual red wheelchair in one of the earlier scenes. Can't remember which one though. It also could be my imagination or deja vu. Oops, starting to sound like the Decision Game players now.

Anything else? Oh yeah, I felt like the returning characters were kinda just "there" for most of the game, but I suppose I can forgive that since they already had their major moments in their respective games. Plus you could say the same for Clover in VLR.

Nothing major, but I was expecting Phi to have a bigger role, rather than this simply being her origin story. The scene where she knew things that Sigma didn't know was really cool and I was half-expecting it to play out bigger, like maybe she could help Sigma piece things together.

Finally, I was expecting some really crazy twist along the lines of the world is a virtual reality or made by aliens. They kind of teased this with the Quantum Computer and Sean's "happy ending" plus the alien tech. These twists have been done before, but I think ZTD could have really expanded on them.

Oh, actually, I suspected Radical-6 was released to save humanity, so I'm slightly disappointed I guessed right. I did like the FBR and Radical-6 thing though. I assume FBR (in the Biolab at least) never existed and was simply a metaphor (the "Fanatic" bit is a dead giveaway)? That way, whenever Q-team is injected with Radical-6, FBR never counters it.

Pretty sure there's more, but that'll do for now : )

Jintor

Yeah I wasn't exactly sure what the point of the bits where Sigma thought he was in the normal "Diana picked (not murder)" history and Phi thought they were in the "Diana picked (murder)" history. And why Diana couldn't remember (Mind Hack I guess?)

I was so sure the Quantum Computing was going to be the lead-in to Blick Winkle or whatever

NotLiquid

The main reason I find myself agreeing with the Delta twist is that every Zero Escape game including this one has always based it's own antagonist mentality behind something pertaining to the games' own framing device.

In 999 it was easy to relate to Junpei because we saw things from his first person perspective. He was the vehicle of the plot and the fact that the monologues depicted things from his perspective meant that we all assumed it was a story about him; only it eventually turns out that wasn't the case - the monologue was written to describe his perspective because the one we were playing from was actually Akane's, who was the real antagonist all along.

VLR immediately dispels any potential assumption about this idea being repeated and instead zeroes in on making the monologues purely first person, to show that yes, Sigma maintains complete autonomy for the most of the part, and this time we can actually believe that no one is trying to control or influence him through the game's own framing device. But the 999 twist remains intact by again having the person monologuing be the antagonist, and since that's the protagonist this time it comes across yet again as a surprise. All of those twists create a huge level of hindsight that were hinted at and make more sense upon replays; especially VLR since by only showing us Sigma's perspective we're not privy to the giant elephant in the room that would have given away his entire identity and role.

I think that's why I had a little bit of suspicion when it was revealed that ZTD wasn't going to go for a traditional visual novel style but have full cinematics, and wasn't even going to have inner monologues for the player characters in the first place. Once more it carries over it's main twist from a previous game (this time from VLR) where we're negligent to the actual situation because we're not allowed to see what the other characters are actually aware of. Again, it preyed into the narrative framing device that was only possible to do because of how the game was now third person with cutscenes only showing us what each character does and acts, not what they think. It's been something of a trademark for Uchi to do this in Zero Escape, not blowing the lid open because of a shocker twist (even though the games have a LOT of those) but base the main crux around the way the game itself is a game.

I imagine the main reason it didn't go down perfectly is because there are a lot of questions that didn't necessarily get answered as quickly or encompassing as they should have been. The game still has hindsight embedded into it of course, but maybe it wasn't enough. That said it's still not that more of a stretch than VLR handled it's twist on Sigma. After all there are way too many convenient factoids that exist only so that they're allowed to have that twist; namely things like Radical-6 slowing down reaction time and the game taking place on the moon so Sigma would never notice his body is old and frail. In the end I think only 999 had any sort of twist to it that didn't have way too many convenient excuses for things that happened, but the series already asks you to uphold a massive suspension of disbelief considering the insane science theory exposition that's unloaded on you in such bulk with every game. The scripts in these games come across as more unedited than even the Metal Gear games.

So anyway the best thing about ZTD is how it manages to make the joke ending the actually canon/true ending.

Jintor

I wonder to what extent I was right with my old theory

a) 999: Zero was the love interest
b) VLR: Zero was the protagonist
c) ZTD: Zero was you, the player

Like, Delta is obviously meant to to some extent to represent the player, but the analogy is not complete

Like, Delta is obviously meant to to some extent to represent the player, but the analogy is not complete

I think it's quite close to the truth. For one, some of the decision choices have the characters questioning why they picked it, which could be Delta's mind hacking.

Granted, I'm not sure about the extent of his powers, like can he do it when he's not in the same room? Plus, do those scenes ever occur when Delta is dead?

NotLiquid

I literally think this is what it's meant to be. He's a character with the power to control every other character. No one assumes anything about him because he sits there in plain sight unwavering. His motives are described as "complex" and I imagine that might be because every player have different reasons for wanting to play. In one timeline he solved the issue of the world succumbing to complete genocide by killing a majority of everyone else. In one timeline he solved the needs of those few people we know and love, even at the risk of mankind facing extinction (the Apocalypse/Payoff endings as polar opposites are literally the trolley problem in full effect). No matter which one of those was the outcome, he still seemed largely okay with it because they all come with their upsides and downsides - much like I think we as players must realize that the VLR ending still seems like the most "favorable" ending if it's a matter of allowing the world they live in to continue existing. Like I've said once before, the game gets into some Undertale meta-level shit about why the player is still "playing".

It's especially interesting how the ending where you find his identity is the one he actively ends once he decides he has "no use for it". I imagine it's because not only did Radical-6 not get released, but a majority of the players in the game had died, so either way it was not a favorable outcome. Also note that he only kills you after you get the code for the computer - which might tie into the player themselves knowing that this timeline is pointless and that they're only there got the clue they need for the real ending.

