• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix RPGs on sale on North American PSN

Thank you, you were the only one to respond to my post so I went with your suggestion and bought IX. It's now in the process of downloading and I should be able to play it shortly.
Hope you like it, though I worry it won't be everything you need. I consider it the better game between it and VIII but that might not translate to the more enjoyable experience for you.

SheHateMe

So much on sale... but I own a lot of this already.

Is it worth it for me to pay $5 each for Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII, and IX when I still own the disc versions of them?

Is it worth it for me to play these on my Vita? Hmm.

That Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD for Vita looks tempting, too.

Decisions, decisions.

SirNinja

I have FFX HD for ps3 but FFX HD for vita is really tempting

IMO, the Vita version of FFX|X-2 HD is the best. Portability, suspend/resume, and quick-heal using the touchscreen = so damn good. Plus they look amazing on that OLED screen.

Guys are FFX/X-2 for PS3 2 separate downloads? I have only like 8GB left and both games are 23GB according to the store.

On PS3, it's one big download. X and X-2 are separate downloads on Vita, however - about 3.5 GB each.

So much on sale... but I own a lot of this already.

Is it worth it for me to pay $5 each for Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII, and IX when I still own the disc versions of them?

Is it worth it for me to play these on my Vita? Hmm.

That Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD for Vita looks tempting, too.

Decisions, decisions.

It's only worth it if you don't feel like switching between all those discs. That would mean it's only playable on the PS3. Whereas, having it purchased, you can play them on the PS3, Vita, PSP, and possibly PS4 (don't own one yet) whenever you want.

Wookieomg

GAF, I need some assistance. What's the consensus on the PS1 ports of older FF games? I grabbed FF 7, 8, and 9 already and bought X|X-2 back when it came out. Would really like my Vita to be my FF machine, but if the ports are rubbish then I'll pass. I'm contemplating the lot of them, really, but I'll list them here for ease of viewing:

Final Fantasy Origins
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI

Secondly, can someone clearly indicate the key differences between the PSOne Classic version of Final Fantasy Tactics vs. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions? I'm considering one or the other. I've read that the slowdown is prevalent in WotL and I'm not a fan of sluggish load times in my games if I can help it. :/

And finally, I've never played a game in the Dissidia series before. Where should I start? I saw Dissidia, then Dissidia 012, then Dissidia 012 Duodecim.. Left me confused. I'm assuming that each entry one-ups the previous one, but any sort of information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Are there any major (or even minor) differences between the Vita and the PS3 version of X/X-2? I want the portability of the Vita but I feel that something epic like an FF game should be played on the big screen so I'm stuck as to which one to get.

BkMogul

Bought X/X-2 remaster for both PS3 and VIta and haven't put more than a few hours into X. :(. I guess I was blinded by my love for those two games that I didn't realize how little time I'd have to play them.

But please, for the love of Jebus, buy Front Mission 3. Game's got 100+ hours worth of quality packed in!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The Chrono Trigger PSone load times are ridiculously exaggerated.

I finished the game with no problems on my Vita on fast disc mode.

Helpless noob question time!

I haven't played any of these games and have played virtually no RPGs, Japanese or western. With the games on sale, where do I start? Will I be confused, story wise if I were to just jump into say FF IX??? I know that's a lot I'm asking, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't played any of these games and have played virtually no RPGs, Japanese or western. With the games on sale, where do I start? Will I be confused, story wise if I were to just jump into say FF IX??? I know that's a lot I'm asking, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Every Final Fantasy has an individual story with it's own characters(well except for direct sequels like X-2 or XIII-2) so you don't have to worry about being lost.

My favorite FF is still VII, so I'd suggest starting there. But you can start anywhere you want.

Every mainline FF is self contained story. You would only be confused if you got a direct sequel. Try any of them, they are all good.

Edit: beat

Damn, this whole time I thought the FF games were part of this one, giant, continuing story. This makes it easier to start playing then. Thanks guys.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Went in this thread looking for Legend of the Dragoon. Rememberd it was a Sony 1st party ;(

It's also worse than any game in this sale...

Also when does this sale end? I might have to partake after stopping into Target for some on sale PSN cash.

B.K.

