• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's new plan: Eidos focus = online games; Japan accelerating work on phones

Eusis

Is anyone here really surprised? Final Fantasy XIV, an online game, got them out of the hole single-handedly--and some of you bought it twice. You the consumer have told Square that you want and will pay for online games, and so they're making more.

Do you think Blizzard will be making any offline games soon?
That's like the only Japan-side game they made lately that was more or less agreed upon to be pretty good though, and Blizzard's only fondly remembered SP game was Lost Vikings.

Not that it would be unlike SE at all to disregard that most of their more beloved games were SP games. Though for whatever it's worth MMOs are more tentpoles to reliably profit off of than something to keep firing out.

If this genuinely is the case 3 years down the line, hopefully the talent at the AAA studios moves on to other companies that aren't so useless.

MilkBeard

...and after they've run their franchises into the ground, they'll shed staff. And once they've shed staff, they'll close up shops. And when there are no more shops to close, they'll sell labels. And when there are no more franchises worth a damn, and there are no staff to fire, and there are no more shops to close, and no more labels to sell... they will give us our FFVII re-make. And we'll look down and whisper "No"...
RORSCHACH-lrg.gif

So long old friends...

No, that is when Sakaguchi will purchase the Final Fantasy name from the dying carcass that is Square Enix and it will be rightfully returned to the creator's hand. And then all the remaining talent at SE will migrate to Mistwalker, and then we will see the return of the King.

I can dream...

Some Nobody

I'm guessing Sleeping Dogs 2 Triad Wars works a lot like GTA Online.

This would be relatively inoffensive if it meant that they were going to make a detailed, fully fleshed out single player mode. But if the entire game is GTA Online, then...ew.

MormaPope

Banned
What does this mean for a Deus Ex sequel? Human Revolution was awesome, one of the best games this gen. No more like it?

Imagine Fuse, but in first person and with CoD gunplay. You play through 10 or so missions in 4 player co-op. Weapon packs, skins, skills, and characters are micro transactions, but you can still grind to get those things. Mission DLC is sold, new missions, new maps.

Would not be shocked if this is the new future for Deus Ex, or at least the multiplayer portion itself.

Nibel

So what is the chance that they'll include F2P shit into XV? I mean they have the infrastructure from the console makers and a crazy new CEO

Oh lord if they fuck this one up

ibvw54SQpOIu8J.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I am really starting to see GAF as a dinosaur with the kneejerk "mobile games = shit" reaction.

iOS7 has an official controller API so chill out people.

TnK

Well I'm generally just posting Square Enix news. It's Square Enix who decides the quality of said news. ^_^
I know, but it breaks my heart a bit every single time ='(
We get hilarious threads like this though, so keep up the good work?

lNFDxGr.jpg

Everything that comes out of SE is heartbreak these days. I think I'm going to play some Brave Fencer Musashiden to cheer me up
and probably make me sad again

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
They started out good getting a new engine in the works... but if it's only going to be used for two major games then it's a massive waste.

I seem to recall something about how Luminous can be used for mobile platforms too. Isn't FF Agito using parts of it or something like that?

Piccoro

Can't they just exchange the management instead? (;一_一)
This would be the most perfect business strategy right now. For real.

Damn it!
Well, guess the last Square games I'l be playing will be FFXV and KH3. Then bye bye, good riddance!

We still have Atlus and a lot of companies much better than squeenix, anyway!

big_erk

"Transform the fixed price model to variable earnings models"

Fuck this. I am now officially done with them. Even though Final Fantasy jumped the shark long ago, I still hoped that they would pull it back from the precipice.

Grayman

What does this mean for a Deus Ex sequel? Human Revolution was awesome, one of the best games this gen. No more like it?
Best case scenario is that it has "tacked on" multiplayer with lots of DLC. Medium case scenario the multiplayer is integrated into the campaign somewhere and has consumable item DLC. Worst case scenario its a free to play shooter where you need to buy energy bars to use your cybernetic augments. You also paid for the augments.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I seem to recall something about how Luminous can be used for mobile platforms too. Isn't FF Agito using parts of it or something like that?

No it is not.
And while they can, the graphical showpieces for Luminous were obviously mean for next gen consoles/high end PCs.

Skunkers

I never asked for this.

Such a complete and utter shame. Really staggering to see a company go from being one of the best developers on the planet, dropping several bona fide classics per year to this within the span of two generations. Exacerbated by the fact they are apparently taking Eidos down with them, whose recent output like Deus Ex and Tomb Raider has been fantastic.

I also hate folks who play armchair manager because managing a company like this is infinitely more complicated than a lot of GAF make it out to be, but in this case, bad management really shoulders 100% of the blame. Their inability to develop modern titles efficiently and on a realistic timetable is the root issue for all their troubles, and it's shockingly apparent even to outsider fans halfway around the world. And that's something that smart management could fix. A damn shame.

