• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Is that based on another work of the School Rumble guy? Because he dragged that series out to point I don't want to watch another adaptation of his work.
You don't have to worry about that. Even though the manga dragged on until the end, the anime did so poorly that you'll never get far enough to suffer through that!

Please Shaft just give us a Natsu no Arashi S3 and Vampire Bund S2 and end the misery. You're making enough from Madoka and Bake/Nise aren't you? :(

ZetaEpyon

Hihi!

Well, as mentioned
either something happened to Mizuho betond the scope of the original series that we don't know about, or the entire AnoNatsu is in a parallel universe where things don't turn out so rosy for our original heroes. But it certainly feels like a lot of time has passed between OT and AnoNatsu... Lemon/Ichigo's current job kinda confirms it, as well as the current state of the lake compared to the 'memory.'
Near the end of OT, everyone got their memories wiped, so it's not impossible that Mizuho left the message during that time and before Kei remembered her. That still wouldn't resolve the time issue, though.

Thoraxes

In for:

Apollon
Hyouka
Tsuritama
Korean Zombie Desk Car 2
Lupin (hopefully doesn't turn out bad)
Saint Seya
Loli Cthulu
E7 AO
Medaka box
Upotte!
Fate/Zero 2

Will probably only actually keep up with Apollon, Hyouka, E7, and Zombie.

Solune

And no passing love for Medaka (at least until it gets up to the manga) or Sankarea? Poor Rea, you've been forsaken and tossed aside for Deen to mutate you into a horrible on-screen abomination. :(
20120229_1847109.jpg

Kumagawa Box or bust. As for Sankarea I'll be lamenting enjoying it, DEEN or not...

Posted it before, but I shall again.

Watching start to finish
Saint Seiya Omega
Zetman
Medaka Box
Sankarea
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Naruto SD (unless it lasts forever and the manga drops in quality at some point)
Phi Brain: God's Boner
Korean Zombie Desu Ka 2
Fate/Zero 2
One Piece HD

Checking out with decently sized interest
Space Bros
Jormungand
Accel World
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san

Checking out with cautious optimism
Tsuritama
Upotte!

Crazy season even if I think last spring was better.

Jarmel

Banned
I want to look forward to Ao. I really really really want to like the show.

I won't though because it looks like a bastardization of IS.

7Th said:
To sleep to!
No. Noir is great.

Ultimadrago said:
Milky Holmes 7

Ha, I swear these girls have spoken on food for over five minutes in every episode thus far!
But if all I got were a potato a day, I would too.
Yeah, pretty much true on both points... :)

In fact, Milky Holmes' obsession with food only grows over time. By season 2... well, you'll see.

The walkie-talkie scene transitions made me chuckle. If anything, for how random they felt.
The series certainly has its share of random humor, for sure.

Yeah, headphones police girl is cool, in either human or octopus form. :)

Okay, so I'm not getting this. Is the relationship between Phantom Thieves and Detectives hostile or more of a light-hearted rivalry?
Henriette seems to be one of the main thieves Milky Holmes kept an eye on in their "powered" detective days, but yet Henriette/Arsene never fails to help, understand and assist Milky Holmes. It's kinda confusing me. Either I'm taking the tension between the groups too seriously, or there's an underlying factor yet unexplained?
That is explained at some point, but I don't how if it has been yet in at that point... if you want a spoiler though (and it is actually a not too unreasonable reason really),
Arsene wants strong opposition. She gets bored when she can just take stuff without a struggle, and Milky Holmes were some of the few people actually able to challenge her. And so she wants Milky Holmes to get their powers back so she can be challenged again.

Apart from that, that episode -- the beach episode -- is one of the more fanservicey ones, but it's not too overdone, and the episode is pretty funny; it maintains that Milky Holmes humor in good form. :)

Ha, the Cordelia knockouts got me a bit. The stripping scene as well. "Just Strip NORMAL, WOULD YOU?!

Also Cordelia is confirmed to be a batshit crazed delusional again. I love it!
Cordelia probably is my least favorite of the four, but yeah, her delusions are amazing stuff... :)

Also coolio,
Nero got some powa back in this one. She's my fav Milky member thus far, so this pleases me.
They'll all get some of that.
And then lose it again ASAP, of course.

