• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's new plan: Eidos focus = online games; Japan accelerating work on phones

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The problem is most don't want a controller attachment for their phone. Especially is said attachment is an extra purchase. Add-on peripherals almost never achieve critical mass. Not to mention, if I am going to carry around the extra bulk of a controller for my phone I'd much rather dedicate said bulk to my handhelds (3DS and Vita).

Let's see what these iOS7 compatible controllers look like before we dismiss them outright.

I think it's about as much of a non-issue as buying a controller for your PC.

VillageBC

At this stage I kind of wish SE to just fold up shop and bedone. Leave me with my nostalgic happy memories intact rather then become this thing I hate.

Sequels of 'Dragon Quest' series will appear on mobile devices.

So that means the series is a smartphone series from here on?

The decision to go to smartphone with sequels to Dragon Quest makes so little sense considering their last handheld title was the highest selling in the franchise. If DQXI is not for 3DS, a platform that is currently booming in the most popular Dragon Quest country, then Square-Enix really has no fucking clue what they're doing.

Perkel

Banned
This basically means:

- FFXV will be the last FF as we know it
- KH3 will be the last KH game in series
- EIDOS after Thief and new DeusEx will close due to exodus of talent
- Square enix will reach Zynga level status

No one wins here.

Let's hope FFX and KH3 will sell a lot.

Toki767

It's so hard to believe the two companies who at one time held the two most popular franchises in Japan merging together resulted in this. And yet here we are.

urfe

I won't buy Dragon Quest XI if it's only for smart devices.

Hopefully the old Dragon Quests will be released via VC on 3DS or Wii U and I can just play those for eternity.

Yagharek

This basically means:

- FFXV will be the last FF as we know it
- KH3 will be the last KH game in series
- EIDOS after Thief and new DeusEx will close due to exodus of talent
- Square enix will reach Zynga level status

No one wins here.

Let's hope FFX and KH3 will sell a lot.

Wasnt ff12 the last ff as we knew it?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Deus Ex could still be good you guys...

FaceDa

Banned
FF5 has one of the best game systems ever put into an RPG, even with the atrociously redone graphics the game should still be a blast to actually play. Mobile games themselves aren't the problem for most people; Square-Enix mobile games are the problem.

I thought the graphics looked pretty good actually, the in-battle sprites for enemies looked great and the spell effects don't look ugly as hell anymore.

KiteGr

tears.jpg

Jackano

This is the second death of Square, alongside Enix now.
The most worrying thing are at what point their teams will re-organize (and eventually be unable to quickly leverage again) and how their franchises will (worst case scenario) be devaluated. Such a contrast with Nintendo's speech...

Eusis

they didn't merge. Enix bought bankrupt Square. Without that Squaresoft would die in 2001
They waited on Squaresoft to recover actually, apparently merging was always something people like Wada sought.

And it didn't happen until 2003 so it'd be kind of amazing if a failure to merge killed them retroactively.

EDIT: And if anything SE would be the new LucasArts, except they're also the parent company. Chasing trends, neglecting many beloved IPs they have while hemorrhaging the vets that made them who they are, etc.

I didn't play the Tomb Raider multiplayer.

I don't actually know how one turns Tomb Raider into some sort of online-only game.

Is it like the last episode of Buffy when everyone becomes the Slayer? Everyone is a Lara.

Coxy

What a sad way to die, a villain to your people

Whoever buys their IPs after they're dead, drop me a line

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
welp

time to accept this and say goodbye SE and thanks for all the memories ;_;

nah, still hoping for console/handheld DQXI that will be the shit! never surrender #believe

Every time Nirolak makes a thread these days I tremble with fear :eek:

jimi_dini

Fuck you Square Enix

I mean seriously.

After Hitman Absolution and the Tomb Raider abomination, I can't really say that I shed a tear. Sad about no proper Deus Ex:HR sequel, but well, maybe it's better that way. Otherwise they would have made an Deus Ex: Absolution *shudder*

E92 M3

I really wanted Just Cause 3 :(

Sad to see what happened to Square. Back in the day, I'd buy some of their games just based on trust. Xenogears was one of those games and it became my favorite jrpg.

Coldsun

Banned
Is it wrong I wish Square Enix as a whole company could get a FFXIV treatment? Just go dark for a while, get their cards in order, and come back out amazing?

Top Bottom