• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Final Fantasy XV "greatest contributor", fastest-selling FF (6 million)

-Horizon-

But GAF told me it was an unfinished failure and that they should move on and do XVI already!!

6 million people bought an unfinished failure.

failure is a harsh term but as someone who was part of the original versus 13 hype train more than 10 years ago all the way up until 15's release, I was incredibly disappointed with what I got

mortal

Gold Member
But GAF told me it was an unfinished failure and that they should move on and do XVI already!!

Oh, come on with the strawman. Why must it always be one extreme for the other?

There are some who genuinely feel that the game has too many flaws that ultimately hold back the experience, despite having some interesting ideas. Personally, I think the character development and storytelling aspects were extremely poor and didn't gel with most of the gameplay.

The game is obviously well received if those numbers are anything to go by. Most liked it, some felt it was mediocre, some felt it was a terrible game. You can't expect everyone to have the same experience.

FFXV is the best mainline FF since FFIX as far as im concerned. Played it for more than 100 hours and Platinum'd it, flaws and all

Good for Square. Now if only they could not take another 10 years to develop XVI.

6 million people bought an unfinished failure.

failure is a harsh term but as someone who was part of the original versus 13 hype train more than 10 years ago all the way up until 15's release, I was incredibly disappointed with what I got
EDIT: Ah never mind.

Lynx_7

I wish we had some updated numbers. Is it still at 6M? I wonder if it'll ever get past that. Well, before the inevitable PC release I guess.

As for the franchise's future, I want them to take some cues from XV, but combat isn't one of them. I genuinely really liked the game, it's the first FF I've enjoyed since X, but the combat is kind of a mess. It can be a fun mess from time to time, specially at the beginning, but it doesn't make for very memorable or difficult boss encounters, and I think the team is aware of just how chaotic it is considering they let you chug down items like no tomorrow and give you every opportunity in the world to heal yourself, effectively making you immortal. It could work as a resource-management heavy game, but as it is it's just unbalanced.

If FF's future is to be action based, I'd like to see a more manual approach next time with proper rolls/dashes, some simple combo options, a better magic system, better boss encounters, etc. Let's see how VIIR fares in this regard.

Maybe because the game shipped incomplete? SE isnt even hiding it.

Zelda lived up to my expectations; FFXV did not.
Like I said, I ignore GAF collectively, It's an echo chamber at times, I didn't say FF15 criticism isnt warranted. But in many threads you would think FF15 (and Destiny) were complete garbage games.

GAF exerggerrates in both directions (good game, bad game etc...) gotta take things with a grain and salt and see for yourself

Squire

Banned
I don't get why people think that XV's success will inevitably lead to a similar FFXVI. If there is one constant throughout the series it is that every installment is different. Pretty sure XII was a commercial and critical success but XIII was not similar at all (could say the same about X and XII tbh)

Five or six years exists between each of these games. X, XII, XIII, and XV. You just can't be negligible about nearly 20 years.

Lynx_7

Wait is this what usually happens? Is it a monthly thing?

What, updated sales numbers? No, it depends on the publisher. They usually just publish them when they feel like it, or never at all. That's just me wishing we could have some new figures since I like to compare how well each title performed and whether XV can grow the franchise past XIII's numbers even with significantly lower japanese sales.

Hopefully they do something about the side quest design and and combat for XVI.

I enjoyed parts of the game but those two aspects were incredibly weak. Especially the side quest design.

Toth

Wait is this what usually happens? Is it a monthly thing?

I wager that if something is announced for the game at E3 (the expansion....?) then the press release will probably give an updated number. IIRC they didn't mention FFXIII at 7 million sales-ish until FFXIII-2's announcement.

Teletraan1

Banned
Cool but I didn't like it. It really didn't feel like I played a Final Fantasy game at all. It was a sloppy ARPG with FF trappings. I know they are going to cite these sales when looking at the next installment and how it should play but if it is not a traditional Final Fantasy I am not buying it or any other games in the series. One of my biggest game regrets was buying this at launch.

FFXV is the best mainline FF since FFIX as far as im concerned. Played it for more than 100 hours and Platinum'd it, flaws and all

Good for Square. Now if only they could not take another 10 years to develop XVI.

Yup, absolutely loved XV and really hope this gives Square the confidence to make a worthy next entry.

I wager that if something is announced for the game at E3 (the expansion....?) then the press release will probably give an updated number. IIRC they didn't mention FFXIII at 7 million sales-ish until FFXIII-2's announcement.