Damn, this whole time I thought the FF games were part of this one, giant, continuing story. This makes it easier to start playing then. Thanks guys.

Only the sequels (Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, X-2, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns) are part of a continuing story. All the mainline games are stand alone.

It's also worse than any game in this sale...

It's not worse than XIII-2 or Lightning Returns.

SheHateMe

It's only worth it if you don't feel like switching between all those discs. That would mean it's only playable on the PS3. Whereas, having it purchased, you can play them on the PS3, Vita, PSP, and possibly PS4 (don't own one yet) whenever you want.

Honestly, that doesn't bother me in the least bit. Disc switching isn't a big deal.

Portability, however? That's the thought running across my mind.

OG Loc

...Secondly, can someone clearly indicate the key differences between the PSOne Classic version of Final Fantasy Tactics vs. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions? I'm considering one or the other. I've read that the slowdown is prevalent in WotL and I'm not a fan of sluggish load times in my games if I can help it. :/...
Thanks!

War of The Lions has a better translation, new cel-shaded cutscenes, improved graphics, two (?) new classes, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. The slowdown issue only occurs when casting a spell/summon. It doesn't bother me that much, if at all, but your mileage may vary.

Overall, I find WoTL to be the superior version by far.

GAF, I need some assistance. What's the consensus on the PS1 ports of older FF games? I grabbed FF 7, 8, and 9 already and bought X|X-2 back when it came out. Would really like my Vita to be my FF machine, but if the ports are rubbish then I'll pass. I'm contemplating the lot of them, really, but I'll list them here for ease of viewing:

Final Fantasy Origins - Prefer the PSP remasters over the old school style. Don't know of any bugs.
Final Fantasy III - PSP port is great.
Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection - PSP version is great. Looks amazing. Worth it!
Final Fantasy V - I've played on the iOS and recommend it (but not at $16). However, I know ppl prefer the GBA version over the PS1 as the PS1 is a poor port of the GBA. There are bugs in the game (in my experience only with saving bc I didn't play far. Screens gets all weird and green and I don't know where I'm navigating when trying to save)
Final Fantasy VI - never played. Same as FFV? I suspect the same issues as FFV PS1. I honestly want to play the iOS version (again, not for $16).

Secondly, can someone clearly indicate the key differences between the PSOne Classic version of Final Fantasy Tactics vs. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions? I'm considering one or the other. I've read that the slowdown is prevalent in WotL and I'm not a fan of sluggish load times in my games if I can help it. :/

And finally, I've never played a game in the Dissidia series before. Where should I start? I saw Dissidia, then Dissidia 012, then Dissidia 012 Duodecim.. Left me confused. I'm assuming that each entry one-ups the previous one, but any sort of information would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I've given my input on the FF's next to the games in the quote.
Now,
Dissida is the first game to the Dissidia series.
Dissidia 012 = Dissidia 012 Duodecim - prequel to the Dissidia game. Playing in order of release is fine. That's my recommendation.

I hope you didn't pull FF IX out of a hat bc it's a great game to start off with. As others have mentioned that each is its own story. Do note that each is unique from each other in various ways. ie: Theme, art style, etc

EDIT:
Honestly, that doesn't bother me in the least bit. Disc switching isn't a big deal.

Portability, however? That's the thought running across my mind.
If you carry your PSP/Vita around with you pretty often then I say it's worth it. I have FFV on my phone and play it any chance I get. Definitely worth the $5!

Ponn

Banned
The only two games I don't have on that list are FFX/X2 HD for PS3 and Lightning Returns. I' have the FFX remasters on Vita so I can wait for the PS3 version to go PS Plus or something.

Lightning Returns, i'm going to hold out for $5. I think my chances are good.

Lexxism

Holy crap! 19.99 for FFX/X-2 HD for PSV and 4.99 for P3P. Damn, what a night. I'm probably thinking of picking up FF7-9.

khaaan

My collection will finally be complete!!! Until of course, FFXII HD comes out.
qjYfenQ.jpg

BZi1iWH.jpg

Will probably pick up Front Mission 3, Chrono Trigger and mmmmaaaybe Dissidia 012 ontop of FFX/X2.