They brought this fate on themselves. This is what greed and listening to the 'hardcore' will get you. A swift and sudden fall from grace. I hope no one commits seppuku.

I am really starting to see GAF as a dinosaur with the kneejerk "mobile games = shit" reaction.

Really? I welcome good RPGs and stradegy rpgs on iOS and android. Touch screen is great for these types of games.

Ferrio

Banned
They brought this fate on themselves. This is what greed and listening to the 'hardcore' will get you. A swift and sudden fall from grace. I hope no one commits seppuku.

What hardcore were they listening to? Far as I can tell any of their decisions for the past decade haven't been motivated by their hardcore fans.

Kientin

Man I hope FFXV is good. With it possibly being the last big budget mainline game, I would like to see it go out with a bang at least. :(

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
No it is not.
And while they can, the graphical showpieces for Luminous were obviously mean for next gen consoles/high end PCs.

Yah it would be a pity for them if they can't actually use what they build.

SE should stop trying to do so many things at the same time and looking fragmented and schizophrenic.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No it is not.
They did mention they intend to extend it to mobile at one point a la Unreal and CryEngine, but yeah obviously that wasn't the main point.

Eusis

An awkward attachment really isn't ideal, the marketplace is practically drowning in freemium focused crap, and failing all else the most genuinely appealing mobile game that came from SE came from the west, not Japan.

Plus to keep up with mobile can actually be way more costly than just sticking with a console or handheld, doubly so depending on how freemium games are structured.
Seriously though, who's gonna buy Murdered: Soul Suspect? How is that still a thing that exists?
It actually does look interesting to me, but until it's closer to release it's off the radar entirely.

An awkward attachment really isn't ideal, the marketplace is practically drowning in freemium focused crap, and failing all else the most genuinely appealing mobile game that came from SE came from the west, not Japan.

Plus to keep up with mobile can actually be way more costly than just sticking with a console or handheld, doubly so depending on how freemium games are structured.

Don't forget Square Enix's sterling output of mobile titles including such gems as Final Fantasy All The Bravest.

L~A

Well, that confirms it then. The World Ends With You 2 iOS only, DQXI too, probably, and Bravely Default, if on 3DS, will probably be filled to the brim with microtransactions.

Yeah, I'm overreacting about BD2, but this news (even though not surprising at all) doesn't fill me with confidence.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I tested mobile games. I really tried to get into it. I ended up buying one of these japanese handhelds...

Game Boy and Game Gear games were pretty primitive too.

But mobile phones wlll have their "Dragon Quest 9 goes to handheld" moment and all will be fine.

With the processing power of these phones, and controller APIs, what "mobile" meant in 200X will not be what it means in the future.

Games on that platform will always be inferior. ALWAYS.

Hopefully you are being knowingly satirical ;)

*Reads thread*

hC0627E27_zps7e70ce3d.gif

tumblr_mbcmdl61wk1rx8lgjo1_500.gif

God damn SE you deserve to die in a fire now, i hope you crash and burn and have to sell all your IP's to someone deserving!
Ahhhh this is so damn infuriating!

MormaPope

Banned
Final Fantasy published by EA and developed by Bioware would be incredibly bonkers. It would be some sort of Dragon Age/Mass Effect hybrid.

Eusis

Don't forget Square Enix's sterling output of mobile titles including such gems as Final Fantasy All The Bravest.
Yeah, there's developers we can trust more with this I'd think, and certainly mobile tends to work best for quick time killer games that are just quick dumb fun, but SE's just not one of those developers, and they were mostly known for games that AREN'T quick time killer games. It's actually arguably a reason why the idea of Nintendo going mobile isn't altogether BAD as abhorrent as the notion is to me and many others, but we want bigger and more epic out of SE regularly. Though admittedly controller options can help there, nevermind some games don't really need that much anyway.
With the processing power of these phones, and controller APIs, what "mobile" meant in 200X will not be what it means in the future.
At a minimum the freemium school of design must die a brutal, painful death, whether it's consumers actively starting to reject those games or government agencies deciding they're a legitimate spending problem and clasping down. But that may be something that has to happen for games on a whole anyway given we're seeing signs of this on consoles, handhelds, and especially PC.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously though, who's gonna buy Murdered: Soul Suspect? How is that still a thing that exists?

The premise seems interesting so I would probably get that. It's just that the timing of the game doesn't seem right. it should have been released earlier. I wonder what their sales expectations are for that one.

monome

In my heart,

I still believe S-E will publish one day a Dragon Quest action game with Toriyama's designs in the vein of the anime Abel Yuusha.

Top Bottom