Close enough. SE announced FFXIII shipped/sold 6.6 million in January 2013. Little under four years since it released in Japan and a little over three years since it released everywhere else. :)

LordKasual

Banned
Speaking of XIV, I got an email from the Square Enix store saying that they're about to charge my card for the Stormblood CE order. 200 dollars plus shipping and taxes! I don't have that right now! Why so early??? Why can't they be like Amazon in that regard?

I am trying my HARDEST not to drop $200 on that fucking collectors edition

I mean, i don't even have a CD drive. I just want it. I should just get standard edition and be happy

I KNOW i won't care about that collector's edition box. It'll just sit on my counter just like that Advent Children Cloud Kai Play Arts that I bought and didn't even take out of the box

Someone talk some sense into me

royox

The power of agressive marketing.

Maybe in 2020 when the game is complete it will deserve everything.

My mind still does not know what to make of the game. I haven't touched it since i beat it about a month after release but its hard to make up my mind about a game that is essentially still in early access.

My mind still does not know what to make of the game. I haven't touched it since i beat it about a month after release but its hard to make up my mind about a game that is essentially still in early access.
This train never ends apparently!

I for one am glad that this was a success.

The train will end after SE finally releases the last major update for this game and based on the recent survey and the tech demo on PC showing off roading, it does not look like that will be until mid 2018. I would gladly pay another 40 for an expansion which flushes out the story and adds more activities and side quests that are actually relevant to the story and not just, "hey can you go take this picture for me or fix my car even though you are a Prince"

Pepboy

Lesson learned by SE: Story content doesn't matter, just create a world with generic quests and slap characters on it and you'll sell 6 million.

The real reason it sold that many was the long wait and insane hype. Not deserved, but at least the FF franchise isn't dead and there is hope for the future.

When the characters are as good as FFXV I'm fine with this business strategy. What a relaxing game, though I wasn't as fond of the combat. Personally I loved the story as well, but Kingsglaive should have been required watching.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH.

Wish they had completed the story but the game is so damn fun to play and is super gorgeous in HDR. I had already 100% it twice, now I'm doing a third run on my new TV. Just level 12 with already 40k XP banked.

Nice sales, well deserved!

I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH.

Wish they had completed the story but the game is so damn fun to play and is super gorgeous in HDR. I had already 100% it twice, now I'm doing a third run on my new TV. Just level 12 with already 40k XP banked.

Nice sales, well deserved!

i honestly and genuinely want to know why people play this game more than once. What is attracting you to play this game multiple times? I just don't get it. Can you please explain? I really want to know. For me, the story is not good at all and the side quests are among the worst in any game i have ever played. I am not a hater, I waited 10 years for this game since it was announced in May 2006 as Versus XIII and I bought the Ultimate Collector's Edition and other merchandise but after beating it, all I could think was, "huh, what did I wait 10 years for".

Edit: I really want someone to explain what it is about this game that has them coming back. I want to know because maybe there is something I am missing and maybe it will get me to play the game since I last beat it about 5 months ago.

i honestly and genuinely want to know why people play this game more than once. What is attracting you to play this game multiple times? I just don't get it. Can you please explain? I really want to know. For me, the story is not good at all and the side quests are among the worst in any game i have ever played. I am not a hater, I waited 10 years for this game since it was announced in May 2006 as Versus XIII and I bought the Ultimate Collector's Edition and other merchandise but after beating it, all I could think was, "huh, what did I wait 10 years for".

Edit: I really want someone to explain what it is about this game that has them coming back. I want to know because maybe there is something I am missing and maybe it will get me to play the game since I last beat it about 5 months ago.
I never really got this why do you feel like u need to get why someone enjoyed? I doubt there's something you're missing it's simply it clicked more for the individual person more than it did for u

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The game is very beautiful and the combat is fun, what's not to love? Yes, I wish the story was better and more developed but I just love messing around in this game with no pressure. FFXV is an incredible technical achievement, and I'm noticing so many new things in my third playthrough that I didn't before.

I can understand why people are disappointed. I was underwhelmed after beating it the first time too, but if you want to play a relaxing game you can't go wrong with this.

