• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix RPGs on sale on North American PSN

Anyone have any personal experience re: load time for Chrono Trigger and FF V and VI on Vita? I saw a video on YT that showed CT loading ~40% faster on Vita, but personal experience would be welcomed :)

Cool, managed to pick up Final Fantasy Tactics:WotL, FFVII and DuoDecim Dissidia.

Also, are the Persona games on sale right now too? Was wondering if I should bite on P2 or not since it's $5.

BluWacky

Damn you region locking!!!! I don't need to buy the PS1 games for my PS3 as I own the original discs and so can play them on epsxe, but I wanted to consign my CFW PSP to the dustbin as I use it almost exclusively for playing old Square games on the go. But nooooooooo, if I want to buy these for my Vita I have to wipe settings, buy a new memory card etc. etc. and it's just not worth the hassle.

Damn damn damn!

Nice deals! I already own most of these digitally and physically but I hope others enjoy them as much as I have.

Well not all of them, haha

Got Tactics Ogre and Vagrant Story in Golden Week sale, still haven't gotten anywhere in either, so I ruled out FFTactics PSP because it sounds very similar. Ruled out any of the "classic" FF up-ports or Chrono Trigger since apparently they've got issues. FFVIII was a maybe, but eh, no. This is after seeing a fairly large amount of people rant on the game (internet people mind you, Spoony Experiment and Jontron some).

So I was left with FFVII, FFIX, and Dissidia 012. But after going over a pretty good range of reviews, it sounded like it basically was best only if you have played enough FF games to get into it, and the story is nonsense basically since it is basically just an excuse for the game itself. Not sure I liked the sound of that so I took that off too.

So now all I'm left with is FFVII, FFIX, and Xenogears which I added after hearing a lot about it and deciding, "what the heck", even if it isn't on sale. Not only is it supposed to be pretty good, but it intrigues me that it was apparently one of the original FFVII concepts, much like DMC (which I liked a lot after playing it last winter) was to RE4 (which I'm enjoying in my second full playthrough on PC after the Wii version).

At this point FFVII is impossible to not know tons about if you are a gamer, so I know a lot of what I'd be getting into with that one. The only issue with this one is that my brother already owns this on Steam and I can use it through family sharing, so it seems like it might be redundant.

I've heard some high praise of FFIX recently, and that got me interested in checking it out, but I've also heard that it is mega slow when it comes to battles, is that true? Given that I generally like faster combat (I like Tales of... series, so getting turn based RPGs already feels slow), I'm a little bit worried, but apparently it's really good, with a recent thread with a lot of people agreeing with the OP saying that its the best FF ever.

Speaking of, totally forgot to mention that I was also checking out FFIV. Apparently that's really good, but I thought it may have been redundant with the other two FF games. Tell me if I'm wrong and should snap on it, since I don't really know either way, it just seems a little expensive compared to the others here and I'm not sure of the worth.

Lots of writing, but I'm still undecided on pulling the trigger on these things. Help me out people, am I wrong of Dissidia, FFIV, or even VIII? I've already decided out-rightly that I won't get FFTactics PSP since I feel like I really have no reason to get it when I have the apparently very similar Tactics Ogre nearly untouched, but I'd like to here people's opinions contrasting those two.

Please help a Vita owner in need of some new games figure out which JRPGs to spend his somewhat sparse money on. The only FF I've played is a tiny bit of FF14 after checking it out in a particularly dry season for my PS4. JRPGs I've played and liked that come to mind would be Tales of... generally, Xenoblade, and Paper Mario if you'd count him. Odd, maybe it's because I'm kind of tired right now, but I could have sworn more would come to mind, whatever.

To reiterate before I end this giant post, if you can provide opinions on these games:

FFIV (heard it was good but unsure if it deserves to be twice as expensive as most)
FFVII (already have access to a Steam version my brother owns)
FFVIII (heard mixed things)
FFIX (most likely to get for a number of reasons)
FFTactics PSP (probably skipping on since it seems redundant with Tactics Ogre)
Dissidia (want action, kind of like "Tales of...", don't want a story that's just an excuse for the crossover)
Xenogears (even though I wasn't a mega fan of Xenoblade, I'm interested in its spiritual predecessors, Xenosaga's gonna be a lot harder to find/play, still wish it was cheaper than 10 bucks)

Please reply with a response with your stance.