Bogeypop

It all comes back to Uchikoshi's favorite plot device and twist: Perspective.

In 999 you were Junpei, clueless to everything that was on the bottom screen and Akane and Santa's overall masterplan.

Same with Sigma who was oblivious to himself not only in his own project, but appearance as well.

It was in ZTD; however, where Uchikoshi deviates from this and instead replaces ignorance with truth. You are Delta. You are Zero. You are all-knowing. "Me? I'm Zero. I'm Delta." The anagram title of the game says all you need to know.

Q-Team were definitely the weakest new characters with their motivations/purposes simply explained by their X-Passes: EYE (SEAN), FOOL (ERIC), KILL (MIRA). Which is a shame considering how fully fleshed out all the new characters (and old) were in VLR.
Weren't the X-Passes for Q actually for Delta all along? EYE makes a mind-blowing amount of sense there.

Jintor

I think it's quite close to the truth. For one, some of the decision choices have the characters questioning why they picked it, which could be Delta's mind hacking.

Granted, I'm not sure about the extent of his powers, like can he do it when he's not in the same room? Plus, do those scenes ever occur when Delta is dead?

he dies in the branch of fate where q team is executed. Um... I think all three protags claim to feel themselves being pushed or not being in control. (I laughed when Junpei told Carlos "It's perfectly normal to not feel entirely in control of your actions! I felt that way all the time!")

It's especially interesting how the ending where you find his identity is the one he actively ends once he decides he has "no use for it". I imagine it's because not only did Radical-6 not get released, but a majority of the players in the game had died, so either way it was not a favorable outcome. Also note that he only kills you after you get the code for the computer - which might tie into the player themselves knowing that this timeline is pointless and that they're only there got the clue they need for the real ending.

This confused me heavily because he starts talking about a quantum computer operator beforehand which made me theorise he was actively trying to develop Q/Sean into a Blink Winkle/ ?-style character player-avatar. But, nope

In 999 you were Junpei, clueless to everything that was on the bottom screen and Akane and Santa's overall masterplan.

Same with Sigma who was oblivious to himself not only in his own project, but appearance as well.

It was in ZTD; however, where Uchikoshi deviates from this and instead replaces ignorance with truth. You are Delta. You are Zero. You are all-knowing. "Me? I'm Zero. I'm Delta." The anagram title of the game says all you need to know.

Holy shit, never even considered the title would be an anagram too

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Weren't the X-Passes for Q actually for Delta all along? EYE makes a mind-blowing amount of sense there.

Definitely. Sean was never officially a participant of the game, the files confirm that he was not once ever referred to as Q.
Him dying doesn't reveal an X-Pass, nor is his name on the board.
This makes the suspicion Eric has of him much more understandable than just having a weird helmet.

Bogeypop

Of course the EYE X-Pass could simply be referring to Delta and how he literally has an "eye" on everything that goes on.

However, I also think since Sean stated he was created to be Zero's accomplice, and Delta says he does not have the power to SHIFT, Sean's consciousness stored in the Quantum Computer with access to the many timelines could be said to be Delta's "EYEs" as far as Sean is concerned.

Of course the EYE X-Pass could simply be referring to Delta and how he literally has an "eye" on everything that goes on.

However, I also think since Sean stated he was created to be Zero's accomplice, and Delta says he does not have the power to SHIFT, Sean's consciousness stored in the Quantum Computer with access to the many timelines could be said to be Delta's "EYEs" as far as Sean is concerned.
But Sean doesn't actually die, except in that one ending where Zero presents him the choice. And it's suspicious that whenever Sean "dies" on his own it cuts to a Game Over before the casualties can be announced.

SilentRob

Zero Time Dilemma -> Me I'm Zero I'm Delta

Oh my sweet Jesus, are you serious Uchikoshi?

Bogeypop

But Sean doesn't actually die, except in that one ending where Zero presents him the choice. And it's suspicious that whenever Sean "dies" on his own it cuts to a Game Over before the casualties can be announced.

I don't necessarily mean Sean dies. It ties back into Uchikoshi's perspective trick before you discover Q is Zero and are still equating Sean to be Q and thus associating the EYE X-Pass to Sean.

I think the final decision of this game -I mean the one of killing Delta or not- could have been actually a real decision for the player. Then the answer could be registered on an online poll using the same method that Life is Strange did.

For example, in the end I found that this weird and crazy as shit guy called "Brother" who was behind every damn bad thing of the previous games was actually a really smart guy using his unique power to decrease the losses as much as he could. On the other hand, I could see people thinking that he's still a crazy, sadistic old man with too much power

It's like the typical "ends justifies the means" dilemma.

*Clap clap*

Does this still work in the Japanese version? It was just "Time Dilemma", right? Oh I guess you could look at the romaji spelling.

mStudios

I'm still annoyed at the ending.

VLR final ending was like two FULL hours of emotions, explanations, twists and theories and shit.
Luna's ending was like another FULL hour.

Hell, every ending was sooo fantastic.

ZTD endings are like: Here's how it's done and deal with it xddddddd

:'(

Jintor

No, I don't think it works in Japanese... but then again Japanese punning is like twenty levels deep. (Jilemma is in katakana though which limits it somewhat)

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
*Clap clap*

Does this still work in the Japanese version? It was just "Time Dilemma", right? Oh I guess you could look at the romaji spelling.

Only "Dilemma" was written in Katakana in the Japanese title. It was "Zero Escape: Toki no Jirenma". So no, it doesn't work.

Jintor

well D-Team 2 ending was like Oh, Uchikoshi wrote this short film he'd like you to watch.

Probably my favourite ending actually.

Top Bottom