I never really got this why do you feel like u need to get why someone enjoyed? I doubt there's something you're missing it's simply it clicked more for the individual person more than it did for u

Maybe there was a feature that I wasn't using or maybe there were great side quests out there and I simply did not find them. Maybe, there were really cool weapons or upgrades that made the gameplay really fun that i missed. Its kind of sad but I want to justify my 10 years of waiting.

royox

I for one am glad that this was a success.

It sets a bad precedence. Now Squareenix know it doesn't matter if they release a messy and incompleted game, they will sell it with a good marketing campaign. FFXV was released in Early Acess status, a giant void world filled by gas stations and MMO-like fetch quests like "feed the kitty", "collect tomatoes" or "take pictures for Harley of Lost".

That's not what I want for FFXVI, I want it to be complete and everything explained at release, not having to wait months so they add cutscenes, content and a survey asking us "what other cut content do you want?".

Go_Ly_Dow

It sets a bad precedence. Now Squareenix know it doesn't matter if they release a messy and incompleted game, they will sell it with a good marketing campaign. FFXV was released in Early Acess status, a giant void world filled by gas stations and MMO-like fetch quests like "feed the kitty", "collect tomatoes" or "take pictures for Harley of Lost".

That's not what I want for FFXVI, I want it to be complete and everything explained at release, not having to wait months so they add cutscenes, content and a survey asking us "what other cut content do you want?".

Yup.

Compared to the glory days of FF6-9, what we got in XV is just pathetic.

Man for being AnUnbiasedGamer you sure are pretty biased with dislike towards this game. So much so that the concept of someone liking this game sounds foreign to you.
Yup.

And now I'm glad that my only glory days was playing IV since it was the only one I could afford at the time otherwise my thoughts might be different.

Glory days be darned. I get enough of that crap from Star Wars fans and that Pokemon thread currently going on in GAF.

Edit: I deleted this message because I think it is a little too harsh and doesn't add to the conversation. I am probably just a little too passionate when it comes to FFXV.

Man for being AnUnbiasedGamer you sure are pretty biased with dislike towards this game. So much so that the concept of someone liking this game sounds foreign to you.

Actually I waited 10 years for it and bought three ultimate editions (just in case the other two got canceled. Yes, I have three ultimate collectors editions sitting in my closet right now). I even bought Noctis's t shirt and glove from the official square enix store for over 200 dollars. Im pretty sure that i came into the game with as much positive energy as possible. I never said I disliked the game, I like it, I just want to know why people like it THAT much.

Maybe there was a feature that I wasn't using or maybe there were great side quests out there and I simply did not find them. Maybe, there were really cool weapons or upgrades that made the gameplay really fun that i missed. Its kind of sad but I want to justify my 10 years of waiting.
I will never understand why people feel someone owes you because you got hyped for a cg trailer 10 years ago.
Its like SE was siphoning blood for every additional year the game took to be made.

Its incredible people continue to rag on SE for how terrible their games are or how evil their practices are and tell them how they should do business or how not but choose not to do the simplest thing, which is to stop caring about them and move the hell on instead of expecting their personal vision of a perfect jrpg to be made by them.

I just want to say that I'm amazed we even got to XV. For some reason the younger me never grasped the idea of a both XIV and XV to be real.

Satisfying and unique combat system, great looking visuals, large and varied open world, phenomenal music, more polished than most open world games. That's a pretty good list of strengths.

Ray Down

Banned
Maybe the name is suppose ironic, like the skinny Italian everyone calls Fat Tony or like Cedric the Entertainer.

I will never understand why people feel someone owes you because you got hyped for a cg trailer 10 years ago.
Its like SE was siphoning blood for every additional year the game took to be made.

Its incredible people continue to rag on SE for how terrible their games are or how evil their practices are and tell them how they should do business or how not but choose not to do the simplest thing, which is to stop caring about them and move the hell on instead of expecting their personal vision of a perfect jrpg to be made by them.

I don't think they owe me anything. I learned that the hard way with this game and I have sort of tried not to go to those unrealistic levels of hype since (i barely cared about Andromeda launching and because of that, it wasn't as disappointing for me). I guess I wanted FFXV to be an experience that honestly, no video game can deliver and all those interviews with Tetsuya Nomura over the years made out the game to be very different than what the final product ended up being (trilogy vs one game, very dark themes, etc...).

Mediking

Yup.

?!?!?!?!

M_Night?!?!? Is... that... really you? Hahah oh my God. This is like running into Kagari in the gaming side... it's a rarity ;_;

Dude! It's great to see ya! Another FFXVGAF hype original!

Top Bottom