• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trying to port full version of FF15 to Switch, maybe via UE4

People thinking UE4 is going to magically make the game run better than the current version on Luminous, let alone run the game better on Switch... UE4 has its own performance problems on Xbox/PS4.

A UE4 open world game (ARK)
No offense but if you're seriously going to use ARK as an example for this I'm not inclined to consider anything you're saying.

Props to Square. I'm already expecting DQ, DQ Builders 2 and Octopath and I have my eye on Lost Sphear too. They are definitely putting good content on the platform so far. I'm a bit skeptical about them remaking FXV on a different engine just to get it on Switch, but at this point I would be surprised if they don't work on Switch versions for all their big releases going forward.

From the sound of it, the option of the mobile version being what the Switch gets is in the same position as the last time he brought it up. They still haven't considered it and would have to gauge the market to see if there's a desire for that version to be on the Switch.

(There was no desire)

I'm not saying I want it, I'm just saying they are doing a lot of talking about something that is supposedly going to happen. When is this port going to release? 3 years from now?

benzy

No offense but if you're seriously going to use ARK as an example for this I'm not inclined to consider anything you're saying.

Yeah, so comparing two games that aren't similar at all would be more valid... KH2.8 also exhibits the frame pacing issues XV has on regular PS4.

Yeah, so comparing two games that aren't similar at all would be more valid... KH2.8 also exhibits the frame pacing issues XV has on regular PS4.
ARK runs poorly on ANY platform it's on because it's still technically an early access game available at retail. That's why I'm inclined not to see it as a legitimate comparison.

benzy

ARK runs poorly on ANY platform it's on because it's still technically an early access game available at retail. That's why I'm inclined not to see it as a legitimate comparison.

The final version just released a month ago. The performance issues were barely improved from a year ago.

When was that? At best I saw people get over-excited at a tech demo.

I think there's a big difference between a tech demo to show off the PS3 and a full game(s) that's been announced.

The tech demo they showed inspired false hope. Which for reference SE is dumb for showing a tech demo for fucking FF7 then being like "oh, its not happening though lol"

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
We still don't really know what Tales of is. To me, it's no better than them having their logo up on a conference presentation slide. I do think they're being slow on the uptake, and obvious ports are weirdly missing, but it's early days. Switch is going to be around for years. There's plenty of time for Capcom, for many third parties to ramp up support. I guess I'm just not really concerned, yet!

The problem is also in the messaging.

Bamco: We have exciting projects on the pipeline! Including some of our best franchises! Also, be sure to buy our current gen DBZ and Pirate games releasing this year and our exclusive fighter remaster for the system!
After the Switch didn't flop and they announced their next big games:
Bamco:Yes, we will also look into bringing that hot new fighting game and the next big anime game to the system, but we can't promise anything yet!

vs

Capcom: Well, we have this XBLA port for $40. Oh, those easy to port ROM collections? They are for everything but this system and that's the end of it. We will evaluate future support based on the sales of our only, overpriced announced game.

After the Switch didn't flop and they announced their next big games:

Capcom: First, that 3DS port of our biggest franchise that we clearly started after the system didn't flop isn't leaving Japan. Stop asking. But that $40 XBLA sold against our expectations! We are now really looking into developing something for the system. BTW, our latest, new super hot project is releasing for every other system and no, we have no plans for a switch version.
  • Proceeds to stealth announce late ports of last gen games to switch via twitter with virtually no info.
  • Proceeds to announce port of remaster of beloved Zelda clone, with new grand trailer and new features like 4K support, for everything but the system that sold the best a super late port of Ocean Horn for $15.
Is very obvious why Capcom is seen as offering worse support.

The End

Yeah, I don't see SE releasing "episode 1" on PS4 and then the rest on PS5.

Won't matter.

All PS4 titles will be compatible with PS5 out of the box, so in the same way PS4 games can detect when they're running on a PS4 Pro and enable 4k/supersampling/enhanced effects/whatever, they'll be a "PS5" mode that's a further bump in quality.

Tabata and BD2 have been pretty good at solving problems, for example

People were complaining that mainline Final Fantasy games have always been turn based, so XV should be turn based. Obviously they arent going to scrap their battle system but they came up with wait mode to try and appease that portion of the fanbase.

People also wanted an air ship, so Tabata said he would work with fellow Square Enix developers like Avalanche to try and figure something out, this turned into nothing but they eventually came up with the flying regalia.

