• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's new plan: Eidos focus = online games; Japan accelerating work on phones

Ferrio

Banned
Game Boy and Game Gear games were pretty primitive too.

But mobile phones wlll have their "Dragon Quest 9 goes to handheld" moment and all will be fine.

With the processing power of these phones, and controller APIs, what "mobile" meant in 200X will not be what it means in the future.

It doesn't matter the processing power, controller or whatever. It's not just the platform that people don't like, it's the way that game companies are treating it. If they're making tons of money churning out crap games with microtransactions what makes you think they'll start putting more effort into them to support all this new stuff?

Lakitu

st5fu
I swear if they shove in some bullshit MMO component in the next Deus Ex... I don't know.. But I swear man... I fucking swear........

Some company more worthy should own Square Enix's IP's. It's hard to expect anything good to be done on a consistent basis at this state.

Alvarez

Banned
So what is the chance that they'll include F2P shit into XV? I mean they have the infrastructure from the console makers and a crazy new CEO

Oh lord if they fuck this one up

ibvw54SQpOIu8J.gif

Optional Character Pack 1, $9.99 - Unlocks Matoya Wendigo, a powerful sorceress who can be recruited in the Tenebran Catacombs.

Optional Character Pack 2, $9.99 - Unlocks Cor Leonis, a legendary swordsman who can be recruited in Lucis Castle's West Wing.

Online Access, $9/month - Allows you to play online co-op with friends.

Optional Boss Pack, $5.99 - Adds 5 optional bosses, including the dreaded Omega Weapon, to the game.

Stella Costume Pack, $3.99 - 2 new costumes for Stella.

Stella Costume Pack 2, $5.99 - Dress Stella up in a sexy nightgown!

Stella Costume Pack 3, $3.99 - Unlock a beach bikini outfit for Stella.

Alternate Ending Pack, $9.99 - Unlock 4 extra endings, including the "Good Ending" and the "Secret Ending".

Hard Mode, $5.99 - Adds Hard Mode to the game.

Lightning Is Back, $19.99 - Replaces the in-game Stella model with Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII.

Extra Battle Music, $6.99 - Adds 7 new battle themes!

The engine is yet to be finished and is being integrated into a game that's been in dev hell for years, so it's not even fully utilizing it really. lol. The kicker is that we're probably not going to see said game until 2015. LOL.

It's brutal to watch. They're barely even going to use this promising engine outside of another forced MMO aren't they... :(

What hardcore were they listening to? Far as I can tell any of their decisions for the past decade haven't been motivated by their hardcore fans.

The millions of people who bought FF13 and its many pointless sequels. The real shame is that Squaresoft has dragged poor Enix down with it into the abyss of mobileocrity.

I miss the old times when Square and Enix were among the best developers one could imagine. This is just sad... please SE, stop ruining beloved franchises.

I am really starting to see GAF as a dinosaur with the kneejerk "mobile games = shit" reaction.

iOS7 has an official controller API so chill out people.

Mobile platforms have been big now for, what, five years? How many genuinely deep and interesting games are there? Seriously. I'm not being antagonistic, but I'm happy to be educated on the subject. I like mobile games, on the whole - on my Galaxy S3 I've got Broken Sword, Osmos HD, World of Goo, Dungeon Village, Great Little War Game, Cut The Rope, Zenonia, Organ Trail, etc. But none of them are comparable to a good console experience that requires proper controls, like BioShock or Demon's Souls or Infamous. We'll never get these kind of games on mobile platforms, so they're always going to be far inferior to proper consoles.

Is anyone here really surprised? Final Fantasy XIV, an online game, got them out of the hole single-handedly--and some of you bought it twice. You the consumer have told Square that you want and will pay for online games, and so they're making more.

Do you think Blizzard will be making any offline games soon?

Just because some consumers approve of a couple of online games they've made does not mean we want all of their games to be online. You can't blame consumers for Squeenix's stupid decisions like these. Christ, out of all publishers in the world, Square Enix are probably furthest from actually doing what their audience wants them to.

