• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Deus Ex: The Fall for iOS [Up: $7 price, Video Footage]

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Deus Ex just had a game come out, so a sequel would be premature. So an iOS game makes sense. I love the platform, personally.

But this just doesn't look very good. The controls clearly need a lot of work, which is always a thing with TPS games on iOS. Even the best controls on the platform (Nova) are still really awkward to use.

That being said, if they show off a lot more of how the game controls, I may give it a shot. I'd prefer they not water down the brand by shoving so many side projects down the road, but it's inevitable that every major game from the major companies will get some side component on mobile devices. At least this isn't that lame ME: Infiltrator or the absolutely terrible Injustice game.

This has probably been mentioned, but I feel like this is one of the cases where a Vita port would make perfect sense.

Mobile platform.

Same tech level as iOS devices.

Can still retain all touch screen functionality + Buttons!

I'm guessing sales is the reason? Still disappointing though :(

I do kinda wish they didn't try to mimic the console/pc version. Feels like one of those shitty psp/vita spinoff titles where they try to mimick the console game but can't get all the way because of, C team devs, system limitations etc.

An isometric deus ex could be different and quite cool.

WanderingWind

They can do whatever they want to with the IP. That's their prerogative - just as it's mine to disagree or dislike the idea.

That's fine, but your point of discontent is that people don't want a simplified game on a platform they don't even own. Well, if the game exists on a platform they don't even own and it's not a game they want to play, why does it matter to you? You don't own an iOS device, so why do you care if it has a certain game or not? That just doesn't make any sort of sense.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
The money available in the mobile and tablet gaming market is going to kill the gaming industry. Everyone's gonna rush to jump into making games there, and the market is gonna get completely crowded, and just crash precipitously.

This looks fine, but I really don't want to play games like this on a tablet, ever, and I imagine most others would agree.

Barakov

Looks pretty good. Still pretty disappointed though. Until they put on a system that has buttons I most likely won't give it a second thought.

The money available in the mobile and tablet gaming market is going to kill the gaming industry. Everyone's gonna rush to jump into making games there, and the market is gonna get completely crowded, and just crash precipitously.

This looks fine, but I really don't want to play games like this on a tablet, ever, and I imagine most others would agree.

I think "most others" are buying games on tablets and phones, which is why the market is expanding.

It's easy to be afraid of things you aren't used to, but all movies being available on the same platform hasn't ruined movies.

krYlon

Looks great. Seriously, iOS gaming is in a great place right now. The last month has been fantastic. Instead of complaining, shouldn't people be happy that we have a platform where gaming is thriving and has a bright future.
It is in its infacy, so control systems have a bit to go, but the potential is pretty massive.

jaosobno

4f3ec60f93c67a4db48bef6af17b452b.jpeg

fiyah

Game looks great!! Controls look like shit....should have been a simultaneous Vita/PSN/XBLA release...games like these need buttons and sticks

I remember a few years back when I thought, "Man, I really wish my cellphone could like, connect to the internet and do all sorts of crazy palm pilot type stuff. That'd be convenient." Little did I know that having that wish granted would ruin everything.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Do people really buy and play these kinds of games on phones or tablets? That seems so ridiculous to me. Why bother?

SmokyDave

This has probably been mentioned, but I feel like this is one of the cases where a Vita port would make perfect sense.

Mobile platform.

Same tech level as iOS devices.

Can still retain all touch screen functionality + Buttons!

I'm guessing sales is the reason? Still disappointing though :(
The Vita is built on smartphone hardware, has a 960x540 touchscreen (along with a full compliment of traditional inputs) and appears to be extremely friendly towards developers of all shapes and sizes. It ought to be a given that any and every 'high profile' iOS game also makes it to Vita, day & date.

Doesn't happen though. It's the largest enigma in modern day gaming, for me.

Danj

I am unhappy that this is iOS only. Expressing discontent that games aren't coming to my favoured platform is still allowed, right?

RedSwirl

I'm not mad it's a mobile game, I'm mad they basically tried to make it a shooter on mobile. This would've been a great opportunity for them to go back to Deus Ex's more RPG-like roots. Same goes for Mass Effect Infiltrator.

WanderingWind

I see your point. I suppose I don't want them wasting their development time on what could possibly be a pretty poor representation of the series. If they're able to still push out a great next-gen DX game, then fantastic, my worries were unfounded. If it means a further simplification of the series, then I'm worried.

(Of course, if it ends up being really good I'll be sad because I don't have the money/desire to buy the iPad.)

For sure. I'm worried about this being a shitty game that waters the brand down to generic territory. It's a bit early to be too concerned there, but those controls...when the guys showing off the game have issues controlling it, then that doesn't bode well for us mortals.

We'll see. Hopefully it's a great game.

d1rtn4p

Well stinky. Here's hoping a true sequel for PC is at least being planned. Loved Human Revolution; don't have an IOS device.

I'd be less annoyed at this if it didn't expand the DX universe, which I actually care about... but they're still wasting resources at Eidos Montreal.

Salsa

this is surreal

just surreal

not that an iOS game bothers me, but rather they'd (to be fair, unwillingly) trick almost anyone into getting hyped for what looked like a new iteration of Human Revolution in consoles/PC

I mean I dont know how they could have hyped it up otherwise, but the reaction of those who were excited about the next big iteration can't be good for them

iavi

I've already succumbed to the idea of it being on smartphones, looks alright, but no Android? WE'RE ALWAYS GETTING SHAFTED

Kayhan

From "oh god we are never getting another Deus Ex game after Invisible War"

to "oh god they are just milking the Deus Ex franchise"

I guess I'm lost here. I know it's a bad analogy to compare video games to music or movies or something like that, but isn't it a good thing when something you like becomes available more easily and to more people? Any CD I buy will play in any player, so isn't it cool when things move in that direction?

Top Bottom