Overall, fun episode with some typical beach elements.

Note: Yes, the NSFW's I put up aren't bad, but I'd rather take it safe just in case anyone's employer/employee/whoever saw it scrolled through.
I don't know if those needed to be just links or not, they're really not that bad... maybe, maybe not?

Branduil

Must watch:

Kids on the Slope

Will watch with high hopes:

Space Bros
Saint Seiya Omega
Fate/Zero 2
Tsuritama
Hyouka
Lupin

Will attempt to watch the first episode:

Zetman
Jormungand
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Tasogare OtomexAmnesia
Sankarea

Will experience great suffering while watching the entire thing:

AKB0048

Tizoc

Best anime season in a while IMO, but does anyone have the image that lists all of this season's anime?
EDIT: NVM, thanks branduil...so uh what do we know about the Thomas cgi series?

Eurrreeeeka 43

Man, how can anime folks dance and exposition at the same time? I have a hard enough time just dancing.

leopard seed!

Maybe I should check out the movie someday... Gaf seems to LooOOOVE it enough to deny it!

Jex

The Legend of Korra

Director(s): Michael Dante DiMartino & Bryan Konietzko (listed as creators with any further details unclear)
Studio: Studio Mir/Nickelodean Animation Studios
Air Date: 4/14/2012
Site: Korranation.tumblr.com
Stream: Hell no. The show airs on Nick, for christ’s sake.

What is this trolling?

(Good thread title though).

squidyj

So....

Korra

The new Watanabe + Kanno team up focused on Jazz Music (right into my veins please).

and is that a Captain Harlock remake? no? nevermind then.

Another

The biggest problem with horror in anime is that there simply isn't very much of it. The characteristic result of any entry in such a barren niche, then, is an overriding effort to be everything to everyone. The thing that Higurashi did right was focus only on what it wanted to be. It told a relatively straightforward story and it did so without any attempts at shoehorning every trope that exists in horror just for the sake of having it there. It should surprise no one then that Higurashi is probably the only memorably good horror anime this century.

The biggest problem with Another, then, was it's overriding effort to be everything to everyone. The whole thing was like they put every horror trope you could think of into a blender and set it to puree and see what the bloody disgusting mess that comes out looks like. The whole thing was a series of random horror tropes connected by a bunch of subplots which weren't any other use than driving the story forward to the next trope. The tone of the series changed almost constantly for this reason as it lurched from one random thing to the next.

And then the whole story just degenerates at the end to a disappointingly anticlimactic ending, since it turns out
the whole time the main character knew what the audience wasn't allowed to know until the end.
This is the most annoying kind of storytelling, which only serves to mock the audience rather than create any tension. Then again, by the end the director of Blood-C had abandoned all pretense of giving a fuck and just served up a bunch of random gratuitous bloodshed for no apparent reason. If this sounds at all familiar, it should. This director seems to like mocking the audience, the son of a bitch.

Ultimately, Another is an example of a series which was less than the sum of it's parts. Combining equal parts Stephen King, John Saul, Corpse Party, Higurashi, Final Destination, and eyepatch moe should have resulted in something glorious. Instead, it ended up being kind of flat, and I'm not talking about Mei's DFC here. It was certainly well-animated and the art design was top-notch, and the show really took pains with it's nicely crafted soundscape. It's too bad the story ended up trainwrecking at the end after most of the series was spent setting up something that should have been quite awesome but decidedly wasn't.

At the beginning, I would have said that Another was a sure entry in my top 10 this year. Now at the end, I'm not sure how much of it I'll even remember by the end of the year except how cute Mei was. Maybe this was author Yukito Ayatsuji's intent, since the whole theme of Another is about
how clinging endlessly to someone you loved who has passed, and alternatively, how easily people forget about loved ones who have passed, can result in consequences for all the people around the ones who refuse to forget, or forget too easily.

Another
"Eyepatch Moe is Best Moe"
Final Rating: 7/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom