• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announcing several games at E3

ViciousDS

Banned
so they finally decided to release the PC version of FFVII on both PS3 and PS4.....that's whats taking them so long.....and then remove the PS1 version from the market place for Vita, and PS3 users!

jDnXPBB.jpg

jimmypython

Hiroyuki Ito.

SE please let the man out of the cave....

Being both credited as the director of FF6, it is amazing how different his fate in the company is from Kitase's....His FF titles post FF6 (FF9, FF12) are way more appealing to me than Kitase's (FF8, FF10).

I'm talking solely about the marketability of a medieval fantasy RPG.

And the counter-argument to that is that is despite it being a medieval fantasy RPG, Skyrim didn't sell primarily because it was a medieval fantasy RPG. It sold because it was open-world, immersive, and on PC had extensive modding legs. It also probably initially sold because it was an Elder Scrolls game, not something any other random medieval fantasy RPG game can automatically become.

It's the same way Witcher 3 isn't exactly selling because it's a medieval fantasy setting. It's selling because it's Witcher (which just so happens to be based on a book based on a fantasy setting)

Dragon's Dogma doesn't have the rabid, loyal fanbase it does just because it's a medieval fantasy RPG.

Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning didn't sell just because it's a medieval fantasy RPG. (and witty ones might argue it didn't sell at all oh ho ho).

Heck, they're all good games in their own right but all added up to medieval fantasy RPG fatigue, just as there was WWII shooter fatigue, modern counter-terrorism shooter fatigue, and right now future war shooter fatigue.

If FFXVI is fantasy, you can bet it's going to be marketed on the shoulders of previous entries like FFXIV, FFXII, FFIX, FFIV, etc and not just because Skyrim sold well and is a medieval fantasy setting.

I think it's a little from column A and a little from column B, really. There's undoubtedly a very strong market for medieval fantasy RPGs - no doubt SE is looking at things like Skyrim, Dragon Age and the Witcher - and that's bound to factor into whatever decision SE makes. The adjustment in FF15's direction under Tabata and even some of the things about the shape and style of Lightning Returns make plain they are paying a lot of attention to Western studios - especially Bethesda and Bioware - closely. I imagine with W3's success they'll be analysing what makes that game and CD Projekt tick too. They've plainly realized Japan has had a rough time of it the past decade and are trying very hard indeed to learn, which is hugely commendable.

But beyond that, as well, it's actually been a long while since we've had this style of game from them in single-player anyway. FF15 has its realistic world with fantasy elements, FF13 has a sci-fi-meets-nature sort of thing going on with its split world. It's been a long time since FF12 and FF9. Square are also more acutely aware than ever that some people aren't happy with the realistic aspects of FF15 thanks to the streams, surveys and other feedback - Tabata himself has acknowledged this - and I'm sure the company at large will be keen to remind people that FF is broader than any one game.

Beyond that, I also think if you look at the pool of talent available around Square not on 15, you start to get a picture that those people tend to trend towards that style anyway. People like Ito (6, 9, 12 - though I'm beginning to suspect he's not involved), both Yoshidas (12, and 12/14 respectively) and such all seem to have leaned more towards that sort of style and setting. My creeping suspicion as far as FF16 goes is that they'll pair a known 'name' producer (N. Yoshida? Kitase? Ito?) with a relatively unknown director who has maybe worked on smaller titles - purely because of how successful their campaign of introducing Tabata as exciting fresh new blood has been. They'll want to repeat that, but if it's somebody without Tabata's handheld FF pedigree, they'll probably pair them with a safe pair of FF brand hands as well. There's a decent pool of talent who worked on their DS games, or their string of second-tier console games last gen like The Last Remnant, Nier, and so on, that could be drawn from there and potentially breathe a fresh new perspective into a new FF game. This'd be the first time that's happened on that scale in the series since FF7/8, where Sakaguchi began to step away, and that'd be significant.

Anyway... I'd put a fair bit of stock into the idea that whenever FF16 shows up if it isn't anything to do with Agni it'll have a FF12/14 sort of artistic look & setting. I personally would love them to make another whimsical game like 9 and take some chances on some not-uniform character design and such, but I don't think it'll happen in the main series for a long time, if ever again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hiroyuki Ito.

SE please let the man out of the cave....

Being both credited as the director of FF6, it is amazing how different his fate in the company is from Kitase's....His FF titles post FF6 (FF9, FF12) are way more appealing to me than Kitase's (FF8, FF10).

At least we have Naoki Yoshida, who seems to be doing very similar things.

