• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix RPGs on sale on North American PSN

Hubb

Never played a Front Mission game before, but I have heard good things. Might as well start with Front Mission 3.

How long do these sales generally last? My mobile purchases are not working so it may not be until Saturday before I get to my PS3.

Unless it's labeled as a flash sale (which usually only lasts a weekend or so), the sales last until the store updates again on Tuesday.

Is it port begging to say that I wish these games were ps4 compatible? Fuck

It would definitely make them far more enticing. I already own physical copies of all the Final Fantasy games and a nice old Sony CRT to play them on (the way God intended). So, I'd only be buying them for Vita. Not verty enticing at $5 a pop. Grabbed War of the Lions, Front Mission 3, and FF4 Complete though.

Weevilone

Ugh, more shame added to the pile. The worst part is that I've played many of these before and own them on systems that I'm unlikely to hook up anytime soon.

Still, I somehow regretted not picking these up for Vita when they were on sale for the 25th Anniversary Sale.

Just sitting here moving my mouse between the Vita and the PS3 FFX/X-2, I have 2 trips coming up and could play it then but I think I'd enjoy it more on my TV with surround sound.

Hmmmm

edit: Thanks everyone, went with PS3 (although Flandy is kinda right it seems surround sound is there but lots of people complaining that it's spotty and reverts to 2.1 a lot), I still haven't beaten Persona 4 so I'll probably wrap that up on my trips instead.

Now I wait for the 20GB download to finish.

hwy_61

Banned
Just sitting here moving my mouse between the Vita and the PS3 FFX/X-2, I have 2 trips coming up and could play it then but I think I'd enjoy it more on my TV with surround sound.

Hmmmm

From what I've heard, the game compliments Vita perfectly. If you're not the type of person who plays Vita at home, I'd probably jump for the PS3 version. I like playing handhelds on the couch/bed.

In for FM3. Really tempting to turn my Vita into a Final Fantasy machine...

Hmmmm

If you really really prefer playing on TV, then I'd get the PS3 version and maybe pick up one of the cheaper games to stick on your Vita.

Flandy

Hmmmm

I'm pretty sure it only supports 2.1 on PS3. Vita version is excellent so you don't have to worry about it being bad. It is subnative but it still looks really good.

new to the dissidia series, should i pick up the first one or just skip and go to the second? Not a big fan of fighters but I hear the 2nd one has some single player content and would enjoy the nostalgia.

I wonder why Square doesn't have any PS2 classics on the shop yet? In fact, why aren't more publishers putting PS2 classics on there (like Atlus)?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Exactly the problem, $5 on PSN versus buying ds cart for $30.

The pauses are annoying, but CT is way too good of a game to let it ruin the experience. I have CT on all 3 current formats (PSN, Wii and DS) and I have played through all 3. DS is probably the best way to go, but if all you have is a PS3, then get CT for $5. I got used to the pauses in CT and FFVI (VI isn't as bad because of the field to battle transition, but the pause is about the same length).

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Hey guys, just so you know, telling people over and over again not to play a version of a game because of a hang up is less likely to make them play the ideal version, and more likely to make sure they never ever play the game in any form.

KumaJG

Good thing I held off on buying FFVI last week. Everytime I buy a game off the PSN store they always go on sale. I wish Xenogears was on there.

I wonder why Square doesn't have any PS2 classics on the shop yet? In fact, why aren't more publishers putting PS2 classics on there (like Atlus)?

what Atlus games for PS2 are left that they haven't released? Outside of Growlanser II & III (which Victor Ireland has said they are refusing to let him release) I can only think of licensed games that are missing.

Flandy

new to the dissidia series, should i pick up the first one or just skip and go to the second? Not a big fan of fighters but I hear the 2nd one has some single player content and would enjoy the nostalgia.

2nd one. You unlock the first games single player after beating 012 with some adjustments like the overworld 012 introduced.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Hey guys, just so you know, telling people over and over again not to play a version of a game because of a hang up is less likely to make them play the ideal version, and more likely to make sure they never ever play the game in any form.

But it makes you look like you have unimpeachable tastes and standards if you do that (puts on fedora)

what Atlus games for PS2 are left that they haven't released? Outside of Growlanser II & III (which Victor Ireland has said they are refusing to let him release) I can only think of licensed games that are missing.

I meant to say they are an example of a company that has put PS2 classics on PSN.

Banned
$24.99 for lightning returns and $19.99 for FFX HD is tempting but it seems to expensive for a guy like me who can get it for that price at retail and trade it in after beating it since I know I'm not replaying those games.

noquarter

Looks like time to get a digital copy of one of the best PS1 games, Front Mission 3. Can't complain for $3.

Also will probably get FFIV digital. Been wanting to see it, and for $10 I won't feel too bad if I don't get very far into it.

hwy_61

Banned
But it makes you look like you have unimpeachable tastes and standards if you do that (puts on fedora)

I don't think telling people to avoid a shitty port is a bad thing. Especially for a game like Chrono Trigger. That game is a masterpiece, so why wouldn't you tell people that have never played it to avoid an awful version of it?