I think at this point Tabata, BD2, and Square Enix have recognized that their is a demand for this game on Switch, and are now going through the brain storming phase to figure out how to get this to work. But i think you guys should keep in mind that just because the team is trying to do something (like using streaming tech from Avalanche) doesnt mean its going to happen.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Why? They've supported every Nintendo system barring the N64, Wii U and Gamecube.

Basically if Nintendo makes a shit flop console, SE ain't wasting their time and money.
Wii sold 100m and SE wasn't even willing to port their PS2 RPGs to the system let alone anything new worthwhile outside of Chocobo Mystery Dungeon.... lol.

I get that DS/PSP were ruling the market and that where many of the ressources went in addition to HD console... But the Wii was extremely successful and SE more or less ignored it.

Wii sold 100m and SE wasn't even willing to port their PS2 RPGs to the system let alone anything new worthwhile outside of Chocobo Mystery Dungeon.... lol.

I get that DS/PSP were ruling the market and that where many of the ressources went in addition to HD console... But the Wii was extremely successful and SE more or less ignored it.

SE is really slow with ports for some reason, they should have an entire business division dedicated to porting their classics to new consoles that they deem viable.

cw_sasuke

SE is really slow with ports for some reason, they should have an entire business division dedicated to porting their classics to new consoles that they deem viable.
Yup... Even a console as successful as the PS4 has to wait to get some no brainer ports like FF8 and FF9 lol. It's weird...

Gamecube got FFCC and Wii U got DQX.
That's nothing. EA had more games out on WiiU during its launch month.

brinstar

I dunno if it's fair to say they ignored it. They supported WiiWare with exclusive software and VC. They also released like 3 Crystal Chronicles games on it, a DQ collection and launched a DQ MMO on it. Obviously they could've done way more but I wouldn't be surprised if the RPG-playing audience was mainly on DS/PSP during those years.

Should be easy to compare.
S-E:
- Dragon Quest X (upgrade promotions from Wii and WiiU versions)
- Dragon Quest XI (nobody knows yet if it's a port or another version)
- Dragon Quest Builders 1 (old port) and 2
- Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 (port at launch)
- Fear Effect Reinvented
- I am Setsuna (port at launch window)
- Lost Sphear
- Spelunker (new version removing the F2P limits)
- Re: Legend
- Seiken Densetsu Collection
- Project Octopath Traveller (exclusive JRPG by the Bravely team)

Capcom:
- USF2 (enhanced port of an XBLA game at a way higher price)
- RER 1&2 (port announced after the Switch started to be successful)
- Monster Hunter XX Switch (basic HD port and japan exclusive despite having most of the localization done)
- nothing else announced yet.

But sure, we could also compare with Ubisoft, Koei Tecmo, NIS, 2K, and other publishers. Should be easy too...

The difference is, Capcom has some very OBVIOUS titles that people expect they would also put on Switch, namely Disney Afternoon Collection, Mega Man Legacy Collection, and Okami HD. Capcom was also a big supporter of the 3DS. It's not surprising that people thought that support would continue.

???

World is the next mainline Monster Hunter and the Switch isn't getting it. XX came out, but it's not going to come west.

It's fair to say Capcom is not supporting the Switch very much. They are throwing it Rev 1 and 2, but they are not doing a switch version of all of their other upcoming/extremely recent games, including:

• Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • Okami HD
  • Resident Evil VII
  • Monster Hunter World

The first three especially seem like they'd be easy to port. And if FF15 can happen, then with some effort Capcom could make the last two work for the system as well.

But they're not going to.

Do you know the definition of hypothetical?

gogogow

That's nothing. EA had more games out on WiiU during its launch month.

You mean the super late ports for full price, like ME3, while PS3 and 360 got the trilogy for the same price.

FFCC was an exclusively made game for the Gamecube and looked amazing. DQX did way more for the Wii U than all the super late EA ports combined.

cw_sasuke

I dunno if it's fair to say they ignored it. They supported WiiWare with exclusive software and VC. They also released like 3 Crystal Chronicles games on it, a DQ collection and launched a DQ MMO on it. Obviously they could've done way more but I wouldn't be surprised if the RPG-playing audience was mainly on DS/PSP during those years.
Now compare that to what NES, SNES, PSone, GBA, PS2 or any other system that sold on that level recieved for support. Wii got nothing in comparison... They couldn't even bother with releasing PSP titles like Kingdom Hearts BbS or or Type O on it. The fact that you have to list Wii Ware titles and DQ Rom dumps says it all.

You mean the super late ports for full price, like ME3, while PS3 and 360 got the trilogy for the same price.
Yes.