Also could someone explain what the appeal is for Front Mission 3? From what (admittedly) little I have seen of it, it just seems to not be very engaging. Maybe it's the artstyle?

Thoraxes

This is my requisite post, as I make in all PSN FF sale threads, aiming to prevent anyone from making a terrible mistake like buying the SNES -> PS1 ports.

They're fucking awful. Three to five second load time just to open or close the menu. Twelve second load time to get out of a battle. Load times everywhere. Plus weird graphical glitches and issues, and super fucked-up incorrect music. It is indeed in actuality better to never play these games than to play them in this bastardized, gutted format.

EDIT: Let me clarify: the only titles I'm talking about here are FFV, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger. Origins is a nice adaptation of FFI+II without all the weird balance tweaks the later ports add (which improve FF2 but ruin FF1, IMO.) The IV complete collection is almost assuredly now the best way to play the "original" version of the game.

War of the Lions replaces the ultra-crappy localization in the PSX version with a sweet, brand-new localization by Alexander O. Smith (of Vagrant Story/FFXII fame), reverts the balance changes in the US version of the PSX release, has brand new pen-and-ink-style animated cutscenes for important story beats, and has a little extra content, but the music is a little screwed up and it has annoying stuttering and slowdown when you cast most spells.

You should just edit this into the OP. Very handy.

Tizoc

Damn you region locking!!!! I don't need to buy the PS1 games for my PS3 as I own the original discs and so can play them on epsxe, but I wanted to consign my CFW PSP to the dustbin as I use it almost exclusively for playing old Square games on the go. But nooooooooo, if I want to buy these for my Vita I have to wipe settings, buy a new memory card etc. etc. and it's just not worth the hassle.

Damn damn damn!

I'm hoping that maybe someday, Sony will allow multiple stores to be accessed on the Vita. Then it will be the great classics gaming machine.
Also have you seen them PSP Classics on JPN PSN?!

Hycran

Banned
You should just edit this into the OP. Very handy.

The load times comment is an exaggeration. I recently played all the games in question and found the loading tolerable. FF9 is still the worst leading game of all time for ps1 and it is way worse than all the games listed.

So sad to see so many people buying the worst version of Chorno Trigger. Tose couldn't even get the music right. As in songs are missing notes. It was probably why the composer not being credited was not a mistake but an intentional choice.
Hmm, Chrono Trigger and Front Mission 3 for me. FFVI loading times kill it for me on PS1. Might bite on FF origins again.
I don't understand how one who hates the FFVI loading times can be happy to get Chrono Trigger.

The load times comment is an exaggeration. I recently played all the games in question and found the loading tolerable. FF9 is still the worst leading game of all time for ps1 and it is way worse than all the games listed.
In every EU sale there are people who go "oh FFVII isn't bad in 50Hz, its not an action game, you can hide the borders; so what the 30 hours I took would have only been 25 hours in 60Hz". No it still sucks regardless of if you can put up with it. To me (and I expect many others) nothing but the SNES version is tolerable for loading times in FFVI and Chrono Trigger and the PS1 ones fall so far from the mark it is shameful.

As for FFIX. Good point. Until a re-release happens this is the best we have (for those unaware it is typically 15 seconds before you get to do anything...in each battle)

Thoraxes

Compared to the GBA and SNES version, the PSX version of FFVI does feel like a major drag though. I don't think they're horrible loading times, but they're longer than they are on any other platform.

FFIX does have them bad too, though the menus aren't anywhere near as slow as VI's.

bengraven

Chrono Trigger fans is Chrono Cross worth it or should I just play Trigger?