Falk

that puzzling face
The adjustment in FF15's direction under Tabata and even some of the things about the shape and style of Lightning Returns make plain they are paying a lot of attention to Western studios - especially Bethesda and Bioware - closely.

Actually, FFXIII-2 tried many WRPG staples
- dialogue choices (lol)
- multiple alternate endings
- DLC cosmetics (arguably more of a Bandai Namco thing)
- additional DLC scenarios that add to the story
- nonlinear plot progression

It's almost as if there was a bucket list of things that needed a test run within the franchise and it all got put in one game.

LR and FFXV, not so much. LR isn't structured like a WRPG. It's structured like an MMO, really. The bulk of FFXV's things that might appeal to the WRPG crowd (open world, action combat) were already present in vsXIII.

Hugstable

Banned
Dragon Quest 9 HD/3D with full online support!

Dragon Quest 7 3ds Localization

Dragon QUest 8 3ds localization

Dragon Quest 11

A man can dream

Have this been posted though: Rise of the Tomb Raider is only listed as on Xbox One, the Xbox 360 is gone. Or they simply do not want to mention it?

4jBlbao.jpg

Have this been posted though: Rise of the Tomb Raider is only listed as on Xbox One, the Xbox 360 is gone. Or they simply do not want to mention it?

4jBlbao.jpg

Hmm... the initial deal was Xbox One & 360. Unless they changed it and it's Xbox One for the holidays and the 360 version is coming next year.

Reveirg

I know of two of them, they're not megatons but they'll be of interest to some people.
Hopefully they have some more surprises in store.

I'm wondering about the veracity of this old story: http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/1...xplorer-searching-for-a-way-to-save-his-love/ and if so, is it still going on, or had it met an unfortunate fate: http://kotaku.com/sources-studio-behind-deus-ex-and-thief-cancels-new-ga-1455404946
As Nirolak said, that's very much dead.

kevin1025

Banned

4jBlbao.jpg

It might be because Nixxes is working on the 360 version and so it wasn't included as in-house, or it was a simple omission. That or it's a spring title on 360 (though their website lists it as holiday 2015 in the projects section).

Wagram

The Last Remnant 2!!!!!!!
Anynone?....No?...I want it =(

Other than that I would love to see some new IP's. They already have enough sequels in the works.

I've wanted this for a long time. I really wish they hadn't pulled the stupid Xbox shift last generation because it killed this franchise at the start. Not that it's Xbox fault, the audience simply wasn't there at the time.

18-Volt

FF12HD for PS4/Vita
Chaos Rings 3, Rise of Mana for Vita
Dissida FF for PS4
Bravely Second, Star Ocean 5, Final Fantasy Explorers, Theatrhythm DQ and DQ8 3DS localizations.

Thank you SE.

HeelPower

I really hope they have a solid grip on the titles they're about to announce and that they're more than sketches on some paper in their offices.

Instro

So Hitman, an HD remake(XII?)...maybe DQ? Seems weird for an E3 announcement though. They do have that new studio as well...

I guess FF12 HD would be PS exclusive too, right ?

Probably. Don't even think sales of that would be justified by the meager sales.

All I want is localization announcements and a date for Dissidia on console(s) (unless it's just PS4 exclusive, in which case, I still want the date).

HeelPower

Actually, FFXIII-2 tried many WRPG staples
- dialogue choices (lol)
- multiple alternate endings
- DLC cosmetics (arguably more of a Bandai Namco thing)
- additional DLC scenarios that add to the story
- nonlinear plot progression

It's almost as if there was a bucket list of things that needed a test run within the franchise and it all got put in one game.

LR and FFXV, not so much. LR isn't structured like a WRPG. It's structured like an MMO, really. The bulk of FFXV's things that might appeal to the WRPG crowd (open world, action combat) were already present in vsXIII.

LR is much more western than anything in XIII-2.The non linearity in design and truly open nature is distinctly different from what you find in a typical JRPG.Not to mention that the bulk of the content is through interaction with optional NPCs and heavy character customization.The execution obviously has a japanese flavor ,but the concepts strike me as very western.

XIII-2 is kind of a Frankenstein ,but has a structure that can be very easily compared to other JRPG and isn't really close to a WRPG at all.It takes time travel elements from games like radiant historia,chrono trigger/cross,tacks on a pokemon monster collection system and the rest is pretty much XIII modifications.

NolbertoS

I'm expecting anything DQ 3DS related to be stated by Nintendo in there press conference as chances are, they'll be localizing it out West. I'd wager SE won't localize the 3DS ones and give Nintendo trailer exclusives. I expect more hitman, FF, and more mobile games coming down the pipe.

Top Bottom