Edit:
DQX did nothing for the WiiU.

Mulgrok

This is the only way I could see it happening.

It seems like an incredible amount of work for a (relatively) low amount of return unless the intention is to release it on every future platform known to man.

They are porting it to PC, probably using UE4. That will make it a lot easier to port that version to switch.

Heh. Good luck, Tabata.

Kinda funny how really good sales can influence people...

Publishers want to sell more copies of a game on more devices. Shock horror!

The difference is, Capcom has some very OBVIOUS titles that people expect they would also put on Switch, namely Disney Afternoon Collection, Mega Man Legacy Collection, and Okami HD. Capcom was also a big supporter of the 3DS. It's not surprising that people thought that support would continue.

Capcom support will come. Just because they haven't announced anything new yet doesn't mean nothing is in development. 2017 is crammed already on Switch anyway.

Considering they were instrumental in convincing Nintendo to up the memory of the Switch I very much doubt they have no plans to support it with significant software especially after as you said their strong 3DS support which takes far, far more effort considering the extreme hardware and middleware limitations.

Megatron

Oh damn. I would day one the hell out of that!

Why bother? Literally almost everyone who owns a Switch has played BOTW and that game embarrasses FFXV.

BotW is the best game I have ever played. So because another game isn't as good, I shouldn't play it? Might as well just give up gaming I guess...

tsundoku

It runs fine on Xbox One, which doesn't have the frame-pacing issues of the PS4 version.

People thinking UE4 is going to magically make the game run better than the current version on Luminous, let alone run the game better on Switch... UE4 has its own performance problems on Xbox/PS4.

A UE4 open world game (ARK) with similarly dynamic lighting and weather on PS4 runs at 640p on base mode, max res of 720p on detailed mode, constant tearing, fps dips to 20s, noticeable object pop-in. The normal mode on PS4Pro even runs at a locked 720p.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-ark-survival-evolved-performance-analysis

This just seems like Tabata throwing out a bunch of various options that they have. Would be interesting to see them downscale the game on UE4 for switch but considering their focus is soon to be on the next-gen console cycle, I expect this to go the same route as Tabata's talk about XV using Just Cause streaming tech.

UE4 has no performance problems on Xbone or ps4
Only developer issues.

theofficefan99

Oh damn. I would day one the hell out of that!

BotW is the best game I have ever played. So because another game isn't as good, I shouldn't play it? Might as well just give up gaming I guess...

Fair enough. But I've seen a lot of people who've played a lot of open world games frequently saying XV is either one of the worst or the worst open world game they've played.

Yeah you said KH3 and FFVII wouldn't be toned down because Unreal 4 :p

I meant the PS4 versions of those games wouldn't be toned down if they also prepared a Switch version which would be greatly toned down.

Basically the poster I responded to was worrying that adding a lower spec target like the Switch will lower the quality of the high spec targets for that game.

vareon

Fair enough. But I've seen a lot of people who've played a lot of open world games frequently saying XV is either one of the worst or the worst open world game they've played.

I've seen a lot of people who've played a lot of open world games frequently saying XV is really good, too! How is this possible!?

The good thing about all the third party support being announced now for the Switch is it also lets Nintendo knows that making it a little easier for third parties to support your console will mean more support from them. They won't be pushing the bleeding edge but it will at least encourage them to try to stay within 2-4 times parity and support for popular engines.

I just hope given they're still in development SE plans in advance for possible FF7R/KH3 ports so there's no need to go back and do any major overhauling afterwards.

Assuming SE endeavours to bring at least one of those to the Switch. Which they very well might not.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I hate GAF hyperbole sometimes.

Get out of here with that bullshit. FFXV didnt ran at 60FPS but it also objectively did not ran "extremely poorly" on PS4.

maybe i'm remembering it worse than it was

i remember the combat feeling super janky

Aters

SE put their egg in DQX, which came out in 2012 lol

HeroR

These honestly makes no sense. Even if the Switch wasn't a big success, Capcom literally lose nothing porting these games and they will sell well for fans hungry for quality games since the Switch's library is small, looking at Street Fighter II on the Switch. It's leaving money on the table.

These honestly makes no sense. Even if the Switch wasn't a big success, Capcom literally lose nothing porting these games and they will sell well for fans hungry for quality games since the Switch's library is small, looking at Street Fighter II on the Switch. It's leaving money on the table.

Exactly. That's why people criticize Capcom when it comes to Switch support.

Top Bottom