Wookieomg

War of The Lions has a better translation, new cel-shaded cutscenes, improved graphics, two (?) new classes, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. The slowdown issue only occurs when casting a spell/summon. It doesn't bother me that much, if at all, but your mileage may vary.

Overall, I find WoTL to be the superior version by far.

Well that sounds great. War of the Lions it is!

I've given my input on the FF's next to the games in the quote.
Now,
Dissida is the first game to the Dissidia series.
Dissidia 012 = Dissidia 012 Duodecim - prequel to the Dissidia game. Playing in order of release is fine. That's my recommendation.

Hmm, Origins, III, and IV Complete Collection seem like the best bets out of those you listed. Will need more information/impressions of V and VI before I take the plunge for those. Thanks! I may grab the first Dissidia and start from there.

lt519

How long does this sale run for? I've been looking for a good JRPG. I've played them all but 8, 9, and any original psp games, what should I go with?

Lothar

Banned
Good thing I held off on buying FFVI last week. Everytime I buy a game off the PSN store they always go on sale. I wish Xenogears was on there.

I'll probably just pick up Front Mission 3 and Final Fantasy IX.

Really wish Xenogears and Parasite Eve were on sale. I'd gladly toss my money out for those two.

No Xenogears, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve, 3rd Birthday, or Tactics Ogre? Come on SE, those are the ones I want and you give me the ones I don't.

Xenogears is already $9.99, come on. How much lower does it have to be?

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...ita)/cid=UP9000-NPUJ00664_00-0000000000000001

Ponn

Banned
My collection will finally be complete!!! Until of course, FFXII HD comes out.

Will probably pick up Front Mission 3, Chrono Trigger and mmmmaaaybe Dissidia 012 ontop of FFX/X2.

where did you get those awesome vita wallpapers?

Baliis

Thanks! I may grab the first Dissidia and start from there.

You may want to double check, but I was under the impression that 012 includes a retelling of the original game as well after you beat the 012 story, so it might be worth it just to buy the one.

khaaan

Awesome collection, and awesome backgrounds!

where did you get those awesome vita wallpapers?

Thanks, I got the backgrounds through a whackload of googling. I've uploaded the handful that I grabbed here: http://imgur.com/LacQ2Sg,QzFl4ZV,n82oItZ,nHb9adS

You'll notice they all have this texture to them, I just overlay something on all the images so they all have a consistent "feel" to them. You can find the source images here: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Fables:_Chocobo_Tales_Wallpapers there are a few others in there that could work great, you just have to resize them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
30 hours huh? You secretly love it.

Shit no, he had a car and a big ass tv though and we played dozens of other much better games together. I fell asleep on his comfy ass couch a whole bunch during that time and even caught up on my studies a bit. When it was my turn to play (I was the RPG expert of the two of us) I had to grin and bear it.

pachuco

If you own a Vita or a PSP this is the best $5 you could spend!

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (PSP) $4.99

You may want to double check, but I was under the impression that 012 includes a retelling of the original game as well after you beat the 012 story, so it might be worth it just to buy the one.

Doesn't the second Dissidia have the storyline of the first included in it? There's pretty much no point in getting the first game.

Edit: Dammit Baliis! Beaten.

I actually recommend this lol. After reading up a bit, Dissidia 012 Duodecim is the prequel and a remake of the first game. I didn't get far in Duodecim so I had no idea xp

Ponn

Banned
Thanks, I got the backgrounds through a whackload of googling. I've uploaded the handful that I grabbed here: http://imgur.com/LacQ2Sg,QzFl4ZV,n82oItZ,nHb9adS

You'll notice they all have this texture to them, I just overlay something on all the images so they all have a consistent "feel" to them. You can find the source images here: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Fables:_Chocobo_Tales_Wallpapers there are a few others in there that could work great, you just have to resize them.

awesome, thanks for the links

Well that sounds great. War of the Lions it is!

Hmm, Origins, III, and IV Complete Collection seem like the best bets out of those you listed. Will need more information/impressions of V and VI before I take the plunge for those. Thanks! I may grab the first Dissidia and start from there.
Terrible advice u got.
Dissidia 012 also includes the first dissidia.

So I can't add funds to my wallet through the account back end or buy from the webstore. I've gone over my cc info and everything is right. What is the problem?!

Arrggh

Top Bottom