They were in the hole in the first place because of FFXIV. Lol

And ironically enough, Enix merged with Squaresoft when they lost money hand-over-fist after Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within bombed. Maybe they should consider branching out a little and not focusing so heavily on the FF brand. Obviously they're not going to do that though.

big_erk

Game Boy and Game Gear games were pretty primitive too.

But mobile phones wlll have their "Dragon Quest 9 goes to handheld" moment and all will be fine.

With the processing power of these phones, and controller APIs, what "mobile" meant in 200X will not be what it means in the future.

Hopefully you are being knowingly satirical ;)

The problem is most don't want a controller attachment for their phone. Especially is said attachment is an extra purchase. Add-on peripherals almost never achieve critical mass. Not to mention, if I am going to carry around the extra bulk of a controller for my phone I'd much rather dedicate said bulk to my handhelds (3DS and Vita).

MormaPope

Banned
At this point, I'm not totally apposed to the idea and that makes me sad.

At least with EA Final Fantasy would get released on consoles every few years. The tine frame for FF XIII and it's sequels wasn't terrible, but FF XIII as it's own franchise isn't enticing at all.

FaceDa

Banned
It doesn't matter the processing power, controller or whatever. It's not just the platform that people don't like, it's the way that game companies are treating it. If they're making tons of money churning out crap games with microtransactions what makes you think they'll start putting more effort into them to support all this new stuff?

I dunno I had a great time with FF5 on iOS, which had 0 in the way of microtransactions but was much more expensive than similar phone games. It's basically a higher resolution port though.

Only an innovative, forward thinking company like S-E understands that mobile is the future, while simultaneously, no real effort is required in the development of mobile games. Preferably as little as possible.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
That's because they had nothing before. In a decade they'll be lamenting what happened to Square Enix as well.

They kind of already are, along with Hong Kong. This Chinese forum that I go to occasionally have very similar opinions whenever there's new FF news. They thought that Lightning's costumes are ugly too. And some have the same sentiments as English speaking audience.

Consoles are banned in China but that doesn't mean they don't smuggle or import or go pirated.

kmax

Well, I think that they don't believe that the console market is as viable and fruitful as it once was anymore. SE has been leaking money in recent years, with having FFXV in development hell for years (a project that misses its deadline year in and year out is going to cost). They purchased Eidos in hopes of reaching and penetrating the western markets, but many of the games failed to meet the initial sales targets. They also spent a shit ton of money on developing the Luminous Engine, which they sadly won't be able to utilise as much, now that they're shifting focus away from the console market.

I mean, I could see why they'd feel inclined to shift focus, since they haven't been profitable as they would like, but I don't think that becoming a second tier publisher is the answer. They're essentially shifting focus towards the asian markets.

monome

It's brutal to watch. They're barely even going to use this promising engine outside of another forced MMO aren't they... :(

Luminous is obviously meant to be used in Project Flare.

whether S-E will still exist by the time they are ready to deliver on their movie quality cloud based games is obviously a matter of that transition to online/smartphones actually pulling them back to being a profitable company.

After they turned Sleeping Dogs 2 into 'Triad Wars' and canned Dead Sun for 'Nosgoth' I knew this was inevitable.

I just didn't want to admit it.

I dunno I had a great time with FF5 on iOS, which had 0 in the way of microtransactions but was much more expensive than similar phone games. It's basically a higher resolution port though.

FF5 has one of the best game systems ever put into an RPG, even with the atrociously redone graphics the game should still be a blast to actually play. Mobile games themselves aren't the problem for most people; Square-Enix mobile games are the problem.

So they're going to flush all the money they invested into rebooting Eidos' games down the toilet? If I don't get a Tomb Raider sequel, I'm going to Japan to flip their damn headquarters. Not a magazine rack, the whole damn building.

Amatsu

Neo Member
Welp, I just finished signing up for a class learning how to hand carve gravestones.

I'll be carving an SE one for my final exam. My tears will wash away the residue as I chisel a fitting epitaph.

No surprises, right, SE? No surprises.

Suzzopher

Sequels of 'Dragon Quest' series will appear on mobile devices.

So that means the series is a smartphone series from here on?

Top Bottom