• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's new plan: Eidos focus = online games; Japan accelerating work on phones

ymmv

Banned
What a lousy development ... I don't care for online titles, I don't care for F2P. I suppose FFXV will be the last real single player FF. What's left after that? What's going to happen to the new Kingdom Hearts and Tomb Raider?

Nilaul

What a lousy development ... I don't care for online titles, I don't care for F2P. I suppose FFXV will be the last real single player FF. What's left after that? What's going to happen to the new Kingdom Hearts and Tomb Raider?

Tomb raider is dead anyway, they turned it into Rambo.

Riposte

Well yes it says "focus", obviously things like FFXV exist and Eidos makes things like Deus Ex: The Fall.

"Shift to" and "accelerate" generally implies a growing trend however!

Perhaps, but unless they start laying off people like crazy, I don't see them dramatically decreasing the amount of console games they make (which isn't very many).

EDIT: Basically, like oh-so-many threads about vague interview statements and reports, people love the throw themselves on the ground and shrivel up at the mere hint of trouble.

Vitor711

Such a shame, they are bringing Eidos with them to the grave.

The only section of SE that was propping them up and they force them to basically commit suicide by putting out games like Nosgoth (which looks mediocre at best).

So long Hitman, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider and the rest.

Skeff

This is making me put waaay too much hope in Sony's JRPG project...

Poor Final Fantasy, Goodnight sweet Prince.

Im really impressed how SE is talking the two approach that brought down a lot of companies last gen: Making games with online integration and trusting the shaky mobile market.

I hope Level 5 and Sega Sammy acquire a lot of IPs and talent from the inevitable bankruptcy bids.

Pft. Level 5 is one of the companies leading the smartphone charge.

Hyunashi

Inevitable with how well FF14 became for them. It sucks. I dont have faith for them making anything for consoles other than FF and KH anymore.

And lol at people underestimating the smartphone market. Its obviously bigger in asia than in western countries.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So cashing in online stuff is the new thing and SE wanting a piece of that pie is not something unsurprising. =/ Sad that this shit actually happened though.

Eusis

The only section of SE that was propping them up and they force them to basically commit suicide by putting out games like Nosgoth (which looks mediocre at best).

So long Hitman, Deus Ex and the rest.
SE seems to have quite a few other entertainment ventures, like manga and figurines. More like Eidos kept people aware of the SE name outside of Japan/Asia if that.

Thoraxes

Oh man, can't wait for more new ga-

*reads slides*

dIq2D80.gif

Takao

Banned
Im really impressed how SE is talking the two approach that brought down a lot of companies last gen: Making games with online integration and trusting the shaky mobile market.

I hope Level 5 and Sega Sammy acquire a lot of IPs and talent from the inevitable bankruptcy bids.

Level-5? Let Square's IPs rot.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Perhaps, but unless they start laying off people like crazy, I don't see them dramatically decreasing the amount of console games they make (which isn't very many).

Right I expect them to still make the MMOs (those are a core part of their strategy as previously outlined) and their AAAA titles (FFXV, KH3), presumably DQ 3DS games, BD2, and about everything else to be smartphone. Since smartphone games can be made by small teams however they can get tons of contractors to make them and still fit the acceleration part.

The online games thing for Eidos is just making their console games online focused, which they went over in that blog post earlier this year.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't like this at all.
I'll probably end not buying any of their games, if they'll come this way...
At least they will still develop something for 3DS that appeals me, possibly localizing it...

This is a shame. I was really looking forward to their next Thief and Tomb Rai-

Wait ... what are we worried about again? Deus Ex HR was fun for a couple of hours but that is going back a while now. Who knows what sleeping dogs would end up as.

Vorg

Banned
Can't wait to play Dragon Quest VIII and Agito on my JXD s7800! That said, I hope this doesn't mean they'll stop making console games. Also, I really hope they let Eidos continue to do their thing.

Hyunashi

Right I expect them to still make the MMOs (those are a core part of their strategy as previously outlined) and their AAAA titles (FFXV, KH3), presumably DQ 3DS games, BD2, and about everything else to be smartphone.

The online games thing for Eidos is just making their console games online focused, which they went over in that blog post earlier this year.

I agree with this.

SE's console sales were growing?

Or do you mean console sales in general?
KH 1.5 and FF XIV did pretty good.

Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution and Tomb Raider eventually turned profits and sold good numbers. I just don't understand their recent shift in focus to mobile and social titles but since it all started to happen after Wada's resignation, i blame the new CEO.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution and Tomb Raider eventually turned profits and sold good numbers. I just don't understand their recent shift in focus to mobile and social titles but since it all started to happen after Wada's resignation, i blame the new CEO.

We have a winner.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is about 'digital' products as opposed to boxed products, right?

No this is their overall corporate strategy.

They have things like "amusement" which is slot machines and "publishing" which is manga, whereas "Digital Entertainment" is their video game business.

I added a note to the OP to clarify this since I realize it can be confusing.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Shit was going down before Wada resigned. The new CEO merely perfected it.

kmax

This is bad news. Even though they won't completely abandon the console market, shifting focus towards online and devices is going to decrease the output of future console games.

It's sad, considering that they really made a heavy bet on this gen with the purchase of Eidos.

Top Bottom