Nyoro SF

I don't think telling people to avoid a shitty port is a bad thing. Especially for a game like Chrono Trigger. That game is a masterpiece, so why wouldn't you tell people that have never played it to avoid an awful version of it?

Exactly. People do have to be warned about the quality of certain titles.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Updated the list now that Lightning Returns is actaullyl on sale ($24.99). Everything should be on sale now

I'll probably just pick up Front Mission 3 and Final Fantasy IX.

Really wish Xenogears and Parasite Eve were on sale. I'd gladly toss my money out for those two.

I have such fond memories of Front Mission 3. Really curious as to how well it holds up. I seem to remember my mech dual wielding sniper rifles and taking shot after shot in one turn due to some kind of perk or ability.

jkh33

Just bought X/X-2 for my Vita. Haven't play these in such a long time so it feels long overdo for another playthrough.

Shiina

Are the FFIX loading times unbearable on Vita? And I dunno if I should grab FFX HD, but I'm leaning towards no :p not sure I want to add another game to my backlog.

I don't think they're any different than on PS1. It's V and VI (and CT) that have long loading times.

so this is the cheapest ps1 square rpgs will be? might as well pick up the few im missing

IX was cheaper (if you had PS+) the last time it was on sale. SE sales happen pretty rarely, though.

tav7623

Okay guys, need some advice, I'm looking at getting one of the $5 PS1 Final Fantasy games (mainly 6-9, not really looking at Origins, III, V, or Tactics) or possibly Chrono Trigger (cause I've heard good things, but never played it, also I'm only going with one game at the moment cause it's all I can really afford), but here's the rub

1. I'm not a big fan of RPG's (especially turn based/active battle ones....though I should mention that the lone exception so far has been Parasite Eve as it had a lot of horror elements, awesome looking (at the time) cinematic cutscenes, and a good story which are things I'm a real sucker for...so much so it at the time made me overlook the ATB combat system & Aya's slow character movement) which is something I'm looking to try to change.

2. I've only really played/owned 2 Final Fantasy games in my life (FFX & X-2, both of which I never finished though in the case of X I did get within a few hrs of the final boss fight also I've lately been thinking about revisiting them....though X-2 would be first as I'd have to re buy X)....unless you count watching a friend play through parts of FF 7, trying out the FF8 demo that came with OPM issue 23 ( I still have that demo disk too along with issue 46's which had Gran Tourismo 2 and Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare) & the FF XIII X-3 Lightning Returns PSN demo that came out a few months ago (I think).

So the big question is which game would be good for someone (a turn based RPG philistine/newb) like me to pick up. At the moment I'm leaning towards either 8 or 9 as it's currently hard to find complete physical copies of either game at a price I'm comfortable with (don't really want to have spent a whole lot of money & end up absolutely hating the game/games) in my area, but I've heard great things about the other games except for maybe the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger (heard something about it altering a few things instead of being a straight port of the SNES version) which is why I don't want to exclude them as an option.

Okay guys, need some advice, I'm looking at getting one of the $5 PS1 Final Fantasy games (mainly 6-9, not really looking at Origins, III, V, or Tactics) or possibly Chrono Trigger (cause I've heard good things, but never played it, also I'm only going with one game at the moment cause it's all I can really afford), but here's the rub

1. I'm not a big fan of RPG's (especially turn based/active battle ones....though I should mention that the lone exception so far has been Parasite Eve as it had a lot of horror elements, awesome looking (at the time) cinematic cutscenes, and a good story which are things I'm a real sucker for...so much so it at the time made me overlook the ATB combat system & Aya's slow character movement) which is something I'm looking to try to change.

2. I've only really played/owned 2 Final Fantasy games in my life (FFX & X-2, both of which I never finished though in the case of X I did get within a few hrs of the final boss fight also I've lately been thinking about revisiting them....though X-2 would be first as I'd have to re buy X)....unless you count watching a friend play through parts of FF 7, trying out the FF8 demo that came with OPM issue 23 ( I still have that demo disk too along with issue 46's which had Gran Tourismo 2 and Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare) & the FF XIII X-3 Lightning Returns PSN demo that came out a few months ago (I think).

So the big question is which game would be good for someone (a turn based RPG philistine/newb) like me to pick up. At the moment I'm leaning towards either 8 or 9 as it's currently hard to find complete physical copies of either game at a price I'm comfortable with (don't really want to have spent a whole lot of money & end up absolutely hating the game/games) in my area, but I've heard great things about the other games except for maybe the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger (heard something about it altering a few things instead of being a straight port of the SNES version) which is why I don't want to exclude them as an option.
Go with Final Fantasy IX. There are much better ways to play Chrono Trigger.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
FF IV shall be mine. After buying FF VI on Android and some SMT games earlier, it seems all I{m playing until the end of the year is JRPGs. :O

Top Bottom