Coming from the other side, I feel like Cross is it's own game. It's one of my favorite RPGs of all time. There's a couple moments that reference CT, including a major dungeon, but I don't feel like it "ruins" CT, since it's hardly legible what the fuck the outcome was and whether this is just another alternate world or not. So to me, I just take it as a reference to CT, not as part of the canon.

On it's own, it's a beautiful looking, beautiful sounding game with a great story and a fun battle system.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I already have FFIX & Front Mission 3 (two of the best games on the list) so.... it may be time.

FFX HD VitaBro... engage.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Playing Chrono Trigger now and the load times aren't that bad at all. Battles and menu loading are about 5 seconds which you adjust to.

Final Fantasy V (PSone) $4.99
Final Fantasy VI (PSone) $4.99
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (PSP) $4.99

Not bad, may dip into FF7 for 20 dollars total. I have been meaning to pick up War, but no Android version exists. PSP using Vita works for me.

GAF, convince me why I should buy FFX/X-2.
Hint
I never played FF games before
FFX has the easiest learning curve of all the FF games.
I have nothing else ... fun combat system!

Tizoc

I'll ask my brother if he wants FF7 and 8 on the PS Vita, since those are the only 2 I don't feel like having...despite having FF1 and 5, and wanting to get Ys 1+2 on my Vita as a matter of principal...

Aru

Oh now, I know that isn't true. At least for me it won't be.

EDIT: No XIV :(

I paid the best pre-order price at Zavvi, so even if it's not the RRP, it was still a "full price" buy, for me :p
I didn't regret it. Lightning Defence Force is here!
I sold the game after finishing it but that's what I do for all my games now. It was not because I hated it.

Lothar

Banned
Hint

A ton of people consider it the greatest game of all time. http://www.edge-online.com/features/japan-votes-all-time-top-100/

I wouldn't go that far. I'd put it in top 5. Everything is excellent about it. Visuals, music, story, characters, gameplay. It's the only FF I think of without any major flaws. FF4 is too short and the last boss comes from nowhere, FF5 has weak story, FF6 has the world of ruin which I think is a bit of a letdown from the first half and it's also too easy, FF7 peaks in the first couple of hours and the rest of the game never comes close to that quality again - there's also very little in the way of cast interaction after Midgar to make you care for the cast, both FF8 and FF13 have shit story and shit characters, FF9 has a great story and good characters but painfully slow battles making the game a chore. Everything in X is perfect.

Hint
I consider it one of the best FFs. The only downside is that you're going to spoil yourself playing such a good game that the others might be hard to get into. It's the first one I actually played, and it's kind of what launched me into my modern JRPG craze.
Anyways, I just bought VI, VII and VIII. I've now got I-X on my Vita along with Dissidia and Tactics. Final Fantasy Machine™ confirmed. Now if only Square would give me my damn XII remaster.
Which Tactics should I go for?
I can't really comment since I never played the original, but the PSP version is fantastic. Bought it on the PSP, double-dipped for the PSN version for my Vita later.

so I should still get the PSOne FF Origins? was always waiting for the PSP versions...
Waiting as in waiting for US PSN to get the PSP versions? I can't understand square-enix when it comes to digital.

If you want to play FF1 get Origins*. For FF2 I gather either is fine but PSP is slightly preferred.

*-GBA then PSP watered down the difficulty by quite a lot.

BkMogul

Was FFV free at one point? I seem to have it in my download list and unless I was on a bender one night, I don't remember actually paying money for it.

PSP Tactics continues to be one of the worst tragedies in gaming. Such a sadness that people continue to buy this. If the spell slowdown and out of sync sound effects aren't enough to send people running, maybe it's our own fault. Maybe SE knew.

Should I get the PS1 version of FFV, or wait until it eventually appears on Wii U VC for the GBA? Which version is better?

Also, I would buy FFX/X-2 HD, but I don't have the disk space for it. Shame. =/

PSP Tactics continues to be one of the worst tragedies in gaming. Such a sadness that people continue to buy this. If the spell slowdown and out of sync sound effects aren't enough to send people running, maybe it's our own fault. Maybe SE knew.
It's far from ideal but still better than the original.

Top Bottom